• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russo Bros. in Talks to Direct Next Two ‘Avengers’ Movies

Hrk69

Gold Member

Joe and Anthony Russo are assembling a team — once again.

The Russo Bros. are in early talks to return to Marvel Studios to direct not just one, but the next two Avengers movies, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The hiring ends a months-long, high stakes search by the studio for filmmakers to oversee the fifth and sixth Avengers movies. Multiple names were in contention, including Deadpool & Wolverine director Shawn Levy, who was offered the gig. Sources say the talks are in the early stages.

Bernie Mac Day GIF

Last edited:

ManaByte

Why? Fuck all this continuity bollocks.

Instead of trying to explain where the Mutants have been hiding for the entire history of the MCU they're doing a soft reboot like they did after the comic Secret Wars (that melded the Ultimate and 616 universes) where the X-Men, F4, and MCU characters will all exist in one universe.

Feige already confirmed the F4 movie is set in the 60s in an alternate universe.

Secret Wars will reboot it all, keeping the MCU cast and adding new people as the Mutants and the new F4 cast.

clarky

Gold Member
Instead of trying to explain where the Mutants have been hiding for the entire history of the MCU they're doing a soft reboot like they did after the comic Secret Wars (that melded the Ultimate and 616 universes) where the X-Men, F4, and MCU characters will all exist in one universe.

Feige already confirmed the F4 movie is set in the 60s in an alternate universe.

Secret Wars will reboot it all, keeping the MCU cast and adding new people as the Mutants and the new F4 cast.
Like i said fuck all that.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Best case scenario for these movies. They have almost no real directors left. Winter Soldier and Civil War are still among the best of all Marvel movies. It's a big question mark though if they will ever reach those heights. Even the last half of Infinity War and pretty much all of Endgame sucked, and that was with a far better cast, characters, and before the last 5 years of decline. Turning this around and generating genuine interest is a nearly impossible task, so I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
No they left Marvel thinking they'd be a huge success on their own. They just made flops for Netflix since.
Their stuff is just too bloated. Nigh infinite budgets and "let CGI fill the gap" laziness in realizing a concept (lets have a20 minute continuous train fight!) leading to viewer fatigue and tedium. When throwing a guy off a building is done FOR REAL its a major stunt and has some gravitas to it. When you can just CG a ragdoll instead you say "fuck it" and have 20 people get thrown off, it feels fake and becomes routine.

The Russos, and a lot of directors, really, need to have their budgets slashed to sub 50 mill where they have to get creative, have to use in-camera tricks and a good script to get results, and can't just "fix it in post" or have massive reshoots. Get it done quick and dirty! CG should be relegated to erasing safety wires, replacing stuntmen in distant shots, and stuff like extending sword blades for fights (I can only pray Cavill is doing this with the Highlander film).

I really should just watch Fall Guy a few more times :p

Their stuff is just too bloated. Nigh infinite budgets and "let CGI fill the gap" laziness in realizing a concept (lets have a20 minute continuous train fight!) leading to viewer fatigue and tedium. When throwing a guy off a building is done FOR REAL its a major stunt and has some gravitas to it. When you can just CG a ragdoll instead you say "fuck it" and have 20 people get thrown off, it feels fake and becomes routine.

The Russos, and a lot of directors, really, need to have their budgets slashed to sub 50 mill where they have to get creative, have to use in-camera tricks and a good script to get results, and can't just "fix it in post" or have massive reshoots. Get it done quick and dirty! CG should be relegated to erasing safety wires, replacing stuntmen in distant shots, and stuff like extending sword blades for fights (I can only pray Cavill is doing this with the Highlander film).

I really should just watch Fall Guy a few more times :p

I would say most of the Mission Impossible Action Sequences are forgettable

If anything I wish most of the Action Sequences in those movies were like the bathroom fight scene. The one with Henry Cavill. Wish those movies would go that route..

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Considering the weak shows, they should just start fresh again, reboot the whole thing, no one gives a shit about the multiverse. Keep it simple, have classic strong villain that wins vs cool heroes and thats it. Infinite War was peak because they had the balls to kill of heroes. If they never risk stuff, no one will give a shit. Well except ManaByte, he consumes everything, so much that I genuinely believe he has a job at Disney.

Interesting to see how this all unfolds.

The beauty of the first wave of the MCU is that I gave a shit about the characters so for the Russo's to end it off with EndGame was the icing on a delicious decade long cake. Nothing since then has entertained me.

Since I don't give an iota of a shit for anything related to the Avengers now in the latest wave of movies, they're going to have to pull some pretty heavy punches to get me interested again.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I would say most of the Mission Impossible Action Sequences are forgettable

If anything I wish most of the Action Sequences in those movies were like the bathroom fight scene. The one with Henry Cavill. Wish those movies would go that route..
At least most of the M:I films have a visceral quality powered by the cruise missile. It's the "let me type faster!" Bullshit hacker Stuff with pegg and rhames that drag those films down for me.

Same with the recent bond films. The plot should NEVER be "stick a thumb drive into this computer so we can have a 0-100% completion bar scene" with his silly scooby gang.

Trilobit

Who are even the main superheroes right now? Is Spider-Man part of it or are Sony doing their own thing? MCU has mostly felt like a very sad and unnecessary epilogue after Endgame.

At least most of the M:I films have a visceral quality powered by the cruise missile. It's the "let me type faster!" Bullshit hacker Stuff with pegg and rhames that drag those films down for me.

Same with the recent bond films. The plot should NEVER be "stick a thumb drive into this computer so we can have a 0-100% completion bar scene" with his silly scooby gang.

Yet those Action Sequences are mostly forgettable for me. And I get bored during most of those Mission Impossible action sequences. I don't get any thrill from it at all

All I recall is that Bathroom Fight Scene

For me it doesn't matter if CGI or Practical is used for Action Sequences. If the Action Sequences are memorable, than I love them regardless of whether they use CGI or Practical Effects

Examples of movies that have memorable action sequences that use lot of Practical Effects when it comes to Action

The Raid Movies. I'm still waiting on The Raid 3 to come out. The car chase sequence in the second movie is in my Top 5 favorite car chase sequences in a movie. The fights themselves are visceral and brutal. I wish more movies would take notes from The Raid movies. I'm also a bit salty that Deathstroke movie will never come out. Gareth Edward was suppose to direct it and it was gonna to be Hard R

Children of Men. The One Shot takes are especially fantastic

The Dark Knight Trilogy. The fighting sequences can be hit or miss for me. But the action sequences are all memorable

Examples of movies that have memorable action Sequences that use lot of CGI

MCU Phase 1 - 3. I agree with MCU Phase 4 - 5, that the CGI has been extremely weak across the board. Also there's not lot of memorable action sequences in comparison to Phase 1 - 3.

The Terminator 3. Man some of those action sequences were just plain fun

Gravity, you can say what you will about the science but I had lot of good fun with this movie

The Avatar films but that's also because each one took 8 to 11 years to come out so they can spend as much time as they can

Personally when it comes to horror, I prefer the film just uses all practical. CGI hasn't gotten to the point yet when it comes to gore effects where it becomes indistinguishable from practical

My two cents

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
It's a shame we still have at least one movie left dealing with the multiverse saga. I was enthusiastic about it at first, but it ground down and the Ant-Man movie with Kang killed any interest I had left in it. I wish they would let it end with the satisfying conclusion of Loki s2 and rewrite the next Avengers film to exclude Kang while implementing some simple way to introduce the Fantastic 4 and the X-Men.

Last edited:
It's a shame we still have at least one movie left dealing with the multiverse saga. I was enthusiastic about it at first, but it ground down and the Ant-Man movie with Kang killed any interest I had left in it. I wish they would let it end with the satisfying conclusion of Loki s2 and rewrite the next Avengers film to exclude Kang and implement some simple way to introduce the Fantastic 4 and the X-Men.

Oh yeah it was mostly a disappointment for me since I love the Multiverse concept and the potential stuff that can happen in result of that. I did love Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness and Loki when it comes to the Multiverse though. BTW I especially hated Spider-Man No Way Home

Last edited:

bitbydeath

They need to bring in a villain that kills 90% of the characters they’ve introduced since Infinity War.

Clean house, then bring on the mutants.

YukiOnna

Oh yeah it was mostly a disappointment for me since I love the Multiverse concept and the potential stuff that can happen in result of that. I did love Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness and Loki though when it comes to the Multiverse though. BTW I especially hated Spider-Man No Way Home
Dr Strange is what made me hate the multiverse, it's all cool effects and worlds, but the approach to characters is the same old. I'm still annoyed at how they handled Mordo after setting something up in the first movie, only to go deal with something entirely different in the sequel. Not to mention, the Illuminati.

Doom85

They need to bring in a villain that kills 90% of the characters they’ve introduced since Infinity War.

Clean house, then bring on the mutants.

Ah yes, repeat the same mistake that murdered the comics’ Ultimate Marvel universe’s sales when they pulled the exact same stunt in the comics with the shitty edgelord murderfest event known as Ultimatum.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

bitbydeath

Ah yes, repeat the same mistake that murdered the comics’ Ultimate Marvel universe’s sales when they pulled the exact same stunt in the comics with the shitty edgelord murderfest event known as Ultimatum.

I don’t read the comics so not sure what the correlation is, but the movies are a mess.

Dr Strange is what made me hate the multiverse, it's all cool effects and worlds, but the approach to characters is the same old. I'm still annoyed at how they handled Mordo after setting something up in the first movie, only to go deal with something entirely different in the sequel. Not to mention, the Illuminati.

Well I love those parts, so agree to disagree

I think the Mordo set up in the first movie is still gonna to come though at a later date. Might be wrong though

YukiOnna

Well I love those parts, so agree to disagree

I think the Mordo set up in the first movie is still gonna to come though at a later date. Might be wrong though
Nothing wrong with that ofc. I just don't like how they drop plot points or off-screen things and have the same, but slightly different guy show up. It's a bit too messy. Unfortunately, the movie was supposed to open with an unreleased scene of Mordo being killed by Scarlet in the first place, so I think they just dropped it... could maybe change though

jason10mm

Gold Member
But how do they reboot Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, and Thor? No way will they ever let pretenders take those roles, it's FAR too hard to get any superhero other than the top 5 into the public awareness. We've tolerated new spidermen quite well, and new Hulks to some extent, I think they can just keep on rolling with new actors playing those roles but if they want death to mean anything then they do gotta give 'dead' characters a good 15 year rest. X-men is a good opportunity to focus on popular characters (hopefully with new stproes than what we've seen in the past few xmen) and then they can cycle back around to avengers again.

Nothing wrong with that ofc. I just don't like how they drop plot points or off-screen things and have the same, but slightly different guy show up. It's a bit too messy. Unfortunately, the movie was supposed to open with an unreleased scene of Mordo being killed by Scarlet in the first place, so I think they just dropped it... could maybe change though

Well for me, when it comes to the Multiverse, I just feel lot of it is rushed and just there to push fanservice. Reason why I hated Spider-Man No Way Home was because most of the fanservice felt forced. When the fanservice hit alot in Infinity War/Endgame, it felt natural to me and earned. I'm looking forward to seeing how James Gunn DCU does, since they have all their IPs under one roof and James Gunn I think can challenge the MCU successfully. The DCU can have a natural occurring universe from the start since they have all the IPs from all their characters. Yes Superman is gonna to have a ton of other heroes in it but I feel like Gunn is gonna to be able to put them in a natural way. I heard he even said that with his film, Heroes are already established. So there's that. I'm not a fan of Gunn personally, the only movie I enjoyed was Guardians 2. But the MCU needs competition since they have been losing money due to being complicent. I'm hoping I enjoy the Superman movie since even though I have Superhero movie fatigue, I do love the good ones that come out. I can't wait for The Penguin show while I'm skipping Agatha All Along. MCU wise I'm interested in Deadpool And Wolverine and Captain America Brave New World. But like every movie I watch, I wait for Streaming nowadays

Doom85

I don’t read the comics so not sure what the correlation is, but the movies are a mess.

So was the Ultimate universe, sales were going down on most titles, so they made an event that killed a huge chunk of the cast…..and it did not win over fans, because they just pissed off the people who were still fans, and unintentionally sent out a message of, “hey, if sales go down, we’ll give you the middle finger and mass-murder characters you were fans of!” which means newcomers would be wary of getting into it with such an attitude from the company because what’s to stop them from pulling the same stunt again in the future?

That’s what your suggestion would do. You find ways to bring in new fans or bring back old fans, but you don’t slap the hand that is currently feeding you. Otherwise, now you’ve made yourself an untrustworthy holder of the IP who will tell the fans to go fuck themselves if sales ever go down. That is bad business, plain and simple.

If characters aren’t performing like they should sales wise, reduce their appearances for the time and find ways to bring them back later in more appealing ways. That’s what good creative artists would do. Creatively bankrupt artists who don’t really value their fans as a whole would go, “well, time for a murder spree!”

Hrk69

Gold Member
They are going to bring back the main cast and we are all going to be fucking delighted

DELIGHTED

Last edited:

Doom85

But how do they reboot Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, and Thor? No way will they ever let pretenders take those roles, it's FAR too hard to get any superhero other than the top 5 into the public awareness. We've tolerated new spidermen quite well, and new Hulks to some extent, I think they can just keep on rolling with new actors playing those roles but if they want death to mean anything then they do gotta give 'dead' characters a good 15 year rest. X-men is a good opportunity to focus on popular characters (hopefully with new stproes than what we've seen in the past few xmen) and then they can cycle back around to avengers again.

They don’t need to reboot Tony or Steve, at least not until after the MCU concludes. Also Thor is alive and they set up for a 5th movie for him, so not sure why you’re lumping him in with the first two.

See, it’s funny you say “popular characters”. The Avengers were not as popular as Spidey or the X-men pre-2008. Hell, before you say, “well, the latter two already had some movies”, no, the Avengers weren’t even as popular as Spidey or the X-men pre-2000 (hell, in the 90’s comic Marvel vs DC, Tony was not in the main matchups or the secondary matchups! But of course Spidey and several X-men were!) But it’s shown that good movies can change that. Guardians of the Galaxy was a name that would have meant nothing to most people pre-2014. It’s not that hard, it’s called making good content (and a little bit of luck).

DC as well, normies did not appreciate Wonder Woman back in the day (you still get some basic haters now, all these punks complaining about Diana getting her first AAA game, yeah how “dare” she!), but then 2017 rolls around and they’re all, “holy shit, her movie was great! Maybe there’s hope for DC movies after all!”

Oh, and hmm, what was the highest grossing movie of the DCEU? I mean, surely it couldn’t be a character that ignorant people define as “useless” based on his Superfriends version, a cartoon all the way back in the 70’s? Nah, that would be just ridiculo-

shocked holy shit GIF

Public perception can be changed. Stop making shows with rushed effects and bad action directors, and give them proper movies. The first four MCU shows (WandaVision, Falcon, Loki, and Hawkeye) worked for the most part, but it helped those were prior established characters. Moon Knight and Ms. Marvel should have been films, the former should have had sick intense action against a legit threatening villain (nothing against Ethan Hawke, great actor, but his role was a character who had only appeared in ONE issue of Moon Knight, why not use a more threatening villain?!) and Ms Marvel should have been a fun romp with her establishing herself as a hero in Jersey City as she fights her first comic villain The Inventor, a human bird hybrid clone of Thomas Edison (for real, comics are insane and I love it. Gorilla Grodd when, DC?!) rather than the show’s random ass villains who had nothing to do with the comics and looked lame visually as they’re just a bunch of humans with basic ass powers.

And Secret Invasion? Fuck man, that should have been a big movie extravaganza, Skrull forces infiltrating everywhere as Fury gathers what few heroes he can that he knows aren’t imposters and we get a Rogue One style “few heroes have to take on a far larger force using attrition and such”. Instead, we got the stupidity we got.

James Gunn has said the plan for DC moving forward is 2 movies and 2 shows max per year. I think Marvel is headed for a similar approach in 2025 and beyond. Give the films more time to be worked on, and save shows for stories that warrant it rather than rushing out a ton of them.

bitbydeath

So was the Ultimate universe, sales were going down on most titles, so they made an event that killed a huge chunk of the cast…..and it did not win over fans, because they just pissed off the people who were still fans, and unintentionally sent out a message of, “hey, if sales go down, we’ll give you the middle finger and mass-murder characters you were fans of!” which means newcomers would be wary of getting into it with such an attitude from the company because what’s to stop them from pulling the same stunt again in the future?

That’s what your suggestion would do. You find ways to bring in new fans or bring back old fans, but you don’t slap the hand that is currently feeding you. Otherwise, now you’ve made yourself an untrustworthy holder of the IP who will tell the fans to go fuck themselves if sales ever go down. That is bad business, plain and simple.

If characters aren’t performing like they should sales wise, reduce their appearances for the time and find ways to bring them back later in more appealing ways. That’s what good creative artists would do. Creatively bankrupt artists who don’t really value their fans as a whole would go, “well, time for a murder spree!”
I think it’s different for movies as the actors can’t play those roles forever, and I doubt many would miss the endless list of rubbish characters they’ve been rolling out.

Eternals
Captain Marvel
Young Avengers
She-Hulk
Echo

Start there

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think it’s different for movies as the actors can’t play those roles forever, and I doubt many would miss the endless list of rubbish characters they’ve been rolling out.
This.

It's financially ruinous to have these actors for too long, look at what RDJ was getting for Tony at the end. There needs to be a risk of character death but the films shouldn't be retiring the jersey forever just because an actor dies or the character does. I don't think the MCU should have such a linear continuity that a film made now should be 100% in direct continuity with Ironman from 2008 but neither should they be so lax that there are 3 different Tony's in 3 different timelines (like the DC side is doing with Batman). Just write good stories, have them share the actors, have loose connections between them. Don't give me a 20 movie arc (especially at 2 fims a year) just some cool cameos and team-ups when it makes sense and if a few catch hot fire then do a group film with them in an organic way.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cool.

Had totally forgotten about Ultimatum's existence until you mentioned it. Some of the worst writing ever.

It's all in the execution though, no pun intended. The MCU could use some housekeeping.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

Eternals
Captain Marvel
Young Avengers
She-Hulk
Echo

Start there

I mostly agree with this.

- No one cares about the Eternals or their backstory, and it feels like there's nowhere to go for them anyways.
- The first Capt Marvel was fine and did like a billion dollars, but that ship has passed
- Young Avengers, eh, it hasn't been made yet. With a good screenplay and director there could be gold, but the anchor characters would be regular-ass Avengers age by the time it's made (Iman Vellani, Hailee Steinfield, and Xochitl Gomez)
- She-Hulk a boutique comedy. It entertained me but I realize there's no potential for a movie here
- Echo was just plain bad and will forever remain a TV character with maybe a small movie cameo

For me I hope they focus on the Fantastic Four and the X-men, with side movies featuring Blade and other truly major comic characters that haven't been seen on the big screen either ever or in decades.

Is there anyone still interested in these second rate avengers? The whole thing ended for me with the last avengers movie when they killed off a lot of characters and then tried to fill in the void with shitty characters for the woke people.

Doom85

I mostly agree with this.

- No one cares about the Eternals or their backstory, and it feels like there's nowhere to go for them anyways.
- The first Capt Marvel was fine and did like a billion dollars, but that ship has passed
- Young Avengers, eh, it hasn't been made yet. With a good screenplay and director there could be gold, but the anchor characters would be regular-ass Avengers age by the time it's made (Iman Vellani, Hailee Steinfield, and Xochitl Gomez)
- She-Hulk a boutique comedy. It entertained me but I realize there's no potential for a movie here
- Echo was just plain bad and will forever remain a TV character with maybe a small movie cameo

For me I hope they focus on the Fantastic Four and the X-men, with side movies featuring Blade and other truly major comic characters that haven't been seen on the big screen either ever or in decades.

Okay, but there’s a difference between what you’re saying versus bitbydeath who is all, “I don’t like these characters therefore MURDER THEM!”

-Eternals will probably make smaller appearances in crossover films or other cosmic films to wrap up their story, they don’t need another movie all to themselves
-again, Carol can just show up in Avengers movies only from now on, killing her is unnecessary
-adult actors playing teens is nothing new, also Kate Bishop is an adult in the Hawkeye show anyway so age is irrelevant. Also, this would be a nice team for Peter to be on so he can actually hang with heroes his own age, lord knows he needs it with how emotionally wrecked he is at this point. Regardless, Kamala will likely join the X-men at some point anyway, and Kate might be the new Hawkeye in the Avengers movies as unlike the comics where both are active Hawkeyes, I don’t know how much Jeremy Renner will be able to fully recover. I’m hoping fully, but if he isn’t able to do the physical aspects of the character, then likely Kate will be Hawkeye and Clint her mentor
-She-Hulk not having a solo film doesn’t necessitate killing her. She can be a supporting character in certain projects and on the Avengers whenever Mark Ruffalo is ready to call it quits
-see above

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Is there anyone still interested in these second rate avengers? The whole thing ended for me with the last avengers movie when they killed off a lot of characters and then tried to fill in the void with shitty characters for the woke people.
Best case scenario, they get Daredevil, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange and Spider Man to make a martial arts movie on par with Winter Soldier.

Everyone else should get accidentally stuck in midget size with Ant Man because his suit malfunctioned, so they're just stuck at the base trying to hide from the stupid Captain Marvel cat as he eats multiple members of the team.

Vyse

Gold Member
Winter Soldier was one of my favorite MCU movies. Better the Russo Bros than an untested director who did a few artistic movies with no understanding or love for Super Hero movies. Disney must be backing up the Brinks truck for these guys.

Hopefully by slowing down the output and increasing the quality, we will start getting some good movies again.

Excited for Deadpool and Wolverine.

YCoCg

I'm not sure how Marvel can course correct itself at the moment, the main issue for me has been the mishandling of characters and plotlines, due to delays, reshoots, scrapped plans, etc, we've been left with the past five years of characters being introduced, not much happening and then seemingly dropped or mentioned off hand. Shang Chi is a prime example of that, dude was introduced in his movie years ago, not been mentioned since or interacted with anyone else. Let's not even talk about Blade who had a fucking voice cameo at the end of that one thing and now again years have passed and they still don't know what to do and can't get the movie off the ground. We're only JUST getting a plot follow up to what happened in the Eternals and the movie that's tackling that isn't even out til next year!

Compare this to how tight Phase 1 was, even with its bad movies, in the space of five years you got everyone set up, crossovers and then an Avengers movie, and a massive set up for Phase 2 and 3 with Thanos!

Top Bottom