• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wachowski's and James McTeigue might do the Superman reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Superman Rumblings Begin Now!
A couple of interesting tidbits coming from the Superman camp that I feel I must share with our readers.

Currently, Superman is a hot property over at Warner Bros. Studios, this is known. But how do you move from Bryan Singer's recent attempt at rebooting the character in Superman Returns into something more action packed? Word out of WB is that Singer's film willl simply be seen as a "book-end" to the Richard Donner legacy, to complete the saga. The next films will be a completely new take on the character and the story.

And as everyone knows by now, Bryan Singer is no longer involved in the Superman franchise. Hence, the billion dollar question is...who is?

For the better part of the last month, I've been hearing a few names pop up in regards to who just might be involved in the reboot of the Superman franchise.

And from the recent lawsuit we all know that the new Superman film must be in production by 2011 and IESB has learned that it has indeed been put on the proverbial "fast track". So what names are we hearing?

This past weekend at San Diego Comic Con, I ran into plenty of DC and WB folks who turned pale when I started asking about the man in blue.

There is one thing we know for sure, there is currently a very short list of potential directors to bring Supes back to the big screen.

First are the Wachowski Brothers, yep, Andy and Larry. The other name I am hearing is James McTeigue.

Here's where things get fuzzy, because I am also hearing the Wachowski's may come in to produce with James McTeigue as the actual director.

Part of me wonders why WB would allow the Wachowski's anywhere near Superman after the amount of money they cost the studio after the disaster that was Speed Racer. But, then again, they did make WB plenty of dough on the Matrix trilogy plus Jeff Robinov loves these guys.

To me, it makes more sense to have Andy and Larry Wachowski serve as producers with James McTeigue to direct after the awesomeness that is his film Ninja Assassin because the one absolute mandate WB and DC have for the new Superman film is for it to be action packed, something Superman Returns was sorely lacking. And there is no doubt that the Wachowski's and McTeigue can be relied on for action.

One thing is for sure, Superman is moving faster than a speeding bullet and we can expect some major announcments coming from the Burbank studio in the very near future.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.Please be true.

Also. I don't want to see or hear about Lex Luthor. Or else I will never,ever watch.

Unless Lex gets a super suit and beats the crap out of superman Matrix Revolutions style....and is NOT an old man.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have no clue what to think about this. The Wachowskis? Really?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the Wachowskis can pull it off.

And you can't blame them for Speed Racer's returns; it's fucking Speed Racer. Blame WB for greenlighting it to begin with.

:lol Wait, didnt we already have a reboot...lol

They seriously going to call this a reboot to the reboot? Despite the last film it is still considered such, they cant go back.

Lebron

Whatever they do, they better not do the damn origin story. I'm sorry, it's been done enough, everyone knows it by now.

Also, no more Lex as main villain.

TheOddOne

Revelations said:

They seriously going to call this a reboot to the reboot?

I laughed too. Singer's film willl simply be seen as a "book-end" to the Richard Donner legacy :rollseyes:

Veidt

Revelations said:

They seriously going to call this a reboot to the reboot?

I don't see it as a reboot to a reboot personally. Because the first one didn't happen as far as I'm concerned.

TheOddOne said:
I laughed too. Singer's film willl simply be seen as a "book-end" to the Richard Donner legacy :rollseyes:

Isnt that actually a fucking insult? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I liked The Matrix and all but the Wachowskis can get a little carried away. Good thing they are only producing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They must do the origin story, the Wachowskis can do that, anything else = fail.

Well they already made a film about a flying all powerful deity so it won't be too much of a departure. Could be interesting although I'm still convinced James McTeigue is a moniker for the two.

DMczaf

It sucks that Singer was such a fanboy for Donner's Superman. I wish he pulled a Nolan and just made his own universe.

Ether_Snake said:

And you can't blame them for Speed Racer's returns; it's fucking Speed Racer. Blame WB for greenlighting it to begin with.

Pretty much on point.

Lebron

Poor Brandon Routh, I actually thought he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with.

Ether_Snake said:
They must do the origin story, the Wachowskis can do that, anything else = fail
Na uh

jsnepo

Why? I'd love for WB to continue what Singer started. Just change the location. Metropolis in the last movie looked boring.

Veidt

Lebron said:
Poor Brandon Routh, I actually thought he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with.
I agree with that. He was a fairly good Clark Kent.

Ether_Snake said:

what are you talking about? Speed Racer was AWESOME.

FUCK THE HATERS.

DMczaf

Lebron said:

I wish he would get another chance, I like him as Superman and Clark. Come on WB, at least let him play Superman in a movie where Superman doesn't get his ass kicked by Kal Penn! :lol

Veidt

StormyTheRabbit said:

FUCK THE HATERS.

Speed Racer was indeed amazing. It's the most gorgeous Blu-ray I have ever seen.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ether_Snake said:
They must do the origin story, the Wachowskis can do that, anything else = fail.
Man, fuck an origin story. Everyone knows where the fuck Superman came from. It's time for him to start kicking ass.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
StormyTheRabbit said:

FUCK THE HATERS.

Yes it was awesome, but it did tank at the box office, and cost a fortune. I think Ether_Snake nails that part of it. I'm just glad there was someone insane enough within WB to greenlight it.

TheOddOne

Revelations said:
Isnt that actually a fucking insult? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I liked The Matrix and all but the Wachowskis can get a little carried away. Good thing they are only producing.

Yep. ''Well your version sucked, cost too much and failed our expectations at the boxoffice.''

I'm not paying money for another origin story or another Lex Luthor kryptonite plot.

Give me a fucking supervillain or don't even bother.

JdFoX187

Banned
To me, they're still a one-hit wonder with The Matrix. Nothing they've touched since has been very interesting to me. I didn't even know they had anything to do with V for Vendetta until I saw it again on DVD. Speed Racer was eh. I don't know, I just don't like the idea of them handling Superman. I still say WB should have gone with Mark Millar's trilogy idea.

I wonder if they'll start tying it into the expanded DC universe? Ease the concept so it looks less awkward if a Justice League movie comes along.

Dead

well not really...yet
This isn't the first time the Wachowski's name has been brandied about along with Superman

If this is indeed a newly sourced rumour, I'd think WB were seriously considering it.

gumshoe said:
Isn't one of them a woman now?

Yup

9huq7b.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
-COOLIO- said:
superman returns was good : [

i mean it was 76% fresh on rt. do they really need to reboot it?
It's kind of an outdated take on the Superman universe. Besides, I'm sure Warner saw the backlash for Kal's bastard child and want no part of continuing that.

rezuth

Revelations said:

They seriously going to call this a reboot to the reboot? Despite the last film it is still considered such, they cant go back.
The Hulk.

JdFoX187

Banned
chubigans said:
I thought it was good too. Bah.
It was a good sequel to the Richard Donner movies. But it cost a fortune to make. Why? I have no fucking idea. The special effects were impressive, but outside of the plane sequence and the end, there weren't really any major setpieces. The only thing I could think of was the salaries for the production crew and cast. Oh yeah, Kate Bosworth is no Margot Kidd. Got Bosworth was horrible as Lois Lane.

Snaku

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
superman returns was good : [

i mean it was 76% fresh on rt. do they really need to reboot it?

I'm a big fan of Donner's films, and I liked Returns a lot too.

Dead

well not really...yet
JdFoX187 said:
It was a good sequel to the Richard Donner movies. But it cost a fortune to make. Why? I have no fucking idea. The special effects were impressive, but outside of the plane sequence and the end, there weren't really any major setpieces. The only thing I could think of was the salaries for the production crew and cast. Oh yeah, Kate Bosworth is no Margot Kidd. Got Bosworth was horrible as Lois Lane.
I think that had to do with all the false starts before Singer actually got the movie made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom