• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krowley said:
The people on the IGN podcast said that devs are literaly telling them that the controller looks like somebody slapped an IPAD in the middle of a dreamcast controller. So some of the posted concepts are probably pretty close

Yeah, that sounds like a horrible abomination.

Zeal

Banned
Andrex said:
Ct5h2.png

BOOM THERE IT IS

Made four days ago.
Game industry crash confirmed.

Listened to that horrible IGN thingy.

Only good question out of it was the question of "How do you bring in those who *hate* Nintendo?"

The immediate thought that came to mind was - pull in Valve. Rope them in completely and make them an integral part.

1) Hand them a barrel of money to develop, administer, and maintain the online infrastructure. Advertise this. Put a little 'Powered by Steam' logo on several of the screens.
2) Everything Valve gets Wii2 ports - Something new for launch if possible, then a Portal pack, a L4D pack, and a Half Life pack in staggered release. Pepper in Team Fortress and anything else in too.

That's it. That's all it would take. If they're there, everyone else will follow.

Anth0ny

Andrex said:
Ct5h2.png

BOOM THERE IT IS

Made four days ago.

I actually wouldn't mind it that much. I can see myself playing 1000+ hours of Smash with that thing. I mean, I'll have to move on if the Gamecube controller port is gone =(

I've played with this beast:

gamecube-keyboard-controller.jpg

so I'm totally fine with a 6' screen in the middle of a GC controller lol

Duderz

Banned
I've been out all day - can someone please summarize what's new? Last I read was the Dave Perry fake quote and apparently Rockstar bringing the goods. (lolz to that)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, a 6" touch screen really isn't a big deal if it's vertical. I could see myself playing with my concept too, looks comfortable enough. Just have to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

antonz

Duderz said:
I've been out all day - can someone please summarize what's new? Last I read was the Dave Perry fake quote and apparently Rockstar bringing the goods. (lolz to that)
We know one of the head Engineers from the PS3 team that worked on CPU and GPU now works with Nintendo in the department that traditionally works on console tech

Retro is seemingly working on a franchise tons of people have been wanting them to be.

Those are really the primary things

mj1108

Krowley said:
The people on the IGN podcast said that devs are literaly telling them that the controller looks like somebody slapped an IPAD in the middle of a dreamcast controller. So some of the posted concepts are probably pretty close

There HAS to be something more to this. I seriously doubt Nintendo would just abandon motion controls for their next console....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
mj1108 said:
There HAS to be something more to this. I seriously doubt Nintendo would just abandon motion controls for their next console....

The OP says it still has higher fidelity than PS Move so who knows.

Maybe the "classic" controller this time around will be an optional Wiimote-type deal. Completely switch em around.

Zeal

Banned
What's the leading theory for retro's game? Hopefully a new star fox.

If they touch Zelda, neogaf will go down for 72 hours.

antonz

Zeal said:
What's the leading theory for retro's game? Hopefully a new star fox.

If they touch Zelda, neogaf will go down for 72 hours.
Personally I think Star Fox is the safe bet.

Zelda is too early unless its like 3 years away development wise.

Duderz

Banned
antonz said:
We know one of the head Engineers from the PS3 team that worked on CPU and GPU now works with Nintendo in the department that traditionally works on console tech

Retro is seemingly working on a franchise tons of people have been wanting them to be.

Those are really the primary things

Thanks!

I saw a post detailing an IGN podcast where they basically say they slapped an iPad onto the controller? Sheesh.

Ready for the 25th to get here already. Even more ready for E3.

The M.O.B

What would be the point of putting the screen vertically? The rumors are that it can play games on it right? So it would only make sense for it to be horizontally placed. Tetris is about the only game you could play on it vertically.

AniHawk

BMF said:
Listened to that horrible IGN thingy.

Only good question out of it was the question of "How do you bring in those who *hate* Nintendo?"

The immediate thought that came to mind was - pull in Valve. Rope them in completely and make them an integral part.

1) Hand them a barrel of money to develop, administer, and maintain the online infrastructure. Advertise this. Put a little 'Powered by Steam' logo on several of the screens.
2) Everything Valve gets Wii2 ports - Something new for launch if possible, then a Portal pack, a L4D pack, and a Half Life pack in staggered release. Pepper in Team Fortress and anything else in too.

That's it. That's all it would take. If they're there, everyone else will follow.
bellevue is only a 30 minute drive from redmond too.

i believe if they're dead serious about getting third parties, especially western support, they've definitely been talking to take two (for rockstar games), activision (for infinity ward and bungie franchises), electronic arts (for ea sports and bioware stuff), and ubisoft (for anything, probably something rayman or ancel-related).

Diffense

That concept looks like it could work actually.
Can you imagine scanning in metroid by pointing that thing at the TV screen and having the data show up on the controller display
I'm interested to see where they'll go with this.

watershed

Banned
Diffense said:
That concept looks like it could work actually.
Can you imagine scanning in metroid by pointing that thing at the TV screen and having the data show up on the controller display
I'm interested to see where they'll go with this.

This idea is great and has been mentioned a few times already
but if the controller really is a dreamcast controller with an ipad in the middle I don't think it will be very comfortable to move the thing around like we did the wiimote. It'd be too big, awkward and heavy.

On the other hand, I was just reading through some of the reactions on the wiimote reveal thread so we could all end up looking like fools in a few months.

antonz said:
Personally I think Star Fox is the safe bet.

Zelda is too early unless its like 3 years away development wise.

So Nintendo might let Retro do Star Fox Adventure 2? Give Retro another shot since Rare fucked first.

ant1532

Banned
LOL @ mockups. I completely doubt any possibility of the actual controller looking like anything I've seen so far. The wiimote+nunchuck is better than all of the mockups for crying out loud. THE WIIMOTE+NUNCHUCK.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
artwalknoon said:
This idea is great and has been mentioned a few times already
but if the controller really is a dreamcast controller with an ipad in the middle I don't think it will be very comfortable to move the thing around like we did the wiimote. It'd be too big, awkward and heavy.

On the other hand, I was just reading through some of the reactions on the wiimote reveal thread so we could all end up looking like fools in a few months.

I think it's more possible you scan using the R button or whatever on the TV screen, and the scanned data is sent to the controller for passive viewing.

ant1532 said:
LOL @ mockups. I completely doubt any possibility of the actual controller looking like anything I've seen so far. The wiimote+nunchuck is better than all of the mockups for crying out loud. THE WIIMOTE+NUNCHUCK.

It's just for fun. None of this is serious. I mean, look how far we were off when guessing the Wii's controller back in the day. Nobody was in the ballpark.

In Nintendo's entire history, they've only released one by-the-books controller. The GameCube controller. Everything else has had some sort of new functionality and inspirational design. And frankly, all those have been copied.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SlipperySlope said:
It's just for fun. None of this is serious. I mean, look how far we were off when guessing the Wii's controller back in the day. Nobody was in the ballpark.

Actually there were one or two I thought got pretty close. But each individual mockup gets lost in the sea of them.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think most reasonable is, that the controller is indeed a GCN controller with detachable Screen in the middle. When the screen is detached, it can double as a infrared sensor for the left and the right part of the remaining controller (which are effectively Wii-Remotes with more buttons / sticks). For traditional games one can put both parts that are left when the screen is detached together and get a GCN controller, effectively.

what if the wiimote just works on the new console?. The new controller will suit more hardcore and experimental games, the wiimote will make granny happy.

Krowley

The M.O.B said:
What would be the point of putting the screen vertically? The rumors are that it can play games on it right? So it would only make sense for it to be horizontally placed. Tetris is about the only game you could play on it vertically.

Yeah, it don't sound like it will be vertical. I'm thinking it sounds more like these three

2yk02g3.jpg

2zpqvjq.jpg

2wgve6u.jpg

Although obviously you'd subtract the goofy looking wiimote sticking out of the middle one.

ant1532

Banned
SlipperySlope said:

In Nintendo's entire history, they've only released one by-the-books controller. The GameCube controller. Everything else has had some sort of new functionality and inspirational design. And frankly, all those have been copied.
wait. the Z purple bean button is not INSPIRATIONAL?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Andrex said:
BOOM THERE IT IS

Made four days ago.

