• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

JavaMava

Is there a mod that will auto-save? I get so into this game I forget to do it and get sent back 30min+ all the time. It's really demoralizing.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I just picked this up this week (along with a 8800gt card - I like!) and so far it seems very cool. So far is like 10 minutes into it.

I don't even know how to save. :D I guess I could look in the manual. I'm surprised how the game gets right into it. Even the first battle is intense.

Nice to see this thread pop up today. Good timing.

Onemic

Truelize said:
I just picked this up this week (along with a 8800gt card - I like!) and so far it seems very cool. So far is like 10 minutes into it.

I don't even know how to save. :D I guess I could look in the manual. I'm surprised how the game gets right into it. Even the first battle is intense.

Nice to see this thread pop up today. Good timing.

Just wait till you get to the underground lab. Scariest shit ever.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
onemic said:

I suck at scary games. I've only just started this, but I can tell that it's going to freak the shit out of me.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
onemic said:

Ah nice. I didn't even know it had any scary bits to it. I really don't have a clue what I bought. I just heard so many positive remarks on GFW that I figured it would be a good pickup.

Broseybrose

SenseiJinx said:
Any answers to my questions? Lighting and general tips...
this was one of my top 5 games of 07, never noticed any problems with the graphics or framerate except for the fact that i had to use software AA and couldnt force it through NVCP... with an 8800GTX @1920x1200 my frames were 50-150 depending on what was going on...

what gpu are you using and what res are you playing? if youre using an 8 series nvidia card or better, the only 'tips' i can think of is make sure you set AA/AF to "application controlled" in NVCP and max out the in-game settings.

edit- crap, i totally forgot about the float32 mod... it makes the darks darker, brights brighter, improves overall atmosphere and improves framerates too... install that mod IMMEDIATELY :) just google float32. i couldnt see playing the game without it.

I'm running at 1680x1050 on a Radeon x1900GT. Yes, I know it isn't the greatest card, but it runs just about every game well for me. The only one it's had troubles with is Crysis.

But anyway, I'm running at that res with fairly high specs and getting a fairly steady 30 FPS in most instances, but whenever lightning strikes it goes down to about 5.

(Also, I'm not using any AA. I know that you have to force it externally, and it's really not a big deal for me. At that resolution the exchange of FPS for graphical fidelity is way too small.)

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Truelize said:
Ah nice. I didn't even know it had any scary bits to it. I really don't have a clue what I bought. I just heard so many positive remarks on GFW that I figured it would be a good pickup.

I think that's the best way to come into the game. I'm a bit the same - I've read the manual for backstory, and I've heard GFW talking about it, but that's all I know. And I really love going into games like that.

Broseybrose

SenseiJinx said:
I'm running at 1680x1050 on a Radeon x1900GT. Yes, I know it isn't the greatest card, but it runs just about every game well for me. The only one it's had troubles with is Crysis.

But anyway, I'm running at that res with fairly high specs and getting a fairly steady 30 FPS in most instances, but whenever lightning strikes it goes down to about 5.

(Also, I'm not using any AA. I know that you have to force it externally, and it's really not a big deal for me. At that resolution the exchange of FPS for graphical fidelity is way too small.)
no, you cannot force it externally (at least i couldnt), you have to use the in-game AA if you want AA. but like i said, float32 makes the game better and improves framerates... please do give it a try. best graphical mod ive ever come across.

Broseybrose

alistairw said:
I think that's the best way to come into the game. I'm a bit the same - I've read the manual for backstory, and I've heard GFW talking about it, but that's all I know. And I really love going into games like that.
yes, i was also completely caught off guard by the 'scares'... and that IS the best way. float32 makes it even more creppy... everyone should install it.

Broseybrose said:
no, you cannot force it externally (at least i couldnt), you have to use the in-game AA if you want AA. but like i said, float32 makes the game better and improves framerates... please do give it a try. best graphical mod ive ever come across.

Hm, thought I'd read that the in-game AA didn't work. Oh well. Doesn't bother me either way, because I don't really mind if it's off or on. :)

Anyway, I'll definitely check out that float32 mod, thanks. I usually like to play games vanilla first, but in a game like this or Oblivion graphical mods can be really necessary.

Onemic

Truelize said:

The game is a horror game through and through.

Looking at your post though, it seems like you like that genre, so you made a lucky purchase then.

dLMN8R

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the game! I've played through it twice and can offer some basic tips.

1) The weaponry at the beginning of the game sucks. Make sure you don't ever try to run and gun until you get some much better weapons, many hours into the game.

2) Always do a low-crouch if you can, and aim for the head. Torso shots do practically nothing, especially with underpowered weapons, and even less when you face off against heavier armored people

3) When you come to the first bridge with the military checkpoint early in the game, you probably won't be able to kill them. You can instead bribe them so they'll let you pass. Next time you see them, you should have a nice rifle or submachinegun and you can take those bastards down!

4) In the first underground area (maybe second? I think it's the first), you'll find a lair belonging to an important character. Look around closely and you'll be able to find an AK rifle with an immensely sped-up rate of fire. It's extremely deadly, especially if you find a scope to go along with it later in the game.

5) Look around for bluish-gray metal containers, shaped somewhat like a briefcase! You can open them with your knife, and they often contain health, ammo, or other goodies. I didn't notice these things at all until late into my first playthrough, and they would've been very helpful otherwise.

6) Pick up mostly every weapon you come to - oftentimes you can right-click it in your inventory and unload it to get extra ammo. Then you can drop the weapon again unless you want it.

That's about all that popped into my head for now. Happy playing!

dLMN8R said:
When you come to the first bridge with the military checkpoint early in the game, you probably won't be able to kill them. You can instead ...

or keep an eye out for the alternate route ;)

just started another play of this myself

Egg Shen

Just my own notes to the great suggestions listed above on getting started in STALKER:

dLMN8R said:
2) Always do a low-crouch if you can, and aim for the head. Torso shots do practically nothing, especially with underpowered weapons, and even less when you face off against heavier armored people
In addition, what you see is not necessarily what you will get aside from weapons and ammo. If you take out a fellow STALKER wearing a nice, armored suit, you won't get the suit. I believe that there's a mod out there that changes this, though.

dLMN8R said:
3) When you come to the first bridge with the military checkpoint early in the game, you probably won't be able to kill them. You can instead bribe them so they'll let you pass. Next time you see them, you should have a nice rifle or submachinegun and you can take those bastards down!
You can also avoid the checkpoint entirely by finding a way around it. Several places in the game are set up to be approached in a variety of ways if direct confrontations aren't your thing. You don't have to kill everyone you see. Well, most everyone.

dLMN8R said:
4) In the first underground area (maybe second? I think it's the first), you'll find a lair belonging to an important character. Look around closely and you'll be able to find an AK rifle with an immensely sped-up rate of fire. It's extremely deadly, especially if you find a scope to go along with it later in the game.
The game is also generally open to exploration. You can push past certain areas and ignore the main mission since they ripped out the possibility of having NPCs succeed in accomplishing certain tasks ahead of you. You'll still have to watch out for anomalies and radiation, but the benefits are considerably worth the risks. Pushing as far as I could towards Chernobyl somewhat early in the game yielded some good equipment, including artifacts.

Also, make use of containers. The game has an excellent memory when it comes to these and if you don't feel like selling everything, or want to keep a batch of extra healing goodies somewhere safe, find a chest and use it as your personal locker. There's one in the STALKER camp further in the game in the bar, but you can conceivably use most any one of these as a personal stash.

Have fun with the game! Clear Skies is just around the corner.

Onemic

I haven't played STALKER in a good long time. Does anyone know of any good mods available for the game? Like something tha makes the game more like the STALKER back in 2005, where it wasn't all focused on horror, but more on exploration?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
onemic said:
I haven't played STALKER in a good long time. Does anyone know of any good mods available for the game? Like something tha makes the game more like the STALKER back in 2005, where it wasn't all focused on horror, but more on exploration?

Oblivion Lost is the big one.

Easy_G

Just started playing this game. Maybe an hour or two into it, just went underground for the first time.

dLMN8R said:
5) Look around for bluish-gray metal containers, shaped somewhat like a briefcase! You can open them with your knife, and they often contain health, ammo, or other goodies. I didn't notice these things at all until late into my first playthrough, and they would've been very helpful otherwise.
How do you use the knife? Is it an item you have to pickup at some point?

Egg Shen said:
Also, make use of containers. The game has an excellent memory when it comes to these and if you don't feel like selling everything, or want to keep a batch of extra healing goodies somewhere safe, find a chest and use it as your personal locker. There's one in the STALKER camp further in the game in the bar, but you can conceivably use most any one of these as a personal stash.
Where do you sell items? And what do these containers look like? I've stopped actually trying to open things because nothing seems to really interact.

My last two questions are how do you use grenades and what exactly do you do with artifacts? They just sit there in my inventory right now. Do you they improve your stats as long as you hold on to them or do you sell them at some point?

Doytch

Easy_G said:
Just started playing this game. Maybe an hour or two into it, just went underground for the first time.

How do you use the knife? Is it an item you have to pickup at some point?

Where do you sell items? And what do these containers look like? I've stopped actually trying to open things because nothing seems to really interact.

My last two questions are how do you use grenades and what exactly do you do with artifacts? They just sit there in my inventory right now. Do you they improve your stats as long as you hold on to them or do you sell them at some point?

The knife and grenades are just invisible weapon slots. Same thing with the bolts. Hit the number keys til you figure out which one's which, since I don't remember.

And the artifacts you have to equip. There's five boxes next to where you equip your weapons, drag the artifacts to those to equip them.

Nikorasu

Protip: Play with crosshairs off. Sure it makes the game tougher, but it's a lot more immersive and actually gives the iron sights a purpose.

this is why I love STALKER....you what I did? ....I was about to just kill them all off (it can be done at the beginning) but as I was talking to one dude, a random STALKER started firing on them. All of their attention diverted to him and in that instant I sprinted past them and went on my merry way :D

Thater

Neo Member
Easy_G said:
Where do you sell items?

At the beginning of the game the only place you can sell items is with the Trader who gives you the main storyline missions. There is a little "Trade" button on the bottom of the dialogue window.

My advice is to gather all the Sparkler/Flash artifacts you can, which are found near electro anomalies, because you can get your endurance up high enough to run without losing stamina (as long as you're not overburdened) which vastly improves travel time for when you want to go back and sell off a load of loot to him.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
THis game + its mods = glorious. AMK mod is the one i use, and it makes an already awesome game that much better. And yes, the lab sections are downright horrifying.

Easy_G said:

they're big blue metal chests, default is press F to open them.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm glad I'm seeing so many positive comments on this game...I heard that is was really buggy, but I got it for super-cheap (I think) as part of the crazy Circuit City sale a while back. Still haven't installed it. I'm not a horror movie/game fan, though (even Half-Life 2 tends to creep me out), so I may not make it through it. XD

Broseybrose said:
yes, i was also completely caught off guard by the 'scares'... and that IS the best way. float32 makes it even more creppy... everyone should install it.

What are these mods people are talking about? I searched for float32 but couldn't figure out exactly what it is and does. And is Clear Skies a new "game" mod, basically?

*edit*
After more research and actually reading the thread, I apologize. I see float32 is a performance/graphics mod and Clear Skies is a prequel coming out soon...which is awesome because I want a new computer this year. =P I'll probably try the first STALKER a bit and then put the float32 mod on.

One question though that's bothering me...I'm wanting a computer this year while I still have a chance of getting XP, but someone said something about DirectX 10. Please tell me Vista isn't REQUIRED...

*edit again* FINAL question: If I install it, do I need to find the website to get the latest official patch? I heard things about mission bugs. Do I need a third-party patch to fix those, or does the official one handle stuff for the normal game?

Blizzard

Banned
*comment spam* Holy cow, I just watched a couple of the trailers/videos. The people may not be photorealistic, but the environment feel, just wow...the moving shadows from the sun/clouds... O_O

Blizzard said:
One question though that's bothering me...I'm wanting a computer this year while I still have a chance of getting XP, but someone said something about DirectX 10. Please tell me Vista isn't REQUIRED...

*edit again* FINAL question: If I install it, do I need to find the website to get the latest official patch? I heard things about mission bugs. Do I need a third-party patch to fix those, or does the official one handle stuff for the normal game?

DX10 is Vista only, but most of those effects could be done in DX9 (look at crysis for example)

I played through that game without any patches or fixes and had no problems with quests, but I heard the official ones did the job nicely. And do install the float32 mod before your play so you get a nice performance boost.

Hopefully Stalker:CS comes out end of this month, but I've got a weird feeling it may be delayed :/

yet to see what Australia rated it

Blizzard

Banned
Romance Pie said:
DX10 is Vista only, but most of those effects could be done in DX9 (look at crysis for example)

I played through that game without any patches or fixes and had no problems with quests, but I heard the official ones did the job nicely. And do install the float32 mod before your play so you get a nice performance boost.

Hopefully Stalker:CS comes out end of this month, but I've got a weird feeling it may be delayed :/

yet to see what Australia rated it

Sweet, thanks. An earlier post suggested that the official patch includes float32, but I'm not sure if that's true?

Thater

Neo Member
Romance Pie said:

I know retailers aren't the most reliable sources, but GAME in the UK recently sent out a message to people that pre-ordered Clear Sky stating that the game was delayed for one week. Which, if it's true, could just be a distribution delay since I don't think one week is going to help the development.

EDIT: There's also a rumor that GSC has already begun work on the first patch and plan to release it the day before the game comes out so chances are the game is finished. It's hard to find any solid information though.

dLMN8R

Thater said:
I know retailers aren't the most reliable sources, but GAME in the UK recently sent out a message to people that pre-ordered Clear Sky stating that the game was delayed for one week. Which, if it's true, could just be a distribution delay since I don't think one week is going to help the development.

EDIT: There's also a rumor that GSC has already begun work on the first patch and plan to release it the day before the game comes out so chances are the game is finished. It's hard to find any solid information though.
I also asked IGN this question for their PC podcast - if they thought Clear Sky would come out on time - and they were very optimistic. They have a build in the office for themselves already, the company is very confident in the release date, and PC Zone Magazine apparently has a review out there too.

Thater

Neo Member
dLMN8R said:
I also asked IGN this question for their PC podcast - if they thought Clear Sky would come out on time - and they were very optimistic. They have a build in the office for themselves already, the company is very confident in the release date, and PC Zone Magazine apparently has a review out there too.

STEAM just set the release date to September 6th, so I guess it isn't a distribution problem. Maybe they're trying to patch it before release, but I'm just speculating. It just seems that one week is a weird delay, although it's far better than X years.

1C says it's gold for Russia and will be out there August 22nd.

dLMN8R

Apparently, the game was delayed due to shipping problems caused by the Georgian/Russian war. The game is indeed coming out at the beginning of September as stated, and just went Gold according to Blue's News :D

Chiggs

Gold Member
EviLore said:
Oblivion Lost is the big one.

Hard and unforgiving. Still pretty cool, though.

dLMN8R said:
Apparently, the game was delayed due to shipping problems caused by the Georgian/Russian war.

War is hell. Gamespot guy told me the same thing. Date is showing 9/5.

Egg Shen

Thater said:
At the beginning of the game the only place you can sell items is with the Trader who gives you the main storyline missions. There is a little "Trade" button on the bottom of the dialogue window.

My advice is to gather all the Sparkler/Flash artifacts you can, which are found near electro anomalies, because you can get your endurance up high enough to run without losing stamina (as long as you're not overburdened) which vastly improves travel time for when you want to go back and sell off a load of loot to him.
You can also trade with other Stalkers, although the payoff is not as great and they usually have little to nothing for trade.

@ Easy_G: There's a major STALKER camp a little further in the game where you can also sell things to. You'll also run into one or two others out in the wilderness that you can purchase things from, so don't worry too much about selling early in the game. Eventually you'll get to a point where you have extra artifacts and weapons to sell, but that's much later when you're not too busy scrabbling for what you can just to survive.

Chiggs said:
War is hell. Gamespot guy told me the same thing. Date is showing 9/5.
September is going to hurt my wallet.

Mamesj

Banned
I keep starting this up, but can never get into it. The long distances to places in the first few missions and between sub-quests is really getting to me, I think. It seems so bland. Do things pick up?

Then I popped in the movie the game is very loosely based on, because I thought I would get a similar story at a faster pace...boy was I wrong :lol

BeeDog

Mamesj said:
I keep starting this up, but can never get into it. The long distances to places in the first few missions and between sub-quests is really getting to me, I think. It seems so bland. Do things pick up?

Then I popped in the movie the game is very loosely based on, because I thought I would get a similar story at a faster pace...boy was I wrong :lol

The game definitely picks up. It's a flawed game, that's for sure, but some of the later scenarios are great (and freakin' scary).

Vashu

dLMN8R said:
Apparently, the game was delayed due to shipping problems caused by the Georgian/Russian war. The game is indeed coming out at the beginning of September as stated, and just went Gold according to Blue's News :D

Strange, Georgia is to the east of Ukraine and there's a sea and a part of Turkey in between. How could there be shipment problems? Oh well, there could be a reason for it but I don't see it, yet.

Still looking forward to it, I just hope I got my new components before the game arrives on my doorstep.

Flunkie

Banned
dLMN8R said:
Just release it on Steam on time and there'd be no problems. :)

dLMN8R

Vashu said:
Strange, Georgia is to the east of Ukraine and there's a sea and a part of Turkey in between. How could there be shipment problems? Oh well, there could be a reason for it but I don't see it, yet.

Still looking forward to it, I just hope I got my new components before the game arrives on my doorstep.
The game's coming out in Russia next week, but GSC and their publisher wanted to delay worldwide distribution in North America and elsewhere to coincide with the Ukrainian release date.

OmegaRed

I was thinking of buying STALKER. Do you guys think my computer can handle this?

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC'd @ 700/1528/1000
4GB DDR2 RAM
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
3 SATA HardDrives

dLMN8R

OmegaRed said:
I was thinking of buying STALKER. Do you guys think my computer can handle this?

4GB DDR2 RAM
3 SATA HardDrives
Please tell me you're joking. Your system will demolish STALKER on the highest settings.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OmegaRed said:

4GB DDR2 RAM
3 SATA HardDrives
Are you fucking kidding me?

Mamesj

Banned
OmegaRed said:

4GB DDR2 RAM
3 SATA HardDrives

No, probably not. maybe an unstable 20fps

how do you own a system like this and not know...?
"Mom, can I have some money"
"sure"
--Newegg.com: sort by highest price
--Click top item
*checkout*
"Thanks, mom!"

OmegaRed said:
Hey guyz, I has a really nice PC that will probably run most of the games for the next 2 yearz very well, yet I will post my specs to show off. By the way, do you think I can run this really not insanely demanding game from a year ago well?

Esperado

OmegaRed said:

4GB DDR2 RAM
3 SATA HardDrives

Nope, you're going to need 2 more hard drives and a better sound card. Sorry.

Top Bottom