• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

purg3

slept with Malkin
I'm about to install this game now, are there still performance issues ? After I download the latest patch, are there any other updates or fixes I need?

Aaron

purg3 said:
I'm about to install this game now, are there still performance issues ? After I download the latest patch, are there any other updates or fixes I need?
I was running 1.0004 and had only a few minor issues. Things are probably better with the newer patch. It still requires something of a beast to run at the highest settings, but lower settings will be smooth on a decent PC.

After Crysis I'm really not too impressed with the graphics engine in STALKER.

Also, it's pretty hard to get into and takes a while before you are able to reach a state of badassedness.

Solideliquid said:
After Crysis I'm really not too impressed with the graphics engine in STALKER.

Also, it's pretty hard to get into and takes a while before you are able to reach a state of badassedness.

Actually STALKER does some things even the might Crysis doesn't. Well...one, that I can think of. Absolutely EVERY light casts correct dynamic soft shadows from EVERY object. For example, weapons cause grass to cast proper shadows from the light from the muzzle flash. I'm pretty sure Crysis does not do that. I know that, atleast on High, grass does not cast shadows from your flashlight.

It lacks the screen-space ambient occlusion that really gives Crysis's lighting it's pop, though, so Crysis is still the obvious overall winner in the lighting category...but I was really surprised when I saw just how dynamic the shadows were in stalker.

madmook

Hmmm I just noticed that there was a 1.0005 patch released. The link from the official website took me to fileplanet, which oddly seems to be the only place that has the patch for download. The only thing on the changelist is graphics performance optimization, but that's always a welcome thing to have. :lol

Edit: nm, I just installed the patch, and the changelog only shows a fix for multiplayer. 1.0004 was the one that had the performance optimizations.

Aaron

hauton said:
Are there any good mods for this game?

First time I played this it was a wreck. Kinda fun, but still a wreck.
A bunch. Check the message board of the official site. There's a whole section for them. I don't have a link, but it should be easy to find.

Atilac

Is it possible to "give" a gun to an NPC? Some cracka suggested I hand better weapons to the noobies singing around the camp fire. I'm perplexed.

Atilac

I hate to bump, but god only knows when this will get moving again.
Anyone gonna get Clear Skies on day1? steam for me.

tmaynard

Okay, I've been playing this for around 5 hours now. I really enjoy the game, but it's so damn buggy that I can't even finish missions. I'm supposed to save someone, and then I do and nothing happens so I continuously have this target on my map telling me to save someone who has already been saved. Sometimes talking to someone is supposed to trigger something, but it doesn't and I have to keep reloading and trying again and again. I've also failed the same mission 4 times without even knowing I was on that mission. I've got the latest patch, so I'm as bug free as I can be.

Fun game, but for the love of god why all the bugs?

tmaynard

Well, for example, I have to save Mole. I save him, it acknowledges it. I go to him to "get my reward" and nothing. I search the area for more enemies in case they bugged out. Nothing. So, I move on.

I just got finished running through this other place and I notice that the Save Mole task is still on my list. So, I head back. Enemies have "respawned" and when I get around 30 yards away from where he is, they always kill him. So the "task failed" warning pops up, yet the task still tells me to save him.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that sounds pretty buggy to me.

I can't figure it out. :(

Armitage

Just bought this on Steam, it was too tempting for just $20.

Keeps saying "steam servers are too busy to handle your request though" :|

While the thread is back from the dead, some DX10 screens of Clear Skies

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&article_id=635950&image_id=790513

23m0vf6.jpg

of0a9w.jpg

kf0a2p.jpg

randomwab

I was checking Steam for a Clear Sky release date earlier and it's saying May, is this true? I've reinstalled STALKER again to finish the game. Heading back to the barkeep after X16. I forgot how amazing this game it. I'm hooked again.

randomwab

TemplaerDude said:
x16 is such a fucking bitch.

I didn't find it too hard, though I had a shit load of Shotgun ammo (was collecting it even though I didn't have a shotgun in my inventory) so I was able to breeze through it. I really have to be careful sometimes, I often forget to save, and it's not until i'm about to die before I think "Shit, Medipack, SHIT, SAVE!".

Vaporak

Atilac said:
I hate to bump, but god only knows when this will get moving again.
Anyone gonna get Clear Skies on day1? steam for me.

Yeah same here, Day 1 steam purchase for me. I only recently bought STALKER off of steam because I had heard so many good things about it, and man, was I ever impressed. :D I love that the game content is structured more like a wRPG as opposed to the corridor shooter design that is so prevalent.

Alts

Question.
I am carrying around a ton of crap on my character. Can I pick a stash somewhere, and just start storing my extra items, or will they disappear?

Bömb

Alts said:
Question.
I am carrying around a ton of crap on my character. Can I pick a stash somewhere, and just start storing my extra items, or will they disappear?

Yes, you can.
I'm pretty sure you can just put in on the ground and it wont disapear.:D

Zenith

Banned

dLMN8R

Bömb said:
Yes, you can.
I'm pretty sure you can just put in on the ground and it wont disapear.:D
It's true. I've dropped 20 things of ammo on the ground in one area before, played for another 3-4 hours entering and leaving that area a few times, and the ammo was still there when I got back.

LiveWire

Just wanted to drop some more praise for this game. Fantastic, fantastic world they created. Very immersive, on the level of Bioshock (if not better?). Just came across the arena duels, very tough (but not impossible) on the hardest difficulty level. I assume there's some greater reward (other than money) for completing them all?

RJT

Just started, and so far I'm very impressed. The first mission was fantastic (taking out a few guys that had taken an hostage).

FPS + Openworld + RPG elements = win

Advice I need: should I check any mod or patch before I get too much into it? Also, what difficulty level do you recommend? I don't want to die every 2 minutes, but I do want a challenge...

Aaron

RJT said:
Just started, and so far I'm very impressed. The first mission was fantastic (taking out a few guys that had taken an hostage).

FPS + Openworld + RPG elements = win

Advice I need: should I check any mod or patch before I get too much into it? Also, what difficulty level do you recommend? I don't want to die every 2 minutes, but I do want a challenge...
Save games are compatible between the original versions and the later patches, so patch now while it's less of a pain to start over.

voltron

Aaron said:
Save games are compatible between the original versions and the later patches, so patch now while it's less of a pain to start over.

Oh fuck you, really? That blows man. Blows hard.

Im about 3hrs in and havent patched yet. Totally forgot.

Aaron

voltron said:
Oh fuck you, really? That blows man. Blows hard.

Im about 3hrs in and havent patched yet. Totally forgot.
I think you can patch up to 1.0003 before it screws saves. Check the readme file. Though if you can stomach it, definitely go with the newest version. There's so many fixes and improvements it's pretty crazy.

Prime crotch said:
Is that Clear Sky?! Wow!

Yezzzir!

Deepblue said:
Clear Sky's hitting consoles right?

Do want.

Well to restore some hope for you...

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Dev GSC Certified For Xbox 360

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Dev GSC Certified For Xbox 360 Ukraine-based GSC Game World (American Conquest, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl) has announced its certification by Microsoft as an Xbox 360 developer, receiving the necessary tools and support from Microsoft to develop games for Xbox 360.

GSC Game World previously developed multimedia encyclopedias and edutainment programs in Russia and Ukraine before it began focusing solely on game technology and computer game development. The company's first project was the historical real-time strategy title Cossacks: European Wars, released in 2000.

The company says the focus on console and multiplatform games is new for them, but stresses that it will continue "paying maximum attention" to the PC platform. Previous GSC titles include Back to War, American Conquest, American Conquest: Fight Back, Alexander, and Cossacks II: Napoleonic Wars.

GSC Game World CEO Sergiy Grygorovych said, "We are happy to say the big efforts of our company aimed to obtain the official Xbox 360 developer status now ended with success. Obtaining such a status for an independent developer based in ex-USSR means a lot - it took us over 2 years to get. We are very thankful to Microsoft for the assistance and high esteem of our team's professionalism."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16362

Top Bottom