• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
EekTheKat said:
This is pretty cool - got the motion blur working

-mblur in your shortcut, tweaked by the r2_mblur setting

God how I wish they had finished the 3rd person mode - it's looking pretty awesome :lol

I think this is why I had given up on PC gaming for a while :lol I seem to spend more time tweaking games than actually playing it.

How do you get motion blur working? I put -mblur in my executable command line and changed the r2_mblur to 1. I also changed my renderer to "r2a" -- is that correct?

I'm on a laptop and my graphics chip is an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 SE. Does this thing just not do motion blur or HDR or something?

EekTheKat

Just tested it with the r2a renderer (object dynamic lighting only) and it's working here. That screenshot was taken with the r2 renderer.

This is my entire command line :

"C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -nointro -noprefetch -psp -mblur

I can actually adjust the motion blur in game via the console (currently my mblur setting is 0.1)

I'm on a 7800gtx 512meg, not sure if that's what's making the difference or not.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
chespace said:
I have definitely seen AI pick up guns, especially during raids.

In particular, I saw one friendly Stalker going after a bandit one time in a hollowed out building upstairs in the Cordon. He walked over to an AK74-SU, dropped his MP5 and swapped guns in front of my eyes, and then proceeded to go upstairs after the bandit.

I was blown away by this, but I thought, nah, must've been a fluke. Shitty Eastern European game this is and all.

It wasn't until hours later, when I was having these hard ass tooth and nail firefights against the AI that I truly realized this was the PC shooter FOR ME.

I mean, shit, can you imagine if HL2 or GRAW or RS:Vegas had this sort of AI? FUUUUUK.
The AI is indeed un****ingcredible. Some minutes ago two military guys tried to infiltrate into the Duty base but got repeled and had to take cover behind a close wall (mind you, they didn't stay there like pigeons, they retreated when they saw themselves outgunned). Instead of waiting for them to pop out like most NPCs would do in any other game, the Duty dudes left their sand bag protection and went after them, first from some distance, in case they came out, then bordering the wall really close, SWAT style. I was in awe. As soon as they turned the corner, there were was a shootout and the Duty commandos emerged to return to their old positions. Amazing.

Thanks heavens they don't know how to use the grenades, or I'd have to fight for every cm of soil. Seriously, we'd be ****ed.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Wow, motion blur makes this game looks even better...and it seems to have improved my framerate(?), too.

I also have the 140% hdr mod installed.

EekTheKat

I think STALKER may be the first shooter I've ever played where there's multiple states of health for a character.

As in you can incapacitate a guy by shooting him in the gut, and he'll writhe around on the ground in pain screaming in agony slowly bleeding to death too.

There also appears to be a disabled
limp
state too - where characters would
limp if you shoot them

There's also a whole lot of stuff they had to cut out too, someone actually figured out how to
gain friendly status with the bandits - though there's no quests/content available to go down that path
through modding and editing.

There's a very complicated sim engine going on in the background - the game we got out of the box is apparently a very streamlined version of what the devs actually wanted to do.

Chiggs

Gold Member
EekTheKat said:
There also appears to be a disabled
limp
state too - where characters would
limp if you shoot them

I've seen people limp away, actually. You can also take out their legs and they'll drop to the ground.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Avalon said:
How do you enable that?

EekTheKat said:
Just tested it with the r2a renderer (object dynamic lighting only) and it's working here. That screenshot was taken with the r2 renderer.

"C:\Program Files\THQ\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\XR_3DA.exe" -nointro -noprefetch -psp -mblur

I can actually adjust the motion blur in game via the console (currently my mblur setting is 0.1)

I'm on a 7800gtx 512meg, not sure if that's what's making the difference or not.

You may have to play around with the config file, too.

EekTheKat

Hmm yeah, the disabled limp state may actually be for the player character - I only casually glanced at what was available out there.

EekTheKat

Here's what my game currently looks like :

I'm almost tempted to upgrade my PC to see what this game looks like full out with everything cranked high :lol

Still needs some tweaking in the framerate department though - it's hovering at 18-20ish worst case with a lot of geometry and creatures in the area.

chespace

Those of you getting motion blur to work -- are you guys all using Directx 10 (a la Windows Vista)?

Dot50Cal

Banned
chespace said:
Those of you getting motion blur to work -- are you guys all using Directx 10 (a la Windows Vista)?

Nope, just put that in your command line and the MAX you can go to is 1.0. Always make it #.#.

This is freaking AMAZING looking. Shades of Crysis when playing with it on. In First Person it looks insanely good! Especially when your running approaching buildings...so great!

Quick Tutorial:

add -mblur in your command line.

Bring down the console when in game (~) and type

r2_mblur 1.0

1.0 is the max as far as I can tell, but you can change it all the way from 0.1 to 1.0. Have fun ;D

Avalon

Shame that motion blur doesn't work in DX8 mode...
No hope for that right?

I really want to dive back into the game, but I know the moment I get far another patch will be released and I'll have to start over again. >_<

Dot50Cal

Banned
Getting an HD (1280x720) vid up now. Man it looks so good..I really need a new video card to showcase this game properly though FPS dips quite a bit in this..but it helps to showcase the motion blur :lol

Word of caution for noprefetch users. I noticed a ton of texture poping with that in, so I removed it. I can deal with the extra 10 seconds of loading if the game looks better ;)

Edit: Video is done. Its a short 30 second one which showcases motion blur. 1280x720, 12.7MB, x264 codec. You'll need FFDShow to decode it. Just install it and make sure you checkmark the h264 option. Its the best decoder on the market right now for x264.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

Download:
http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/stalkermb.mp4

Preview:

motionsj4.jpg

This wont play on the PS3. It doesnt support x264, sorry!

chespace

Argh, wtf, I am using DX9 with this ATI Radeon Mobility X600 SE and I can't seem to get motion blur going. I'll try doing it through the console.

I have a feeling my game isn't being rendered via R2A. WHY WHY WHY.

chespace said:
Argh, wtf, I am using DX9 with this ATI Radeon Mobility X600 SE and I can't seem to get motion blur going. I'll try doing it through the console.

I have a feeling my game isn't being rendered via R2A. WHY WHY WHY.

x600 is based on the x800, so it's DX9b. If your options are already set to dynamic lighting, double check by looking in your USER.LTX file and see if the renderer field is listed as renderer_r1 (static), or renderer_r2 (Full Dynamic, an 'a' suffix means objects only). If it's set to static lighting, try forcing DX9 mode by adding -r2a along with -mblur to the command line. Although if your framerates are running in the teens you probably already have dynamic lighting on. The effect is hardly subtle so it should be immediately noticeable.

It's also possible that motion blur is restricted to DX9c cards like the Nvidia's 6800 series and ATI's x1800, if that's the case you're SOL.

I find it amazing how many undocumented features in this game (bloom, motion blur) have close to no performance hit on my system. I'm going to play around with r2_aa and see if I can fake some sort of DOF effect, once I figure out how to keep the game from crashing constantly (apparently I changed a variable I shouldn't, but I'll be damned if I know which one).

Borys

Banned
Wow looking at those pics I finally made a decision. This is the best looking game currently on market, any platform. Amazing drawing distance, amazing textures, amazing lighting, amazing shadows, amazing effects (motion blur).

It's like Crysis 0.4b Alpha or something.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Doesn't motion blur ruin the experience? It looks a little too messy. How is the aiming?

Edit: Dot50Cal, your link doesn't work :)

OatmealMu said:
BTW, did anyone ever run into a
bloodsucker
outdoors while roaming
The Wild?

Oh yes, and they got in a real cheap scare on me as well.

Went back towards the
Freedom base area
to turn in a quest, thing was, as soon as the loading screen was done i spawned in a cluster of creatures in combat (2x suckers and a bunch of those "screaming meatballs with a face") met by their horrendous shrieks and getting clawed all within the same second made me jump quite a bit. :p

Dot50Cal

Banned
Chiggs said:
Screenshots ahoy! Watch out, there are some spoilers!

Why is your screen all orange in the one shot? I never seen that.

Funky Papa said:
Doesn't motion blur ruin the experience? It looks a little too messy. How is the aiming?

Edit: Dot50Cal, your link doesn't work :)

Doesnt at all. It looks fantastic and aiming is fine.

Link should work, My host is probably freaking out because GAF bandwidth rape. Just keep trying ;)

How do you activate Bloom?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Chiggs said:
That's at
Chernobyl. I refer to that part as "the half mile run."

Ah, I ran that straight through when the timer hit with night vision on. So the screen goes all whacky? :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Dot50Cal said:
Ah, I ran that straight through when the timer hit with night vision on. So the screen goes all whacky? :lol

Haha, yeah, it does. I had to do that section nearly ten times. Kept getting rpg'd.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Chiggs said:
Haha, yeah, it does. I had to do that section nearly ten times. Kept getting rpg'd.

Yeah, that part was horrible. I kept running thinking I did something wrong because It took forever :lol

Getting shot a lot by helicopters and such didnt help :\

chespace

Damn you guys with your motion blur.

Damn you all to hell.

This game is making me want to upgrade my PC.

I just sold off about $85,000 worth of guns and ammo and other crap. What sucks is that you can't drag bodies between levels, so I had to literally run from the bar back to the edge of the other level over and over again, each time dealing with the game's godawful, nigh-unusable inventory UI.

Now I'm off to the Dark Valley -- and after facing Freedom guys for the past 3 or 4 hours, these bandits are a cakewalk with their MP5s. :lol I almost feel bad for these guys.

Game is awesome. Awesome beyond awesome. Ranks right up there among my favorite PC shooters ever. It's got the grit and art direction of HL2, only Stalker has real AI and ballistics.

Motion blur looks fantastic. It's a little buggy the way your gun is affected though, set it too high and your hand/weapon sort of reverberates as you run.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ok, I finished. The history is so damn horrible. Really. I don't understand how can someone create such an awesome game with that plot. Anyway, where the hell is the
wishmaker
?

Dot50Cal

Banned
You sure you payed attention? Cause the game makes it pretty clear where it is, what it is, etc. Especially if you got the true ending, which it seems like you did.

chespace

Is anyone really playing this game for the narrative and story?

The moment-to-moment tension of the firefights and the overwhelming atmosphere is more than enough for me. These fetch quests just serve to point me in a direction -- I guess it's really more about the journey and not so much the destination.

Wollan

Is it possible to add motion blur at all without going rendering mode 2 (or dynamic lighting of any kind)? (1st Edit: Obviously not as it's listed at r2_)

PS! What is command line? I'm toying around with the user.ltx file and the console but I'm not sure what you're referring to with command line.

2nd Edit:

EekTheKat said:

Let's try this..

3rd Edit: That seemed to work and immediately makes the game look more sophisticated. Now I just need to adjust the amount of mblur.

KTallguy

Banned
I found that with a very small amount of mblur the game looks loads better. Too much and it just gets annoying.

Man though, this game looks amazing sometimes with the dynamic lighting, but I get 25-20 fps usually :( and in heavy firefights it's even worse.... I need to mess with settings more, but so far I'm liking this game. It's fricking hard though. WTH are you supposed to do when you're alone against 6 bandits?&#12288;(Sometimes I just RUN!!)

Dodging those 'traps' is fun stuff. I just can't wait to see how this game will get better and better with patches, mods, and other stuff :)

Wollan

I was helping this guy out with some dogs and after the firefight I noticed we had managed to get a dog stuck in the fire barrel:

Hotdog.jpg

Zenith

Banned
Funky Papa said:
I just started with the nuclear plant, and I had no idea helicopters were also vulnerable to anomalies. I said wow.

they're not. it's scripted. in fact if you start walking past the power cables and then stop, the chopper will freeze mid-crash and wait for you to finish walking to the trigger point before it crashes.

Wollan

Is the -psp command you put in the command line third person view or did I hit a button?
It's actually brilliant and it works really well like unlike Oblivion but like RE4 only better. I feel that combat is much more manageable now and taking cover is swift.

Edit: One problem though, you can't talk to people in 'PSP' mode.

Add this to the user.ltx file:

bind cam_1 kF1
bind cam_2 kF2
bind cam_3 kF3
bind cam_4 kF4

Now you can change between the cams and if you have -psp in your command line then that should be f2.

Solo

Help! Im doing the mission for the Duty guy in Bar, General Vronin, where he wants me to get Chef to tell me where the Bulldog 6 is, and bring the weapon back to him. Problem is, apparently I killed Chef a week ago when I was playing the mission where you raid the warehouse (the dot for the objective to find Chef was red, and after some searching, I found his corpse) :lol Anyone know where the weapon is hidden so that I can complete the quest?

Raiden

Banned
Do you guys think Stalker would run well on my 256mb 6600gt and 1gig ram?

Im thinking of buying it, but i would at least like to run it decently in medium settings.

Raiden said:
Do you guys think Stalker would run well on my 256mb 6600gt and 1gig ram?

Im thinking of buying it, but i would at least like to run it decently in medium settings.

yes

....just be sure to enable "static lighting"

Raiden

Banned
Okay cool, i just downloaded the "mp beta" just to run everything, with static lightning i can even play the game on 60-90 fps.

That is in an empty map with no movement besides me, but i do expect it to play decently with the full game.

Im seriously doubting wether to buy this or not..

Top Bottom