• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

EekTheKat

Interesting - there's a broken RE4 over the shoulder cam in the game right now. It's a lot playable than the cam_2 trick yet it's still too bugged to be fully useful.

to clarify - guns properly track in this camera mode, but you can't talk to NPC's, and zoom is broken

The game is pretty cool when played as an RE4 over the shoulder experience though :lol

Dot50Cal

Banned
chespace said:
Anyway, I'm still not that far in the game. Still trying to look for that damn family rifle near the crashed chopper (where the fvck is the tunnel?)

Its inside the red crate in the tunnel right next to the downed chopper. There is a dead body down there (Gordon Freeman!!) so it should show up on your radar. Its not a rifle, but a shotgun.

EekTheKat said:
Interesting - there's a broken RE4 over the shoulder cam in the game right now. It's a lot playable than the cam_2 trick yet it's still too bugged to be fully useful.

So whats the command? Cmon, you cant just drop that and not say how to enable it!

Solo

Prime crotch said:
Same problem as me you have to do the main sotyr mission of going to the lab first. Then you'll have a new mission to get an item that will block that contamination.

Ok, thanks. Oh S.T.A.L.K.E.R., you so crazy/broken at times :lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
chespace said:
Anyway, I'm still not that far in the game. Still trying to look for that damn family rifle near the crashed chopper (where the fvck is the tunnel?)
Dot50Cal's explanation should be enough, but just in case here are a couple of screens.

84036164hc7.jpg

15209599qr9.jpg

Chiggs said:
Speaking of poltergeists, please tell me I'm not the only one who has noticed poltergeists flying around outside now.
Looks like they only appear after your X16 visit. I've also noticed that a couple of shotty hits work wonders with them, much better than losing your time with bullets.

Linkup

EekTheKat said:

to clarify - guns properly track in this camera mode, but you can't talk to NPC's, and zoom is broken

The game is pretty cool when played as an RE4 over the shoulder experience though :lol

Dot50Cal said:
So whats the command? Cmon, you cant just drop that and not say how to enable it!

I want to try too. What exactly needs to be done?

Confidence Man said:
Someone got vehicles working. Looks like they have to tweak the damage though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=792YKOV_DsU
:lol I hope there are some sweet mods in the works and that dynamic lighting looks great, where's my performance patch?

EekTheKat

Sorry, kind of fell asleep last night -

add this to your shortcut -

"C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -nointro -noprefetch -psp

the -psp part triggers it. If you have the camera tweaks from earlier (bind cam_1 kF1, etc..etc..) you can use it to pop in and out of the OTS view back into first person.

Just a heads up though - Zoom doesn't work very well (crosshairs vanish while zooming), you can't interact with NPC's while in 3rd person, nightvision doesn't work and the flashlight isn't tracking the crosshairs properly.

http://img463.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stalker3rdpersoneq3.jpg

Dot50Cal

Banned
Wow, LOVE the RE4 style camera. All the animations and everything are done!

Just wish zooming and flashlight worked properly. Hopefully someone can fix that because the game looks great with it on. Cant wait for vehicles either ;D

That is pretty cool. I noticed when in OTS view the low crouch causes your crosshair to automatically point towards the nearest stalker. It's basically like a crude autoaim or something.

EekTheKat

I kind of wish they had kept on developing this mode too - it's pretty interesting to play through - especially on a wide screen monitor.

There's actually a working auto-targetting feature while in the OTS camera view, but due to the headshot-centric nature of this game though, the auto targetting is pretty much only good for wasting ammo.

I found a few commented out dev notes in some files regarding hud offsets, going to try + play around with that + see if zoom can possibly work in that mode.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Funky Papa said:

Whoa, where did you get that shottie?

Thanks and I found the stupid rifle. :p

Also, what camera tweaks are you guys playing with besides the OTS view?

Dot50Cal

Banned
chespace said:
Whoa, where did you get that shottie?

Thanks and I found the stupid rifle. :p

Scientists sell it in Yantar, theres another one there on some soldier zombies sometimes. Its the Spaz 12

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Actually I didn't buy it. Can't remember, but I think I nailed some git from behind and I found it looking at his belongings. It is sweet. Lots of power (much more than the double barreled one), five shots, quick action... put some buckshots in it and it is the best thing ever to hunt some mutant prairie dogs :D It also rocks for zombies, they are so slow and dumb you can approach them from behind to nearly point blank, and then BOOM-HEADSHOT. Could stab them anyway, but blowing their heads off is much more satisfying :)

This reminds me that I have to go back to Yantar, but there's some stupid bug that crashed the game everytime a Duty soldier killed a very certain zombie. I had to run out of the area after finishing my missions there to continue. I hope everything is fine now, there's a lot of cool crap over there I don't want to miss.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Whoa, that third person mode is TITS. Too bad I don't think we'll ever see a sequel.

Damn, I have yet to finish the game and I'm already thinking about a second part.

chespace

Dot50Cal said:
Funky, I had the same crash there. I believe it was when a Duty guy fought with a Snork.

A short video showing the RE4 video (widescreen is at default, which is zoomed in -- still waiting for proper widescreen fix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waZ1wIKtE7A

Wow, looks awesome. Needs to be tweaked of course.

So what other camera tweaks are you guys using?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Funky Papa said:
Whoa, that third person mode is TITS. Too bad I don't think we'll ever see a sequel.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. Too bad they didn't have more time to finish it.

:lol

EekTheKat

chespace said:
Wow, looks awesome. Needs to be tweaked of course.

So what other camera tweaks are you guys using?

Add this in your user.ltx

bind cam_1 kF1
bind cam_2 kF2
bind cam_3 kF3

This actually works pretty well with the OTS view option, since it'll let you change camera views on the fly.

F1 puts you back into first person view, F2 puts you in the OTS view, F3 puts you in a World of Warcraft type pan the camera around yourself

The F2 and F3 functions are nice for screenshots, and to get a good look at your character

chespace

EekTheKat said:
Add this in your user.ltx

bind cam_1 kF1
bind cam_2 kF2
bind cam_3 kF3

This actually works pretty well with the OTS view option, since it'll let you change camera views on the fly.

F1 puts you back into first person view, F2 puts you in the OTS view, F3 puts you in a World of Warcraft type pan the camera around yourself

The F2 and F3 functions are nice for screenshots, and to get a good look at your character

:eek: can't wait to play this tonight after the wife is sleepy.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Che, http://toca.game-editing.net/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=103

Allows Widescreen to be properly displayed until GSC gets a fix out (confirmed they are working on it).

I use 120 / 0.75 for my 16:9 1280x720 resolution, looks ace.

You can close the app once you activate it (and should, since like other people I have some commands bound to f1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Quick compare:

Here is 4:3 in the game
u36D0k.jpg

Here is 16:9 in the game
1KXkP7.jpg

Here is fixed 16:9 in the game
5ghTya.jpg

As you can see its very zoomed in when compared to 4:3. To combat this I set it so the height matches the 4:3 shot, and also ends up giving the sides more view.

16:9 fixed, with 4:3 in the center. Perfect match.
egxh1I.jpg
[/img]

KTallguy

Banned
chespace said:
:eek: can't wait to play this tonight after the wife is sleepy.

Nice.

You all just pushed me over the edge to buy this.
I'm thinking I'll just get it from a store, because online shipping will just bump it back to being expensive anyway. Unless someone knows a deal ? :)

Dot50Cal

Banned
Solo said:
This year? Its my favorite since Half-Life 2 :)

Same, In a way it reminds me of Vampire Bloodlines. Great story but marred by technical faults. But damn I love this game! I havent been so into a story in a game since...Well Bloodlines to be honest :lol

jda1977

Well thats it I guess I am of to go and get it as well. I am picking my new comp out later this afternoon. How well is it running on vista, 6600, asus 8800 320mbgts, 2 gigs ram...? I know it was having some problems early on with the 8800 series,]...

chespace

Definitely my favorite PC shooter since... I don't even remember what.

Since Operation Flashpoint I guess.

Those of you who know me know the impact of these words. :D

chespace

Dot50Cal said:
Che, http://toca.game-editing.net/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=103

Allows Widescreen to be properly displayed until GSC gets a fix out (confirmed they are working on it).

I use 120 / 0.75 for my 16:9 1280x720 resolution, looks ace.

You can close the app once you activate it (and should, since like other people I have some commands bound to f1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Quick compare:

Here is 4:3 in the game
u36D0k.jpg

1KXkP7.jpg

Here is fixed 16:9 in the game
5ghTya.jpg

As you can see its very zoomed in when compared to 4:3. To combat this I set it so the height matches the 4:3 shot, and also ends up giving the sides more view.

egxh1I.jpg
[/img]

That looks amazing! Do you have an easy walkthrough as to how to do this? I think my laptop is widescreen (Toshiba Satellite M65) so I'd love to be able to do this.

Thanks.

EekTheKat

It's pretty scary how big the scope of the game is - there are references in the game files to areas and factions they never completed on top of what's already there.

They REALLY aimed absurdly high when they were making this game - it's ashame that so much of it had to be cut out.

Hopefully if there's no full fledged sequel in the works, they'll release an expansion and/or content packs in the future. It seems like the devs are actively still working on patches for this game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
EekTheKat said:
Hopefully if there's no full fledged sequel in the works, they'll release an expansion and/or content packs in the future.

I'm willing to bet we'll see this. What's the deal with those factions you were talking about?

Solo

Just beat X18 with the ghosts and shit - WOW. Such a great experience. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is synonymous with atmosphere. Its dripping in it. So great!

EekTheKat

Chiggs said:
I'm willing to bet we'll see this. What's the deal with those factions you were talking about?

Looking through it again, it's probably not much, I'm probably not even looking in the right area for this kind of stuff.

If I had to guess, STALKER was originally going to be a whole lot more RPG-ish than it is now. Either that or the devs chose some very interesting names to put into this file.

Especially I think since the file in reference
alife.ltx
appears to be out of date, since not a whole lot of info in it actually appears in the final game.

[USA_Lab]
name = "USA Research Laboratories" ; organization public name
discoveries = discovery_magnet,discovery_magnetic_field,discovery_electro_magnetic_force ; discoveries can be discovered
join_probability = 0.2 ; a probability to join zone investigations
left_probability = 0.2 ; a probability to left zone investigations
trader_rank = 1

Chiggs

Gold Member
^^^^^^^

Eeeeeeeeinnnterresting.

Variable said:
Does anyone know where I can get night vision goggles in the game?

You need to get a suit that has them included, then press "n."

Dot50Cal

Banned
chespace said:
That looks amazing! Do you have an easy walkthrough as to how to do this? I think my laptop is widescreen (Toshiba Satellite M65) so I'd love to be able to do this.

Thanks.

Sure :) First you need to figure out if your laptop is 16:9, or 16:10.

16:9 = 1280x720, 1920x1080
16:10 = 1280x800, 1920x1200
etc

Download the application here - http://toca.game-editing.net/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=103

Open the application and set it to the proper game version. If you have a 16:9 display you want to make the top number (FOV) 120. If you have a 16:10 display you want to make it 115 FOV. Leave the Aspect Ratio setting on 0.75.

Now with this application running in the background, open STALKER and load a save. When in the game, you can toggle the fix by pressing F1 or F2. You need only do this once, then Ctrl+Alt+Del out of stalker, close the app and play with the fixed view.

Unfortunately you have to do this every time you start the game. You dont have to close the app, but since pressing F3 or F4 will mess up the ratio's its best to close it after you enable it.

Hope that help ;D

Edit: Toshiba Satellite M65 - Aspect Ratio is 16:10, so you want to make the FOV 115.

Variable said:
Does anyone know where I can get night vision goggles in the game?

They are on certain suits. Press your NVG key to see if the suit you have has them :)

Theres two kinds as far as I know. Green, which blurs your view a bit, and purple which doesn't blur at all. Purple is on the high end suits.

Pimpbaa

A little about the english translation according to a friend of mine:

It's far from perfect, but still a great game, especially if you are lucky enough to speak Russian and play the Russian version. I bought the US version, briefly checked it out, but waited to play the game until I could download the Russian version. The game is quite a bit more immersive when you can understand all the Russian background chatter, a lot of which is actually quite funny and poignant. Plus, they ended up grossly mistranslating a lot of the dialogue and story elements. It makes a whole lot more sense in the Russian version. Makes me feel sorry for all the non-Russian speakers who played it.

Kinda sucks that the english translation blows so much :/

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hmm...I can't seem to the get the "Find Guide" quest, despite having completed X-16. Did I miss something. I saw Ghost's corpse, and I do have the Brain Scorcher mission, though.

chespace

Dot50Cal said:
1KXkP7.jpg

Okay, I am running with FOV 115 now and i can't seem to get an OTS view. Just a standard 3rd person view. What am I doing wrong?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Oh, for that you need to add -psp in the command line.

IE:

"D:\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -nointro -ss_tga -noprefetch -psp

-nointro lets you skip the intro movies
-ss_tga takes a TGA (uncompressed) screenshot rather than the default lossy jpg
-noprefetch helps loading, and has lessened hitches for me

When your in the game you'll want to bind 3 camera controls. Bring down the console ( ~ ) and type:

bind cam_1 kF5
bind cam_2 kF6
bind cam_3 kF7

(make sure you have the letter k before the key you want bound)

Cam1 = FPV
Cam2 = OTS
Cam3 = 3rd person

If you have -psp in the command line it will automatically use the OTS view, but you can alternate between the two. Some bugs with the OTS view are:

Flashlight only displays one way, the way you were facing when the camera changed

When throwing bolts or grenades with alt fire the power indicator is missing

Zooming in doesnt produce iron sights, binocs dont work nor scopes.
psp gives you the OTS view.

Chiggs said:
Hmm...I can't seem to the get the "Find Guide" quest, despite having completed X-16. Did I miss something. I saw
Ghost's corpse
, and I do have the
Brain Scorcher
mission, though.

DUDE, SPOILERS, MARK THEM!

Did you have the "Find what happened to Ghost" quest? You find ghosts corpse, and when you examine him you get another quest to meet the guide in the first area of the game. After you meet him he tells you to go to Streeloks hideout (underground of Agroprom). From there you can figure out the rest.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dot50Cal said:
Did you have the "Find what happened to Ghost" quest? You find ghosts corpse, and when you examine him you get another quest to meet the guide in the first area of the game. After you meet him he tells you to go to Streeloks hideout (underground of Agroprom). From there you can figure out the rest.

Yeah, I completed that quest, but I never got that mission. Shit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
HOLY RANDOMNESS BATMAN!

So I am in the Freedom base area and
some Duty members are planning an assault from a nearby barn. The idea is to blow a hole on the wall and penetrate, but they need to take out a sniper first. Given that I have no affiliation I say yes, I walk into the base, and start goofing around. I see the Freedom leader and I think "hey, what if I play both sides?" and tell them that there's a "small" Duty platoon ready to take out the base (lie, I guess they were ten or so, fully armed with powered exoesqueletons from hell). So they dispatch a squad of dudes with HK rifles and regular fatigues and tell me to help them killing the Duty platoon. I say yes, and as soon as they start running, I pussy out and let them do the fight. It is not necessary to say that they got owned big time. Even better, during the firing, someone took out the sniper, giving me the mission. Awesome.

Then, I save, and go back to the barn to ask for my reward. They pay me for killing the sniper (I didn't, that was someone else) and the remaining six or so Duty soldiers launch an assault to the Freedom base. They break into the camp, pwn everyone on sight and kill the Freedom leader before the remaining troopers go back to the barn to have some marshmallows or whatever. That was bad, because I was hoping they would get killed during the assault, but they didn't, and I couldn't take them out to pick up my reward for doing so because:

a) the Freedom leader was dead. He couldn't pay me ('doh)
b) killing the Duty soldiers would have made me an enemy of Duty, and I don't want that

Anyway, I reload my save after I pick up my reward for "killing" the sniper and I watch them charge against the Freedom base. They run to the wall, activate an explosive charge and enter killing Freedom dudes left and right. Then, the survivors come back to the barn to celebrate. Crap. I reload again. Same shit. Once again. They get killed, but not before taking our the leader. Crap. I try to reload it again. No changes. It seems like they are too many for the Freedom camp, so I think "ok, I'm going to load it a last time and if they kill that poor sod again I will continue without completing the mission".

So here we go again. The duty soldiers start climbing the hill with their exoesqueletons straight to the explosive charges, but just a few seconds before they reach the wall, two bloodsuckers appear OUT OF THE BLUE and start smacking us silly. One of them runs towards me while I was watching the assault with the binoculars and manage to hit me something fierce before I whip out the HK and unload a clip in his face. Scared, I look for the second one, and he is KILLING the Duty near the wall. He takes four of them before someone activates the explosives; the remaining Duty soldier then runs into the Freedom base (which is in full alert mode after the explosion), I am not sure if running away from the bloodsucker or if trying to acomplish his mission suicide style. Anyway, as soon as he breaks into the perimeter, a bajillion of Freedom riflemen shoot the shit out of him.

Mission acomplished. I got my Duty reward for cleaning the sniper and then I got some more moneys from the Freedom peeps for "killing" the Duty platoon, just because a totally random bloodsucker decided that it was a nice night to **** up some Duty soldiers. Of course I picked up all the junk in several trips from the many bodys scattered after both incursions, and made a killing selling it to the local gunsmith. Now I sport a rather swank exoesqueleton and have more firepower than Rwanda and Ethiopia combined.

Really, this game has its moments.

Solo

Funky Papa said:
HOLY RANDOMNESS BATMAN!

So I am in the Freedom base area and
some Duty members are planning an assault from a nearby barn. The idea is to blow a hole on the wall and penetrate, but they need to take out a sniper first. Given that I have no affiliation I say yes, I walk into the base, and start goofing around. I see the Freedom leader and I think "hey, what if I play both sides?" and tell them that there's a "small" Duty platoon ready to take out the base (lie, I guess they were ten or so, fully armed with powered exoesqueletons from hell). So they dispatch a squad of dudes with HK rifles and regular fatigues and tell me to help them killing the Duty platoon. I say yes, and as soon as they start running, I pussy out and let them do the fight. It is not necessary to say that they got owned big time. Even better, during the firing, someone took out the sniper, giving me the mission. Awesome.

Then, I save, and go back to the barn to ask for my reward. They pay me for killing the sniper (I didn't, that was someone else) and the remaining six or so Duty soldiers launch an assault to the Freedom base. They break into the camp, pwn everyone on sight and kill the Freedom leader before the remaining troopers go back to the barn to have some marshmallows or whatever. That was bad, because I was hoping they would get killed during the assault, but they didn't, and I couldn't take them out to pick up my reward for doing so because:

a) the Freedom leader was dead. He couldn't pay me ('doh)
b) killing the Duty soldiers would have made me an enemy of Duty, and I don't want that

Anyway, I reload my save after I pick up my reward for "killing" the sniper and I watch them charge against the Freedom base. They run to the wall, activate an explosive charge and enter killing Freedom dudes left and right. Then, the survivors come back to the barn to celebrate. Crap. I reload again. Same shit. Once again. They get killed, but not before taking our the leader. Crap. I try to reload it again. No changes. It seems like they are too many for the Freedom camp, so I think "ok, I'm going to load it a last time and if they kill that poor sod again I will continue without completing the mission".

So here we go again. The duty soldiers start climbing the hill with their exoesqueletons straight to the explosive charges, but just a few seconds before they reach the wall, two bloodsuckers appear OUT OF THE BLUE and start smacking us silly. One of them runs towards me while I was watching the assault with the binoculars and manage to hit me something fierce before I whip out the HK and unload a clip in his face. Scared, I look for the second one, and he is KILLING the Duty near the wall. He takes four of them before someone activates the explosives; the remaining Duty soldier then runs into the Freedom base (which is in full alert mode after the explosion), I am not sure if running away from the bloodsucker of if trying to acomplish his mission suicide style. Anyway, as soon as he breaks into the perimeter, a bajillion of Freedom riflemen shoot the shit out of him.

Mission acomplished. I got my Duty reward for cleaning the sniper and then I got some more moneys from the Freedome peeps for "killing" the Duty platoon. And all because a totally random bloodsucker decided that it was a nice night to **** up some Duty soldiers. Of course I picked up all the junk in several trips from the many bodys scattered after both incursions, and made a killing selling it to the local gunsmith. Now I sport a rather swank exoesqueleton and have more firepower than Rwanda and Ethiopia combined.

Really, this game has its moments.

Pretty much went through this EXACT same process myself. Really loved that mission.

Top Bottom