• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

OatmealMu

Bodies disappear after a while. Due to not knowing that the mission was complete, I spent about 45-60 minutes defending the warehouse in Garbage. Eventually, I tried to fight my way through to get to the next zone. Bodies everywhere! And I'm glad to see other people have witnessed bodies being randomly placed in fire barrels.

Avalon

Bodies seem to have random loot after a while too. I don't really like that. Makes it too easy to get a huge amount of supplies.

OatmealMu

IIRC, if you leave an area and then return, all of the bodies will be restocked regardless of whether or not you looted them.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The patch fixes the following bugs:

1. Buttons remain "pressed" and value changes on its own in Options
2. Players can kill teammates with the knife when friendly fire is set to 0
3. Game crashed when client player types a server command in console
4. Game crashes when entering a MP game after dying in SP
5. Multiplayer map names will appear in debug text format when voting to change a multiplayer map during gameplay.
6. The game crashes while attempting to purchase an item, after pressing Buy button multiple times from the Buy Menu.
7. The game crashes when the user triggers an anomaly after the anomaly time is set to 0.
8. Purchased affordable weapons fail to be in the inventory when one item purchased exceeds the user's monetary amount.
9. The player will lose the weapon he has stored in his inventory as well as the equipped weapon when the equipped weapon is dropped in MP.
10. The host is able to pause the game during an MP game.
11. Players are able to duplicate other player names by using the "name" command in the console.
12. The user is unable to view a fly-by cutscene if their PDA is open while triggering the cutscene.
13. The user can speed up time with the * key on the numpad in SP
14. Players can damage and kill other teammates while friendly fire is set to 0.0
15. The starting weather in-game does not accurately reflect the starting weather set by the server host in multiplayer match
16. The corpse created by a user switching teams remains in the game when playing multiplayer team deathmatch or artifact hunt.
17. Options "show weapon" and "NPC identification" fail to function
18. The up and down function for the look feature are inverted through out the game.
19. The server will crash when the players vote to change maps, but don't select a map to change to.
20. Players will take no fall damage when friendly fire is set to 0 on the server
21. The player dies when trying to exit out of the skin menu back into gameplay
22. Death by an anomaly is not recorded as a negative frag when playing Team Deathmatch.
23. Game Crash when opening buy menu from certain spot in Artifact Hunt mode
24. The prompt for the buy menu and entry via pressing the spacebar appears when in spectator mode during any network game.
25. Professor Kruglov sometimes can't open the door to the mobile science lab
26. When player stands close to a wall and shoots grenade launcher, the grenade falls out of the map without damaging anyone.
27. Possibility of killing enemies through the roofs and walls
28. When killing Wolf before completing any of additional quests given from him, these quests doesn't change status from "Active Tasks" to "Failed Tasks" in PDA.
29. Problem with quest: "Kill gang leader" when piece of text in PDA is directing user to kill leader in Dark Valley. Quest is completed after kill this bandit on Garbage level.
30. Disappearing piece of scroll belt in Main Menu when the player changes resolution to 800x600
31. Anomalies were not appearing when turned on in server options menu.
32. Game crashed when creating a Team Deathmatch server with spectator on.
33. Problems with ‘Slug’ artifact.
34. Possibility to take the decoder through the Wall
35. Issue with cash in inventory on MP build
36. NPC called Seriy has 3 different names: Seriy, Gray and Grey.
37. Problem with price of weapon in inventory
38. Game crashed when vote for kicking a player ended
39. Rare game crash during multiplayer match, after players choose a team.
40. Exploit with update rate command
41. Wood in barrels is flickering, although there's no fire there.
42. Player can jump between 2 stalkers and table inside the bar and become stuck.
43. Two side quests from Sakharov have wrong description.
44. After playing in multiplayer mode and then starting single player game, Sidorovich has one of multiplayer nicks instead of his name.
45. Game crashed when player fight with pseudodogs on red forest.
46. The game crashes to a non-responsive state (task manager) when attempting to host multiplayer game a second time with an invalid CD-key.
47. On Win 2000 PCs, the Windows Desktop cursor has no functionality when minimizing the game (Alt+Tab).
48. The game will result in a soft crash when a player dies from radioactive poisoning, then immediately falls into the tunnel well that leads out of the Agroprom Underground level.
49. The arrow buttons remain depressed when clicked and dragged off the boxes, thus making the value increase or decrease indefinitely in the options menu of network games.
50. Game crashed during map rotation. This issue occurs several times while playing with maps (Vehicle station, Desolated Village and Deserted Factory)
51. Game crashes when entering an MP game after dying in SP
52. The Host will crash and all Clients will either return to the main menu, crash to the desktop, or the program will shut itself down and return the user to the desktop, when attempting to drop a player while users are In-Game
53. Users are able to pick up an opponent's grenade after it has been thrown and then use it themselves.
54. The players name switches to a random player's name with a _1 after it in multiplayer if no name is entered in the network games menu.
55. Players fail to be kicked, after unanimously voting to remove them, during network gameplay.
56. Player is unable to ban other player, everybody vote for, line "voting succeed" appears and nothing happens. Player that was supposed to be banned still can play and do whatever he wants on the server.
57. The starting weather in-game does not accurately reflect the starting weather set by the server host in multiplayer match
58. Saved game are over written when attempting a second save uses the first saved game's name followed by a "space" and any other word or number during single player campaign.
59. The artifact is unaffected by gravity when dropped during an artifact hunt game.
60. Players take no explosion damage when the friendly fire damage option is set to 0 in the server options of a team deathmatch game.
61. The game will crash, halting progression when transferring from Station to the Sarcophagus.
62. When player wants to reload a weapon, and start fast shooting, he can't do that because weapon continues reloading.
63. The game crashes when a player is killed immediately after they are re-spawned into the game.
64. The weapons fail to scroll when using the mouse wheel after all the grenades have been used during single player gameplay.
65. Minor text bugs.
66. Various balance issues in Singleplayer and Multiplayer.
67. Various known exploits/cheats.
68. Various other issues.

:lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I'll say this--the game runs much better now under Vista with the new patch. Less hitching and stuttering. I'm starting over, so I can enjoy the new stability.

Oh, they added an Nvidia logo to the opening now, too. :lol

Avalon

Chiggs said:
That will probably be fixed in the inevitable performance patch which will probably show up a month or two from now.

Hopefully. I'll keep playing without updating since I've made a lot of progress. I'll play on a harder difficulty mode and try to make sense of the story on the next playthrough. :p

Chiggs

Gold Member
Okay, holy shit. That little patch has now enabled me to run the game with much higher settings. If you have Vista, get the damn patch!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Christ I'm like 15 hours in and they release a patch that is incompatible with saves? Are you f*cking kidding me?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Schafer said:
Christ I'm like 15 hours in and they release a patch that is incompatible with saves? Are you f*cking kidding me?

I decided to bite the bullet and do it. Besides, with the way things were going, I wasn't getting one of the good endings.

Linkup

Schafer said:

I wonder, with all the stories I've read about people killing this guy and missing that item it may be best they just start over. Especially if you miss things up to the point you can't advance, though I don't think that is possible.

Avalon

Chiggs said:
I decided to bite the bullet and do it. Besides, with the way things were going, I wasn't getting one of the good endings.

Any in-game indicators that might reveal what ending you are heading towards... I've done some real shady things in order to survive. :(

OatmealMu

Avalon said:
So it doesn't matter how many friends I gun down in times of desperation?

Not that I know of. At the very least, the "best" ending depends on whether you complete a certain mission branch.

Avalon

OatmealMu said:
Not that I know of. At the very least, the "best" ending depends on whether you complete a certain mission branch.

Knowing that kind of sucks. Was hoping your overall morals might effect the ending at least a little bit.

OatmealMu

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed to find that out, too. You're essentially given zero clues as to what may or may not affect the endgame.

Ferrio

Banned
Don't really care for playing a single player FPS at this moment in time, is the multiplayer worth the buy? If so why?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ferrio said:
Don't really care for playing a single player FPS at this moment in time, is the multiplayer worth the buy? If so why?

Nope, not at all. The multiplayer is very weak, it's barebones and all the tactical gameplay from the single player is removed in favor of a more arcadey slant.

Well this is just ****ing great my tin case edition, or the Duke Nukem case as I like to call it, came yesterday and guess what I can't play it! When I get into big open areas my fps rate gets below 10 and since this ain't exactly a very closed envoirment FPS I'm screwed. How I love my ol' PC.

"Well this is just ****ing great my tin case edition, or the Duke Nukem case as I like to call it, came yesterday and guess what I can't play it! When I get into big open areas my fps rate gets below 10 and since this ain't exactly a very closed envoirment FPS I'm screwed. How I love my ol' PC."

I dunno what your specs are, but, judging from the posts in this thread: Switch to Static Lighting.

Zenith

Banned
the patch seems angled towards fixing multiplayer :/

Chiggs said:
I love this game; I love this game's atmosphere, but let's just call a spade a spade: The story sucks all sorts of shit.

The Brain Scorcher?
:lol Who named that shit?

And why the **** was it even near Chernobyl in the first place? Is this explained at all? The story is so incoherently told that I may have missed something.

It's still a charming game, though.

I'm having trouble following the story too, mainly because it occurs entirely in your PDA entries and what's more makes references to things that never happened. the "Marked One" makes frequent references to what NPCs you met said or did and I'm like "no, you didn't. I was there the whole time, he never said any of that".

as far as I can tell there was an incident where this object called the Monolith aka the Wishgiver impacted into Chernobyl and caused the meltdown. this objects actually grants wishes, and every time someone uses it the zone expands by several kilometers. the brain scorcher and everything where experiments by the russian gov in creating psychic weaponry. I don't know if the gov's experiments are related to the Monolith but the brain scorcher was expressly created to form a psychic barrier around Chernobyl to prevent people reaching the Monolith. and just now I got a PDA entry saying something about the Wishgiver being some kind of illusion to hide something.

oh and if you thought the early maps in Stalker were atmospheric, they are nothing compared to the last 2 maps. you can tell the devs spent way more time developing the quests here than on the others.
in Pripyat you meet up with a team of exosuit Stalkers who help lead the charge on Chernobyl. it's the best urban combat level I've ever played, and I've played every Tom Clancy/Delta Force game you can name. your team mates call out enemy positions, exchange battle cries and actually move like a proper squad rather than the standard stalker AI you see in any other missions. probably entirely scripted but totally worth it. and when you break through into Chernobyl you have a squadron of Hinds attacking you and the Monolith worshippers.

Teknopathetic said:
"Well this is just ****ing great my tin case edition, or the Duke Nukem case as I like to call it, came yesterday and guess what I can't play it! When I get into big open areas my fps rate gets below 10 and since this ain't exactly a very closed envoirment FPS I'm screwed. How I love my ol' PC."

I dunno what your specs are, but, judging from the posts in this thread: Switch to Static Lighting.

I can't even activate dynamic lightning.

Baker

Banned
I don't see anything in that patch list that is labeled "allows the user to load a quicksave."

I guess I'm waiting even longer to get back into the game.

Wollan

Turning the dynamic light off made my performance go through the roof. What the hell have they done coding that part?

tegdf said:
As defcon said, the patch erases all your saves according to other forums
Awesome.
Zenith said:
the patch seems angled towards fixing multiplayer :/
Yeah really. Does anyone even remotely care about multiplayer in this game? I tried it once. Standard CS-wannabe boringness. But to be fair it sure does need a whole lot of bugfixing. During my brief time with it the vote box wouldn't go away, even when switching server. Disappeared when the game crashed though.

Durante

Wollan said:
Turning the dynamic light off made my performance go through the roof. What the hell have they done coding that part?
Nothing wrong. As has been explained 50 times in this thread, it's just an incredibly demanding feature. Oblivion was planned to have it, but they took it out. Be happy that they give you the option of using it in Stalker. I'm sure it could be optimized somewhat, but it will still be out of reach for most current systems.

Draft

I think I've run into a bug, but maybe some of you found a way around it?

Spoilers for the location geographically north of The Bar.

On zoning in I found some Duty guys fighting bandits. Helped them out and they took me to their leader. Leader offers me a job. Wants a sniper in a nearby fort killed. I say OK. Little do I know that this fort is in fact the base of another faction called Freedom. So now I'm not so sure I want to kill this sniper. I talk to a few guards and they let me through to see the leader. After informing him about the Duty guys and their plan of attack, he asks me to help his soldiers wipe them out. Here's the bug: after I agree, they go red to me and start shooting.
I'd prefer to NOT wipe these guys out if I can help it. Anyone found a work around? Maybe increasing faction via the console or something?

Draft said:
I think I've run into a bug, but maybe some of you found a way around it?

Spoilers for the location geographically north of The Bar.

On zoning in I found some Duty guys fighting bandits. Helped them out and they took me to their leader. Leader offers me a job. Wants a sniper in a nearby fort killed. I say OK. Little do I know that this fort is in fact the base of another faction called Freedom. So now I'm not so sure I want to kill this sniper. I talk to a few guards and they let me through to see the leader. After informing him about the Duty guys and their plan of attack, he asks me to help his soldiers wipe them out. Here's the bug: after I agree, they go red to me and start shooting.
I'd prefer to NOT wipe these guys out if I can help it. Anyone found a work around? Maybe increasing faction via the console or something?

That happened to me, they killed me, and I reloaded my save, then they remained neutral to be but they someone spotted the duty guys, the WHOLE base then went to kill them, they killed them all cept one who was injured. Since I like being neutral, I gave the injured one a first aid pack, he gets up then gets shot in the head :lol

Ok this might sound dumb but after spending a while cleaning a lot of space on my hard-drive and defragmenting it the game runs so much smoother. So far amazing imersive game, the graphics are far from wowing me as the old previews did but they have some very nice touches here and there.

Chiggs

Gold Member
People that say that the patch is just multiplayer focused are wrong. From HardOCP:

There are some VERY VERY major changes not listed in the log there.

1. The trader/s now sell some nice things. THe first trader has a Merc and Stalker suit, he also sells guns like the Viper, plus more ammo (for shotguns, etc). Plus when you trade him something it shows up in his stock. Also the prices for things have went up, so overall the "abudance" of money issue is going down.

This means you actually have a reason/use for your money now.

2. The AI has been changed quite a bit. They no longer see you easily and you can hide a LOT better, so stealth is now a vital choice you can make, this leads to you not having to fight every person you come across.

3. The damage model has been tweaked, in the factory the bandits there take like 2-3 bullets to drop now, instead of 8+ (non headshots).

4. Your suits degrade now, which in turn also reduces their +stats.

I can personally attest to the first three. And if you you're using Vista, I highly recommend getting this patch. For some reason, my performance is better.

painey

I messed around with the options and finally got it to a more respectable speed, but the problem is it is just so radical in change that the game becomes quite painful to play. I start in the room with the guy who sets me my first task and im 17 FPS, i go up the stairs and hit 160 FPS, step outside and flutuate from 15FPS to 35FPS. Looking at the sky gives me 180FPS. Is there any way to lock a maximum.. at say 24FPS? I simply cant go on with such wild frame rate jumps as it hurts my head.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Sweet. I've logged about 20 hours into the game, and they want me to START OVER?

Seriously, what the f*ck were they thinking. No patch for me.

warcrow

Banned
Hi guys,

I finally had time to install and play the game for a few hours last night. I'm here to give my initial impression.

When the game began to install (Vista 32-bit BTW), I started to think of some of the feedback I'd heard from friends, read on messageboards, and heard on podcasts. I'd heard everything from "fantastic" to "ho-hum". I had also heard the terms RPG, FPS, and "we're not sure what genre this one falls in to" as well. People just didnt know what to make of this game. So, I want sure what to expect or what adventure I was about to embark on. One thing for sure--I was excited. I've been waiting for STALKER for years. I'd purposely dodged previews and most reviews because I wanted to know very little about the details of the gameplay. I wanted to experince it for myself for the first time.

Once the installation was complete, I launched the game expecting it to immediately crash to desktop since I had heard of some Vista nightmares. What luck! I experienced nothing of the sort. I immediately jumped into the Video Options and began to tweak away as I have done with so many other PC games. I toggled graphical features, adjusted sliders, and weighed many options plowing through the "advanced features". Once I was done, I created a new game and was off.

After watching the opening movie (both CG and in-game) -- I was already impressed with the atmosphere this game was creating for me. I couldnt wait to be set free! I wanted to step outside and see what this world was like first-hand. As some old guy with broken english informed me of some quest I needed to complete for him in some underground bunker, my mind wandered to the outdoors. What would it look and sound like?

As soon as the conversation finished, I whipped around and my frame rate dropped significantly. Ugh. I jumped back into the options menu and spent the next 30 minutes adjusting settings, rebooting, and turning off graphic features. The two things I absolutely could not change were the resolution (my LCD runs natively @ 1680X1050, and the Dynamic Lighting--I refused to use the old DX8 static lighting) and lighiting. After I found the balance between a rock solid smooth frame rate and great visuals--I was off! I climbed the stairs that lead me outside and it hit me in the face like a brick. It was a beautiful, dusty, post-apocolyptic world. I looked around admiring the dry dead world that was begging me to explore it. I turned slight to the right and a sudden but gentle breeze pressed into my face carrying leaves with it, bouncing off of my chest. I walked into the wind heading for the nearby camp. I was greeted by another man who spoke broken english. He told me a little bit of "The Zone", the camp I was heading into, and where I could find the man I was looking for. His chatter was interupted by distant laugher. Over his shoulder I could see several men sitting around a camp fire, talking (in russian?), and laughing once again. One strummed a guitar that lie under his arm--singing to the tune. Everything else was silent. It was just the wind, the guitar, and some occassional chatter that occupied my immediate world.

I was pulled in. This was it. It was what I wanted, expected, and welcomed. I smiled and knew I was in for a gaming treat. I cannot wait to play this game some more and see what it has to offer. I'm sorry if this comes across as cheesy (I know it probably does), but there are few games for me that are successful in creating the mood it sets out to create.

Chiggs

Gold Member
warcrow said:
I was pulled in. This was it. It was what I wanted, expected, and welcomed. I smiled and knew I was in for a gaming treat. I cannot wait to play this game some more and see what it has to offer. I'm sorry if this comes across as cheesy (I know it probably does), but there are few games for me that are successful in creating the mood it sets out to create.

Glad you're enjoying it. I know I am.

P.S. Grab the patch before you get too far in the game (your previous saves won't be compatible).

So hands up who thought
that you were Strelok as soon as you found ghost and realised the photo was of him? Oh and I just met the doctor, didn't get a chance to tell him I can't remember who the hell I am before he buggered off!

warcrow

Banned
Chiggs said:
Glad you're enjoying it. I know I am.

P.S. Grab the patch before you get too far in the game (your previous saves won't be compatible).

I have experienced any issues though--is it really that neccissary?

Chiggs

Gold Member
warcrow said:
I have experienced any issues though--is it really that neccissary?

I guess it's really not necessary. The damage modelling is better, and NPCs have better items to trade.

warcrow

Banned
Chiggs said:
I guess it's really not necessary. The damage modelling is better, and NPCs have better items to trade.

I've not had a single crash just yet--I'm torn. I'm pretty anal about patching games too. But, I'm only a few more hours in now, so it probably wouldnt hurt to patch it. I wonder if there is any unmentioned performance enhancements.

Chiggs

Gold Member
warcrow said:
I've not had a single crash just yet--I'm torn. I'm pretty anal about patching games too. But, I'm only a few more hours in now, so it probably wouldnt hurt to patch it. I wonder if there is any unmentioned performance enhancements.

On the last page, I mentioned that I saw less hitching and stuttering. I was also able to run settings at a higher level.

Magicked

warcrow said:

From reading above, it sounds like there are... especially with Vista (which you are using, correct?).

Edit: Beat.

Zenith

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
So hands up who thought
that you were Strelok as soon as you found ghost and realised the photo was of him? Oh and I just met the doctor, didn't get a chance to tell him I can't remember who the hell I am before he buggered off!

I realised you were him when you had the flashback of Ghost and Fang standing over you

wtf was up with the ending? all of you who say you got the "worst" ending missed some obvious stuff.
worst endings are when you go to the Wishgiver and make a wish. what wish you make (and ending you get) is dependent on some totally unknown variables. I had obviously done something right because my wish was "I wish the zone would disappear" and everything was happy ever after..........except Strelok lost his eyesight.

but the "real ending" where you go on to the secret lab and Chernobyl exterior was fubared. they come up with that stupid group consciousness thing out of nowhere. and then make you go on the most boring repetitive level since Enter the Matrix's transformer field.

Solo

Ive decided Im too far in to patch. Thatll have to wait for my second playthrough. I aslo think I just spoiled the game by reading the previous spoiler text. Oh well, its hardly unpredictable, and Im not playing this game for story anyways.

Top Bottom