• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
radioheadrule83 said:
LoZ = Drill EP
AoL = Pablo Honey
LttP = The Bends
LA = OK Computer
OoT / MM = Kid A / Amnesiac
WW = In Rainbows

The Bends and OK Computer are their only good albums. You'll have to pick a band that has consistently produced quality in order to make a fair comparison.

Lonewolf_92 said:
Maybe Nintendo should buy Grasshopper (The Silver Case, Michigan: Report from Hell, Killer 7, NMH series) and Platinum Games (MadWorld, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns) and let them put out whatever they can exclusively for their systems. Perhaps then Nintendo won't be seen as "kiddy" by some.

For a company so driven by profits, they couldn't pick two worse studios to buy.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The Bends and OK Computer are their only good albums. You'll have to pick a band that has consistently produced quality in order to make a fair comparison.

They're certainly their best albums. LTTP / LA >> OOT and everything that followed.

Blame I Push Fat Kids :p

I find the idea of an iPad slapped into the middle of an unwieldy Dreamcast controller a bit frightening to be honest. I much prefer the idea of the screen being a separate entity...

when is their investor relations / earnings conference again?

BowieZ said:
This is not the conversation I wish to see when I hit refresh...

Honestly, I'm not sure a few off topic posts is really going to do much to dilute this thread any further. There are only so many bad paint mockups people can make.

antonz

radioheadrule83 said:

I find the idea of an iPad slapped into the middle of an unwieldy Dreamcast controller a bit frightening to be honest. I much prefer the idea of the screen being a separate entity...

3 AM EST on the 26th is what financial sites are reporting

shadyspace said:
I assume the Rockstar rumor has been thoroughly discussed? Surprised it's not in the OP, actually.
havent really been any thread update.

Rockstar stuff is most likely absolutely true. Launch Window GTA5 is perfectly logical

Mr. Spinnington said:
t9M3Z.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsBon3DTwIY

radioheadrule83 said:

Well, I like said earlier in the thread, it's likely that the controller mentioned in the rumors is an alpha devkit part and not indicative of the final product. All we really know for sure (assuming that the rumors are all correct) is that it has buttons, bumpers, triggers, dual analogs, motion controls "better than Move", a camera, and a 6" touch screen. How all of that will come together in the final product is anyone's guess.

Dascu

Lonewolf_92 said:
Maybe Nintendo should buy Grasshopper (The Silver Case, Michigan: Report from Hell, Killer 7, NMH series) and Platinum Games (MadWorld, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns) and let them put out whatever they can exclusively for their systems. Perhaps then Nintendo won't be seen as "kiddy" by some.
They're too niche/small-time to make a substantial impact on public opinion of Nintendo. Just like no one gives a shit that they published Sin&Punishment 2, Fatal Frame 4 and The Last Story, no one would give a shit if they'd publish MadWorld Zero or The Silver Case Redux.

They need something bigger, really, if they want to change their public perception of kids-only. Something like a Rockstar exclusive or a shooter from Bungie. I'm not sure how realistic that is. Personally I don't really care since I don't really enjoy such games.

Rich!

Maximilian E. said:
Ok, so I wanted to share some thoughts about all this..

At first, Nintendo seems to be in a kind of "awkward" postion. Mobile gaming is starting, to some extentent, affecting or intruding into their dominance in the portable space and this for obvious reasons. A phone is something you always bring with you, a portable gaming device is something you have to make a conscious choice of bringing or not.

Secondly, the console market.
As I see it, it really does not matter if Nintendo releases the most impressive hardware ever, tech specs wise (obviously, they will not sell a machine at loss now, they basically never have). The problem with Nintendo, which has always been the case, is image. (yeah I know, people have been hearing this before).. but there are reasons why some of the most popular games of this generation, the CoDs, the assassins creed etc, have not been released on a ninty console (in some variation) or if it has, it has been a lackluster success.

The problem is that, as I see it again, it really does not matter if Nintendo invites all of the 3rd parties, if Nintendo themselves do not bring out these kind of "mature" games (like a CoD or assassins creed made by NIntendo 1st party), then nothing will ever change and Sony and MS will still house these kinds of IPs, IPs that do affect image, hardware and software sales etc.

(Side note, Wii won many points with its motion controller but what is the next step? Bio metric-input data? Motion sensing like Kinect seems to be where the money will be at, more advanced tech, coupled with above metioned biometric-data (pulse, cold, heat from body etc).

Anyways, my point is that for Nintendo, they have to change from within, in order to see changes from outside. Yes, Ninty is like the disney of consoles, which is not a bad thing, but the disney of console would never release something like an Inception, Black swan, True grit or any other blockbuster movies that has been releases recently.

As always, it will be interesting to see what Nintendo brings to the table, perhaps they can repeat the success from the Wii but I think, even though after the massive success of Wii and DS, Ninty is in an even more thigther spot. More companies are battling now, Apple and Android devices are also competing for our time.

And what will Sony and MS counter with? MS will have an even more advanced Kinect (built in hopefully) and Sony with a tech specs heavy monster?

And what about onlive kind of services?

So to sum up, my point is that Ninty "most likely" will be hurting more this coming gen because they never change "image" wise. It is always the same. Nintendo have to start releasing the "CoDs" and the likes, in order to compete with the rest, in the console space because this time, they will not have a gimmick or their gimmick will not be as different as the rest.

OTOH, Nintendo somehow always manages... :)

I hope you realise that Disney DO release adult films. I watched one the other night - apocolypto. and of course, you need to look up on mirimax.

because essentially, Disney own them. which means they financed and released kill bill among others.

plex

Hey guys, did I miss something relevant within the last pages?
Last thing I've read was about this Sony guy helping Nintendo with CPU stuff and such.

antonz

plex said:
Last thing I've read was about this Sony guy helping Nintendo with CPU stuff and such.
Nothing new since the Sony Engineer bit. The French are quiet so far today

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
plex said:

IGN's Fran Mirabella is stating developers with kits are saying the controller looks like a standard controller (GameCube / Dreamcast) but with an LCD and touch screen fused in the middle.

Fran goes to point that this would be ideal for co-op types of games where the experienced player could be playing on the big screen, while your Dad or little brother who suck, can play co-op with some smaller type of role being played on a separate controller on the little screen. Something like what Nintendo tried to do with SMG co-op. It could be brilliant.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Shikamaru Ninja said:
IGN's Fran Mirabella is stating developers with kits are saying the controller looks like a standard controller (GameCube / Dreamcast) but with an LCD and touch screen fused in the middle.

Fran goes to point that this would be ideal for co-op types of games where the experienced player could be playing on the big screen, while your Dad or little brother who suck, can play co-op with some smaller type of role being played on a separate controller on the little screen. Something like what Nintendo tried to do with SMG co-op. It could be brilliant.

Yeah, the potential is really huge. And like the 3DS with 3D, Nintendo has attempted this before with GBA/GCN and (to a lesser extent) DS/Wii connectivity. So there is precedent for it. It definitely seems like Nintendo doesn't like throwing ideas away just because they didn't take off at first, but instead tweaking them until they're successful.

plex

Shikamaru Ninja said:

I still can in no way imagine Nintendo getting rid of the Wiimote, especially the pointer feature.
It would really feel like a step backwards imo.

farnham

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:

okay im out

no way im buying this

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
plex said:
I still can in no way imagine Nintendo getting rid of the Wiimote, especially the pointer feature.
It would really feel like a step backwards imo.

Well Nintendo will undoubtedly have another type of control method. Whether it be a camera, or a remote packaged alongside it. I am sure.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Well Nintendo will undoubtedly have another type of control method. Whether it be a camera, or a remote packaged alongside it. I am sure.

I hope so. It makes no sense to drop the Wii Remote style controller for something so similar to a DS.

Woffls

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Yup, that's what I was expecting, and exactly the kind of co-op experience I alluded to a few
thousand
pages back with a Call of Duty example. P1 plays CoD, P2 controls drones, marks targets and moves squads.

I stand by my modular controller prediction for now, so that motion controls and analogue sticks can still be used without the screen. The alternative is using Wiimotes for motion control, and the standard N6 controller just having a popout screen.

[edit] Except he seems to be implying that there would be two whole controllers and that the screen is not removable... hmmm, maybe the N6 controller and just Wiimotes for Wiiing.

plex

Shikamaru Ninja said:
In this case I'd certainly prefer the idea of having the screen as an attachable module for the Wiimote. Two separate controllers just don't seem very reasonable.

m3k

to me it all seems cumbersome... id say that nintendo knows better than releasing something annoying to hold but the virtual boy and the 64 controller say hi

runs away

Akai

m3k said:
to me it all seems cumbersome... id say that nintendo knows better than releasing something annoying to hold but the virtual boy and the 64 controller say hi

runs away

You were one of those people that tried to move the control stick with your hand on the left prong, weren't you?

Andrex said:
Yeah, the potential is really huge. And like the 3DS with 3D, Nintendo has attempted this before with GBA/GCN and (to a lesser extent) DS/Wii connectivity. So there is precedent for it. It definitely seems like Nintendo doesn't like throwing ideas away just because they didn't take off at first, but instead tweaking them until they're successful.

IIRC, Miyamoto talked about "putting ideas in drawers" instead of scrapping them and returning to them later to see if the passage of time or improvements in technology could make them work. It seems to be the Nintendo approach - there are no flops, only "noble failures" that can be revisited when the time is right.

Boken

Banned
People pissed off at pointer controls... Nintendo makes traditional controller, people pissed off at traditional controls. Yeaaah.

Woffls

So, if IGN have seen the controller - I'm listening to the cast now, my god the audio levels are bad - can't we just assume that their mockup is based on the actual controller? It would certainly work, but I always assumed putting a 6" screen in there would compromise it too much. Unless 6" is an approximation and it's like 5" or something.

If this is what the controller will be, then I'm certain it will use Wiimotes for motion control. And something else I just thought of, using motion control and touch screen at the same time wouldn't work anyway! hah.

plex

Boken said:
People pissed off at pointer controls... Nintendo makes traditional controller, people pissed off at traditional controls. Yeaaah.
Don't think so, most people only hated waggle controls.
The pointer is perfect for navigating menus, aiming in shooters and such things.

Shikamaru Ninja said:

This would be... disappointing. I like the Wiimote. Pointer controls are awesome and I would miss them very much. : /

Jikagi

I never expected the wiimote to be the controller or be similar to the controller to the system. I think it'll work like playing gamecube games on the Wii, that you just have to connect the controller with a sensor bar that could be included with the system.

wsippel

Banned
For the people who fear the $150 controller: According to UBM TechInsights, RIM pays around $45 per 7" 1024 x 600 multitouch screen (BlackBerry PlayBook). Nintendo reportedly uses a smaller screen without multitouch, and will most likely offer a long term contract with a much larger volume. I doubt they'll pay more than $30 per screen. But we're probably still looking at $60 to $80 per controller.

plex

wsippel said:
For the people who fear the $150 controller: According to UBM TechInsights, RIM pays around $45 per 7" 1024 x 600 multitouch screen (BlackBerry PlayBook). Nintendo reportedly uses a smaller screen without multitouch, and will most likely offer a long term contract with a much larger volume. I doubt they'll pay more than $30 per screen. But we're probably still looking at $60 to $80 per controller.
I'd rather pay $5 more per controller and have multitouch. :/

antonz

wsippel said:
80 buck wouldn't be terrible when you consider Move+subcontroller is that and the Nintendo controller would obviously be packing a lot more in it

Mojojo

From The Dust said:
Ditching the wiimote is a bad idea, I think. :(
Maybe they aren't ditching anything.
As someone said, the codename Cafe could mean the console is a 'gathering place', a hub of sort for all Nintendo devices (which would go with the rumor that it's upgradable over time :future nintendo products could be used with it). It could be used for the 3DS, DS, with Wiimotes, with the new tablet-thingy control, depending of what usage you have.
Of course the downside is, it's confusing and a lack of single focus can be a pitfall.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mojojo said:
Maybe they aren't ditching anything.
As someone said, the codename Cafe could mean the console is a 'gathering place', a hub of sort for all Nintendo devices (which would go with the rumor that it's upgradable over time :future nintendo products could be used with it). It could be used for the 3DS, DS, with Wiimotes, with the new tablet-thingy control, depending of what usage you have.
Of course the downside is, it's confusing and a lack of single focus can be a pitfall.
Upgradable over time? Are you sure you haven't got that mixed up with the joke rumour of Project Butterfly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom