• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Several Pokemon Games are coming for Gameboy and GBA NSO

Draugoth

Gold Member
Pokemon Presentation, they will be announcing that the following games will come to Gameboy and GBA NSO For Gameboy NSO

• Pokémon Gold and Silver
• Pokémon Pinball
• Pokémon Yellow
• Pokémon Blue
• Pokémon Trading Card Game 1/2
• Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR!
• Pokémon Crystal For GBA
• Pokémon Fire Red and Leaf Green
• Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
• Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
• Pokémon Emerald
• Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire Some games will come later then others 2/2

GametimeUK

It's disappointing that we can not buy these games to keep after our subscriptions lapse, and frustrating that when we play these games the image is absolutely destroyed by those disgusting borders and player icon. I despise how Nintendo had handled classic games on their system.

Even gamepass doesn't lock backwards compatibility behind a subscription system.

Last edited:

flying_sq

Gameboy and GBA games have to be the hardest sell for a subscription service, it takes like 10 minutes to get an emulator on a tablet, PC or phone, and another 10 to download all the roms for these.

Hopefully they have online capability, would be cool to be able to battle/trade with friends on those early games again (and maybe send to Pokemon Home?)

daclynk

Happy Monday Night Raw GIF by WWE

JohtoTimes

Neo Member
Apologies if reviving this old thread is a problem, I hope my contribution will be positive:

Obviously we didn't see the games arrive on NSO, but if they ever do I would like to ensure that our data would be preserved, and stored indefinitely, because if our subscriptions lapse, or the games are removed from the catalogue in the future, I would want to access that data again. I feel like that's very important for a game like Pokémon where you name your creatures, and invest time into levelling them up.

Secondly, like Pokémon Crystal on the 3DS, event data such as the Southern Island for Ruby & Sapphire, and the Aurora Ticket for FireRed & Leaf Green, should be restored.

Finally, all of these games should be compatible with Pokémon HOME, and any future online services and platforms. Let us never see another situation like we have with Pokémon Bank, and its inevitable closure

Comandr

Apologies if reviving this old thread is a problem, I hope my contribution will be positive:

Obviously we didn't see the games arrive on NSO, but if they ever do I would like to ensure that our data would be preserved, and stored indefinitely, because if our subscriptions lapse, or the games are removed from the catalogue in the future, I would want to access that data again. I feel like that's very important for a game like Pokémon where you name your creatures, and invest time into levelling them up.

Secondly, like Pokémon Crystal on the 3DS, event data such as the Southern Island for Ruby & Sapphire, and the Aurora Ticket for FireRed & Leaf Green, should be restored.

Finally, all of these games should be compatible with Pokémon HOME, and any future online services and platforms. Let us never see another situation like we have with Pokémon Bank, and its inevitable closure
Jesus, the necrobump.

Your hopes here feel very pie in the sky. Uh, sure it would be great if all of that were to happen… but I think the pokemon company has more than adequately demonstrated in the recent years that it isn’t even interested in bringing critical features or exhibiting proper care for even their CURRENT games; let alone 20-30 year old ones they aren’t going to see a drop of revenue from.

TPC- and by extension- Nintendo- doesn’t give a shit about spending additional resources to make old ports their best version; frankly, they don’t want you playing those games. They want you buying their new games and DLC.

Here is a great video detailing how quality and care has become less important in favor of monetization over the years.

Last edited:

JohtoTimes

Neo Member
Jesus, the necrobump.

Your hopes here feel very pie in the sky. Uh, sure it would be great if all of that were to happen… but I think the pokemon company has more than adequately demonstrated in the recent years that it isn’t even interested in bringing critical features or exhibiting proper care for even their CURRENT games; let alone 20-30 year old ones they aren’t going to see a drop of revenue from.

TPC- and by extension- Nintendo- doesn’t give a shit about spending additional resources to make old ports their best version; frankly, they don’t want you playing those games. They want you buying their new games and DLC.

Here is a great video detailing how quality and care has become less important in favor of monetization over the years.
The fact that Poké Transporter still functions, as does Pokémon Bank (for now) gives me hope that they care about compatibility. Restoring old event data in the Pokémon Crystal 3DS release also gives me hope that they'll continue that with future games. However, it should go without saying that these are my personal hopes, and I personally remain optimistic about where the classic games could be on NSO or a future service.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
How about giving me the option of buying them individually? I don't want to sign up to NSO.

Comandr

The fact that Poké Transporter still functions, as does Pokémon Bank (for now) gives me hope that they care about compatibility. Restoring old event data in the Pokémon Crystal 3DS release also gives me hope that they'll continue that with future games. However, it should go without saying that these are my personal hopes, and I personally remain optimistic about where the classic games could be on NSO or a future service.
They key difference in your example being Crystal for 3DS was a bespoke Virtual Console product that you purchased. TPC had a vested interest in providing a better product because.. they had to sell it. It is my understanding that currently, NSO's games work essentially like Netflix's movies. Any future release they offer in NSO is just added value; but not a product that can necessarily be sold in itself. You subscribe to the given service, and they are all there and available. All data therein, is subject to that subscription. NSO's games, and saves, are all stored in the app itself, which is behind a subscription service. If you stop subscribing, Nintendo gives you 6 months to resubscribe or they wipe your data, including any save data within the NSO games.

It's my understanding that because of this container, games like Stadium are unable to interact with other bespoke products like Home. There is no precedent of any NSO game working with an outside service - in fact the opposite is true where any multiplayer games require all players to be in a very specific scenario for the multiplayer to function.

I'm glad you have these hopes. I encourage you to have them and shout them, loudly, to the correct people. But here? I'm just going to tell you how it is. Maybe I'll be wrong though. Here's hoping. :)

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
How much money could Nintendo make if they repackaged these games and officially launched them on iOS/Play store? I am guessing a lot.

Money Thank You GIF by Ingrid Arna

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I would love this, and in physical form too!

This as well.

Give people options. Nintendo shouldn't be locking games behind NSO!

If Nintendo released their classics digitally then I'd probably spend a three figure sum buying classic games.

Surly they're leaving money on the table.

Top Bottom