• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictm

Banned
For those saying the PS4.5 will trump the NX, in theory, I'll propose a question:

Would you rather:
Sell/junk/give away your PS4 and get a ps4.5 that plays all the same games, some of them slightly better
OR
Get an all new system with all new games AND keep your PS4 and still be able to play 99% of PS4 games?

I know some will pick option 1, but I think a lot more would pick option 2. I think an even bigger chunk will pick option 3, though - 'keep my ps4, don't get either ps4k or the NX'

Option 2 for me.

And for the people out there who haven;t upgraded to last gen - Microsoft keep saying they are trying to court them - if there's a console that has all the big 3rd party AND the newest Nintendo games they remember from their childhood years maybe thats tempting.

Although price and what their friend shave is usually the main selling point.

Nintendo consoles have been a second console for me since the Gamecube but i always get one.

Agreed. I think Sony and MS REALLY want to stretch out the gen to at least 6+ years.
Yep. That's the business of today's technology of releasing upgrades on a basis.

I think all that matters is NX is around the same power of the PS4 or PS4K and it'll be fine. It doesn't have to be the most powerful system.

The PS2 and Wii were not the most powerful systems. All we should worry is Nintendo makes a powerful system comparable to its competition, it has great first party games, it has 3rd party games and the features people want like online, achievements, system voice chat, etc.

ZOONAMI

Yep. That's the business of today's technology of releasing upgrades on a basis.

I think all that matters is NX is around the same power of the PS4 or PS4K and it'll be fine. It doesn't have to be the most powerful system.

The PS2 and Wii were not the most powerful systems. All we should worry is Nintendo makes a powerful system comparable to its competition, it has great first party games, it has 3rd party games and the features people want like online, achievements, system voice chat, etc.

And hopefully uhd bluray movie support, or at the very least regular bluray.

Ogodei

I can't see why they wouldn't port Splatoon whether or not they can transfer data. They need to keep it alive for eSports purposes, as i've long said.

Honestly i'd look forward to starting from scratch. I've got nearly nothing left to buy in that game that i want, and it'd be fun to have a period where you couldn't tell who's just low-ranked and who's a real noob.

MrBigBoy

With a market this full of competitors, they cannot really sit around. They have to jump in at some point.

Like Sony should be doing for the potential PS4 to PS4k owners, Nintendo should have some upgrade/part exchange programme in place for Wii-U to NX users. Its Nintendo's fault they are dropping the system early, so they should incentivise users to jump in day 1.
I'm not exchanging my Wind Waker SE Wii U tho.

pooh

Hoping for uhd bluray movie support so I don't have to buy a ps4k if that actually happens, or a $400 standalone bluray player.

I don't understand how nintendo doesn't think not supporting the main physical movie media makes any kind of sense. It was clearly a major part of the problem for gamecube and wii u. Wii was different because it was so cheap vs 360 and especially ps3 from the get go. And it had the motion control craze going for it.

It is a major part of the value proposition for the average consumer if other factors are relatively close (graphical power, games, price, etc) $400 ps4k that plays 4k blurays vs 299-350, NX that doesn't, most people are going to take the ps4k.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but bluray, and physical media in general, is dying. Netflix and other streaming services are quickly taking over. The ability to play DVDs was huge for the PS2, but times have changed. This kind of functionality is no longer something that most consumers would care much for, and I don't see why Nintendo would want to spend the extra money on something that is disappearing so quickly.

And hopefully uhd bluray movie support, or at the very least regular bluray.

Tbh I don't see this happening at all. Nintendo didn't have bluray for the Wii U I don't think they'll care at all since in today's age; there's an emphasis on digital streaming. Also, Nintendo never had a DVD player I think lol.

Then there's the whole "maybe th NX console will use cartridges".

Zoon

Option 2 for me.

And for the people out there who haven;t upgraded to last gen - Microsoft keep saying they are trying to court them - if there's a console that has all the big 3rd party AND the newest Nintendo games they remember from their childhood years maybe thats tempting.

Although price and what their friend shave is usually the main selling point.

Nintendo consoles have been a second console for me since the Gamecube but i always get one.

This is correct.A lot of my friends who basically grew up with Nintendo are buying PS4s just for playing FIFA and NBA. If Nintendo could add those games to their lineup they would gain a lot more sales than people think.

Hydrus

So yesterday I was thinking about what kind of gimmicks the NX might have, and I thought of something. What if the NX comes with a camera like device that is basicly a kinect and 3D eye tracking like in the 3ds. Games would have glasses free 3d on your tv and you would be able to interact with 3d objects and have gameplay based around it.

nvidia3dtv_play.jpg

Imagine playing 3d Mario and coins would fly off the screen and you would be able to touch them to add to your total. Anyways just something I thought up. Not sure if this idea has been thrown around or even possible, but sounds like a very Nintendo thing.

21XX

Banned
With a market this full of competitors, they cannot really sit around. They have to jump in at some point.

Like Sony should be doing for the potential PS4 to PS4k owners, Nintendo should have some upgrade/part exchange programme in place for Wii-U to NX users. Its Nintendo's fault they are dropping the system early, so they should incentivise users to jump in day 1.

If you bought the systems, the companies do not owe you anything. You did not buy a faulty product -- you bought one that failed.

benedictm

Banned

They will never do that. Why would they?

I hope you would be able to get a discount on the apparent remasters of games if you already own them. Even that is far from certain though.

bachikarn

Those people are already exceptionally well served by other platforms.

Well Nintendo has to go after that market. Who else is there? Casuals aren't coming back. People need to give up on the idea that Nintendo is going to have some magical gimmick that will get them back. They are more than happy with mobile, and they aren't going to convert to core gamers like Nintendo thought they could be.

Their main goal should be to get the people who still haven't upgraded from last gen to get an NX. Having the best graphics can be a selling point. It is not everything but it is part of the equation.

Raide

If you bought the systems, the companies do not owe you anything. You did not buy a faulty product -- you bought one that failed.

They will never do that. Why would they?

I hope you would be able to get a discount on the apparent remasters of games if you already own them. Even that is far from certain though.

Good will I guess. Nintendo messed up, not the consumer, so it seems a little harsh to say "Fuck it, pay us more money now!" but that is probably how it will work.

ZOONAMI

I'm sorry to tell you this, but bluray, and physical media in general, is dying. Netflix and other streaming services are quickly taking over. The ability to play DVDs was huge for the PS2, but times have changed. This kind of functionality is no longer something that most consumers would care much for, and I don't see why Nintendo would want to spend the extra money on something that is disappearing so quickly.

I think you're wrong. People still buy a shit ton of DVDs and blurays, and 4k uhd support would be a differentiator for the tech enthusiasts out there, like myself.

Bluray and DVD sales were $6+ billion in the US alone last year, and there are more than 5 million 4k TV sets in the US, and hardly any of them have a 4k player yet, as the only player on the market from Samsung just became available.

I have heard people ask about the wii u in stores on several occasions if it can play blurays, and when the answer is no, they don't buy it.

MK_768

This is correct.A lot of my friends who basically grew up with Nintendo are buying PS4s just for playing FIFA and NBA. If Nintendo could add those games to their lineup they would gain a lot more sales than people think.

Yup. The power of friends is real the last couple gens. I mean I got a 360 solely because all of my friends had it and were playing Cod 4. I wanted in on the fun. Now I will say that I'm very happy with my 360 lol. Played it as much as the Wii.

PS4 tho...meh. My purchase hasn't been worth it yet. Black Ops 3 was good but I need more. The remasters mean nothing to me because I have a PS3.

jerry5278

Neo Member
So yesterday I was thinking about what kind of gimmicks the NX might have, and I thought of something. What if the NX comes with a camera like device that is basicly a kinect and 3D eye tracking like in the 3ds. Games would have glasses free 3d on your tv and you would be able to interact with 3d objects and have gameplay based around it.

Imagine playing 3d Mario and coins would fly off the screen and you would be able to touch them to add to your total. Anyways just something I thought up. Not sure if this idea has been thrown around or even
possible, but sounds like a very Nintendo thing.

This would be amazing.

benedictm

Banned

Lots of people on GAF forget that the lions share of the profits don't come from avid gamers. They come from the people who buy a console, get Cod and Fifa, watch Netflix and thats it. These are the bulk purchasers

This is also why i don;t think the PS4k would be anything more than a ps4 that streams 4k video content and maybe upscales games. This is the customer base all the console makers are really after.

ZOONAMI

Tbh I don't see this happening at all. Nintendo didn't have bluray for the Wii U I don't think they'll care at all since in today's age; there's an emphasis on digital streaming. Also, Nintendo never had a DVD player I think lol.

Then there's the whole "maybe th NX console will use cartridges".

Maybe that's part of their problem, not supporting the predominant form of physical media on the market?

georly

Well Nintendo has to go after that market. Who else is there? Casuals aren't coming back. People need to give up on the idea that Nintendo is going to have some magical gimmick that will get them back. They are more than happy with mobile, and they aren't going to convert to core gamers like Nintendo thought they could be.

Their main goal should be to get the people who still haven't upgraded from last gen to get an NX. Having the best graphics can be a selling point. It is not everything but it is part of the equation.

Their gimmick should be their back-end community/ecosystem that drives player engagement, rather than a control method. I look forward to seeing what they do.

benedictm

Banned
Good will I guess. Nintendo messed up, not the consumer, so it seems a little harsh to say "Fuck it, pay us more money now!" but that is probably how it will work.

I point you to Nintendo's handling of Virtual Console - 'keep buying the same game again and again on different systems. No discount!' - for an example of what will probably happen.

MK_768

I dont think you are right. I think we are seeing a new normal being created with digital living side-by-side with physical media.

Physical media isn't going anywhere.

The_Lump

Banned
For those saying the PS4.5 will trump the NX, in theory, I'll propose a question:

Would you rather:
Sell/junk/give away your PS4 and get a ps4.5 that plays all the same games, some of them slightly better
OR
Get an all new system with all new games AND keep your PS4 and still be able to play 99% of PS4 games?

I know some will pick option 1, but I think a lot more would pick option 2. I think an even bigger chunk will pick option 3, though - 'keep my ps4, don't get either ps4k or the NX'

Exactly.

Of course some, maybe many, will choose option 1, but either way those implying NX is already somehow irrelevant because of PS4K need to careful read and think about the above.

MrBigBoy

Imagine playing 3d Mario and coins would fly off the screen and you would be able to touch them to add to your total. Anyways just something I thought up. Not sure if this idea has been thrown around or even possible, but sounds like a very Nintendo thing.
This was discussed in another NX thread IIRC. Nintendo has a patent for it and there even is a game for the DSi that did this. But only depth tho, not things coming out of the screen.

Pastry

Banned
Lots of people on GAF forget that the lions share of the profits don't come from avid gamers. They come from the people who buy a console, get Cod and Fifa, watch Netflix and thats it. These are the bulk purchasers

This is also why i don;t think the PS4k would be anything more than a ps4 that streams 4k video content and maybe upscales games. This is the customer base all the console makers are really after.

Right, and PS4 (or Xbox One) fill that niche and will likely be cheaper than the NX.

This right here. Get refunds for buying the wii u...lol. No company in the world would ever do that. You bought their product and if it fails it's your problem that you lost money. Deal with it and don't expect to get gifts all the time from every one.

MK_768

I point you to Nintendo's handling of Virtual Console - 'keep buying the same game again and again on different systems. No discount!' - for an example of what will probably happen.

Well to be fair, there was a discount for Wii U owners who got the games on Wii. Of course this means nothing to the handheld VCs.

It's a monstrosity and I really hope that the NX doesn't suggest we buy the same games for the 4th or 5th time lmfao. Of course we don't have to, but you get what I'm saying. People don't want to plug in their Wii to play Super Mario Bros 3. They want to play it on their new system but Nintendo is backwards....this leads consumers to buy the game again.

Peru

I think this is more a matter of scale than anything else. Particularly on NX, there shouldn't be a meaningful difference between developing for a handheld than a console except for the fact that the console will have more detailed assets and a few extra graphical effects enabled. It's not like the whole "HD development" aspect of working on the Wii U, which was as much a matter of moving from a fixed function to fully programmable graphics architecture as it was asset complexity.

In any case, if Nintendo is truly going to move to near-100% cross-device development, it's not a case of "developing it for the handheld and porting up to the console". As is the current situation with pretty much any third party, whether they're working on UE4, Unity or an internal engine like Frostbite, they don't develop for one device and then port, they develop for all devices at the same time and then have a small team responsible for optimising for each platform. Most employees at third party studios could do their job perfectly well without having a damn clue what platforms their game is due to run on, so long as they're given sensible instructions on expected asset complexity, etc. Developing a game that runs across both a Nintendo home console and a Nintendo handheld wouldn't be enormously different. You create assets that are either as detailed as your highest-end target can handle or as detailed as you can afford and then you scale down to the lower targets. You write game logic that can properly run on each device, and then you compile everything together and optimise and go through QA for each one.

Thanks for the info - for those of us without any clue about the finer details of the technical side this is valuable info. Hopefully cross-device development is something they're looking at.

Calamari41

41 > 38

You could transfer your VC games from Wii to Wii U for free, or upgrade them to the Wii U version with save states and button remapping for a buck.

Yes it's been thrown around a little, You didn't see their patent? I'm not sure how good it would be for 'out of the screen' things as you ideally need stereoscopic for that.
But imagine you had crosshairs in the middle of the screen and minute head adjustments could affect the line of sight from your eyes and beyond the crosshairs,might be quite effective.

This right here. Get refunds for buying the wii u...lol. No company in the world would ever do that. You bought their product and if it fails it's your problem that you lost money. Deal with it and don't expect to get gifts all the time from every one.
I'm 100% on this. Products fail all the time. Nobody forced you to buy anything. I don't ever expect Sony or Nintendo to repay me for purchasing their systems and games. I did it on my own will and if their products failed then oh well it happens.

Banned
Augmented reality will be the NX gimmick. Holograms projecting from TV's, sensors, and mini cameras around the room. Like hololens, but more efficient. Nintendo outdoing Microsoft from right under their noses.

Taker666

It wouldn't really be 3D ..plus the big issue is that TV's will have varying amounts of lag.. which would mess up the tracking.

MoonFrog

To use Zelda as an example of how Nintendo can break this stigma: if Nintendo manages to make Zelda the best open-world game out there (this doesn't have to be universally agreed-upon, but just agreed-upon by the majority of consumers), do you think that'd attract people who might otherwise have bought a different open-world game on a different platform? Do you think that the might create a market for more open-world games on a Nintendo platform? (Kind of like how Zelda opened the door for Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and other RPGs on NES.)

I think this is the vector that Nintendo really needs to nail to be competitive with Sony and Microsoft.

I really don't want Nintendo competing on AAA turf: I want Nintendo to be Nintendo and not be like a "better" PS4. I don't even own a PS4 for a reason and the number of "big games" I get on PC is limited.

This is to say, Nintendo rejoining mainstream core gaming would be a terrible thing in my opinion. I want said core to rejoin Nintendo to some extent. Not happening, but thinking of myself as a gamer...I really don't want it to happen the other way around.

If it happens at all, I expect it'll be a mix of the two directions. I just hope it happens in a way which improves the Nintendo experience rather than warping it into something that it is not.

Malakai

I think you're wrong. People still buy a shit ton of DVDs and blurays, and 4k uhd support would be a differentiator for the tech enthusiasts out there, like myself.

Bluray and DVD sales were $6+ billion in the US alone last year, and there are more than 5 million 4k TV sets in the US, and hardly any of them have a 4k player yet, as the only player on the market from Samsung just became available.

I have heard people ask about the wii u in stores on several occasions if it can play blurays, and when the answer is no, they don't buy it.

I highly doubt that Nintendo will have UHD blu ray. The BOM of a UHD blu ray drive must be in hundreds of dollars. Furthermore, due to nature of the HDMI spec a lot of 4K TVs will not be make use of all of the features of the UHD blu rays.

The_Lump

Banned
Were you around for the Wii-U speculation threads? Because the parallels are unbelievable.

They are indeed, and I'm a lot more reserved having gone through the WUST days!

But there is one major difference between then and now: WiiU has launched and failed. That happened.

Nintendo mis-stepped with WiiU, but that's easy to do when you're coming off the back of enormous commercial success (Wii). Just ask Sony (PS3 dusky bomb, but it taught them a lesson about getting cocky).

It's a whole different proposition coming off of a sales disaster like WiiU. Anything could happen.

It's not magical thinking to believe that this will solve some of Nintendo's problems. The Wii U was a big swing and a miss from Nintendo because the concept was already outdated the moment it released and porting games over to it was not only complicated, but the hardware was anemic on top of it.

NX is already rumored to be a much more developer friendly system than Wii U, and now we've heard from numerous sources that it's powerful enough to get ports from major publishers. If Nintendo's differentiating features on NX are forward thinking enough that people immediately find them novel and useful, it would be a complete 180 degree turn from the Wii U's major failures.

No, the Wii U's hardware issues, while well known and by no means trivial, were only ever secondary. The primary problem is that their first-party IP, in the eyes of most gamers, is no longer sufficient to justify a hardware purchase.

Most Nintendo fans would understandably prefer not to believe that, but I'm fairly confident that NX will prove it true.

MK_768

I think people are ignoring the install bases of the PS4/XB1. We're talking about, what, 50M people? Who is to say they aren't a target for Nintendo? Remember back in the PS360Wii era a lot of PS3/360 people had a Wii as their second. PS4/Xb1 owners may be willing to fork over that 300-400 for an NX. Especially those who don't want to buy a new iteration of the system they have.

Obviously Nintendo needs the NX to be a competent system and not a clusterfuck like the Wii U for that to happen.

Onemic

Sakurai's favorite JoJo
the best jojo

Wouldn't it be more like 3 years?

3 years if it comes out in 2016, which I'm assuming it wont. Even if its 3, the point still stands.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was less powerful than the ps4. Did you forget this is Nintendo we're talking about? They will always prioritize doing something "unique" over high spec hardware.

At this point, I dont think the PS4 can be considered high-spec anymore. 3 years is a long time in tech. I dont expect it to be leaps and bounds over the PS4, just a slight edge in hardware. like the WiiU to the PS3.

MrBigBoy

Augmented reality will be the NX gimmick. Holograms projecting from TV's, sensors, and mini cameras around the room. Like hololens, but more efficient. Nintendo outdoing Microsoft from right under their noses.
Can't see holograms happening without some glasses to put on tho. #nofunallowed :p

E-Cat

Again, I can't imagine they're using 28nm parts in this. Polaris 11 is ready to go in laptops for the back to school season, why wouldn't they have them ready down the road for this holiday?
As I understand it, it takes a fairly mature process to manufacture millions of consoles reliably and cost-effectively. 14nm FinFET this year is anything but.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yup. The power of friends is real the last couple gens. I mean I got a 360 solely because all of my friends had it and were playing Cod 4. I wanted in on the fun. Now I will say that I'm very happy with my 360 lol. Played it as much as the Wii.

PS4 tho...meh. My purchase hasn't been worth it yet. Black Ops 3 was good but I need more. The remasters mean nothing to me because I have a PS3.

Did your friends buy a PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom