• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wachowski's and James McTeigue might do the Superman reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamfam

Firstly; they need an actual man to play superman...none of this Superboy stuff that Superman Returns was on the verge on. Something like this:

Superman20Alex20Ross207.jpg

Secondly, it's time Superman had a proper villain to face - but still one he has to beat with brains rather than just fighting. Braniac would be a good contender for this.

Thirdly, don't try to modernize him and his costume too much - giving him a black suit or adding metal / contemporary design to him. If anything, make him and Metropolis even more retro - maybe even set it in 60's Russia, in an alternative reality where Superman is a communist. (which one of the comics was based around)

Speed Racer is so awesome that the Wachowskis have my full faith in everything they do for at least the next few movies.

Also, Larry Wachowski is still a dude; the rumor of his sex change was just that, a rumor. Joel Silver said that that was bullshit back in 2007 when it first reared its head.

Ardorx

Banned
We are going to get to a point where every film is a reboot. Transformers 3? Spider-Man 5? Nah, reboot that shit!

I've read people wanting to see Doomsday, or Braniac or other villains be the focus of future movies and I just don't believe that to be a recipe for success. To me, there is something fundamentally wrong in delivering a character - who by all means is immortal - into situations where he would inevitably clean up, if it weren't for his own Achilles heel being a piece of green meteorite. Essentially, you will get a repetitiveness - a predictability - to the character whose own persona really isn't of anything to gain interest to the casual audience, especially in comparison to modern day success' persona's such as Bruce Wayne/Batman. At least with him you have sophistication in his anti-hero demeanour. Whereas with Clark, we have a lovable goof whose a loved sick puppy over a woman who barely is interested in anything but his own, lovable do-gooder perfect alter ego - whose main weapon, is, well, you cant hurt him. I just don't see the basis of a story here. How do you make a franchise about Superman without making it predictable? Is that even possible?

I think the fanbase are selfish to just want their fantasises of actually seeing a fight on screen between him and another come true, whilst ignoring the simple truth that Superman's appeal has been forgotten as a child hero of the past, whilst more interesting characters are dreamt of by children now. I'm quite young myself, and believe me - the interest or intrigue levels for Superman in comparison to other greats like Wolverine, Batman, or even Spiderman (where they can relate with the character more so than any other), is just beyond sense. Donner introduced him to cinema as "you will believe a man can fly". I think our expectation levels in such a competitive and often fatigued genre, has grown to just want more than seeing a man fly.

SimleuqiR

We need a 3 movie story arc involving these guys:

fv-darkseid.jpg

fv-doomsday.jpg

brainiac.gif

As much as Lex is iconic in the Superman universe he doesn't deserve more time on the big screen.

I liked Returns, but I loved the air-plain scene much more than the rest of the movie.

Meus Renaissance said:
I've read people wanting to see Doomsday, or Braniac or other villains be the focus of future movies and I just don't believe that to be a recipe for success. To me, there is something fundamentally wrong in delivering a character - who by all means is immortal - into situations where he would inevitably clean up, if it weren't for his own Achilles heel being a piece of green meteorite. Essentially, you will get a repetitiveness - a predictability - to the character whose own persona really isn't of anything to gain interest to the casual audience, especially in comparison to modern day success' persona's such as Bruce Wayne/Batman. At least with him you have sophistication in his anti-hero demeanour. Whereas with Clark, we have a lovable goof whose a loved sick puppy over a woman who barely is interested in anything but his own, lovable do-gooder perfect alter ego - whose main weapon, is, well, you cant hurt him. I just don't see the basis of a story here. How do you make a franchise about Superman without making it predictable? Is that even possible?

I think the fanbase are selfish to just want their fantasises of actually seeing a fight on screen between him and another come true, whilst ignoring the simple truth that Superman's appeal has been forgotten as a child hero of the past, whilst more interesting characters are dreamt of by children now. I'm quite young myself, and believe me - the interest or intrigue levels for Superman in comparison to other greats like Wolverine, Batman, or even Spiderman (where they can relate with the character more so than any other), is just beyond sense. Donner introduced him to cinema as "you will believe a man can fly". I think our expectation levels in such a competitive and often fatigued genre, has grown to just want more than seeing a man fly.

There is a stark difference between pre-Crisis (Donner's version) and post-Crisis (the one seen in animated series/movies/JLU) Superman. The modern Superman isn't the strongest character in the DC universe, can be beaten or rendered unconscious by sufficient force or exertion, is openly vulnerable to magic, and has been beaten/bloodied by a number of heroes and villains alike.

But, if you have a universe where Superman can travel through time, throw continents into space while under the influence of kryptonite, and there are no supervillains (aside from other Kryptonians) or magic, where is the conflict?

I think JLU proved you can have great Superman stories without even using the Kent character.

Lebron

Chamber said:
mmwoyc.jpg

Make it happen!
"I hope you appreciate, Kal-EL, that everything that happens from this point is on your head. The skies will rain fire, the oceans will boil, the streets will run red with the blood of billions. Only then, after your last pitiful hope is extinguished, will I end your life. Let's go!"

There is only one Lord of Apokolips, and he demands his movie screen time.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Lebron said:
"I hope you appreciate, Kal-EL, that everything that happens from this point is on your head. The skies will rain fire, the oceans will boil, the streets will run red with the blood of billions. Only then, after your last pitiful hope is extinguished, will I end your life. Let's go!"

There is only one Lord of Apokolips, and he demands his movie screen time.

Hotdamn that's an awesome quote. Also,Laurance Fishburne for Darkseid.

Anyone realised the religious connotations of the Superman character? What I was most surprised by is WB/Singer choosing to continue that in SR

Make it about the clusterfuck in Iraq, except on Apokolips.

Supes is ordered by the governments of Earth to bring freedom to Apokolips.

Oh, and have Paul Verhoeven direct.

Meus Renaissance said:

I'm not sure what you are arguing here. On one hand you lament that he has no equal but then you don't want the characters introduced from the comic lore that are his equal. Or perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your post...

Ripclawe

Banned
Good, far as I'm concerned Singer's stalking emo world citizen superman doesn't exist. A proper reboot will be good

Vyer

Meus Renaissance said:

Sorry man, I just think you are totally off base here:

1. The villains you named have nothing to do with Kryptonite, so that criticism doesn't work.
2. As pointed out already, the Superman you (and Donner) are referring to does not have to be and is not the current Superman.
3. Just because you are young and Superman isn't your favorite superhero doesn't suddenly mean it's impossible to make a movie about it.
4. The first two Superman movies were very successful, so yes 'it can be done'.
5. How in the world do you 'relate' to Wolverine? :D

Not really sure where you are coming from with most of this.

shuri

Banned
I like the call the last superman movie 'GAFFERMAN'. But more seriously; a new superman flick would require a bad guy that is actually interesting. Something like Doomsday would be interesting. I dont want no shitty lex luthor with some crazy financial plan again or something cheezy like that

I want some sort of monster coming from nowhere, destroying the city appart, and that can beat the crap out of superman.

oto

Neo Member
I don't have faith in the Wachowski brothers with this property. More likely they'll turn it into an Asian chopsocky perversion.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Batman is humanity's answer to superheroes. None of them is as capable as him.Thus, humanity is a super race.

I will be sick if I find out that Superman is fighting yet another villain that can only stand toe-to-toe with him with the crutch of Kryptonite.

Give Superman a real fucking threat or do not bother.

BowieZ

Banned
WickedAngel said:
I will be sick if I find out that Superman is fighting yet another villain that can only stand toe-to-toe with him with the crutch of Kryptonite.

Give Superman a real fucking threat or do not bother.
Superman's son.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
as long as it doesn't turn into Transformers 2, then I'll be fine. Many of you allude to big fight scenes, explosions, etc... and Transformers 2 had that and it was tremendously disappointing.

If they can deliver solid acting, dialogue, a great storyline and produce a realistic villain -- one that isn't over-the-top -- and superb casting, then I think they'll be in the area of where I'd like to see it go.

But if all they do is make it Speed Racer meets Transformers 2, then you can count me as one of the many who won't be showing up opening day.

eznark

Banned
Hamfam said:
Firstly; they need an actual man to play superman...none of this Superboy stuff that Superman Returns was on the verge on.:

Patrick Warburton as Superman. That is the only thing that could ever get me to watch a Wachowski brothers movie again.

ZeoVGM

Banned
jsnepo said:
Why? I'd love for WB to continue what Singer started. Just change the location. Metropolis in the last movie looked boring.

WTF It looked beautiful. One of the few great things about that movie.

KingDirk

All the people bitching about Lex, what'd you think about him in the Diniverse? I thought he was awesome there and he really sold being a threat.

Yeah, he has been in the movies too much, though, and Kevin Spacey didn't seem to be playing anything approaching Luthor in Returns.

To be honest, though, I think the only Superman movie I'd really get excited over would be set in the All-Star Superman universe. That's my mental image of the Man of Steel now.

Also, please no w/r/t to the Wachowskis. Please.

Beowulf28

Only way I'll be interested in this would be if they gave supes a worthy opponent and not a bunch of random goons with kryptonite. If the Wachoskis direct this all hey would have to do is remake the neo/smith fight in Matrix revolutions with superman and darkseid.

jett

D-Member
TBH after thinking about it for a while I'd rather have the Wachowskis work on something more interesting. :p

KingDirk said:
All the people bitching about Lex, what'd you think about him in the Diniverse? I thought he was awesome there and he really sold being a threat.

To be fair, Lex in the Diniverse:

- was an illegal weapons manufacturer/black market distributor when he was running his legitimate business. He helped fund/create Bizarro, Metallo, the prototype for Steel, Luminous, one of the early iterations of Brainiac (albeit forcibly), and countless other weapon systems to combat Superman or sell for profit.

- while a fugitive from the law, he coerced a number of super-villains to work for him, including the Joker (World's Finest), AMAZO, the Injustice Gang, and he eventually took control (after shooting/imprisoning Grodd) of the entire Secret Society of Supervillains

- As the primary financial backing for Project Cadmus, he's responsible for the creation of the Ultimen, Galatea/Power Girl, Doomsday, and the assembly of Task Force X.

- He instigated the fights between Superman/Captain Atom and Superman/Captain Marvel.

- Aside from having his Kryptonite powered super-suit built for him by the Ultra-Humanite, Lex also gained super powers as Brainiac's vessel and eventually became nigh-omnipotent as the merged Luthor/Brainiac/Darkheart. As a member of the Secret Society he amplified a number of the members' superpowers, while secretly implanting manual override control (on his belt) for all of them.

- He was also responsible for the resurrection of Darkside, and as of the end of the Diniverse, is in possession of the Anti-Life equation

He is portrayed as a threat only in as far as his ability to consistently manipulate others, or create monstrosities that inevitably grow out of his control.

He's a great villain in the Diniverse because Dini had the entire DC Universe's rogue's gallery at his disposal.

Lex was not the central villain in Superman 2, but he is almost directly responsible for Superman's defeat by Zod's crew in Metropolis, and Superman's victory in the Fortress of Solitude. If the universe was given more villains to work with, I'm sure they could still use Lex in a way that made sense and didn't bore the audience to tears with its predictability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom