• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Kabouter

Jacobi said:
- How is the performance now ? I have a A64 3500+ 2GB RAM and a 7900GTX...

I'm running it maxed (including full dynamic lighting and blur enabled in the user.ltx file) and it runs pretty well :). I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ with 2GB RAM and a 7800GTX 256MB. Global Illumination I can't enable in the user.ltx file though, that slows the game down a little too much in more heavily lit areas.

Oh, and I'm running the latest version of the float32 mod. Though there is a newer and far superior version coming out tomorrow or later today, so I'm hoping I'll be able to run global illumination now since the game looks freakin' amazing with that on. Mod also improves quality of lighting (not textures!) aside from performance btw, comparison shots:
http://thefloatingpoint.org/main/e107_files/images/compare_screens/screen1.jpg
http://thefloatingpoint.org/main/e107_files/images/compare_screens/screen2.jpg
http://thefloatingpoint.org/main/e107_files/images/compare_screens/screen3.jpg
http://thefloatingpoint.org/main/e107_files/images/compare_screens/screen4.jpg
http://thefloatingpoint.org/main/e107_files/images/compare_screens/screen5.jpg
http://thefloatingpoint.org/main/e107_files/images/compare_screens/screen6.jpg

Kabouter

Prime crotch said:
nuh uh!
Well if there were I doubt we'll see any port, maybe a new game but a port? Doubt it, the game is to PC-ish specially being a shooter.
I could definitely see them port it, I haven't run into anything that I couldn't see done well on 360 or PS3. And it was a pretty expensive game, so they might want to recoup some more of that dev costs by also releasing it on consoles.

Kinan

Oh, snap. GSC just confirmed they are cooking big update for STALKER. Main addition - new "Freeplay" mode in which you are not binded by a storyline, and your aim is just upping your rating and becoming best stalker in the zone. Now thats will be some ultimate AI test. :)

Also in rumor department a new bit appeared. It seems that they are working now at prequel to stalker, its gonna be announced at E3 and planned release time is next spring.

Dont have any English link for the news though, but that is coming from rather respectable Russian site ixbt.com.

Kinan

Another news from GSC came recently - they announced that have sold more than half a million copies of the game in ex-USSR territories alone. No numbers yet for rest of the world, but the same number will be a good guess I suppose.
Also they released data of small survey that was included in the box, they have got almost 100k participants in it, which is pretty amazing by itself. Few interesting bits - age of gamers:

25 -34 38.35%
19 - 24 31.96%
13 - 18 15.34%
35 - 44 11.57%
older than 44 2.09%
younger than 13 0.69% (No Jack Thompson in Ukraine, I suppose. :p)

Also distribution between hardcore/casual players was pretty much 50/50. (taken from answers on the number of recently bought games).

In the rumor section it seems that while prequel (rumored for Spring 2008) will be done on X-Ray engine, they are planning to license some other engine for the sequel (Fall 2008). This makes sense only if... sequel gonna come to consoles and they need multiplatform engine asap, otherwise that would take them another 6 years.

Anyhow, all this should be revealed at E3, not so much left anyway.

Kinan said:
Another news from GSC came recently - they announced that have sold more than half a million copies of the game in ex-USSR territories alone.

But PC gaming is dying! Games don't sell! etc etc

Seriously, that's great news. The game has it's share of flaws but it was great. Well deserved.

syllogism

Kinan said:
Another news from GSC came recently - they announced that have sold more than half a million copies of the game in ex-USSR territories alone. No numbers yet for rest of the world, but the same number will be a good guess I suppose.
Also they released data of small survey that was included in the box, they have got almost 100k participants in it, which is pretty amazing by itself. Few interesting bits - age of gamers:

25 -34 38.35%
19 - 24 31.96%
13 - 18 15.34%
35 - 44 11.57%
older than 44 2.09%
younger than 13 0.69% (No Jack Thompson in Ukraine, I suppose. :p)

Also distribution between hardcore/casual players was pretty much 50/50. (taken from answers on the number of recently bought games).

In the rumor section it seems that while prequel (rumored for Spring 2008) will be done on X-Ray engine, they are planning to license some other engine for the sequel (Fall 2008). This makes sense only if... sequel gonna come to consoles and they need multiplatform engine asap, otherwise that would take them another 6 years.

Anyhow, all this should be revealed at E3, not so much left anyway.

Source? That's really impressive despite the game being cheap in those territories.

edit: wow, freeplay sounds pretty cool:

Here is how it will work:
After passing the game with one of the good endings, a Freeplay mode will become available in the menu, as well as the Extreme difficulty level.

What it will look like:

Usually, we start at the dealer's, but... no. We are no longer Strelok , and we are not going into the heart of the Zone. The player is now a newbie stalker and gets to live a regular stalker's life, without the past heroics.

Main innovations:

- The world of the game is completely under control of life simulation.
- Parameters of the simulation have been balanced for Freeplay.
- There will be no storyline missions in Freeplay.
- All levels up to and including Pripjat' will be available.
- All smart terrain has been unblocked! The simulation is no longer bound by any storyline scenes.
- The missions in the Freeplay mode are based on the mechanics of secondary quests from the regular game, but with new types of quests.
- Some new dialogs have been added.
- New types of quests are given by various factions - Stalkers, Freedom, Duty, Military, and characters - Dealer, Barman, Saharov.
- The game is for ratings, which are given out by the aforementioned factions and characters. There will be 7 ratings from each quest giver.
- Each new rating will be rewarded. Unique items will be among the rewards.
- New unique items and weapons have been added.
- The "top 100" rating has a new algorithm. Rating of all stalkers changes during the whole duration of the game. It is valuable now.
- PDA has expanded statistics - the number of enemies and monsters killed, weapons and ammo used, shooting efficiency, time spent in locations, artifacts found, items used, unique items found, and much more.

In other words, Freeplay mode is for those who wanted to walk around the Zone after passing the game once or twice. Not to run around, completing mission quests, but to just live inside the Zone. To get the rank of the rich man of the Zone from the dealer, to collect all artifacts for the scientists, or do some of many other possible things. Simulation will be different, more life-like, now that all limitations have been removed. It will be rebalanced specifically for Freeplay, and a number of shortcomings we learned about after the release will be fixed.

Freeplay in patch 1.1 is only the first step, the tip of the iceberg of changes we are making to the game for the next installment. But, more about that after E3.

Many changes in gameplay and fixes are not described here. In the next portion of news I will tell you about the new difficulty level

Dalauz

woah, ex comrades got cools PCs

i mean e6320@2.7 ghz, 2x1gb ddr 2 800 g-skill kit, ECS 7600 GT @1600 and run like shit :(

im gonna upgrade my vga soon tho

syllogism

Dalauz said:
woah, ex comrades got cools PCs

i mean e6320@2.7 ghz, 2x1gb ddr 2 800 g-skill kit, ECS 7600 GT @1600 and run like shit :(

im gonna upgrade my vga soon tho

Have you tried the float32 mod? It should improve your performance. On my e6600/8800gts the game never drops under 40fps, on Vista no less, in 1600x1200 with everything (including AA+AF) maxed, not that you should be playing at that res with a 7600gt.

Kinan

Yea, float32 is pretty much a must.

On the related note, GSC opened a MOD-related portal which they are promising to support with know-how, SDK info etc.

http://sdk.stalker-game.com/en/index.php/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Shadow_of_Chernobyl_MOD_portal

So if you plan to do some stalker mod, you may find some useful info there.

Here comes some good news to the modders of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: we are happy to announce the launch of official web-site to support the mod-making!

With the just launched MOD portal of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. you can locate all the necessary SDK information, download or upload your MODs, post themed articles, get assistance from the development team etc.

how do you use the float32 mod? I tried following the instructions but I was missing a folder to drop the texture files in. I had a go at putting it in the DIR but I ddn't see any improvements :/

Can't wait for the freeplay though :D

Cedeo

What are the best Nvidia drivers for 8000 series for this game, tried to run it on Vista after completiting it on XP and all I get is a sky and a grey floor no objects or textures. I read up on it and apperently there were some NVidia driver issues with this game and Vista, I'm using Nvidia drivers 158.18 now are there any better ones?

Kinan

Some interesting pre-E3 insider info from GSC:

Prequel got a name...censored by PR... .
First 2 levels of prequel are finished for E3 demonstration.
Faction war is working on test levels (prequel)
Decision is made and development of DX10 renderer has started and in full swing already.

Release candidate for patch 1.0004 is sent to THQ for approval. (supposedly includes float32 mod).

The M.O.B

Kinan said:
Some interesting pre-E3 insider info from GSC:

Prequel got a name...censored by PR... .
First 2 levels of prequel are finished for E3 demonstration.
Faction war is working on test levels (prequel)
Decision is made and development of DX10 renderer has started and in full swing already.

Release candidate for patch 1.0004 is sent to THQ for approval. (supposedly includes float32 mod).

EEEEEEEEEEEEE33333333333333
PLZ COME TO ME

Chiggs

Gold Member
Woo-hoo STALKER lives! Can't wait for the new patch. Will give it yet another play through. Favorite game of the year so far.

tegdf

STALKER is a great game, but the prequel is supposed to come out next spring and the sequel next fall, how the hell is that gonna happen when it took 5 years for just STALKER to come out?

Linkup

tegdf said:
STALKER is a great game, but the prequel is supposed to come out next spring and the sequel next fall, how the hell is that gonna happen when it took 5 years for just STALKER to come out?
Their engine is stable now.

KTallguy

Banned
Man, I just played through another big part of the game, the part where
you have to enter that zombie infested lab and shut down the emitter, find Ghost, and then escape through the tunnels
. Probably one of the most amazing gaming moments ever. It's so unbelievably stressful sneaking through the darkness, I'm constantly on edge, and those little sounds are getting to me. :lol

I got some bad ass new equipment, so I'm set, next is
the scorcher, which is HALFWAY across the map, crazy distances in this game

Borys

Banned
Man, nice sales for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I know it was a BIG hit here in Poland (ex-USSR country representin'!). Gotta love the feeling when a great game gets the sales it deserves.

Kinan

Borys said:
Man, nice sales for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I know it was a BIG hit here in Poland (ex-USSR country representin'!). Gotta love the feeling when a great game gets the sales it deserves.

was it published by THQ or by GSC Publishing in Poland? 500k+ number includes only GSC Publishing sales, as far as I'm aware.

syllogism

Prequel news

GSC Game World's made no secret about the need to be prepared for new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. announcements, but news that a full new irradiated shooty adventure in the pipeline is set to release in the first half of 2008 will likely raise an eyebrow or two. It's back to the Zone as we meet and greet S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky.

Revealed in the latest edition of PC Zone magazine, Clear Sky is a prequel to Shadow of Chernobyl. Without giving away too many plot for fear of spouting spoilers, it fleshes out the origins of one of the main characters in the first game who, stepping into the boots of a stalker from a rival faction this time around, you're out to kill.

According to GSC, the Zone we stalked in Shadow of Chernobyl was one of relative peace - really? - but a year earlier when Clear Sky is set the environment is far more hostile. The developer describes the area as being "agitated", with anomalies "extremely active and the landscape is vastly different to what you've seen before."

"Even the air isn't as pure as in the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - with these 'spatial bubbles' which are like confusing Möbius rings that whole expeditions of Stalkers simply can't find a way out of.", says project lead Anton Bolshakov.

PC Zone explains that Clear Sky's game world consists for 50 percent new territory and 50 percent twisted renditions of what you've played before.

Sitting comfortably with the main storyline is an AI-driven stalker war. Players will be able to ally themselves with any of eight factions and work with them to seize control of important locations and ultimately assault enemy faction bases.

Even though you may think you're a stalker god, the factions think otherwise until you prove your worth. So, you start out as a rookie and have to climb up the ranks. At the top of the ladder you'll be handed missions more intrinsic to winning the war.

It's explained that players are not forced into joining factions, but apparently the destruction of one of the primary groups is necessary to open up the main 'path' to the heart of Clear Sky's main event.

On the fixing/tweaking side, work's being done on the interface and the PDA (they need it), with AI receiving a general overall buff too to boost immersion along with physics. New monsters are a definite, and GSC's even said to be slaving away to provide a DirectX 10 version of the game, although it's not promising this will actually materialise.

The first half of 2008 then. We'll have first screenshots shortly.

Further details on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, and exclusive screenshots, can be found in an extensive preview of the game in PC Zone magazine issue 184, which goes on sale on July 19.

haowan

I'll buy that provided they don't bait-and-switch me again with
that linear FPS in the end third of the first game.

Kinan

Gamespot hands-on:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174855&pid=942067&tag=top_stories;title;4

we had a chance to compare the original game's character models to the new game's models. The Clear Sky character models are far more detailed with higher-resolution textures that render the rumpled cloth of the stalkers' bodysuits much more realistically.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is apparently scheduled for release in the early part of 2008, though no North American publishing partner has been announced. Even though developer GSC Game World had worked with THQ on the original game, the studio is actively negotiating with a variety of partners to bring the game to market.

Looks like they were not too happy with THQ.

Great game, but I didn't know about alot of these tweaks in the ini file or whatever. Is there a good list going around of recommended tweaks/all tweaks?

Runs great right now at 12x7 everything on high except AA (2x) on a X2 @ 2.7GHz, 2GB DDR2 800, SLI's dual 7800GTX 256mb.

Also, besides Float32, are there any other graphical mods out there that you guys are using?

Mau ®

WOW It looks so much better now. I wonder If I'll be able to run it now, I could barely run the original but that was most likely because of the bad coding.

Kinan

Russian magazine "Gameplay" got a nice 6 page preview of the prequel.

Some interesting points I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else:

Worldwide sales of original game were above 1 million units.

We gonna play for stalker, that was hired by "Clear Sky" organization. Yes, this faction was not in the original game, and you'll know why after you played the prequel. :)

The founders of "Clear Sky" are also participated in the creation of the Zone and closely studying it afterwards. Appearance of Strelok endangers the future of the Zone, so he must be stopped. On the other hand our protagonist suffers Psi damage with every outburst of the Zone, so he must stop Strelok fast, or he may die.

Advanced A-Life AI. NPC can now use dynamic shelters, for example, they can hide behind the crates that were scattered by an explosion few moments before.

Neutral and friendly stalkers will initiate a conversation themselves, and you can trade with practically anyone of them.

Main story is developing with ongoing struggle between 8 stalker factions. You can choose to go alone or join any of them (except military, of course). Every side has a base and a number of controlled key points, like artifact gathering places, roads, transitions between locations. You can track their gathering parties to figure out where they are getting their money from. You are not forced to join the war, there are alternative ways to get into [spolier] closed city Limansk, controlled by those gangs[/spoiler].

Main story will take you around 15 hours to complete, but if you decide to join the stalker war, add 15-20 hours to that.

Prequel looks better and running faster than the original. Code was strongly optimized, a number of new features were added. Design improved greatly, even for "old" locations.

DX10 renderer in the work, but if it will not be ready till spring, the game will ship with dx9 and dx8 renderers, they are committed to Spring 2008 release.

6 new weapons will be added, including RKM (hand held machine-gun). Upgrade mechanics gonna change. Normal weapons are not upgradeable anymore but the rare ones will get more upgrade options. Basically they want to avoid you changing guns immediately after you got a newer one, so you old trusty one you put a lot of effort on will still be a viably choice.

You will be able to hold 2 items in hands, like detector and a gun. Dual gun wielding is most likely out of the question.

You will be allowed to use vehicles in multiplayer. And only in multiplayer.

New, more dangerous types of monsters and anomalies. Some of anomalies can be only seen with detectors, there will be levitating monsters and some will be able to teleport.

Ok, thats about it.

Leonsito

Sounds great, in the Spanish preview they also mention that a new city will be added and that you are gonna be able to visit the Prypiat's catacombs (OMG), this game is a prequel about Strelok's secret way to Chernobyl's nucleus.

Kinan

Leonsito said:
Sounds great, in the Spanish preview they also mention that a new city will be added and that you are gonna be able to visit the Prypiat's catacombs (OMG), this game is a prequel about Strelok's secret way to Chernobyl's nucleus.

Yea, except this time you are playing against Strelok. :)

Sullen

Couple of questions for you guys:

Did the 1.3 patch **** up lighting for anyone else? Game ran perfect for me with all settings maxed (using 8800 gtx) but after installing the 1.3 patch, all the light sources in the game flicker constantly.

Is there any mod or cheat or something that can let me have more inventory space? or infinite space or something. I'm getting tired of filling up, having to run my ass all the way back to the merchant, etc. Its really ****ing annoying.

Top Bottom