The shape reminds me of those exercise bikes that can play games.

Next Gen Wii Fit accessory confirmed, "The Wiicycle".

Am I the first to make that lame pun?

Haint

Krowley said:

It better do something magic, cause Sony would sure as shit match something like that with NGP connectivity to PS3/4 at basically no cost or effort.

apana

What Retro game have we all been waiting for if not Retro's take on Zelda? They are done with Metroid and just did Donkey Kong so that only leaves New Legend fo Zelda, I don't think Nintendo would let them touch the 3D one.

watershed

Banned
Reallink said:
It better do something magic, cause Sony would sure as shit match something like that with NGP connectivity to PS3/4 at basically no cost or effort.

This is actually a very good point, but Nintendo must know this as well. I would hope Nintendo's not releasing a new console with a fancy new controller just to do something their competitor is already going to offer.

The M.O.B said:

DS has no games.

AniHawk

so given the latest impressions, and some of the supposed details about the controller, i felt like weighing in.

these go off of several assumptions, but here goes:
-i don't think nintendo will plan on doing something where your hands are managing controls above the screen. at worst, it'll be in the middle of the controller, like their recent handhelds or the original gba.
-if the system is going to be an hd console, then it means games will be made for a 16:9 aspect ratio. and if you can stream games to your controller, i think the controller's screen would have to match what appears on the tv.
-six inches is probably the diagonal measure. if the aspect ratio was 16:9, then that would roughly translate to 5.2in (w) x 2.9in (h).
-the top of a dreamcast controller is actually just about 5.2 inches wide.

super half-assed mockup, but the idea was just to get it about as actual-size as i can get without photoshop: http://i56.tinypic.com/2vbkcp5.jpg (on top of controller) http://i56.tinypic.com/2m6tjs4.jpg (in middle of controller)

this is all dependent on the actual game streaming to the controller though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
artwalknoon said:
This is actually a very good point, but Nintendo must know this as well. I would hope Nintendo's not releasing a new console with a fancy new controller just to do something their competitor is already going to offer.

They both could have done it this gen with PSP/PS3 and DS/Wii, and GBA/GCN before that, but it wasn't attempted as much. The benefit of having a screen in every controller is that is is standardized and the dev's can rely on every player having it.

Something "we" have been wanting them to work on?

All I can think of is either LoZ (Sheik game finally comes out ... IN HD! :O ) or their own brand new IP.

I have never heard Retro and "Star Fox" outside of this thread and a few others actually so IDK where thats coming from.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
so given the latest impressions, and some of the supposed details about the controller, i felt like weighing in.

these go off of several assumptions, but here goes:
-i don't think nintendo will plan on doing something where your hands are managing controls above the screen. at worst, it'll be in the middle of the controller, like their recent handhelds or the original gba.
-if the system is going to be an hd console, then it means games will be made for a 16:9 aspect ratio. and if you can stream games to your controller, i think the controller's screen would have to match what appears on the tv.
-six inches is probably the diagonal measure. if the aspect ratio was 16:9, then that would roughly translate to 5.2in (w) x 2.9in (h).
-the top of a dreamcast controller is actually just about 5.2 inches wide.

super half-assed mockup, but the idea was just to get it about as actual-size as i can get without photoshop: http://i56.tinypic.com/2vbkcp5.jpg (on top of controller) http://i56.tinypic.com/2m6tjs4.jpg (in middle of controller)

this is all dependent on the actual game streaming to the controller though.

Yeah the streaming thing is where mine kind of gets messed up. I do like that second mockup, seems most likely to be exactly something like that.

NateDrake

Based on the podcast the IGN mockup from earlier sounds pretty likely how the controller will look. If it's like this then it isn't that bad.

how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415052913710.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom