• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

I highly doubt that Nintendo will have UHD blu ray. The BOM of a UHD blu ray drive must be in hundreds of dollars. Furthermore, due to nature of the HDMI spec a lot of 4K TVs will not be make use of all of the features of the UHD blu rays.

You can literally buy a 4k capable lg blu ray burner for $40-$50 at retail, so BOM is probably well under $20.

I really don't want Nintendo competing on AAA turf: I want Nintendo to be Nintendo and not be like a "better" PS4. I don't even own a PS4 for a reason and the number of "big games" I get on PC is limited.

This is to say, Nintendo rejoining mainstream core gaming would be a terrible thing in my opinion. I want said core to rejoin Nintendo to some extent. Not happening, but thinking of myself as a gamer...I really don't want it to happen the other way around.

If it happens at all, I expect it'll be a mix of the two directions. I just hope it happens in a way which improves the Nintendo experience rather than warping it into something that it is not.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by "better."

Zelda on NES was a "better" RPG than the computer RPGs that it drew inspiration from. Even the computer gaming mags from the time acknowledged that Zelda was a force among CRPGs.

But Zelda on NES was also very much Nintendo's own kinda thing. It wasn't them selling out and warping their Nintendo-like experiences into something they aren't. It was them giving birth to Nintendo-like experiences that succeeded in the marketplace because the Nintendo-like experience was the superior experience.

Really don't understand this. You purchased a Wii-U with the idea this thing was going to be amazing and Nintendo would support it with updates and games for years and years, not that it would fail miserably 3 years out of the gate and be canned at the end of 2016.

Consumers should feel let down if all that hype the company builds up amounts to nothing. Thankfully most of the games shops will gladly do trade-ins on lacklustre/abandoned hardware.

"I feel let down" =/= "you the company owe me compensation for letting me down."

Raide

I'm 100% on this. Products fail all the time. Nobody forced you to buy anything. I don't ever expect Sony or Nintendo to repay me for purchasing their systems and games. I did it on my own will and if their products failed then oh well it happens.

Really don't understand this. You purchased a Wii-U with the idea this thing was going to be amazing and Nintendo would support it with updates and games for years and years, not that it would fail miserably 3 years out of the gate and be canned at the end of 2016.

Consumers should feel let down if all that hype the company builds up amounts to nothing. Thankfully most of the games shops will gladly do trade-ins on lacklustre/abandoned hardware.

Maybe that's part of their problem, not supporting the predominant form of physical media on the market?

Ehh...streaming/digital downloading is so commonplace now, I don't think blu-ray playback is much of a selling feature at this point, more of a 'oh, that's nice to have but not a dealbreaker'. The average household has multiple ways to play their physical media.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Augmented reality will be the NX gimmick. Holograms projecting from TV's, sensors, and mini cameras around the room. Like hololens, but more efficient. Nintendo outdoing Microsoft from right under their noses.

How are people going to mount minicameras around the room?

The God

I think people are ignoring the install bases of the PS4/XB1. We're talking about, what, 50M people? Who is to say they aren't a target for Nintendo? Remember back in the PS360Wii era a lot of PS3/360 people had a Wii as their second. PS4/Xb1 owners may be willing to fork over that 300-400 for an NX. Especially those who don't want to buy a new iteration of the system they have.

Obviously Nintendo needs the NX to be a competent system and not a clusterfuck like the Wii U for that to happen.

The Wii was pretty cheap compared to the 360 & PS3 back then wasn't it? Idk about that many people spending $400 just to play Nintendo's first party.

ZOONAMI

should I make a thread?

No. I don't really think 10k should have made this thread given in the previous thread he was speculating on the "verified" reddit poster who sent PMs to someone on neogaf, and that reddit poster was throwing off huge red flags. Also the mod comments about this thread at the end of that thread and at the beginning of this thread about all of this be unverified to begin with.

Edit: I don't think the op of this thread should have made this thread based on 10k's speculation.

Banned
Can't see holograms happening without some glasses to put on tho. #nofunallowed :p
Damn you ruining my fun.
should I make a thread?
Yes. It's verified info. Kimishima' daughter is my side chick. NX is our pillow talk.

How are people going to mount minicameras around the room?
Duct tape from the retired gamecubes.

Guys, everything I know is in the OP. I don't have any more info to share. If I did, next time I will ask a mod first before saying anything and then just post it. Don't take every post I say as leaked information. That was a one time thing. I'm just one of you folks, a fan who is posting fun discussion and speculation.

Raide

"I feel let down" =/= "you the company owe me compensation for letting me down."

Someone is guaranteed to try and sue Nintendo for spoiling their hopes and dreams .:D I actually don't care that much either way but it is interesting to see how people's view of money differs.

I will be keeping a close eye on the NX, just to see if Nintendo heads in the right direction this time before jumping in.

geordiemp

To use Zelda as an example of how Nintendo can break this stigma: if Nintendo manages to make Zelda the best open-world game out there (this doesn't have to be universally agreed-upon, but just agreed-upon by the majority of consumers), do you think that'd attract people who might otherwise have bought a different open-world game on a different platform?.

Take for example COD, every year many reviewers give it an 7 or 8, same with FIFA, and Zelda might score a 10 with that reviewer...but the fact is allot of those players dont give a damn what the reviewer thinks is good or not....they know what they like.

Zelda will be the best game for those that like that type of gameplay, graphics and world...but for many others they want to play GTA5 online with their mates, shoot things with big guns and chop up baddies with big axes, steal planes and quickscope baddies.

What I am trying to say is that there is no best open world game.

I guess the Wii U ports is there to fill the eventual software droughts but I wonder if these are outsourced and Nintendo doesn't have significant resources dedicated to them. If their marquee launch title is Zelda which is on the Wii U and ports of titles that came out less than two years ago that will be fine early on. Most people who will buy an NX at launch have already made up their minds before even knowing what it is. Third party software will be crucial and hopefully this is not a Nintendo only box with Wii U ports early on because that will appeal to an already shrinking audience.

Take for example COD, every year many reviewers give it an 7 or 8, same with FIFA, and Zelda might score a 10 with that reviewer...but the fact is allot of those players dont give a damn what the reviewer thinks is good or not....they know what they like.

Zelda will be the best game for those that like that type of gameplay, graphics and world...but for many others they want to play GTA5 online with their mates, shoot things with big guns and chop up baddies with big axes.

What I am trying to say is no best open world game.

When I say "best," I mean "the one that the most people enjoy" or perhaps more accurately "the one that is most appealing."

I'm not talking "best" in a subjective, critical sense like you'll see in reviews. There is no real way to measure quality by those metrics.

But as for the games that the most people enjoy or that are the most appealing? Both of those metrics are objectively observable through sales.

Well Nintendo has to go after that market. Who else is there? Casuals aren't coming back. People need to give up on the idea that Nintendo is going to have some magical gimmick that will get them back. They are more than happy with mobile, and they aren't going to convert to core gamers like Nintendo thought they could be.

Their main goal should be to get the people who still haven't upgraded from last gen to get an NX. Having the best graphics can be a selling point. It is not everything but it is part of the equation.

Unless Nintendo has spent the last few years investing huge sums of money in exclusive content (first-party and moneyhatted third-party) aimed directly at the PS4/XB1 audience, they have no chance of making any real inroads in that market. There's no indication that they've been doing anything of the sort.

Bottom line: the only market available to Nintendo, on both console and handheld, is whatever's left in between the PS4/XB1 and mobile ends of the market.

MK_768

The Wii was pretty cheap compared to the 360 & PS3 back then wasn't it? Idk about that many people spending $400 just to play Nintendo's first party.

Sure, but I was just comparing the desire to buy the NX over these new iterations. Personally I think a $400 NX will hurt Nintendo. I can see them doing $350, but I would hope they suck it up and send it out at $300.

I just think Nintendo could ALSO target the current install base of PS4/XB1.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the Wii U ports is there to fill the eventual software droughts but I wonder if these are outsourced and Nintendo doesn't have significant resources dedicated to them. If their marquee launch title is Zelda which is on the Wii U and ports of titles that came out less than two years ago that will be fine early on. Most people who will buy an NX at launch have already made up their minds before even knowing what it is. Third party software will be crucial and hopefully this is not a Nintendo only box with Wii U ports early on because that will appeal to an already shrinking audience.

It also makes it easier for Wii U owners still playing Smash et al to upgrade since they can sell off their consoles to help fund an NX, free up room in the entertainment system etc.

vcc

I really don't want Nintendo competing on AAA turf: I want Nintendo to be Nintendo and not be like a "better" PS4. I don't even own a PS4 for a reason and the number of "big games" I get on PC is limited.

This is to say, Nintendo rejoining mainstream core gaming would be a terrible thing in my opinion. I want said core to rejoin Nintendo to some extent. Not happening, but thinking of myself as a gamer...I really don't want it to happen the other way around.

If it happens at all, I expect it'll be a mix of the two directions. I just hope it happens in a way which improves the Nintendo experience rather than warping it into something that it is not.

Nintendo always had a solid sense of craftsmanship. I don't think that'd go away if they attempted to learn from the competition. To an extent Nintendo does compete on the AAA turf, their major releases like Zelda or major Mario game are AAA, budget and scope-wise. They're measured against other AAA games.

Nintendo needs some strong software launch, Zelda, Mario and another popular franchise, plus some third party exclusives for people that already have a ps 4/xone. Something Bayonetta 3/Resident Evil 7 tier

KageZero

Augmented reality will be the NX gimmick. Holograms projecting from TV's, sensors, and mini cameras around the room. Like hololens, but more efficient. Nintendo outdoing Microsoft from right under their noses.

Wat? I doubt they can accomplish this for such a low price, would be nice but still i somehow doubt it (maybe i'm wrong and technology is already cheap enough for this)

Schnozberry

No, the Wii U's hardware issues, while well known and by no means trivial, were only ever secondary. The primary problem is that their first-party IP, in the eyes of most gamers, is no longer sufficient to justify a hardware purchase.

Most Nintendo fans would understandably prefer not to believe that, but I'm fairly confident that NX will prove it true.

Their software by itself might not be enough for most gamers, that's true, but they still have the best first party output of any of the hardware companies. Garnering a larger, more varied library that caters to a wide audience by rebuilding relationships with publishers and releasing competent hardware will go a long way. I agree with you that they will struggle if they try to forge ahead with a library that mostly consists of just Nintendo IP.

MK_768

Nintendo needs some strong software launch, Zelda, Mario and another popular franchise, plus some third party exclusives for people that already have a ps 4/xone. Something Bayonetta 3/Resident Evil 7 tier

This and they need to take the Sony rout and announce games that won't come out for 2-3 years. Yes, like Zelda cause lets face it, that works. Sony's E3 conference last year is proof.

Not sure where you're getting $400 and the point is that if they could play Nintendo's first party along with all the same 3rd party games as the others, it would be compelling enough for some people. If the NX is really able to get 3rd party games then it comes down to

Sony 1st party vs MS 1st party vs Nintendo 1st party

And I think Nintendo fairs a lot better than most people would assume

geordiemp

When I say "best," I mean "the one that the most people enjoy" or perhaps more accurately "the one that is most appealing."

My guess is the most appealing RPG will have elements of GT5 online, playing with a group of 2-4 mates (or take inspiration from Destiny / Division)

Not too sure what options new Mass effect will provide, but thats how i see it. Not too sure what that will be until GTA 6, maybe new RDR will have big online component.

Whats very popular and appealing is very different from what Many reviewers with their 'retro' type praise imo. Yes games like fallout do well, but its quite funny how the big online new breed of games do surprising higher numbers.

This and they need to take the Son rout and announce games that won't come out for 2-3 years. Yes, like Zelda cause lets face it, that works. Sony's E3 conference last year is proof.

What kind of games are you expecting at launch? You think they'll have a 3D Mario with Zelda U/NX?

tr1p1ex

NX gimmick brainstorm:

pico-projector - play your console games on any wall. no tv needed.

VR - mobile-style ...use your phone/2nd screen in dummy goggles that talk to NX.

AR - combination of projector/goggles to make games that play in your enviroment.

Toys2Life x 10 - Taking T2L to the next level. Maybe in conjunction with AR.

handheld = console - 1 device to rule them all

smartphone as the controller - instantly gives everyone enough controllers for multiplayer of any size. tons of new 2nd screen stuff Nintendo can do if everyone has their own screen. would also have sticks/buttons/dpad in the form of a regular controller or controller shell for the smartphone. Possible you could also play Nintendo games on your controller when not at the console.

Malakai

Well Nintendo has to go after that market. Who else is there? Casuals aren't coming back. People need to give up on the idea that Nintendo is going to have some magical gimmick that will get them back. They are more than happy with mobile, and they aren't going to convert to core gamers like Nintendo thought they could be.

Their main goal should be to get the people who still haven't upgraded from last gen to get an NX. Having the best graphics can be a selling point. It is not everything but it is part of the equation.

I'm going to say that the "casuals" left due to developers and publishers giving them a crappy experience vs the "casuals" went to mobile.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It would be cool if it could map your front room and then you could control an augmented Mario as it bounces from one settee to another etc...

My guess is the most appealing RPG will have elements of GT5 online, playing with a group of 2-4 mates (or take inspiration from Destiny / Division)

Maybe this is true, maybe it isn't.

Either way, Nintendo's already said that they're looking at a not-purely-solo experience for the new Zelda game. It was one of the first things we learned about the game back in 2013.

Nintendo needs to learn to ignore and not appease this crowd cause they have been all talk since n64 and even when nintendo do something right like RE4 or bayonetta doesn't show up.

These are bad examples.

The better examples are Assassin's Creed III and Call of Duty at Wii U launch, and almost no one jumping to Wii U for those titles + Nintendo's lineup even though they were perfectly willing to jump to PS4 and Xbox One without Nintendo's lineup the next year.

z3phon

oh yay its more powerful than 3 year old hardware. So will it be less powerful then current hardware by the time it's released? (PS4.5 and Xbox 1.5?)

LCGeek

formerly sane
No, the Wii U's hardware issues, while well known and by no means trivial, were only ever secondary. The primary problem is that their first-party IP, in the eyes of most gamers, is no longer sufficient to justify a hardware purchase.

Most Nintendo fans would understandably prefer not to believe that, but I'm fairly confident that NX will prove it true.

Cause it's meaningless.

Nintendo can accept relevancy and keep themselves afloat whatever ways they do or they can adapt.

I think most people with your opinion don't want to accept this reality. Deal with it nintendo is not going anywhere nor do they care to cater to hardcore types who want to play their games but not purchase the hardware. That point is even more meaningless with cube or wii being what they were but the hardcore refusing to buy plenty of titles that were up their alley as sales showed. Nintendo needs to learn to ignore and not appease this crowd cause they have been all talk since n64 and even when nintendo do something right like RE4 or bayonetta doesn't show up.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm going to say that the "casuals" left due to developers and publishers giving them a crappy experience vs the "casuals" went to mobile.

Crap experience's you what? The same casuals that are playing shitty f2p games. Nah that's definately not it.

The God

Not sure where you're getting $400 and the point is that if they could play Nintendo's first party along with all the same 3rd party games as the others, it would be compelling enough for some people. If the NX is really able to get 3rd party games then it comes down to

Sony 1st party vs MS 1st party vs Nintendo 1st party

And I think Nintendo fairs a lot better than most people would assume

I got $400 from the person I quoted.

I thought the consensus was that Nintendo would probably never have proper 3rd party support again.

Malakai

He probably means 1080P blu rays upscaling to 4K. Those players are cheap, native 4K players cost way more.

That's what I'm going to assume. I just tried searching around for Ultra HD blu ray drive and I didn't find any. And the one player I did find cost $399 at Best Buy in the United States.

ZOONAMI

Show me, please. Samsung was the first to release a 4K blu ray player this year for 400-500 bucks. I'll happily buy one for 50 bucks.

I'm talking about a bare PC drive, which is what the NX will theoretically have inside it.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=274111

http://www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Internal-Blu-ray-Rewriter/dp/B00E7B08MS?ie=UTF8&qid=1456077855&sr=8-3&keywords=lg+burner&tag=blurayforum-20

Currently $61.75, but has been cheaper. Waiting for cyberlink to update their software with uhd support.

Meesh

Maybe this is true, maybe it isn't.

Either way, Nintendo's already said that they're looking at a not-purely-solo experience for the new Zelda game. It was one of the first things we learned about the game back in 2013.
Nice, somehow I missed that or forgot...almost plays into the female Link rumour if both can be played either simultaneous or in turn?

Unless Nintendo has spent the last few years investing huge sums of money in exclusive content (first-party and moneyhatted third-party) aimed directly at the PS4/XB1 audience, they have no chance of making any real inroads in that market. There's no indication that they've been doing anything of the sort.

