• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

legend166

Nikorasu said:
Flashlight, armor with night vision, or just sleep until morning.

I think nights are amazing in this mod. Sunsets/sunrises are absolutely gorgeous, and the AI improvements are really something. Using night vision i attacked the bandit base in the Dark Valley with a silenced weapon and easily took out the entire group outdoors without being found. Stealth is a much more viable option this time around, you just gotta use the night to your advantage.

Where can I find some nigh vision goggles, because that sounds awesome.

Orellio said:
When it's a 500MB unofficial mod, and you're having technical difficulties, it's probably a good place to start.
I just play the games, I don't worry about a random shadow glitch. Especially when it was present in the vanilla version.

Anyways lighten up, sheesh

Nikorasu

legend166 said:
Where can I find some nigh vision goggles, because that sounds awesome.

I think the Stalker Suit is the first outfit you can get with NV built in. Press 'n' to activate. Later suits have much better NV tech.

legend166

Oh, the Stalker suit has it built in? Excellent.

This would have helped when I took down the Agropom Research Place in broad daylight. So many quick saves and reloads :(

ezekial45

Banned
Nikorasu said:
Flashlight, armor with night vision, or just sleep until morning.

I think nights are amazing in this mod. Sunsets/sunrises are absolutely gorgeous, and the AI improvements are really something. Using night vision i attacked the bandit base in the Dark Valley with a silenced weapon and easily took out the entire group outdoors without being found. Stealth is a much more viable option this time around, you just gotta use the night to your advantage.

How do you sleep? I do use the flashlight, that isn't enough.

tok

Neo Member
There is a rolled up sleeping bag in your inventory right from the start. Right click it, click Use and it will ask you to choose how long you want to sleep.

There is no sleeping bag in the original game because there is no night... That was added in later mods and kept for Clear Sky. Honestly, its my least favorite part of newer gen games. I didn't like it in Far Cry 2 either.

Daigoro

ezekial: the bag will be in your inventory if you have the mod properly installed. just click on it and select an amount of time.

legend166 said:
Oh, the Stalker suit has it built in? Excellent.

This would have helped when I took down the Agropom Research Place in broad daylight. So many quick saves and reloads :(

nah, the early suits have terrible NV. its pretty useless until you get the better suits actually.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Orellio said:
If you would actually read the readme.txt you would see that this is a known bug and there is a very easy workaround for it.
I was familiar with this bug as it occurred in the original version of STALKER. For this reason why would you assume that it would be in the readme for this mod?

I did a quick search for the fix (as I have actually used it before, now that I see the commands again) and came up short. I also looked around on the mod site itself without finding a solution. Posting on GAF, however, is very quick and painless and produced results almost immediately. I don't see what the problem is.

TheExodu5

Banned
The 2009 Complete mod is friggin' fantastic. With the mod, this is easily one of the best looking and most immersive games I've played on the PC. It runs and controls fantastically well to boot. I'm using the 1.31 update (I believe). I like the tweaks to the weapons a lot, especially the sounds.

Oh, and the shadow glitch was easily fixable for me:

r2_sun_near_border 1.0

That fixes it perfectly.

I ran into a stuuuupid glitch yesterday though. Played for about an hour, holding only a quick save up until that point. I ran into a glitch where I'd be stuck with the hazardous radiation level message, and no matter what I do, my radiation keeps going up. I have nothing in my belt either. Going to need to restart the game now. =\

Is there a mod out there that makes it so that quick save creates a new save every time? That'd be a life saver.

Moobabe

Sorry for the huge bump. I've just picked up the game on steam and wondered what the best mod is. I've found the complete 2009 mod that's 660 meg and wondered if that's all I need?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Despite it's age, I STILL can't get perfect performance out of this game. When looking at certain light sources, the framerate drops in a strange way. It appears to "skip" around and is incredibly distracting. Totally ruins the experience. It doesn't just drop to a lower framerate or anything like that. This is much worse.

Hopefully the new game won't have these issues. :\

The Complete mod definitely seems to add a lot. Still want to get into it, but man, it just doesn't want to give me some love. :(

Dennis

Banned
Moobabe said:
Sorry for the huge bump. I've just picked up the game on steam and wondered what the best mod is. I've found the complete 2009 mod that's 660 meg and wondered if that's all I need?
Yes, it is all you need, don't bother with anything else.

Looks incredible and is one of the most tense, atmospheric and unique gaming experience to be had.

Stitch

Gold Member
is it possible to make the night a bit brighter? can't see shit captain!

why do these modders think that nights are pitch black? i hated this in fallout and oblivion.

oh btw, if your performance is too bad with stalker complete then i recommend to delete the shader folder and install float32 2.0.
or disable all the lights. but that makes the game ugly lol

oh and is it normal that the grass seems to run at a different framerate than the game? it's hard to explain but the grass looks like it's running at 3 frames per second while the game runs at 30 or something like that

Minsc

Gold Member
Stitch said:

why do these modders think that nights are pitch black? i hated this in fallout and oblivion.

oh btw, if your performance is too bad with stalker complete then i recommend to delete the shader folder and install float32 2.0.

oh and is it normal that the grass seems to run at a different framerate than the game? it's hard to explain but the grass looks like it's running at 3 frames per second while the game runs at 30 or something like that

There's a brightness / contrast slider in the options... sometimes I wonder if it's just certain un-calibrated LCD screens that make the nights look so poor w/ some of these mods.

Stitch said:

If you have a good suit you can use night vision and it looks pretty badass. I just got a new suit with a night vision mode that makes it all look kinda like black and white. Press N on the keyboard to check out night vision mode on your current suit.

Stitch

Gold Member
Minsc said:
There's a brightness / contrast slider in the options... sometimes I wonder if it's just certain un-calibrated LCD screens that make the nights look so poor w/ some of these mods.
but that makes the whole game bright... and i'm only 2 hours in the game, have just crossed the railroad so i don't have any nightvision.

Stitch said:
but that makes the whole game bright... and i'm only 2 hours in the game, have just crossed the railroad so i don't have any nightvision.

Did you get the merc suit at the starting town? I swear that thing has nightvision...

Stitch said:
that thing costs 24000 RU so of course i didn't get it. i only have a mail jacket.

I don't know what that youtube video shows since I'm at work, but you find the merc suit in starting town in a roof. Well then if that doesn't have night vision then just play during day hours and sleep during night hours until you get a suit with night vision. By the time I even knew of night vision I had a suit with it already. It was the duty suit you get for joining there faction, but that you don't get until later on.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm seriously in love with this game. Love the tactical feel of the firefights and the atmosphere is incredible. It's a bit buggy though. I slid through a locked gate that I probably shouldn't have and got stuck in the area (bar) :lol

That one guy in the town said:
Get out of here, stalker.
OK OK, I'm going!

Loved this game until the end.
I didn't have enough radiation protection when you have to go to the reactor
, and basically it became impossible. I should probably just watch the endings on Youtube, you know, for closure.

Aselith

Stitch said:
:O that's much better than my old suit. thanks!
but it doesn't have any night vision!

You press N to turn it on.

Edit: OH, per youtube comments

dont download the patch!! u get a mercinary suit up there instead and it sucks and takes too much damage

You might have the wrong suit :(

JoeMartin

This game is creepy as all fuck. The first time I ran across an invisible zombie (or it ran across me) in the dark valley I nearly shit my pants.

Might sound a little hurf blurfy, but no other game has come close to creating a genuinely believable setting and atmosphere of soul sucking desolation. It's one of those disturbingly fascinating things, and damn they do it well.

Game has barely aged with the Complete 2009 mod, which is also awesome.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
JoeMartin said:
This game is creepy as all fuck. The first time I ran across an invisible zombie (or it ran across me) in the dark valley I nearly shit my pants.

Might sound a little hurf blurfy, but no other game has come close to creating a genuinely believable setting and atmosphere of soul sucking desolation. It's one of those disturbingly fascinating things, and damn they do it well.

Game has barely aged with the Complete 2009 mod, which is also awesome.

Wait until you get into some of the labs, dude. I actually had to just turn the game off a few times.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Right as i was ready to escape the underground tunnels early in the game, the really unsettling-looking creature thing that the camera flies into and makes that really bizarre sound before it blasts you....yeah, that creeped me out more than anything i can recently remember.

sca2511

mattiewheels said:
Right as i was ready to escape the underground tunnels early in the game, the really unsettling-looking creature thing that the camera flies into and makes that really bizarre sound before it blasts you....yeah, that creeped me out more than anything i can recently remember.
same here, so i went back to where i started the quest and found him close to where he originally screamed at me then i proceeded to stab/shoot the fuck out of it till it died.

mattiewheels

sca2511 said:
same here, so i went back to where i started the quest and found him close to where he originally screamed at me then i proceeded to stab/shoot the fuck out of it till it died.
I think the most unsettling thing was that it was shooting me from way down the end of the tunnel, so it was really surprising, that long camera zoom and that fucked up noise and the creature's look was just so bizarre at 3 in the morning :shudder:

JoeMartin

One rage inducing thing: How do you get out of whirlygig anomalies? They're the dumbest fucking thing and you just keep getting hit by it until you die?

Truant

JoeMartin said:
One rage inducing thing: How do you get out of whirlygig anomalies? They're the dumbest fucking thing and you just keep getting hit by it until you die?

If you listen closely you can hear the whirling anomalies speak, as well.

Get out of here, Stalker.

KillerAJD

DryvBy2 said:
LolEdit:

Is there a way to play online with Steam?
Apparently, the latest update was messed up so they took it offline. This means if you didn't get the update, you can't play with those who did. We probably just have to wait until they release an updated update, :lol.

Quadrophenic said:
If I install the complete 2009 mod will my save files transfer over?

Nope, you have to start a whole new game.

Stitch

Gold Member
took me a few hours to realize that the dogs and some other mutants are afraid of me and almost never attack me. i always started shooting at them when they came near me :D

DryvBy

KillerAJD said:
Apparently, the latest update was messed up so they took it offline. This means if you didn't get the update, you can't play with those who did. We probably just have to wait until they release an updated update, :lol.

That sucks! Lol. I've been trying to play this with people for ages. Great single player game though, so I can't complain too much.

JoeMartin

Stitch said:
took me a few hours to realize that the dogs and some other mutants are afraid of me and almost never attack me. i always started shooting at them when they came near me :D

Yeah the sissy dogs are afraid of gunfire (they won't run from silenced rifles though), but really those are only in the Cordon. Dogs get slightly (way way JESUSFIVEDOGSFUCK more) aggressive as the game goes on.

Also just got the VSS Vintorez sniper rifle from that Duty mission. Hot knife through butter, even on heavily armored targets. Packing the armor piercing sniper rounds and one in the head is enough for most targets.

EDIT: And the PSZ Univeral suit w/ 90% radiation resist :lol :lol

Invisible bloodsuckers still scare the shit out of me.

Open ended nature of the game is great too. Kinda just wandering around doing my own thing and hitting the "main" quest line when I feel like it.

Teknoman

DennisK4 said:
Yes, it is all you need, don't bother with anything else.

Looks incredible and is one of the most tense, atmospheric and unique gaming experience to be had.

I can attest to this now that I have the game. The firefights can get pretty tense as well...and thats just in the first part of the game. Cant believe I keep dying at the first combat section of the first quest you get.

EDIT: Whats the MP about? Just normal competitive type stuff?

Drewsky

I tried installing the 2009 complete mod after I installed this on Steam. I can't get the setup to start at all, when I run as admin it says that it can't find the Stalker installation on my system. I also tried downloading the manual version of the mod, but haven't had any luck even getting it to download. Any ideas?

Drewsky said:
I tried installing the 2009 complete mod after I installed this on Steam. I can't get the setup to start at all, when I run as admin it says that it can't find the Stalker installation on my system. I also tried downloading the manual version of the mod, but haven't had any luck even getting it to download. Any ideas?

Did you download the installer that's compatible with the Steam version? Also, try to start STALKER once before installing the mod.

Drewsky

830920 said:
Did you download the installer that's compatible with the Steam version? Also, try to start STALKER once before installing the mod.

Yeah, i downloaded the one for Steam. Haven't opened up the game yet though, I'll try that out and see if it works. I'm redownloading the mod now. Thanks.

Edit: Yup, that worked. Installing now, thanks.

Top Bottom