• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

I think current STALKER would be a total flop on the 360. Not the kind of hardcore FPS that the platform is known for. Besides the multiplayer is very standart.

Deepblue

Banned
Prime crotch said:
I think current STALKER would be a total flop on the 360. Not the kind of hardcore FPS that the platform is known for. Besides the multiplayer is very standart.
I think a lot of 360 owners would love it. Atmospheric, realistic, and RPG elements wrapped up in a tasty shooter package. Or maybe I'm the only one.

Definitely, the minute I put this game in, all I could think of was that this game was made for PC gamers, straight up, nothing console about it. The learning curve alone would make it a difficult transition to the console market.

Deepblue said:
I think a lot of 360 owners would love it. Atmospheric, realistic, and RPG elements wrapped up in a tasty shooter package. Or maybe I'm the only one.
Some would enjoy it, but I'm pretty sure the majority would hate the inaccurate realistic shooting, the constant dying, the very "Eastern European" game feel to it. There's just a lot working agaisnt a STALKER port, so at most they'll make a new game for consoles.

Some nice rain drop business.

Stalker_Clear_Sky_2023.JPG

Scipius

Alright, I'm finally starting S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but one thing is bugging me:

Is there a way to rewatch the opening movie? I saw it once when I installed the game during the New Year, but whenever I start a new game now I begin right at the Trader. I don't meant the logo clips and such, but the story-related stuff. I have the Steamed version by the way.

tegdf

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky comes out Aug. 29

"GSC Game World, computer games developer, its publishing subdivision GSC World Publishing and Koch Media, a leading marketer of video games, today announced the planned release date for the title S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky. According to the agreed plan, the game will ship August 29, 2008 worldwide. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky will be published by the games labels Deep Silver and GSC World Publishing."

http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=2

traveler

Not Wario
I'm about to finally start this and I seem to recall there being some essential mod I need to download first. What is it and how do I get it working with my Steam copy of Stalker?

Dibbz

Oh shit a release date for Clear Sky?! It's about damn time. Aug 29th should be sweet. I need to get my rig up to speed though by then :(

PillowKnight said:
Lame, water doesn't really act like that, seeing that in-game would probably take me out of the experience. Although, that's only because it looks so realistic.
Seeing anomalies in the first game so took me out of the experience. What an unrealistic game. Two thumbs down.

Act like what? It's one single screen.

Kuran

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
Seeing anomalies in the first game so took me out of the experience. What an unrealistic game. Two thumbs down.

Act like what? It's one single screen.

What the fuck?

Also: Gorgeous screens! Have the system requirements been upped a lot? Or perhaps these are all Direct X 10 effects?

Edit: Yep, looks like I'll have to install Vista on this Mac..

Atilac

RJT said:
Just started, and so far I'm very impressed. The first mission was fantastic (taking out a few guys that had taken an hostage).

FPS + Openworld + RPG elements = win

Advice I need: should I check any mod or patch before I get too much into it? Also, what difficulty level do you recommend? I don't want to die every 2 minutes, but I do want a challenge...
The "Alive" mod is what I roll with, I like being able to repair weapons and armor. They also do some bug fixes, increased weather effects (I think so anyway), and they randomize more stuff (Like walking by and discovering Duty and bandits having a skirmish by a levels border).

calder

I got my new computer yesterday (yay) and I'm playing STALKER obviously. Quite like it, great atmosphere and looks very nice dialed up.

But that head bob is killing me. I've looked online but google keeps giving me pages of ppl saying "wow that's a lot of fucking head bob" and a few threads with people giving cfg fixes for it that don't seem to do anything when I try. Is there an easy way to turn that shit off, or at least way way down?

Scipius

But that head bob is killing me.

Yeah, there are certain settings that control head bobbing in the .ltx files, not sure why they don't work. There's also some mods and mod packs that allow some control over this.

But to be honest, when I started playing it bugged me as well, and I couldn't believe this was not a readily adjustable setting. By mid-game I no longer noticed it and by the end-game, when sniping really comes into play, you start to appreciate this pseudo-realistic quirk in a game full of them.

I decided to replay the game right now, but I am curious if there are any fan patches or mods that are worth checking out for this playthrough.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright, so the tech for this is really impressive. Any way that they are releasing an engine upgrade for the first Stalker? I mean i would love to play both with consistent graphics.

So so far i have this game, Spore, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and Crysis Warhead that might compel me to upgrade my PC. I think a respectable list is being formed.

dLMN8R

I doubt they'd back-port all the changes. That would be an absolutely massive patch for really no benefit to them at all. Sequels, prequels, whatever they are - followup games on the same engine almost never mean a patch for the previous games, except for in rare cases like Valve's Source engine games.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm pretty excited about this game

Stalker was a huge surprise to me, I figured after being in development hell for so long, it would turn out to be pure shit

Turns out it was a diamond, encrusted with dirt :D

It had some rough edges to be sure, but the core game was fantastic, wonderfully atmospheric and enjoyable to play.

If I'm right, Clear Skies will be much more what they want it to be, rather than what Stalker turned out to be. Plus, more experienced team with a success under their belt, time to do it right, already established tech, etcetc.

Granted, they could still fumble, but I'm looking forward to it.

Linkzg said:
I decided to replay the game right now, but I am curious if there are any fan patches or mods that are worth checking out for this playthrough.
Not really, I mean there are some tweaking mods, one that removes all the NPCs and all but nothing you really NEED like Oblivion.

Korranator

Anyone still playing this?

Finally got around to playing Stalker.

I don't play FPS very often, I generally only pick up those that stand out from the rest. A little slow so far, but I can see the potential, and the AI owns me. I'll take any newbie tips...

BTW this game was a pain in the ass to get running on Vista 32. Trying to copy and paste files into program directories, which was a waste of time. I finally figured out the quick fix though. Upgrade to SP1, patch up to the lastest patch and disable SLI.

Yeah I just started a new file, actually a game that takes some skill to play. The first mission I got I just charged in, guns a'blaze...yeah doesn't work. I like having to actually take your time and plan out your shots as you don't want to waste ammo and whatnot.

I started normal, going to go through on the hardest difficulty after I get a hang of it all.

Korranator said:
Anyone still playing this?

Finally got around to playing Stalker.

I don't play FPS very often, I generally only pick up those that stand out from the rest. A little slow so far, but I can see the potential, and the AI owns me. I'll take any newbie tips...
Use cover and take your time with each shot, the first few weapons are very inaccurate.

Mr.City

I've been playing this game again since Clear Skies is coming out soon, and I've been hearing that people have run into problems trying to mod the steam version. Has anyone here tried modding the steam version?

Vaporak

Mr.City said:
I've been playing this game again since Clear Skies is coming out soon, and I've been hearing that people have run into problems trying to mod the steam version. Has anyone here tried modding the steam version?

I haven't tried modding mine, sorry. :/
But in honor of bumping this thread I will say that STALKER is the best FPS I have ever played. Everyone with the slightest interest in a game that involves combat should play it.

Decado

Is this coming out in 2008? Did they show it at E3...and most importantly, are they adding character/enemy model damage back in for Clear Skies?

Decado said:
Is this coming out in 2008? Did they show it at E3...and most importantly, are they adding character/enemy model damage back in for Clear Skies?

Yeah, Clear Sky is coming out at the end of August. Don't know about your other questions!

armubaba

Hey guys, I was about to pick this up for 20$ on Steam, but I read a review that essentially said there were a ton of bugs if you were playing on Vista. Unfortunately, the new computer I have runs, well, Vista. Have these bugs been patched? Is it "safe" to play now? Thanks.

armubaba said:
Hey guys, I was about to pick this up for 20$ on Steam, but I read a review that essentially said there were a ton of bugs if you were playing on Vista. Unfortunately, the new computer I have runs, well, Vista. Have these bugs been patched? Is it "safe" to play now? Thanks.

I bought it off steam a few weeks ago and played through 90% with little to no problems. (I have Vista)

Fatbot

Banned
Stalker is coming to GameTap now that the THQ deal was announced. No word on when but that would be a cheap way to try to play it if you're on the fence.

I just go this game off of Steam, liking it quite a bit. Any general tips? I'm sucking it up quite badly.

Also, performance. The game runs pretty well on my system with fairly high settings, except during thunderstorms. Lightning absolutely kills my FPS, which is unfortunate, because it's a really neat effect. I'm assuming it has to do with the way it dynamically lights and creates shadows on the entire environment, and turning down the shadow settings would probably help.

...except I don't want to do that because it's fine otherwise. Any way to tone down the lightning?

zam

Upgraded my PC recently and one of the games I got was Stalker, man this game is awesome, only just started though, haven't gotten farther than rescuing Nimble..

madmook

SenseiJinx said:
Any way to tone down the lightning?
What type of lighting are you using in the game? Static, object dynamic or full dynamic?

Static lighting uses only directx 8 rendering and of course is least gpu-intensive.

madmook said:
What type of lighting are you using in the game? Static, object dynamic or full dynamic?

Static lighting uses only directx 8 rendering and of course is least gpu-intensive.

I'm using full dynamic. I could naturally choose one of the other options to improve it, but I don't see why -- my frame rate is perfectly fine (generally) in scenes without lightning. I don't want to tone down the entire game for one effect.

Top Bottom