• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

szaromir

Banned
I am about to play the game for the first time, which mods should I install? 2009 Complete, Lost Oblivion or what is the most recommended?

Scipius

szaromir said:
I'll keep that in mind. Will I be able to install Oblivion Lost on top of 2009 Complete?

Probably not, unless the mod's authors have adjusted OL to work with it.

Do not install Oblivion Lost for your first play-through though! Stick to Complete 2009 or even vanilla STALKER; Complete 2009 mostly improves on the original (though you may want to get rid of its new HUD), whereas OL significantly changes things.

szaromir said:
I'll keep that in mind. Will I be able to install Oblivion Lost on top of 2009 Complete?
No you can't. You'll have to reinstall, and as the guy above said complete/vanilla is for the best on the first playthrough which I agree with.

fresquito

I started playing this some days ago, with Complete 2009 mod. It's not my first time with the game, I tried it a year ago, almost two, but didn't play very much. I thought the game was good, but TF2 hit my life and I got lost in time. Complete 2009 enhaces the game A LOT. Wow at the atmosphere, whih was good to begin with, but now it's astonishing.

About the gameplay, it's very tense, and firefights are fun, although respawn of enemies from area to area is not my cup of tea. They should at least wait for a day to respawn. Anyway, it's one of the most believable games I've played in the latest times.

Scipius

MarshMellow96 said:
I tried playing this recently and I keep getting X-Ray crashes. I've got 2009 installed. Should I uninstall then do it again?

That is certainly something you can try, but seeing how Complete 2009 generally improves stability, it may not resolve the issue.

squ

Neo Member
Can't create a new thread, so posting here.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 in development, officially
20:14:47 Friday, 13 August 2010

GSC Game World announces S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - the official sequel to best-selling game series - in development now. A completely new multi-platform technology developed by GSC will make the core of the game.

"After the official sales of the series exceeded 4 million copies worldwide, we had no doubts left to start creating a new big game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe. This will be the next chapter of the mega-popular game players expect from us" - said Sergiy Grygorovych, CEO of GSC Game World.

The game is scheduled for release in 2012.
http://www.gsc-game.com/

So after 26 hours I finally finished S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, 3+ years after it was released. First time through I got a bad ending, but I immediately tried again for the best ending, and the game just kept going, and going... AND going. This game is the definition of absolute flawed masterpiece.

Also, the whole game was brutal in regular difficulty - I was quicksaving after each kill. It crashed multiple times, but boy oh boy when this game shines, it shines brighter than any other game I've ever played (I'm serious about this). Had GSC managed to implement everything they had in mind, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would have surpassed Half-Life 2 as the top dog in the pc FPS genre.

Anyways, do I get a medal for finishing the game? :D

The M.O.B

Lasthope106 said:
So after 26 hours I finally finished S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, 3+ years after it was released. First time through I got a bad ending, but I immediately tried again for the best ending, and the game just kept going, and going... AND going. This game is the definition of absolute flawed masterpiece.

Also, the whole game was brutal in regular difficulty - I was quicksaving after each kill. It crashed multiple times, but boy oh boy when this game shines, it shines brighter than any other game I've ever played (I'm serious about this). Had GSC managed to implement everything they had in mind, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. would have surpassed Half-Life 2 as the top dog in the pc FPS genre.

Anyways, do I get a medal for finishing the game? :D

Did you play it with the Stalker Complete Mod?

It fixes a ton of bugs and crashes.

Kritz

Banned
I know this may be blasphemy to some, but I still prefer Chernobyl to Pripyat. Pripyat is amazing in its own rights, but it never captured that same sense of fear and awe that Chernobyl had. I think I just preferred the slightly more linear nature, and simplified systems.

Huh, did I just call STALKER's systems simple? Weird.

JoeMartin

Hardly blasphemy. I consider ShoC w/ Complete 2012 the pinnacle of the series.

Though we haven't played CoP with its impending Complete mod yet, so that may change.

Dennis

Banned
STALKER with the Complete mod is probably one of the games that define the term 'hardcore PC game'

You are just never going to see anything like that on a console.

Oh man some of the memories I have from that game - so hard, so tense....

:D :D :D

Scipius

DennisK4 said:
STALKER with the Complete mod is probably one of the games that define the term 'hardcore PC game'

You are just never going to see anything like that on a console.

Oh man some of the memories I have from that game - so hard, so tense....

:D :D :D

Currently waiting for Complete for Call of Pripyat

And STALKER 2 of course!

Let's hope they manage to keep STALKER 2 hardcore enough given that it will be "multiplatform". I'm still hoping that will mean Windows, Mac & Linux though...:D

CoP was already more "streamlined" than SoC, so in that sense preferring SoC cannot be blasphemy if one's tastes veer towards the more challenging and meaningful type of gameplay STALKER offers. Hell, I'm one of those who thinks even the Complete mod overdid it a little bit as well.

CoP's streamlining was well done (because it remained PC exclusive) and clearly an indication of where STALKER 2 is headed, but for me the main difference between SoC on one side and CS and CoP on the other is simply the size and scope of the game; CS and CoP are after all merely the pro- and epilogue of SoC. No matter how well the new systems these two introduced work, they are still missing some substance.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Anyone ever try the L.U.R.K. mod? Thoughts about it compared to Complete? It looks pretty damn good and I am dead set on giving this a playthrough once I finish New Vegas now. It adds things like different caliber bullets, each with it own ballistics. Emphasis on realism in the gunplay. They even added stealth AI so you can creep around in dark shadows and the AI can't detect you.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Scipius said:

CoP was already more "streamlined" than SoC
, so in that sense preferring SoC cannot be blasphemy if one's tastes veer towards the more challenging and meaningful type of gameplay STALKER offers. Hell, I'm one of those who thinks even the Complete mod overdid it a little bit as well.

could you elaborate please ?

Max

I am not Max
_tetsuo_ said:
Anyone ever try the L.U.R.K. mod? Thoughts about it compared to Complete? It looks pretty damn good and I am dead set on giving this a playthrough once I finish New Vegas now. It adds things like different caliber bullets, each with it own ballistics. Emphasis on realism in the gunplay. They even added stealth AI so you can creep around in dark shadows and the AI can't detect you.
I finished the game with Complete which was very good, and then started another play through once LURK 1.1 came out and got about half way through, I don't know much about the sneaking but all the tweaks to the weapons made it a lot more enjoyable. I'll probably have to get back to that and finally finish it off

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Max said:
I finished the game with Complete which was very good, and then started another play through once LURK 1.1 came out and got about half way through, I don't know much about the sneaking but all the tweaks to the weapons made it a lot more enjoyable. I'll probably have to get back to that and finally finish it off

I've been playing it and I find myself missing the HUD. I wish I could take the graphics updates and the weapon changes to Complete.

1-D_FTW

I'm going to finally force myself to play a couple hours so I can figure out what's going on and get into the game.

I'm assuming Complete 2009 1.4.4 is the mod I want to install? People are talking 2012, but it seems like that's completely different and not really ready. Wrong?

1-D_FTW said:
I'm going to finally force myself to play a couple hours so I can figure out what's going on and get into the game.

I'm assuming Complete 2009 1.4.4 is the mod I want to install? People are talking 2012, but it seems like that's completely different and not really ready. Wrong?
Yeah, go for the complete mod. It makes the game much better, and more like Call of Pripyat.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stuck in the game, and since fixing it would require me to waste hours of game play if I can't find a solution then I'm done with the game. My situation is the following.

- I'm out of radiation medicine and I'm slowing (rather fast) dying. So I can't walk around much-
- I have tried to find a safe place to sleep with no success. Is just not an option.
- The game is asking me to save a guy I already saved, the problem is that now he's surrounded by soldiers that far outgun me. I have tried "smart" strategies, but even discharging a full clip on a single soldier from behind is ineffective. He will not die and call for reinforcements.
- I said that I already saved the guy? For some reason the quest didn't registered. I saved the guy, he walked with me to the sewer entrance and gave me thanks! Then I went into the sewers, ran into a fortress where I had to retrieve a briefcase and then back into the sewers. I'm kilometers away from a safe spot.

Can anyone help?

1-D_FTW

Dennis

Banned
One of my fondest memory of STALKER is a long drawn-out battle that started as a shoot-out at dusk and ended in an absolutely terrifying game of hide-and-seek during the night in a compound lighted only by a few bonfires.

Absolutely one of the most intense gaming experiences of my life.

I will say it again. STALKER is game that defines in may ways how modern PC games differ from console games.

I wish more developers had the guts to try something equally ambitious with the shooter genre instead of just making half-baked CoD clones.

Lonely1 said:
I'm stuck in the game, and since fixing it would require me to waste hours of game play if I can't find a solution then I'm done with the game. My situation is the following.

- I'm out of radiation medicine and I'm slowing (rather fast) dying. So I can't walk around much-
- I have tried to find a safe place to sleep with no success. Is just not an option.
- The game is asking me to save a guy I already saved, the problem is that now he's surrounded by soldiers that far outgun me. I have tried "smart" strategies, but even discharging a full clip on a single soldier from behind is ineffective. He will not die and call for reinforcements.
- I said that I already saved the guy? For some reason the quest didn't registered. I saved the guy, he walked with me to the sewer entrance and gave me thanks! Then I went into the sewers, ran into a fortress where I had to retrieve a briefcase and then back into the sewers. I'm kilometers away from a safe spot.

Can anyone help?
Are you in a radioactive area? If not, make sure your artifacts aren't adding to your radiation. The best option is to get as many head shots as possible, so hopefully you have a decent weapon (hopefully something with a scope). Quick save after every kill, but it just might work out that you can't save that dude.

DennisK4 said:
One of my fondest memory of STALKER is a long drawn-out battle that started as a shoot-out at dusk and ended in an absolutely terrifying game of hide-and-seek during the night in a compound lighted only by a few bonfires.

Absolutely one of the most intense gaming experiences of my life.

I will say it again. STALKER is game that defines in may ways how modern PC games differ from console games.

I wish more developers had the guts to try something equally ambitious with the shooter genre instead of just making half-baked CoD clones.
This is why I keep going back to STALKER every few months. It never holds your hand, and a lot of the interactions seem organic, not very scripted. That being said, I've never beat the game because I've always had a crash bug as I approached the reactor.

1-D_FTW

OMG. I can't believe I've owned the game this long (and repurchased with a bundle deal on Steam) without playing.

My problem was this: I installed, listened to the shopkeeper, then exited. Then when I tried playing much later on, I really didn't understand the PDA and everywhere I went I was blocked by radiation (aside from one fire fight where I started with a lousy pistol).

But six hours in and OMG. Kind of glad I waited this long now, because the Complete mod really does make the game beautiful. And now I have a video card that can handle cranking everything on max. What an amazing game. It's kind of like Deus Ex for me. Took me forever to force myself to play, but once I did, WOW.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Any way to remove the realistic weapon mod? Never completed the game, i love the complete 2009 mods, but realistic weapon just makes a load fest mostly

So happy to see this thread on page 1. Stalker SoC is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

The Zone is one of my favorite environments in a game. So evocative, so harsh, I love it. really captures the feel of the Stalker movie that was made back in the 70's.

Buggy Loop said:
Any way to remove the realistic weapon mod? Never completed the game, i love the complete 2009 mods, but realistic weapon just makes a load fest mostly
That isn't a mod, its part of the game. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Adds a bit of a loot mechanic to fights.
LordAzrael said:
So happy to see this thread on page 1. Stalker SoC is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

The Zone is one of my favorite environments in a game. So evocative, so harsh, I love it. really captures the feel of the Stalker movie that was made back in the 70's.
Its a great environment for a game. Its a place no one has ever been to, and it has a weird vibe all around it.

Call of Pripyat is still my favorite. Pripyat at night, during a thunderstorm is fucking intense.

Mr. Snrub said:
Looks low budget, but I'll watch it.
Low budget by American and Hollywood standards. Its probably got a decent budget compared to any other shows made in Russian. Although I do suggest that everyone lowers their expectations a bit.

1-D_FTW

I have a question about Special Missions and the first shopkeeper. Am I missing anything if I can't complete them? He gave me a special mission, I completed it, but somewhere along the line lost the item I needed to return.

I wandered quite a ways from base, collected lots of stuff, got really heavy, and started selling stuff off. It was an aritfact that looked pretty useless and I sold it off for the money without realizing I needed it.

I've gone back and tried trading with everyone I could spot, but I can't find the item. So he won't give me any more special missions until I complete this. Is this going to be an issue? I think I'm around 13 hours in, so I'd rather not have to restart the game (though I'm sure I could get back to my current progress in 4-5 hours).

JADS

1-D_FTW said:
I have a question about Special Missions and the first shopkeeper. Am I missing anything if I can't complete them? He gave me a special mission, I completed it, but somewhere along the line lost the item I needed to return.

I wandered quite a ways from base, collected lots of stuff, got really heavy, and started selling stuff off. It was an aritfact that looked pretty useless and I sold it off for the money without realizing I needed it.

I've gone back and tried trading with everyone I could spot, but I can't find the item. So he won't give me any more special missions until I complete this. Is this going to be an issue? I think I'm around 13 hours in, so I'd rather not have to restart the game (though I'm sure I could get back to my current progress in 4-5 hours).

Nah, you can just find the artifact laying around somewhere, pick it up and bring it back to him. Artifacts can be found everywhere in the later levels and even in some stashes. Most missions, with the exception of like 3, give you cash or equipment anyway and don't have much of an impact on the story. Except for the decoder mission at the end of the game.

1-D_FTW

Holy fuck balls this game is good. Out of curiosity I kept looking at the playtime of people on my Steam friend's list. Most are in the .3 - 1 hour range. Pretty much where I was for the last couple years. Couldn't get over the steep learning curve. Closing in on the end now and I'm gobsmacked. My mind is completely blown. Just amazing.

Dennis

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Holy fuck balls this game is good. Out of curiosity I kept looking at the playtime of people on my Steam friend's list. Most are in the .3 - 1 hour range. Pretty much where I was for the last couple years. Couldn't get over the steep learning curve. Closing in on the end now and I'm gobsmacked. My mind is completely blown. Just amazing.
Real talk.

In the beginning until you get some decent guns, the game is so damn unforgiving.

But unlike a lot of people I loved from the beginning. Old-school PC games often start out very hard.

1-D_FTW said:
Even when you get to the end, there are things to learn. The game is amazing, but terribly buggy. Call of Pripyat, imo, makes a great game system a fantastic game.

I still think this is the best game of all STALKERs, unmodded, or at least with just the basic stuff. The team still doesnt know how to an endgame properly though.

Prime crotch said:
I still think this is the best game of all STALKERs, unmodded, or at least with just the basic stuff. The team still doesnt know how to an endgame properly though.
Very true, considering every time I got to the reactor, I had a save game bug that broke my game. On two different computers, with and without the complete mod, I never finished the game. I was pissed. At least I beat Call of Pripyat.

Top Bottom