• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

madmook

I also picked it up for $30 last week at Circuit City, and I'm running it on a weaker laptop than yours. Besides the fact that I can't crank the graphics up to max, its been a smooth ride. I'm running XP home w/ SP2, and I've not had any glitches or crashes of any sort. Definitely a worthy purchase.

The M.O.B

I havent ran into any bugs really since the ones when I first started. There is the ocassional ragdoll mess up and disapper/reappering bodies,but so far its been great.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just finished it, unpatched. I'm pretty sure I got the "best" ending.

Real spoilers here folks, highlight at your own risk.

I killed the Wishgranter. Found the C-Conciousness project, rejected them. Went through the big teleport gauntlet (that was awesome!) and killed the scientists hooked up to the C-Conciousness. Ending was me either getting clear of the zone or reverting it to normal, something to that effect. It was all happy and green and whatnot so whatever it was, it was good. :lol

Awesome game. Definitely going on my list of true greats. I'll definitely be playing through again, probably after the next patch comes out.

the weight limit is quite fair and realistic if you ask me. what is it, 60kg or something? that's like over half your average body weight. you try hauling around 2 big guns, 100+ ammo for each along with some medkits and shit. i'm not touching the weight limit. think of it as another challenge. : )

Zenith

Banned
Went through the big teleport gauntlet (that was awesome!)

you really thought that was awesome? I thought it was a total cop-out. they couldn't think of a decent boss battle so they just tossed loads of soldiers at you. it was so reptitive. and the portals were just there to show off the Chernobyl map they hadn't been able to work into the game.

Does anyone know of a widescreen fix for the patched game?

/edit: And there's supposed to be some better armor in the starting area as well right? Can't find the post that mentioned it though. Anyone remember?

Slo

I'm sure this has been asked before but can someone please summarize the conditions for getting the various endings with as few spoilers as possible? I'm only just arrived at The Bar. Do I need to make sure not to fail certain missions or anything?

LazyLoki

Fallout-NL said:

/edit: And there's supposed to be some better armor in the starting area as well right? Can't find the post that mentioned it though. Anyone remember?

climb the ladder behind wolf and get up on the roof. run across the roof and jump onto the next building. through a hole at the far side you can see a crate. shoot it and you can pick up a "stalker suit"

hope that was detailed enough, i'm at work right now :D

Solo

Fallout-NL said:

Its one of mine. Search my posts in this thread.

EDIT: Found it for you.

Solo said:
Just got to the Agroprom area, about to help the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.S. defend against the military. What a great game.

By the way, you can get a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. suit in the very first village in the game.
Climb up the ladder beside that Wolf dude, get on the roof of that building, and run and jump onto the roof of the next lower building. When on that roof, simply walk around to the far end. You'll see a little section of the roof missing, and a crate inside. Shoot the crate, and grab the suit.

Prime crotch said:
Anyway to enter the Yantar lab without getting affected by the psi-contamination?

you must have first done the first lab mission, then u do the quests for the ecologists. You'll get an item that protects you

Solo said:
Its one of mine. Search my posts in this thread.

EDIT: Found it for you.

LazyLoki said:
climb the ladder behind wolf and get up on the roof. run across the roof and jump onto the next building. through a hole at the far side you can see a crate. shoot it and you can pick up a "stalker suit"

hope that was detailed enough, i'm at work right now :D

Ah great, thanks guys.

Westonian

It's not a STALKER suit after the patch, it's a less awesome Merc suit now. Still leagues better than what you start out with though.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I finally completed the Kill the Bloodsuckers mission in that creepy abandoned village...at night during a thunderstorm. Spoookkkyyyyyyy....

Anyway, when I was talking to the Murk guy about the whereabouts of my reward, these fatass mutant boars game out of nowhere and killed him just like that.

Decided to start over. Hadn't gotten very far anyway. Sure, I had played for like 5 hours but I hadn't actually gotten anywhere, was basically still in the first zone. Now that I'm more accustomed to the game I got to Garbage in like 30 minutes.

And I don't know if it's the patch but things were different this time. Stalkers and bandits would always clash at the car park, producing heaps of bodies. Now there was nothing. And the targets for assassination missions were always like 5 steps away. The miltary blockade at the bridge ultimately played out the same though. I decided to bribe my way through, but before doing so I had to go dump some stuff at the trader. When I came back the military were in a firefight with a couple of bandits. And for some reason the military dudes wanted to kill me as well. Just like before.

Firefights in this game are really cool though. I climbed into the...whatever building is next to the blockade and took potshots at a dude from an elevated position. The AI bugged out a bit though cause he just stood there while I shot him to death. Later I saw two bandits strolling about near the bridge. I thought of trying to go around them, but then a "Flesh" mauled one of them. While the remaining bandit was busy with the mutant I ran up behind him and blasted his face a bit with my shotgun. It's cool how you can take advantage of your surroundings like this.

Chiggs

Gold Member
VibratingDonkey said:
And I don't know if it's the patch but things were different this time. Stalkers and bandits would always clash at the car park, producing heaps of bodies. Now there was nothing.

Interesting. I'll agree that the patch really does change the game (and only 3 megs!); however, my experiences have been different than yours. Mercs, bandits and Stalkers are always murdering each other at the car park. Nonstop. And then you have the dickhead military sticking their dicks in everyone's business. In fact, I kind of roll my eyes whenever I hear screaming and shooting in that general direction. What the hell is there that is worth fighting for?!!!

I think I'll avoid Cordon from now on.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Fallout-NL said:
Is that armor degrading post patch really annoying, or just slightly annoying?

Slightly annoying. Cheap armor degrades quickly, whereas good armor doesn't. That said, I think the patch greatly enhances the game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Prime crotch said:
I can't avoid the Psi-contamination on Yantar. I've got a SEVA suit and the suit the ecologists use but still I get contaminated.

You've got to do the mission for the ecologist in the bunker.

Chiggs said:
You've got to do the mission for the ecologist in the bunker.
Which one? The artifact? Or the collecting Snork's hand? Also why is my Artifact coun still null? I got plenty of Artifacts on my belt.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Prime crotch said:
Which one? The artifact? Or the collecting Snork's hand? Also why is my Artifact coun still null? I got plenty of Artifacts on my belt.

Just to make sure we're on the same page: You have to talk to the guy behind the counter with the hamster in the wheel. Still with me? Okay. He'll ask you to assist his partner with a task which involves taking radiation samples. If you successfully complete this task, or if you fail it, you will receive a device that blocks the psi-transmissions. This will allow you to access that area, which also includes the X-16 lab.

Chiggs said:
Just to make sure we're on the same page: You have to talk to the guy behind the counter with the hamster in the wheel. Still with me? Okay. He'll ask you to assist his partner with a task which involves taking radiation samples. If you successfully complete this task, or if you fail it, you will receive a device that blocks the psi-transmissions. This will allow you to access that area, which also includes the X-16 lab.
eh? He never told me anything like that. I asked him for a job and he gave me a few choices, artifact hunt, get a suit or get a piece of a monster.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Prime crotch said:
eh? He never told me anything like that. I asked him for a job and he gave me a few choices, artifact hunt, get a suit or get a piece of a monster.

Weird. When you first entered the bunker, did you see another guy walking around in an orange suit? You need to find him and talk to him.

Are you really sure that never happened?

Chiggs said:
Weird. When you first entered the bunker, did you see another guy walking around in an orange suit? You need to find him and talk to him.

Are you really sure that never happened?
I saved that guy on the suit, freaking pansy I tell ya, then he told me to talk to the professor behind the counter, but I never got any mission to go out with pany-pants again.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Prime crotch said:
I saved that guy on the suit, freaking pansy I tell ya, then he told me to talk to the professor behind the counter, but I never got any mission to go out with pany-pants again.

Okay, that's strange. Is he still around there somewhere? Have you tried all dialogue options with the hamster guy? Anyone else wanna chime in here?

Sinatar

After you rescue the scientist, you talk to the bunker guy, he gives you the mission automatically when he gives you the green suit as a reward. You then talk to the guy you rescued and you should get the next mission started.

PeteJ

Prime, have you done X18? Sounds like you've done much the same as me, going into Yantar before you are really supposed to!

PeteJ said:
Prime, have you done X18? Sounds like you've done much the same as me, going into Yantar before you are really supposed to!
That's the first mission the barkeeper gives ya? No then, I was getting some side-quests done, maybe that's the problem.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Borys said:
A very informative S.T.A.L.K.E.R. tweak guide is up:

http://www.tweakguides.com/STALKER_1.html

Global Illumination toggle, eh.

r2_gi [on,off] - Disabled by default, this setting appears to control whether Global Illumination is used, a form of lighting which is more realistic, in that lit surfaces then indirectly reflect on and light up other surfaces. There are a range of global illumination parameters starting with r2_gi_ you can use to alter the effect if it is enabled, such as r2_gi_refl which controls the reflectivity of lit surfaces

I'll save that one for the ol' Geforce 9 ;b

Chiggs

Gold Member
EviLore said:
I'll save that one for the ol' Geforce 9 ;b

Yeah, I think Stalker's visuals will age gracefully. :)

On another note, I can't wait for the mod community to get in full-swing. According to some of the fan forums, there are few monsters in the code that were left out of the full game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Prime crotch said:
btw what is wrong with Army's Wharehouse area? It seems the game craps itself on that level.

I think it's the insane amount of textures and geometry in that area (one of the biggest in the game, I think). I had to lower the settings in order for the game not to sporadically crash.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Word of warning for Freedom Mission do-ers!!

If you already turned in the Military Healing armor you got from the slaughtered stalker area before entering X16 in Yantar (its on the only mercs body whos near an APC) DO NOT do the healing armor mission for Freedom.

I forget who else wanted this armor, but you can only turn it in to one person. Someone else asks for it as well (its not the Ghost armor).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Pimpbaa said:
The author of the article calling the anisotropic filter slider broken (which is not) makes me wonder if he really is all that knowledgeable about any of the settings in the game. Wouldn't be the first time I seen questionable tweaks from tweak guides.

He's right about vsync being broken, at least. I have to have it enabled in my nvidia control panel; the option in the stalker settings has no effect.

Maybe the AF setting is broken on certain video cards only? *shrug*

Pimpbaa

EviLore said:
He's right about vsync being broken, at least. I have to have it enabled in my nvidia control panel; the option in the stalker settings has no effect.

Maybe the AF setting is broken on certain video cards only? *shrug*

Never messed with the vsync myself. But anisotropic filtering was neither broken on my 7600GT or my new 8800GTS. Must have been something wrong with his drivers or his twiddling with the config file may have borked the setting. The textures look awful with it completely off.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Prime crotch said:
Gametrailers review is an example of how to miss the point with STALKER although they're right that the map system is a bitch.

I just watched this.

Is the gunplay still like they described in the review? Enemies take a ton of bullets to bring down, etc? Other than that, the review was really off, and also proof positive that people truly don't want better AI. "The AI flanked me and pulled out every trick in the book! I had to quicksave every two minutes so I didn't die!"

STFU.

Amzin

Ok, a gameplay question: When it says an Anomaly makes xxxx artifact, what does that mean exactly? Is there some way to clear out an anomaly or something? Or do I wait the week or so and come back to an area and just hunt around for artifact leftovers?

Sinatar

Amzin said:
Ok, a gameplay question: When it says an Anomaly makes xxxx artifact, what does that mean exactly? Is there some way to clear out an anomaly or something? Or do I wait the week or so and come back to an area and just hunt around for artifact leftovers?

Neither, it's just a story device to explain their presence in the game. You do find them around areas where anomolies are, but they aren't dynamically created or anything like that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Schafer said:
Neither, it's just a story device to explain their presence in the game. You do find them around areas where anomolies are, but they aren't dynamically created or anything like that.
I disagree. I cleaned an entire area of artifacts, and when I came back some days later I found a couple of new ones wich incidentally were pretty rare (and totally rad)

Amzin

Bah. I can totally see one, I think, but it's completely blocked off by a vortex. I've already died once trying to ninja past it. Guess I'll come back to it later, only played the game for like 15 minutes so far after all. >.>

Also:
Chiggs said:
Performance boost alert--minimal image quality loss!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-34287187&pid=540331

I tried it out and got a massive increase in FPS. You may want to tweak the settings a bit, but it's worth trying. I went back to my old settings because I'm an eye candy whore.

I did this and it worked fantastically. My own settings were on low with static lighting, I copied that in and the fps is about the same but WAY the hell prettier. FPS isn't 60, but it's playable in the beginning area so far.

Amzin

Hmm. Played about an hour and a half so far, framerate held up fine, but it just took a nosedive to about half a frame per second. I saved and closed it, hopefully it'll be cool again when I play it later.

I just finished talking to Fox, hunting down the "sales associate" and grabbing the mail jacket.

If I read the rest of this thread right, an artifact that says +# to Radiation in red makes you take radiation damage, right?

Top Bottom