• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Chiggs

Gold Member
In regards to Funky Papa's post:

When I was still a friend of Freedom's, I was recruited by them to help defend an encampment from invading Monolith soldiers. Before the mission started, I was talking to their grizzled leader. He was, like, "Alright, Marked One, let's show these Monolith bastards wha---!" And at that precise moment, two giant boars, from out of nowhere, rammed him in the ass, sending him rag-dolling into the air and down a hill.

Seconds later, I see a barrage of Monolith soldiers storming up the hill towards me, slaughtering Freedom soldiers left and right. Their leader was lost; what were they to do!? What was I to do!?

RELOAD.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Funky Papa said:
HOLY RANDOMNESS BATMAN!

Oh I love it ;) Heres what happened to me on that one:

I agreed to kill the sniper, and did with a knife. Noone noticed and I was not an enemy of Freedom after doing so. I picked up a sweet sniper rifle too ;D. So I got my cash from Skull and then went on their raid. I just watched as Freedom decimated them, but "Cook" was killed, who is envolved in a mission later on to help steal a weapon from Freedom's base.

I ended up being friendly with both Freedom and Duty, and I was able to play them both. Much to my shock, even after I did the slaughter the outpost of duty mission, which envolves killing like 12 duty guys I was only Neutral with them. This was a bug, as the previous few times I did this mission Duty hated me.

So now I have super amounts of rep with Freedom, so I do the one Duty mission to get a weapon out of the Freedom base. Cook was dead, so I couldnt do whatever sneaky thing with him, so I took a more direct approach and killed the Freedom guy blocking the armory. Only a few guys in the immediate area became neutral and I remained friendly with all others.

I got the weapon, and returned it ;D

Only problem was this was with 1.0 pre-patch and a lot of the other optional Freedom/Duty quests were bugged and un-finishable. Still not a bad day!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Jesus, this game is as fun as nearly broken. Right now I am trying to pick up
two bulldog grenade launchers. They are hidden in a basement.
Fine, I go there, and I find a lot of ammo, a couple of medikits and nothing else. Oh, yes, pointing at the floor my cursor shows up one
of the bulldogs,
like if was really close to me, although it is nowhere to be seen. Explanation: it is under the soil. I pick the one that shows up when I walk over it, but the other seems too far away to do the trick and save it from the abyss of bad level design.

Amzin

ARG! I just got to X18, and HOW MANY FREAKING POLTERGEISTS ARE THERE?!!! I'm basically just wandering around being pelted by barrels while I'm looking for these codes because I can't seem to find all of them.

Amzin

Klaxon said:
Just noticed that I can select these weird stones (and that they have some advantage) and put on some other clothes. :x

Those are the artifacts. Be careful, their stats can be super misleading. If it says "+x Radiation" in red, it poisons you with radiation every second. And one's that have a bleed modifier in green are supposedly bugged to make you super bleed whenever you get hurt.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Prime crotch said:
I'm stuck on the Sarcophagus, my armor is completely shreded and I don't have a spare is there a god mode cheat?

There is an exoskeleton suit near the beginning of the area, find that and you'll be fine.

Schafer said:
There is an exoskeleton suit near the beginning of the area, find that and you'll be fine.
Where exactly? It's all pretty straight corridors but I didn't found anything and I can't get into the radioactive area because there's a lot of soldiers who kill me with one shot.

I'm stuck near the dark valley right after the barkeep give you the assignment to go in to x18. Theres this highly radioactive area that seems to be my only way into the lab. Every possible route I find radiates the hell out of me. I haven't tried running into it and using anti-rad meds, but that seems to be the only option.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Prime crotch said:
Where exactly? It's all pretty straight corridors but I didn't found anything and I can't get into the radioactive area because there's a lot of soldiers who kill me with one shot.

There is a side passage right near the start of the internal part that seems like a pointless deadend. Near the front of that is a broken wall that if you look at you'll see a ladder. Go down there (get your anti rads ready) and run to the end, exosuit should be in a chest.

madmook

automagnus said:
I'm stuck near the dark valley right after the barkeep give you the assignment to go in to x18. Theres this highly radioactive area that seems to be my only way into the lab. Every possible route I find radiates the hell out of me. I haven't tried running into it and using anti-rad meds, but that seems to be the only option.
That's what I did. Rushed through the blanket of radiation and not too far in it'll give you the "Move to the next level?" prompt after which there's no radiation on the other side.

Amzin

automagnus said:

Equip any -Radiation artifacts you've found too; Droplets, Fireballs, Thorns, etc. I actually had enough of them where my radiation level never went up, I just strolled through.

Schafer said:
There is a side passage right near the start of the internal part that seems like a pointless deadend. Near the front of that is a broken wall that if you look at you'll see a ladder. Go down there (get your anti rads ready) and run to the end, exosuit should be in a chest.
Thanks found it and got the bad ending
at least I guess killing everyone and everything is kinda bad

EekTheKat

Well, I figured out how to adjust the camera in the -psp mode (requires some editing in system.ltx)

But there doesn't seem to be much that can be done to fix anything else at this time in the unofficial 3rd person mode - all I really wanted to do was to get the crosshair to remain active while zooming and so far everything I've tried hasn't quite worked.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I finally beat it (****ing difficult, too). I can honestly say I feel bad for those who will never see the final areas of this game, because they are phenomenal (aside from not getting a good chance to explore the outside of Chernobyl). Pripryat is an amazing achievement.

Anyhow, now it's time to **** around with mods and trainers and create a photo essay of this game. Should be fun.

Oh, and everyone should watch this three minute video about the cleanup process and effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPsIVXM73qQ

Pretty creepy(especially that last shot). And OMG at the helicopter crash.

And this video is pretty interesting, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCcutzXzYg&mode=related&search=

The footage is shot by a man who died weeks later. He's actually inside the friggin' building.

Borys

Banned
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? More like T.H.I.E.F.:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46449

DOOM 3:
DOOM3.jpg

STALKER:
STALKER.jpg

HL2:
HL2.jpg

Amzin said:
Those are the artifacts. Be careful, their stats can be super misleading. If it says "+x Radiation" in red, it poisons you with radiation every second. And one's that have a bleed modifier in green are supposedly bugged to make you super bleed whenever you get hurt.

Didn't know that, thanks. :)

Solo

Chiggs said:
Hey, did you get the "Find Guide" mission? I never got that mission for some reason.

Yup, just got it. Is it a special mission or something? Also, how do I get back out of X16?

Solo said:
Yup, just got it. Is it a special mission or something? Also, how do I get back out of X16?

There's a hole in the far corner of room with
Ghost's body and the controller
, drop down and follow the tunnel.
Hope you like killing snorks in small, confined areas.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh man, that part was a bitch. I ran out of ammo for the shotty and pretty much every rifle and pistol in the tunnel after the massive shootout climbing the stairs, so I had to make my way out with grenades and my punny .45 pistol (which had like 20 bullets or so)

Chiggs

Gold Member
Funky Papa said:
Oh man, that part was a bitch. I ran out of ammo for the shotty and pretty much every rifle and pistol in the tunnel after the massive shootout climbing the stairs, so I had to make my way out with grenades and my punny .45 pistol (which had like 20 bullets or so)

Same here. Still, Red Forest, Pripryat, Chernobyl NPP make that look like cake.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Chiggs said:
Same here. Still, Red Forest, Pripryat, Chernobyl NPP make that look like cake.
The funniest part is that I had a buttload of 9x39 ammunition, maybe like 200 bullets, but no gun to use it. So there I was, storming zombie patrols with a grenade and a pistol only to search their bodies looking for some 5.56 bullets. I felt like John ****ing Rambo.

Amzin

Funky Papa said:
The funniest part is that I had a buttload of 9x39 ammunition, maybe like 200 bullets, but no gun to use it. So there I was, storming zombie patrols with a grenade and a pistol only to search their bodies looking for some 5.56 bullets. I felt like John ****ing Rambo.

Yeah, it seems like no matter what gun I'm using, my enemies drop ammo for something else. It's uncanny.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Funky Papa said:

Shoulda went into the freedom camp. Cross the bridge and take a left. The second barraks which has noone in it (across from the sleeping guy). Theres a...silenced, sniper, ..oukoban? But its fantastic! 3 shots and it drops people.

OatmealMu

capitalCORN said:
There's a hole in the far corner of room with
Ghost's body and the controller
, drop down and follow the tunnel.
Hope you like killing snorks in small, confined areas.

I actually ran out of ammo down there. I figured I was home free after I
killed the controller
. It ended up being the first and last time I liberally used my knife. It was going well... then I came across that big motherf*cker. That was quite a hair raising sprint to the end of the
tunnel.
:lol

Dot50Cal

Banned
OatmealMu said:
I actually ran out of ammo down there. I figured I was home free after I
killed the controller
. It ended up being the first and last time I liberally used my knife. It was going well... then I came across that big motherf*cker. That was quite a hair raising sprint to the end of the
tunnel.
:lol

I ran out too, but that was due in part to poor planning by me. I took a weapon down there that noone else had ammo for in the entire complex :lol I eventually got to a part which had some zombies in it and took their ammo ;D

tegdf

Chiggs said:
Well, I finally beat it (****ing difficult, too). I can honestly say I feel bad for those who will never see the final areas of this game, because they are phenomenal (aside from not getting a good chance to explore the outside of Chernobyl). Pripryat is an amazing achievement.

Anyhow, now it's time to **** around with mods and trainers and create a photo essay of this game. Should be fun.

Oh, and everyone should watch this three minute video about the cleanup process and effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPsIVXM73qQ

Pretty creepy(especially that last shot). And OMG at the helicopter crash.

And this video is pretty interesting, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCcutzXzYg&mode=related&search=

The footage is shot by a man who died weeks later. He's actually inside the friggin' building.

damn

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
This is the best game ever.

Last night I went on a raid against Freedom folks with the Duty and it was crazy just to watch the AI try and clear out this building. Truly wonderful AI. I sat back and helped them by sniping into the windows and tossing the occasional grenade.

And after the skirmish was over, omg, it was like Christmas. I am now doing the dragging body around inventory "cheat"... it's pretty awesome though, I feel like I'm carrying a duffel bag full of guns, which makes me walk slowly, and adds a lot of tension to the game when I'm trudging through areas with bloodsuckers (creepy Predator like speed, those damn things). Except this duffel bag is actually one of my prey. Hahaha.

Avalon

I wish... that the AI actually picked up loot.

I think it's kind of silly that sometimes they will take out stuff with little dinky firearms and won't at the very least take their preys gun.

Avalon said:

I think it's kind of silly that sometimes they will take out stuff with little dinky firearms and won't at the very least take their preys gun.
That would break the game and make it less enjoyable. Not to mention incredibly hard, all of my ammo supply came from looting corpses.

OatmealMu

Avalon said:

I've actually heard reports of the AI picking up guns from the ground. They don't bend down to pick it up. Instead, the walk over the gun and it disappears. I've never seen it myself, though.

Avalon

Prime crotch said:
That would break the game and make it less enjoyable. Not to mention incredibly hard, all of my ammo supply came from looting corpses.

How would that break the game? There is more then enough firearms and ammo to go around. Not only that but bodies and some containers have random new loot when ever you re-enter an area (another thing I wish was gone).

Hm... I've never seen them pick up anything.

Avalon said:
How would that break the game? There is more then enough firearms and ammo to go around. Not only that but bodies and some containers have random new loot when ever you re-enter an area (another thing I wish was gone).

Hm... I've never seen them pick up anything.
Yes but most of them come from looting bodys which would be a bother if NPCs started to loot them as well. At least all my ammo and guns came from looting.

They don't loot corpses, but I believe they do pick up weapons lying on the ground if they don't have one, or if all they have is a pistol. I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen.

syllogism

I've seen them crouch over corpses and I recall they even said something appropriate while doing so. Considering they even loot stashes I don't see why they couldn't do that.

Dot50Cal

Banned
chespace said:
This is the best game ever.

Last night I went on a raid against Freedom folks with the Duty and it was crazy just to watch the AI try and clear out this building. Truly wonderful AI. I sat back and helped them by sniping into the windows and tossing the occasional grenade.

And after the skirmish was over, omg, it was like Christmas. I am now doing the dragging body around inventory "cheat"... it's pretty awesome though, I feel like I'm carrying a duffel bag full of guns, which makes me walk slowly, and adds a lot of tension to the game when I'm trudging through areas with bloodsuckers (creepy Predator like speed, those damn things). Except this duffel bag is actually one of my prey. Hahaha.

Your duffel bag reasoning has convinced me its not cheating. Awesome! :lol

EekTheKat

This is pretty cool - got the motion blur working

-mblur in your shortcut, tweaked by the r2_mblur setting

God how I wish they had finished the 3rd person mode - it's looking pretty awesome :lol

I think this is why I had given up on PC gaming for a while :lol I seem to spend more time tweaking games than actually playing it.

Avalon

Prime crotch said:
Yes but most of them come from looting bodys which would be a bother if NPCs started to loot them as well. At least all my ammo and guns came from looting.

I'm not saying NPCs should actively seek bodies to loot, but if you happen to leave a a body with spoils and an NPC should wander around the area (since they like to do that) why wouldn't they take whatever is left?

The random loot should definitely be gone though.

Avalon said:
I'm not saying NPCs should actively seek bodies to loot, but if you happen to leave a a body with spoils and an NPC should wander around the area (since they like to do that) why wouldn't they take whatever is left?

The random loot should definitely be gone though.
It seems they do that already at least with guns although I never saw it.
One thing it would be awesome if the blue boxes stashes we have in each area were actually linked, RE style, I left so many ammo and guns on the box near the barkepper.

Avalon

Prime crotch said:
It seems they do that already at least with guns although I never saw it.
One thing it would be awesome if the blue boxes stashes we have in each area were actually linked, RE style, I left so many ammo and guns on the box near the barkepper.

Seems like you want things to be more convenient while I want thinks to be a bit more difficult/realistic. :)

I'm sure MODS will be around some day that fix these kind of things.

Avalon said:
Seems like you want things to be more convenient while I want thinks to be a bit more difficult/realistic. :)

I'm sure MODS will be around some day that fix these kind of things.
Well it would certanly break the feeling of the game a bit I guess but it's just so annoying to get in Pryapat and you know that you could have brought those 600 5.56 ammo for your new rifle but going back is a pain.
One thing I would have liked to see though is more NPCs wandering the areas doing other missions and shit although that would have probably have taken a couple more years to do.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I have definitely seen AI pick up guns, especially during raids.

In particular, I saw one friendly Stalker going after a bandit one time in a hollowed out building upstairs in the Cordon. He walked over to an AK74-SU, dropped his MP5 and swapped guns in front of my eyes, and then proceeded to go upstairs after the bandit.

I was blown away by this, but I thought, nah, must've been a fluke. Shitty Eastern European game this is and all.

It wasn't until hours later, when I was having these hard ass tooth and nail firefights against the AI that I truly realized this was the PC shooter FOR ME.

I mean, shit, can you imagine if HL2 or GRAW or RS:Vegas had this sort of AI? FUUUUUK.

Top Bottom