Bottom line: the only market available to Nintendo, on both console and handheld, is whatever's left in between the PS4/XB1 and mobile ends of the market.

Yup. People seem to think they're going to eat into Sony and Microsoft's lunch just by having Mario and Smash Bros. on half decent hardware. I just can't see it going down like that at all.

Cause it's meaningless.

Nintendo can accept relevancy and keep themselves afloat whatever ways they do or they can adapt.

I think most people with your opinion don't want to accept this reality. Deal with it nintendo is not going anywhere nor do they care to cater to hardcore types who want to play their games but not purchase the hardware. That point is even more meaningless with cube or wii being what they were but the hardcore refusing to buy plenty of titles that were up their alley as sales showed. Nintendo needs to learn to ignore and not appease this crowd cause they have been all talk since n64 and even when nintendo do something right like RE4 or bayonetta doesn't show up.

No one wants Nintendo to go anywhere. But the reality is that their IP don't have anywhere near the system selling appeal that some of their fans like to think. If they did, Wii U would have sold a lot better, regardless of the hardware. Remember Gamecube, N64? When Nintendo did have good hardware, half decent 3rd party support and arguably some of the greatest games they've ever made?

oh yay its more powerful than 3 year old hardware. So will it be less powerful then current hardware by the time it's released? (PS4.5 and Xbox 1.5?)
X1.5 was confirmed to be an upgraded X1? I thought it was just a slim version of X1? I'm just asking because I wasn't sure.

Nice, somehow I missed that or forgot...almost plays into the female Link rumour if both can be played either simultaneous or in turn?

I've always leaned toward character customization being likely in the new game so that interactions with other players are meaningful and make sense within the universe.

MK_768

What kind of games are you expecting at launch? You think they'll have a 3D Mario with Zelda U/NX?

Personally, I dont see 3D Mario coming at launch. I think we'll get a trailer for it at e3, but I believe it's a Holiday 2017 title. Akin to how the Wii released.

Now for launch I think we'll see Zelda, Smash 4 port, and Pikmin 4. However, I think Retro's project will slide into the launch window. Wouldn't doubt something like Luigi's Mansion 3 either. Also, Nintendo will probably have a Wii sports/Nintendo Land like game I guess.

I'm not expecting Nintendo to go guns blazing on day 1. Everything I said up top is within reason.

THE:MILKMAN

Again, I can't imagine they're using 28nm parts in this. Polaris 11 is ready to go in laptops for the back to school season, why wouldn't they have them ready down the road for this holiday?

I tend to agree with you. Polaris 11 seems a perfect fit and combined with a nice CPU/RAM combo that Nintendo are good at and I can see it outperforming PS4 at <100W.

I have no idea what TDP Nintendo is shooting for. I think the 370 is slightly more powerful than the PS4. I'm not sure what the power draw would be on a console APU because all the pc specific hardware on die is removed and Nintendo will likely be customizing it further based on their own requirements.

I don't think much of anything can be cut from the chip as such? At least the PS4 didn't seem to given its size? The HD7850/70 die was 212mm2 and PS4 APU is 328 mm2/348 mm2 with ~50 mm2 being for the 8 core Jaguar. Sony did tweak it with the GPGPU stuff though.

I would think NX would come in under 100W and the only way I can see that while being more powerful than PS4 is Polaris and 14nm.

ZOONAMI

Does the "4K capable" mean streaming or does the "4K capable" mean the ability to play and/or burn Ultra HD blu rays?

He probably means 1080P blu rays upscaling to 4K. Those players are cheap, native 4K players cost way more.

I'm talking about a bare PC drive, which is what the NX will theoretically have inside it.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=274111

http://www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Internal-Blu-ray-Rewriter/dp/B00E7B08MS?ie=UTF8&qid=1456077855&sr=8-3&keywords=lg+burner&tag=blurayforum-20

Currently $61.75, but has been cheaper. Waiting for cyberlink to update their software with uhd support.

See above.

vcc

Attach rates were low for the wii; I think it had a year and a half were casuals were super into it and then they moved on. It was a wii sports machine to them. The shovelware and lack of compelling titles turned core gamers off but the casuals were never heavily engaged and there was likely little they could do on the wii to retain them. They could have had a less awful console naming scheme to attract some of those casuals to the wii U but those casuals had mostly moved onto mobile and most of the data points to mobile being enough gaming for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom