• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Kinan said:
Prequel looks better and running faster than the original. Code was strongly optimized, a number of new features were added. Design improved greatly, even for "old" locations.

Buy confirmed.
That's all I needed to know :)

Kinan

Sullen said:
Couple of questions for you guys:

Is there any mod or cheat or something that can let me have more inventory space? or infinite space or something. I'm getting tired of filling up, having to run my ass all the way back to the merchant, etc. Its really ****ing annoying.

There are some, yes. Though most elegant solution is to drag a corpse loaded with goodies to a merchant. :)

E3 video of Clear Sky:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/82961.html?playlist=featured

TEH-CJ

Banned
madmook said:
No leveling. This isn't a RPG.

Oh ok thought so thanks

and also i have to add...

this is hands down the most frustrating and flawed fps ever made..

there is no reason in this world that no 1 would go down with 2 shots of a sawoff straight in the face...i mean wtf o_O

great atmosphere tho

So, I want to reinstall STALKER and play from the point I saved the last time a couple of months ago.

Now, I'm unsure if I can update the game with the latest patch so I won't lose my savegame (because I heard something like this when the first or second patch came out).
Unfortunately I don't know if it was the first or second patch I used with my old savegame.

How can I update the game correctly and still use my old sg?

I have a 20inch iMac, it only has a ATI 2600 HD Pro, but it has 3GB ram and 2.4 dual core. How well would it run the game and is it worth picking up now that the patches are released?

Cheers

Banned
Paranoid_Robot said:
I have a 20inch iMac, it only has a ATI 2600 HD Pro, but it has 3GB ram and 2.4 dual core. How well would it run the game and is it worth picking up now that the patches are released?

Cheers
You should be able to run is in DX8 mode without any problems. Doesn't have the fancy lighting or bumpmapping, but it still looks decent. Don't know how well the DX9 renderer would work, but I'm guessing it won't be great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I tried this out on my new PC as well and was shocked to find that I could run it with every single setting maxed out (DX9 full lighting included) with 4x AA and 8x AF and motion blur...and the PC holds a rock solid 60 fps. I honsetly didn't expect that after hearing how slow the game was running. I mean, it was smooth on my old PC using much lower settings (no dynamic lighting), but DX9 would drop the framerate to sub-10 fps previously.

The game really does look different with DX9, however. Without dynamic shadows and HDR, the game feels VERY dark and dreary (not necessarily a bad thing), but I never realized it was supposed to be sunset during the intro areas. :p

I just picked this up on Steam and while it looks like something I'd enjoy, it made me want to vomit within 15 minutes. It literally made me nauseated. I've been playing FPS for 15 years now and this is the first time a game has made me sick.

I think it's related to the head bobbing? Why does your character walk like he has two peg legs anyways? Anyone know of an easy way to turn it off.

Harvey Hedonist said:
I just picked this up on Steam and while it looks like something I'd enjoy, it made me want to vomit within 15 minutes. It literally made me nauseated. I've been playing FPS for 15 years now and this is the first time a game has made me sick.

I think it's related to the head bobbing? Why does your character walk like he has two peg legs anyways? Anyone know of an easy way to turn it off.
Is it so bad that you can't continue? The game had the same effect on me but after playing for a good hour or so, it went away.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
I was just about to pick this up. I'm not super prone to vomit gaming, but Marathon makes me want to hurl due to the excessive bobbing. Let me know if this clears up for you. Ugh.

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
I tried this out on my new PC as well and was shocked to find that I could run it with every single setting maxed out (DX9 full lighting included) with 4x AA and 8x AF and motion blur...and the PC holds a rock solid 60 fps. I honsetly didn't expect that after hearing how slow the game was running. I mean, it was smooth on my old PC using much lower settings (no dynamic lighting), but DX9 would drop the framerate to sub-10 fps previously.

The game really does look different with DX9, however. Without dynamic shadows and HDR, the game feels VERY dark and dreary (not necessarily a bad thing), but I never realized it was supposed to be sunset during the intro areas. :p

See, that's why I think you should love PC gaming. Fine, new games run like ass on new systems most of the time but 1-2 years later when one upgrades... boy, what a difference. It's amazing how new systems handle one-two year old games. I wonder how will Crysis run on nVidia's 9XXX series of cards.

It sucks that consoles can't do that but it sucks EVEN MORE that Backwards Compatibility is being turned into "BUY THE SAME GAME AGAIN FROM OUR DOWNLOAD SERVICE!". Before the PS3 launched I was hoping I would be able to play all my PS2 games in HD with rock-solid 60 fps. Too bad it doesn't work that way and the only way to play them in that res/ framerate is on a QuadCore machine under emulation :/

Dibbz

I've never understood how people can get sick by head bobing in games. Hell some people even get sick if the FoV isn't perfect. :|

Wierd.

It's nuts this game sold over 1 million world wide. I thought it just fell of the face of the earth since everyone was bashing it to begin with :/

Can't wait for Clear Sky. Hope they have sorted out the engine so the game will run fairly decent on my rig.

Also how the hell do you even enable AA? The slider does absolutely nothing. :|

So yea I tried to play again, and ugh. It makes me sick pretty quickly. I had to turn it off.

I do have strep throat and am on antibiotics, but I played CS:S yesterday and this morning with no problems. Levaquin + head bobbing = nauseated? I'm not sure yet, I'll try again in a couple days :)

EDIT: Hrmmm...

This drug has similar side effects to all the other fluoroquinolone antibiotics. The most common side effects include: Nausea, stomach upset, loss of appetite, diarrhea, drowsiness, dizziness, headache, or trouble sleeping.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dibbz said:
I've never understood how people can get sick by head bobing in games. Hell some people even get sick if the FoV isn't perfect. :|

Wierd.

Marathon on the 360 is the only game to ever make my stomach turn (insert joke here). I think it was a combination of resolution, FOV, framerate, and the dreaded bob.

dark10x

Borys said:
See, that's why I think you should love PC gaming. Fine, new games run like ass on new systems most of the time but 1-2 years later when one upgrades... boy, what a difference. It's amazing how new systems handle one-two year old games. I wonder how will Crysis run on nVidia's 9XXX series of cards.

It sucks that consoles can't do that but it sucks EVEN MORE that Backwards Compatibility is being turned into "BUY THE SAME GAME AGAIN FROM OUR DOWNLOAD SERVICE!". Before the PS3 launched I was hoping I would be able to play all my PS2 games in HD with rock-solid 60 fps. Too bad it doesn't work that way and the only way to play them in that res/ framerate is on a QuadCore machine under emulation :/
*cries*

I'm so sorry Borys, you were right. I'm loving PC gaming so much again. It feels like coming back to an old friend.

I missed 60 fps. :( Every single game I've thrown at my PC has run at 60 (with the exception of Crysis, which actually runs very smoothly anyways). The image quality is so good too. Even Source engine games run like butter.

Carl2282

Any game where I can on accident knife the guy in the chest thats supposed to give me a quest deserves some credit. The only problem this game makes me feel like i'm a retard. Also that headbobing does suck

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
*cries*

I'm so sorry Borys, you were right. I'm loving PC gaming so much again. It feels like coming back to an old friend.

Until the next game comes and chugs on your system. I felt the same pain for 4 year now. Luckily I've upgraded yesterday and cannot be happier !!!

dark10x said:
Even Source engine games run like
butter.

Source is old. It should be running ultra-fast now.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
got it a few days ago on steam because of the sale... Still need to get into it, as it's a deep game I figure, but I think once I put some good time into it I'll enjoy it.

dark10x

Borys said:
Until the next game comes and chugs on your system. I felt the same pain for 4 year now. Luckily I've upgraded yesterday and cannot be happier !!!

Source is old. It should be running ultra-fast now.
I'll be staying more up to date now, I think.

Still, I doubt that will happen for a while simply because there have been no games on the horizon demonstrated with visuals approaching Crysis. That engine will remain the king for quite a while. I mean, UE3 still has a lot of life left and id tech 5 is designed to run at high speeds. CryEngine2 will stand alone as the top tier graphics engine for a while, I think.

Xdrive05

Guys, I'm thinking about getting this with the Steam sale. Have they fixed a lot of the bugs that the game launched with? It used to crash a lot on my bud's system.

Also, it played like absolute crap on his 6800gt when he turned the settings up, but I have an 8800gt, dual core, 2gig RAM system so I assume I can max it. Does that sound about right?

Finally, would you recommend this game to someone who plays these kind of games casually if at all? I haven't even finished Bioshock because I can't get myself to stay focused on it long enough. Is STALKER too committal for me?

EDIT: STALKER vs The Witcher. Which would you recommend and why?

dark10x

Xdrive05 said:
Guys, I'm thinking about getting this with the Steam sale. Have they fixed a lot of the bugs that the game launched with? It used to crash a lot on my bud's system.

Also, it played like absolute crap on his 6800gt when he turned the settings up, but I have an 8800gt, dual core, 2gig RAM system so I assume I can max it. Does that sound about right?

Finally, would you recommend this game to someone who plays these kind of games casually if at all? I haven't even finished Bioshock because I can't get myself to stay focused on it long enough. Is STALKER too committal for me?

You can't finish Bioshock?! I dunno if either game is for you then. STALKER is not really a shooter in the traditional sense and requires a lot of patience, I think. From the demo, The Witcher probably isn't up your alley either.

Xdrive05 said:
Guys, I'm thinking about getting this with the Steam sale. Have they fixed a lot of the bugs that the game launched with? It used to crash a lot on my bud's system. Also, it played like absolute crap on his 6800gt when he turned the settings up, but I have an 8800gt, dual core, 2gig RAM system so I assume I can max it. Does that sound about right? Finally, would you recommend this game to someone who plays these kind of games casually if at all? I haven't even finished Bioshock because I can't get myself to stay focused on it long enough. Is STALKER too committal for me? EDIT: STALKER vs The Witcher. Which would you recommend and why?
If you've got a problem taking the 10 or so minutes it takes to find out, memorize/familiarize yourself with all the keys and mechanics you're going to have a problem.

Hm, I just booted it up and decided to bump up some of the settings (I currently use Medium, Static Lighting and get anywhere from 50-100+ fps) I changed it to Object dynamic lighting and adjusting some of the advanced settings.

I restarted the game and now it won't even start up :|
I just get a black screen

epmode

I suppose I could check a FAQ but I'd prefer not to have anything ruined..

I started this last night, seems interesting but I have a question: What are those little pockets of visual distortion? An alarm started beeping when I got close to one. I know that there's radiation everywhere and that it keeps you from wandering too far, but I think this is something different.

epmode said:

I started this last night, seems interesting but I have a question: What are those little pockets of visual distortion? An alarm started beeping when I got close to one. I know that there's radiation everywhere and that it keeps you from wandering too far, but I think this is something different.

They're anomalies. Try to stay away from them.

Xdrive05 said:

If you don't have the patience for Bioshock then STALKER is definitely NOT the game for you. It's like oblivion meets fear, set in a very condemned like atmosphere, if you've played those.

Druz

WHOAguitarninja said:
If you don't have the patience for Bioshock then STALKER is definitely NOT the game for you. It's like oblivion meets fear, set in a very condemned like atmosphere, if you've played those.

How is STALKER even a little like Oblivion? It's Far Cry before Oblivion.

Druz

It's a canned off play area and inventory management can be applied to any game ever to have inventory.

Calling it Oblivion provokes massive images of boredom.

Have they fixed the stealth issues? Those were the only things keeping me from enjoying this game.

There was this one mission to kill someone near the BAR, but even with the silenced pistol or the knife, I always set off the alarms and get caught.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm going through steam right now (thanks to the sale) and buying all the games on there I plan on playing in advance of getting my new laptop. I'd really like to check this out, but I have no idea how it would run on my future rig. Here's the specs:

Intel® Core™2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz w/4MB L2 On-die cache - 800MHz FSB
512MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 8800GTX DX10
4,096MB DDR2 667 PC2 5300 (2 SODIMMS) Dual Channel Memory

I looked at the recommended specs, but being totally ignorant when it comes to the hierarchy of the various components performance wise, I have no idea how good/bad this is. Can anyone give me a decent estimate of how it will run?

Banned
RoboGeorgeForeman said:
Have they fixed the stealth issues? Those were the only things keeping me from enjoying this game.

There was this one mission to kill someone near the BAR, but even with the silenced pistol or the knife, I always set off the alarms and get caught.
I've not spent much time with the game, but I started playing using the latest patch, found a silenced pistol, and did the whole first mission, only being detected by 1/2 enemies at the end of it, so I guess they've fixed things.

However, if you load up a quick-save, it does seem to alert anything in range for some reason.

EDIT: Traveler, I'm running it at 30-60fps on a MacBook Pro with a 2.33GHz Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, 256MB X1600 Mobility. It should run fine on that.

traveler said:
I'm going through steam right now (thanks to the sale) and buying all the games on there I plan on playing in advance of getting my new laptop. I'd really like to check this out, but I have no idea how it would run on my future rig. Here's the specs:

I looked at the recommended specs, but being totally ignorant when it comes to the hierarchy of the various components performance wise, I have no idea how good/bad this is. Can anyone give me a decent estimate of how it will run?

Should be good to go with everything on.

i have played very little, but i remember trying the game with static lighting and medium setting for a friend with a 6600GT, i remember the step down was noticeable but in seconds i got sucked into the game and no longer cared about graphics.

Borys

Banned
traveler said:

Shit, dude, that rig will play Crysis without a sweat. You are absolutely 100% ready to play STALKER and every other PC game released so far. Most of the 2008 stuff will run great on that machine also.

Cryect

Dibbz said:

The FOV on almost every FPS in existence is too wide, so I always find it interesting when people complain about FPS's that try to decrease the FOV closer to the proper FOV for a screen and it makes them sick. For the proper FOV to be say 90 degrees as is often considered "correct" you should be half the width of the screen away from the center of the screen which is damn close. Heh but oh well the issue with smaller FOV's is the true speed your character is moving becomes a lot more obvious and hard to track which is likely what causes the issue :-/

Druz said:
It's a canned off play area and inventory management can be applied to any game ever to have inventory.

Calling it Oblivion provokes massive images of boredom.

Not really. The whole manner in which you can't carry over a certain amount of weight, buying/selling items, side quests, going into town, talking to people to get leads on things...it's VERY Oblivion esque. The only real difference is the setting and the fact that they section off areas and don't make it one seamless world, and the lack of leveling. Far Cry is quite open yet it's still completely linear, without giving you any real option to go around talking to people and getting sidequests.

Proc

Does the retail box offer anything good that I will miss out on if I order it through Steam? I was in best buy today and it said something on the front of the box, "exclusive multiplayer map only found in bestbuy", or something to that effect.

Aaron

Proc said:
Does the retail box offer anything good that I will miss out on if I order it through Steam? I was in best buy today and it said something on the front of the box, "exclusive multiplayer map only found in bestbuy", or something to that effect.
Nope. The map codes are on gamefaqs and they're not really worth it.

Top Bottom