• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Raiden said:
Okay cool, i just downloaded the "mp beta" just to run everything, with static lightning i can even play the game on 60-90 fps.

That is in an empty map with no movement besides me, but i do expect it to play decently with the full game.

Im seriously doubting wether to buy this or not..

Buy it. The full game will run good, too.

And there will be a patch out in the next couple of days that should give you 10-20 more fps in SP.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Pimpbaa said:
So do I. My outside FPS is great for the most part but my indoor framerate is horrendous on my 8800GTS.

Hmm...I'm on a 7900gs, and everything's over 30fps with Dynamic Lighting...I bet your issue is driver related, especially since you mentioned it takes a hit indoors.

Amzin

heh, randomly decided to check my ranking:
ss_user_04-09-07_13-58-45_l10_radar.jpg

How true! :D

Just turned off
the brain scorcher and zoned into Propyit
, time to unleash more sniping into people.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Solo said:
Help! Im doing the mission for the Duty guy in Bar, General Vronin, where he wants me to get Chef to tell me where the Bulldog 6 is, and bring the weapon back to him. Problem is, apparently I killed Chef a week ago when I was playing the mission where you raid the warehouse (the dot for the objective to find Chef was red, and after some searching, I found his corpse) :lol Anyone know where the weapon is hidden so that I can complete the quest?

Main Freedom house on the first floor. Its being guarded by a guy and its inside the locked gate room behind him. Shoot the lock, its inside one of the blue chests.

You'll have to kill the guy though. Even if you are friendly with them they wont let you pass. Im assuming cook would get it for you? But Im not sure, he died in the raid on my game too.

madmook

Show-off (-_-)

I am taking my time with this game, really absorbing the atmosphere and enjoying the gunfights. I'm barely at the Freedom base. Its been awhile since I've PC-gamed, and this is reminding me of why I used to be PC gaming only.

The damn stuttering and pausing is really annoying, though. I've read that its prevalent on just about every system configuration, no matter how powerful the specs. Hopefully some of it is due to my laptop's 5400rpm HDD. I got an external 7200rpm USB drive today and I'm going to install and run the game from there and see if that changes anything. *crosses fingers*

EekTheKat

Some guys were playing around with the script files + managed to take the handcuffs off the NPC's and all sorts of crazy stuff was happening all over the place :lol

I think they deleted all the set "jobs" the AI had (like giving out quests), and the function to keep NPC's in a certain area...so every NPC was free to run around doing whatever the hell they wanted :lol

It apparently totally breaks the game though, in that certain quests can't be done - but you do see a lot more NPC interactions.

Pimpbaa

Chiggs said:
Hmm...I'm on a 7900gs, and everything's over 30fps with Dynamic Lighting...I bet your issue is driver related, especially since you mentioned it takes a hit indoors.

Probably. There was supposed to be a driver release with stalker specific optimizations, but I don't know when that will be (they just released a driver for xp that was OLDER than the best stable beta driver out there). I was thinking it could be cpu related (I only have an athlon X2 3800+) but it ran great with static lighting when I still had my 7600GT and I assume dynamic lighting just adds more work for your video card to do not cpu.

EekTheKat

I found this game to be "extremely" sensitive to the texture_lod setting - turning that down to 2 in user.ltx was enough to get it running smoothly with dynamic lighting in most conditions.

Turning off the grass shadows setting helped a lot of people as well.

Honestly, the lighting effects are cool enough to sacrifice a little texture detail to get it running with full dynamic lighting.

an 8800 GTS should be able to do texture_lod 1 I think. If you're tweaking this game you may want to start at 2 + see how it runs there before tuning it back up.

I'm on vista with a single 512meg GTX, and in its current condition after a lot of tweaking - it's running about 20-30fps with v-sync on and motion blur.

I've got A64 3700+, 2GB, 7800GT (91.47) and indoors is generally ~double the outdoor framerate. Outdoors usually holds 30+ but can dip lower at times. I think the AI lags me at sometimes, as soon as I kill a certain enemy or two the framerate shoots up. It just seems to occasionally get caught on some cpu intensive problem it can't resolve.

Is there any mods to make night time more like night ie. dark?

Dot50Cal

Banned
EekTheKat said:
Some guys were playing around with the script files + managed to take the handcuffs off the NPC's and all sorts of crazy stuff was happening all over the place :lol

I think they deleted all the set "jobs" the AI had (like giving out quests), and the function to keep NPC's in a certain area...so every NPC was free to run around doing whatever the hell they wanted :lol

It apparently totally breaks the game though, in that certain quests can't be done - but you do see a lot more NPC interactions.

Link/Info STAT!!!

Chiggs

Gold Member
madmook said:
The damn stuttering and pausing is really annoying, though. I've read that its prevalent on just about every system configuration, no matter how powerful the specs. Hopefully some of it is due to my laptop's 5400rpm HDD. I got an external 7200rpm USB drive today and I'm going to install and run the game from there and see if that changes anything. *crosses fingers*

Add -noprefetch to your shortcut's target. It makes a world of difference.

Amzin

Woohoo, beat the game. I think I got the good ending, too. . .
found the secret lab in Chernobyl, decoded, blasted my way through those halls, talked to the C-Conscious, said I wouldn't join, then fought through all the warp gate thingies.

I added the mblur thing but forgot to turn it on, I'll have to play with that later.

Amzin

Avalon said:
What does that do exactly?

I'm no guru, but it stops it from prefetching things into the memory when it loads. For some reason Stalker seems to be very bad at preloading the right things, so it winds up having to clear it out and load different things as you run around, thus the stuttering.

For some people it makes it better, some people notice no difference. It seemed to make mine worse in some levels and better in others.

Avalon

Amzin said:
I'm no guru, but it stops it from prefetching things into the memory when it loads. For some reason Stalker seems to be very bad at preloading the right things, so it winds up having to clear it out and load different things as you run around, thus the stuttering.

For some people it makes it better, some people notice no difference. It seemed to make mine worse in some levels and better in others.

Okay. The name gave me the jist of it and it sounded a bit off that it would actually help in a game like STALKER.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Avalon said:
Okay. The name gave me the jist of it and it sounded a bit off that it would actually help in a game like STALKER.

I have 2gigs of PC-6400 in my system, and it helped tremendously. Granted, it still fouls up every now and then.

http://www.tweakguides.com/STALKER_10.html

However, there is one thing you can try which not only greatly speeds up initial loading times, but may also reduce stuttering: the -noprefetch command line switch. This switch is covered on the previous page of this guide, and instructions for using it are similar to the ones provided further above for the -nointro switch. Once you've enabled the -noprefetch switch, it will disable the prefetching which occurs when STALKER loads up a saved game, preventing the game engine from preloading a range of resources into memory. This obviously speeds up the loading of saved games. However you'd think that in return this would increase in-game stuttering, yet on my system it also helped to reduce in-game stutter and loading pauses as well. I suspect it may be that STALKER is too aggressive in preloading unnecessary game elements, taking up too much RAM perhaps, which then forces the game to pause longer as data is swapped when new areas are entered. Disabling prefetching seems to allow smoother loading of smaller amounts of data more regularly.

Your results may vary based on how much RAM you have, and more importantly how fast your hard drives are, but it is well worth trying. Even if the stutter remains the same, at least your game loading times will be greatly reduced.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Week of March 25th

1) Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Electronic Arts - $46
2) Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars Kane Ed - Electronic Arts - $58
3) Stalker: Shadow Of Chernobyl - THQ - $34
4) World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Expansion Pack - Vivendi - $39
5) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Shivering Isles Expansion Pack - 2K Games - $30
6) World Of Warcraft - Vivendi - $20
7) The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts - $30
8) The Sims 2 - Electronic Arts - $37
9) Supreme Commander - THQ - $50
10) The Sims 2 Pets Expansion Pack - Electronic Arts - $30

C&C3 on top as expected but STALKER showing some legs not to mention staying above the freshly released Shivering Isles.

tegdf

Schafer said:
Week of March 25th

C&C3 on top as expected but STALKER showing some legs not to mention staying above the freshly released Shivering Isles.

hopefully it will continue

Kinan

Thats how would our way look in real Prypyat (thnx google maps :) )

2ytoew4.jpg

1. "Monolith" base
2. Hotel.
3. Park and Ferris wheel
4. Stadium "Avangard".

Borys

Banned
Schafer said:
Week of March 25th

That's amazing, really.

Props to THQ and please God there be a STALKER 2 or at least a STALKER XP.

Kinan - that's pretty awesome.

Victrix

*beard*
Finally had a chance to play this some more

It's really damn cool. It's like Fallout meets something between Half Life 2 and Deus Ex in first person

I don't think it's quite as cool as those games subjectively, but it's a fantastic mix of genres, style, and gameplay

I really dig the venomous AI, as much as it can be an annoying quickload fest sometimes if you aren't careful

I've seen some people say that the AI is all-knowing, but other than the bug/issue that AI states are reset on game load (sort of unavoidable probably), I haven't noticed anything odd. If the AI spots me, they hound me relentlessly, unless there's a lot of cover, in which case I can slip away far enough to come at them from another angle.

Similarly, sneaking works just fine if you're careful, and if it's raining and/or dark, they won't see or hear stuff they normally would, which is really cool.

This sort of tactical combat is _not_ my thing, and I don't find it overly enjoyable, but the mix of other aspects of the game, the setting, and the overall experience is pretty damn cool.

I thought this game was long dead, I'm happy to see that isn't the case.

Oh, and I have one of my friends _completely_ addicted to it :) Unlike me, he doesn't mind the tactical combat, so he's eating it up.

Zenith

Banned
the vehicles have been added in but they're not much use as the maps have been totally redesigned since they were taken out.

Solo

Dot50Cal said:
Main Freedom house on the first floor. Its being guarded by a guy and its inside the locked gate room behind him. Shoot the lock, its inside one of the blue chests.

You'll have to kill the guy though. Even if you are friendly with them they wont let you pass. Im assuming cook would get it for you? But Im not sure, he died in the raid on my game too.

Thanks for this. Also, Im not worried about having to kill ANYONE there. I killed them all during the first mission. So the base is pretty much full of corpses.

Mason

Well I've completely ignored this game recently due to the fact that my PC can't run it, but now I'm starting to have second thoughts with people reporting patches that increase frame rates and what not. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 2000+
512 MB RAM
GeForce 5600 FX 256 MB (DX9)

I am able to run HL2 with most settings on Med/High, depending on resolution. Will I be able to run Stalker in a playable form? I don't care about having to turn down settings and decreasing the resolution at this point. I'll upgrade sometime in the future and worry about the eye candy then. I just want to know if it will be able to run. Their website is really vague about "being able to scale down" but I'd prefer to hear from actual users with real world experience before wasting money on the game.

Mason said:
Well I've completely ignored this game recently due to the fact that my PC can't run it, but now I'm starting to have second thoughts with people reporting patches that increase frame rates and what not. Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 2000+
512 MB RAM

I am able to run HL2 with most settings on Med/High, depending on resolution. Will I be able to run Stalker in a playable form? I don't care about having to turn down settings and decreasing the resolution at this point. I'll upgrade sometime in the future and worry about the eye candy then. I just want to know if it will be able to run. Their website is really vague about "being able to scale down" but I'd prefer to hear from actual users with real world experience before wasting money on the game.

I don't see why not. Static Lighting turns off just about every demanding effect there is, so running in that mode should be fine (probably less demanding than HL2).

Slo

Mason said:

AMD Athlon 2000+
512 MB RAM

I'm running a 2100+ XP, 1GB, 9800 Pro 128 mb. According to fraps, I'm getting 25-40 fps @ 1280x768, medium, static lighting.

Kinan

VibratingDonkey said:
This is quite awesome. It'll completely break the game, but awesome like a tiger with a cobrahead in a monstertruck on fire being chased by dragons dropping explosive turds it'll be indeed.

Heh, they coded in a basic needs into A-Life AI. :)

Pes wandered off into Agropom and my quest pointer for Fox showed him making his way to The Bar.

This is A-Living! :)

At least people will now realise why we never got to see a game with completely script free world AND a story. :p

madmook

Solo said:
Thanks for this. Also, Im not worried about having to kill ANYONE there. I killed them all during the first mission. So the base is pretty much full of corpses.
Wait... by "first" mission do you mean the one where you take out the sniper first and then the Duty squad blows through the wall?

Because I tried taking out the whole Freedom base, too, but they seemed to respawn infinitely and I couldn't gain any ground. There must have been close to a hundred bodies strewn about before I thought it was fruitless and gave up (ran out of time, had to stop playing).

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
I'm running 2.8 GHZ P4 w/ 1GB RAM and a ATI 850XT. Object lighting, textures at medium, no anisotropic. The sucker still stutters at the worst times--mostly when I make abrupt movements (aka enemy flanking me and I turn around). Does that -noprefetch get rid of that too? It's really annoying.

Also, is it me or does the AI cheat? Seems to know whenever my back is turned. That, or the AI is just freakin smart. I'm taking forever on the first level, just because I like exploring every nook and cranny. Took a whole lot of quicksaves/quickloads to kill all the guards at the train tracks, lol.

But dang I love this game. Almost reminds me of Fallout 2 (not quite as good as that game tho).

Amzin

I'm not sure how I feel about the AI. It was impressive at first, but by the time I beat the game I could basically predict every move they'd make and even force them into moving certain ways. It's certainly better than any other fps I've played overall, and the interactions between npc's is neat.

Amzin

sugaki said:
Also, is it me or does the AI cheat? Seems to know whenever my back is turned. That, or the AI is just freakin smart. I'm taking forever on the first level, just because I like exploring every nook and cranny. Took a whole lot of quicksaves/quickloads to kill all the guards at the train tracks, lol.

But dang I love this game. Almost reminds me of Fallout 2 (not quite as good as that game tho).

The guards at the tracks is like the hardest damn fight in the game because you have such a suck-ass weapon compared to them, and little other resources. Once you get the next set of weapons the game gets MUCH easier (At least it did for me.)

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Amzin said:
The guards at the tracks is like the hardest damn fight in the game because you have such a suck-ass weapon compared to them, and little other resources. Once you get the next set of weapons the game gets MUCH easier (At least it did for me.)

But the satisfaction in getting rid of them was so completely worth it :D The last guy left was keeled over bleeding... suffice to say I didn't show much mercy with him. I did feel pangs of guilt when he cried out "mama" though. =P

Chiggs

Gold Member
Amzin said:
I'm not sure how I feel about the AI. It was impressive at first, but by the time I beat the game I could basically predict every move they'd make and even force them into moving certain ways. It's certainly better than any other fps I've played overall, and the interactions between npc's is neat.

What difficulty level were you playing at? Some of the fights I had at Apogram and Pripyrat were amazing.

Amzin

Chiggs said:
What difficulty level were you playing at? Some of the fights I had at Apogram and Pripyrat were amazing.

Hmm, I think the 2nd hardest one. It kept resetting to the hardest one when I was tinkering with settings at the beginning, and stuff seemed to just annihilate me in 2 hits then. I'm gonna try playing through it again on that setting though.

jda1977

Game is not running all that good on my new comp. I get like 15-18fps outside and 60-80 inside. I have it on the second stage lighting (object lighting) that gave me like 3-5fps outdoors.
My comp
e6600
8800 gts 320mb (driver 7.15.11.141)
2gb ram
320gb hd 7400
Vista premium

game looks good from what I could tell...

Chiggs

Gold Member
jda1977 said:
Game is not running all that good on my new comp. I get like 15-18fps outside and 60-80 inside. I have it on the second stage lighting (object lighting) that gave me like 3-5fps outdoors.
My comp
e6600
8800 gts 320mb (driver 7.15.11.141)
2gb ram
320gb hd 7400
Vista premium

game looks good from what I could tell...

Do you have the patch? Also, you should play around with the grass and AF settings, as those seem to make quite a difference. Also, try the -noprefetch command in the shortcut's target.

That said, it's probably a driver issue.

jda1977

Got it. Did the command line no prefetch and that helped but by accident I middle clicked my mouse roll wheel, which took me to my desktop. I clicked to go back in and boom 50-80fps while outside. Works every time.... Dont know why but hay it works...

tegdf

alright this time I got the ending where he
shoots the green tanks and ends up in a field and laying down, and I remember reading where after a certain ending you could restart the game over but with all your current equipment

Sullen

Okay, I think I might have a problem. I just started the game recently, and have been doing quests at the starting stalker camp area. Anyway, I somehow pissed off a patrol of military dudes going down the road (are these guys initially hostile to you or something?) anyway, I ran from them, and like 5 mins later they caught up to me at the stalker camp. A giant fire fight followed (was like 8 military dudes) and now everyone in the stalker camp is dead except for myself and the dude below ground that you get missions from. Is the game ****ed at this point or can I keep going fine?

Wolf, the mission/quest giver, is dead...I assume. That means you won't be getting those Qs from him, so I'd restart on the save before you encounter the army dudes. Unless you don't really care about those newbie quests... Another guy shows up later to replace him if he dies, though I think the missions are different...never bothered to remember. Not game breaking, but you might miss out on some easy money/crap quest rewards.

I just finished the game and, man, what a god damned awesome experience. Too bad the good is hidden behind some really stupid shit in places. Gonna have to restart this to get a better ending, though.

Top Bottom