• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah the video he put out was inspiring. I had expected him to head to the west of Ukraine or maybe even Poland. He said fuck that and decided to stay in the capital despite the obvious dangers to himself.

It's one thing to stay and fight when you have no choice and nowhere to go. But he has the ability to go to safety and refused despite knowing what will happen to him of he is captured. That is a special kind of bravery.

I can safely say that if this happened in the UK, Boris Johnson would be on the first plane out of here.

Zelenskyy is leading from the front, which is incredibly brave, but it will also put a huge target on his back. I wish him all the best and hope Kyiv can hold out.

thuGG_pl

No doubt that some of them are asshole (which happens in nearly all armies at wartime, American soldiers did fucked up shit during Vietnam)

Blaming a soldier for the overall conflict Is like giving a cop shit because of the laws they enforce.
Why shouldn't I blame a soldier for his own actions and initiatives? He decided in an instant to drive over a civilian car with people in it. Piece of shit animal. Nothing to do with war and war objectives.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I can safely say that if this happened in the UK, Boris Johnson would be on the first plane out of here.

Zelenskyy is leading from the front, which is incredibly brave, but it will also put a huge target on his back. I wish him all the best and hope Kyiv can hold out.
Yeah I cannot think of a single US president that would be doing the same either going as far back as I can think of. Maybe Eisenhower would have done it? Big fucking maybe.

Though to be fair even if a US president did try to do it I wouldn't put it past the secret service to club them over the head and carry him to safety anyway.

Catphish

No doubt that some of them are asshole (which happens in nearly all armies at wartime, American soldiers did fucked up shit during Vietnam)

Blaming a soldier for the overall conflict Is like giving a cop shit because of the laws they enforce.
Every human being is responsible for actions made of their own volition. There are no exceptions.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Apparently the CCP are getting a lot of backtalk from the rabble at home about how they always make a big deal about international order is based on respecting the sovereignty of nations and their right to do as they like. I expect public statements from China about how this should be resolved in a way that respects Ukraine's territory and sovereignty are for a domestic audience, and really they don't care at all. They just want to be able to continue to use the "respect my sovereignty" card when Hong Kong or human rights abuses are brought up.

I was hoping for this to end very soon, but looks like zeleynsky cares about ukrainian people as much as putin does about russians. :messenger_weary:

I don't understand this comment and don't wish to misinterpret so can you explain yourself?

Because it seems like you're expecting a sovereign nation and it's citizens to just stand down as they are conquered. Perhaps you need to educate yourself as to the history of ethnic Ukrainians under Russian dominance and what they've gone through. But I cannot believe you'd be saying this.

I don't understand this comment and don't wish to misinterpret so can you explain yourself?

Because it seems like you're expecting a sovereign nation and it's citizens to just stand down as they are conquered. Perhaps you need to educate yourself as to the history of ethnic Ukrainians under Russian dominance and what they've gone through. But I cannot believe you'd be saying this.
Not allowing anyone 18-60 leave the country [excluding women] and forcing weaklings to fight against the incoming professional hardened chechen veterans who survived multiple wars is sure fire to be a slaughter. I know emotions running high, but this is a mass murder by the president.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Not allowing anyone 18-60 leave the country [excluding women] and forcing weaklings to fight against the incoming professional hardened chechen veterans who survived multiple wars is sure fire to be a slaughter. I know emotions running high, but this is a mass murder by the president.

Or by, you know, Russia - the one's pulling the trigger. They can, I dunno, stop this war?

SegaShack

I 100% agree. I just think it’s counterproductive to view them as devoid of any logic or motives other than evil, however flawed they may be. The better we understand our enemy, the more we can influence and counter them. And before anyone accuses me of being a sympathizer yet again, fuck Vladimir Putin and fuck anyone supporting him. I hope he drops dead yesterday.
No worries! I see your point for sure, no one should approach anything from one side. It's always good to broaden your understanding.

MikeM

Gold Member
Whats with the neo nazi and drug addict talk from Putin? Did he actually say that and expect people to believe his message?

Wildebeest

Use all your well-learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste, mm yeah :messenger_musical:
Politesse/Polish. Keep your house clean, or Robin Goodfellow will be displeased if he visits, is the tradition in England. One fun story is how Aleister Crowley taught the V for Victory symbol to Churchill as a way of invoking the spirit of Robin Goodfellow to defeat the Nazi occultists. Non less than Karl Marx invoked Robin Goodfellow to wish for communism to rise up and spread across Europe.

Or by, you know, Russia - the one's pulling the trigger. They can, I dunno, stop this war?
When in history had an invading force willingly retreated without victim appeasing to invaders demands? Maybe there has been one or two instances that I haven't heard, but it's very unlikely outcome you'd agree.

akimbo009

Gold Member
When in history had an invading force willingly retreated without victim appeasing to invaders demands? Maybe there has been one or two instances that I haven't heard, but it's very unlikely outcome you'd agree.

Sure - probably rare. However, it's not the Ukrainian President killing his people, it's Russia and Putin killing Ukrainian people. I think you'd agree.

Well, looks like Facebook access has been restricted within Russian domain by the authorities for neglecting to fact-check with Russian officials, apparently.

Not all heroes wear capes

While I can appreciate the thought behind this, its just ultimately a vain effort to score some bonus brownie points. The total impact of this is the square sum of zero.

They won't, nobody does. The same as the west doesn't use nukes to defend ukraine. Nukes are fucking useless.

Also there is nothing to nuke if russia doesn't know who raids them, he's going to nuke the entire world? just play his shit ass games and see how he likes it. Dude has boarders up his ass that he can't defend for shit.

I'm going to straight up be blunt and say I'm sure as fuck relieved you're not working or involved in strategic military intelligence, decision making and operations.

Last edited:
Sure - probably rare. However, it's not the Ukrainian President killing his people, it's Russia and Putin killing Ukrainian people. I think you'd agree.
Absolutely and it's something only ukrainian and russ pres can stop. Forcing regular men fight when you know they don't stand a chance and will get slaughtered is not a patriotic move no matter how the press will try to spin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom