• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

squinters

astigmatic
Drewsky said:
I tried installing the 2009 complete mod after I installed this on Steam. I can't get the setup to start at all, when I run as admin it says that it can't find the Stalker installation on my system. I also tried downloading the manual version of the mod, but haven't had any luck even getting it to download. Any ideas?
Did the same thing for me. I found out that all you have to do is start Stalker and quit for the mod to recognize it.

Is the Float32 mod still recommended for STALKER, or has that been superceded by Complete?

edit: Never mind, FAQ says Float32 conflicts with Complete.

Stitch

Gold Member
no it does not. you just need to delete the shaders folder before you install float32.

btw, would changing the weightlimit destroy my savegames? the normal weighlimit is too low... :p

edit: nope, it's still working :D

when i install the complete mod, the game always crashes while loading. I don't have a supercomputer, but it's good enough to run most games.

Stitch

Gold Member
did you try to load an old savegame? you have to start a new game. if you just installed stalker then you need to start it at least once before you install the mod.

JoeMartin

So I beat the game last night (in all it's various endings) and the whole thing was an immensely enjoyable experience. The Wish Granter endings are extremely thin, so make sure you run the Guide and Doctor missions after searching Ghost's corpse to get the "real" ending to the story. I thought the whole massive shootout in Chernobyl kind of detracted from the feel the whole game had built up, and that even with your conversation with the hologram about C-Consciousness and it "explaining" everything, it felt a bit rushed. Though I totally called
the player being Strelok
like a fourth of the way through the game.

Anyways, on to Clear Sky. Are there any Complete-esque mods I should be looking out for?

Stitch said:

no matter what I do, the moddb link stops about halfway through and says it cannot connect with the source file. The filefront links finish dling at 460mbs and says it's corrupt.

JoeMartin

Christ spend 2 hours playing vanilla Clear Sky and you realize just how drastically the Complete 2009 mod improved Stalker. Hats off to all the contributors of that project.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i started up Vanilla Stalker and the shadows in this game are all messed up, The left side and right of my screen shadows act all weird.

Running everything maxed ect... Anyone else experience weird shadow problems? Would a mod fix this? Filefront is down atm so i cant DL the complete mod.

Edit: I see this is a common bug. Ill try the fix. Will report back

Edit: The "fix" doesnt do anything at all... Shadows are still erratic and is totally ruining the game for me :(

Edit: The complete 2009 mod fixed it!!!!! Yay.

The lack of accuracy with weapons is really starting to bother me. Its kind of detracting from the fun of the game for me. So after trying to find some mods the game is crashes now when I try to start it up so I probably need to reinstall. Can anyone recommend some gameplay/accuracy mods because I probably won't bother reinstalling the game if I am going to have to keep playing it the way it is.

JoeMartin

I played through with the Complete + Complete Weapon Mod.

The first fight under the bridge with the Soldiers was rough, but once you get your first real gun that actually shoots where you're pointing it's fine from there on. And once you get a VSS Vintorez, it gets significantly more fun.

Keep in mind though that while the weapon mod makes your guns more accurate, it makes the NPC's guns more accurate as well. Ramboing will not work, ever.

JoeMartin said:
Keep in mind though that while the weapon mod makes your guns more accurate, it makes the NPC's guns more accurate as well. Ramboing will not work, ever.
Well my complaint is really about me sitting behind a pile of concrete tubes and emptying 5 or 10 clips from a handgun to bring down a guy that's probably 20 or 30 meters from me.

Smash88

Banned
Finally got to this game after such a long time (since the Christmas Steam sale). Loving the first couple of hours, but after my first mission and getting back the military attacked my base. Every time I try to do anything they kill the guys that are giving me quests, I can't miss out on quests because the game decided to send these overpowered military assholes so soon into the game. Does anyone have any tips on what to do? I can't beat them, there are at least 10 of them if not more.

The Complete 2009 mod has done wonders. I tested before I installed it and after, and it is like night and day. My god can mods do wonders.

Clear Sky Complete has been announced and will be coming out in a few weeks (80% as of today), hopefully I'll finish this one up just in time.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Smash88 said:
Finally got to this game after such a long time (since the Christmas Steam sale). Loving the first couple of hours, but after my first mission and getting back the military attacked my base. Every time I try to do anything they kill the guys that are giving me quests, I can't miss out on quests because the game decided to send these overpowered military assholes so soon into the game. Does anyone have any tips on what to do? I can't beat them, there are at least 10 of them if not more.

Don't worry about it. There isn't anything particularly rewarding from Cordon quest-givers anyway, and the trader in the bunker (who is the main quest giver early on) can't be killed. Just avoid the military until you have better weapons and keep pushing ahead.

Oreoleo

I've been loving the shit out of this game the past few days. Can't wait to beat it and get into CoP :D. Great stuff.

But where do the screen shots save to?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Orellio said:
I've been loving the shit out of this game the past few days. Can't wait to beat it and get into CoP :D. Great stuff.

Yeah, it's really a fantastic game. Clear Sky is all kinds of bullshit but I've gone back to SoC and played all the way through at least 4 or 5 times, with and without mods. I'm starting my second playthrough of CoP now.

Railer

Bought this during the Steam holiday sales and haven't touched it until today. And damn, this game is all kinds of awesome so far. I really like the atmosphere in the game.

Got a few questions though and the first one being that if there is any way to repair gear or weapons?
Also, anyway to increase how much you can carry? I go over the 50kg limit constantly and it takes ages to go back to town.
And third, is there any kind of quick travel in this game ?

JudgeN

Anyone get odd framedrop/stutters when using the complete mod? Hell sometimes I drops down to like 10 FPS. Ive tried different settings in game and all with the same results, tried lowering shadow quality to min, no AA, and disabling grass shadows.

System specs

Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz
4 Gigs Ram
Vista 64
4870 512 megs ram

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I get the occasional stutter, I just put it down to the game loading new assests and the strain complete is putting on the system/engine.

I just started playing this with my new rig. It plays swimmingly. I'm really enjoying it in an odd kind of way, especially since I'm always drawn to the super-polished/streamlined games. But, STALKER has some special charm to it.

Just made it underground for the first time. But, I can tell that some stuff is about to go down and I'm too much of a girl to play it at night. :/

This game is hard, weird, and it has more bugs than an ant colony.

I like it.

After getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC for $2 during the Steam Holiday sale, I finally got around to installing it, and playing the game for about 7 hours. It's so buggy I had to restart the game 4 times because of a weird bug, that would make the NPCs get stuck in walls. Not to mention, I had to learn the hard way to quicksave often. :lol

The atmosphere is great, and I already have my share of unique moments that just left me saying "Holly crap, WTF just happened?!".

In the story, I just finished helping a group of Stalkers defend this compound in the Garbage. How much more game do I have left?

Lasthope106 said:

I like it.

After getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC for $2 during the Steam Holiday sale, I finally got around to installing it, and playing the game for about 7 hours. It's so buggy I had to restart the game 4 times because of a weird bug, that would make the NPCs get stuck in walls. Not to mention, I had to learn the hard way to quicksave often. :lol

The atmosphere is great, and I already have my share of unique moments that just left me saying "Holly crap, WTF just happened?!".

In the story, I just finished helping a group of Stalkers defend this compound in the Garbage. How much more game do I have left?
Well that depends on how you play the game(sidequests, exploring) but you have plenty of game left. Garbage isn't very far, like 1/2 of the way through

Scipius

Lasthope106 said:

I like it.

There's nothing quite like STALKER. After CoP, I decided to try the Complete 2009 mod for SoC and happily spent another 70-80 hours in this game. It's a lot more stable than it used to be, though various glitches remain.

Lasthope106 said:

That depends on whether or not it's your first visit to the Garbage. Have you already been to Agroprom, the Bar or the Dark Valley? If not, you're not even half-way, probably more around a third at the most.

These games are very difficult to put a length to as there is so much you can do outside of actually 'doing anything'. Sometimes I just pick a place on the map and go see whats there. Often times i'm glad i did.

So I'm walking in the middle of this field, and I keep hearing dogs barking. Expecting some action, I equip my shotgun and look around in every direction for enemies, but there's nothing. Maybe it's a bug I think to myself, and safely I unequip the shotgun and continue walking. At about the fifth or sixth step a pyramid - yes a pyramid - of about 10 dogs and 4 boars spawns just in front of me. Frantically, I try to pull out a weapon, but because my health was low from a previous firefight, I die easily with all the dogs attacking me in unison.

:lol

I'm expecting great things from the rest of this game.

Scipius

Lasthope106 said:
So I'm walking in the middle of this field, and I keep hearing dogs barking. Expecting some action, I equip my shotgun and look around in every direction for enemies, but there's nothing. Maybe it's a bug I think to myself, and safely I unequip the shotgun and continue walking. At about the fifth or sixth step a pyramid - yes a pyramid - of about 10 dogs and 4 boars spawns just in front of me. Frantically, I try to pull out a weapon, but because my health was low from a previous firefight, I die easily with all the dogs attacking me in unison.

Ah yes, STALKER anecdotes, everyone has them. Amusing though the occassional glitches are, in most cases you can actually see them as part of the nature of the Zone, if you want them to.

Lasthope106 said:
I'm expecting great things from the rest of this game.

If you haven't yet been underground, you may not know what to expect...

Stitch

Gold Member
the underground parts are the creepiest parts i've ever seen in a game ;_;

oh yeah i have another funny spawn story:

one time i've killed all these soldiers, i think there were 5 or 6. i've looted their corpses and moved on when the game decided to spawn 10 soldiers right in front of me!

i died instantly

JoeMartin

Yeah, Agroprom Underground was short, but truly unsettling stuff.

Fucking Bloodsuckers still raise hairs on the back of my neck.

It's a sublime mix of the lovecraftian and mosters in closets.

Oreoleo

Scipius said:
Ah yes, STALKER anecdotes, everyone has them. Amusing though the occassional glitches are, in most cases you can actually see them as part of the nature of the Zone, if you want them to.

If you haven't yet been underground, you may not know what to expect...

oh god the first underground area
finding Strelok's hideout
was so fucking creepy D:

MDSLKTR

So I started replaying this with the complete mod after having finished the original 2 years ago. Holy shit. It's like a different game (could you join the factions in vanilla :lol ?).
The gunplay is brutal, it has that counter-strike speed and flow while being tactical. It just feels great to land a 100 meters long headshot while peeking trough a tiny hole in some concrete blocks to a guy patrolling on a guard tower while it's raining :D
<3 the community that supports the game

About to play this for the first time. Vanilla, or with the complete mod?

I want it to look better and everything, but does the mod take away some of the charm of the original? Am I going to have a lesser experience, or does it simply improve the game?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:

I want it to look better and everything, but does the mod take away some of the charm of the original? Am I going to have a lesser experience, or does it simply improve the game?

Simply improves the game, fixes some bugs. It's the only way to play Stalker nowadays.

Scipius

Foliorum Viridum said:

Do what I did: install the Complete mod, but follow the instructions in the PDF that comes with the mod and remove the new HUD and the auto-healing. The old HUD is "clunky", but that is exactly what STALKER itself is; the new HUD really feels out of place. The auto-healing is not a major impact, but it's for wimps anyway.

You may also want to increase the head-bobbing. The mod reduces it to near zero. The only thing remaining that I felt was not true to the original was the scopes (Gnomus'). They are of higher quality, but the old ones correctly restrict your vision to only the scope sight, whereas the new ones do not, giving you zoomed-in views around the scope. Supposedly more "modern" (read: console crap), but definitely a bit of a cheat.

subversus

Foliorum Viridum said:
Thanks. I'll install it now and tweak it as I see fit, then. :)

STALKER is hardcore enough even with self-healing (it stops your bleeding automotically). But if you find it too hard you can always turn healing back on.

Scipius

Yeah, the rest of the mod does improve the experience. It is a collection of various mods; most prominently the textures and environment system that the mod author worked on, but it also incorporates the tweaks of others that alleviate parts of the game that can become frustrating. E.g. you can carry 60 kilos instead of 50, you have 4 days to do a quest instead of only 1, etc. Some things, like the sleeping bag and I think the repair function simply reactivate code already present in vanilla, but not actived. Both may make the game a bit "easier", but both were also introduced in the following STALKER games anyway.

I played it for about two hours and, well, I'm going to continue, but it's not making it easy to love. The shooting mechanics are downright bad, if I'm honest, which cripples the whole thing at the moment, but I've heard so many stories on podcasts of people being addicted to the quirky nature of this game and the sequels that I'm going to give it more of a chance before I decide it's too obtuse and antiquated for me. :)

Once you get some better weapons, the shooting gets better. Firefights in the zone are mostly medium range and your weapons are pretty sucky at first. Trying to shoot an enemy from more than 10 meters is hard with the standard pistols and smg/rifles. One thing that irritated me in the beginning was that enemies were pretty hard to keep track of. It was hard to see enemies in the distance when aiming down iron sights. However, once you get accurate and scoped weapons, it gets a lot better.

I've only played this game for 20 hours though :p

bhlaab

OmegaDragon said:
Once you get some better weapons, the shooting gets better. Firefights in the zone are mostly medium range and your weapons are pretty sucky at first. Trying to shoot an enemy from more than 10 meters is hard with the standard pistols and smg/rifles. One thing that irritated me in the beginning was that enemies were pretty hard to keep track of. It was hard to see enemies in the distance when aiming down iron sights. However, once you get accurate and scoped weapons, it gets a lot better.

I've only played this game for 20 hours though :p

By the end of the game the weapons you have are so good that it kind of becomes boring. Nothing beats scraping by the cordon with a shitty starter pistol.

I'm down in the underground now and definitely getting into it a bit more. I have to be honest, the atmosphere is so good that I've jumped and screamed like a girl more than a few times when a monster has jumped out at me or I was suddenly shot from the shadows. :lol

I have the AK47 now which is improving the gunplay, but the lack of health is really punishing. I haven't had over 30% health in a good hour, I'd guess, as all I can find on bodies is guns and ammo. This makes the game tense, which is good, but it's not so fun when I have to die and re-load a save six or seven times just to progress. Also, I'm playing on the easiest difficulty, so there's nothing else for me to fall back on.

But, despite all of that, I am now finding it oddly compelling and want to continue playing. :D

subversus

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm down in the underground now and definitely getting into it a bit more. I have to be honest, the atmosphere is so good that I've jumped and screamed like a girl more than a few times when a monster has jumped out at me or I was suddenly shot from the shadows. :lol

I have the AK47 now which is improving the gunplay, but the lack of health is really punishing. I haven't had over 30% health in a good hour, I'd guess, as all I can find on bodies is guns and ammo. This makes the game tense, which is good, but it's not so fun when I have to die and re-load a save six or seven times just to progress. Also, I'm playing on the easiest difficulty, so there's nothing else for me to fall back on.

But, despite all of that, I am now finding it oddly compelling and want to continue playing. :D

Do you eat food? It replenishes health.

Loot the weapons from corpses, and trade them for medkits from npcs.
And if you've installed Complete 2009, use sleeping bag to restore health.

Everytime I've thought I've found a safe place to sleep I die. Even if I choose an obscure corner somewhere for just an hour. :(

And yeah, not much food is being dropped either at this point, and down in the tunnels there's nobody to trade with.

I think I'm coming to the end of them now, though, so I'll get rid of all the shit I don't need on the surface and stock up on health :)

Heh, I've come a long way since that last post. I got distracted by new releases over the last few weeks, but on Thursday I started playing this again, got hooked, and just completed it. :D

It's definitely punshing, right up until the end. There are very few games where my focus isn't so much on killing everything, finding all the cool secrets and taking every mission, but merely surviving. Even though it gets somewhat easier towards the end with more accurate guns etc, I very seldom felt like I was in a position of security. Whenever I ran out of ammo for one of my better guns and had to rely on the AK47 with its abysmal aiming I felt just as vulnerable as I did when I first entered The Zone with nothing at all.

Obviously this is greatly helped by the atmosphere of the game which lead to many terrifying moments, and some quite depressing ones. It got to the point where I simply wouldn't travel at night because I was ambushed so frequently and jumped out of my skin. As soon as dusk hit I set up my bed somewhere and waited it out. I remember that after the trip to the X16 lab which is pretty much pitch black and full of mutants, upon exiting and seeing daylight again I felt a genuine sensation of relief and happiness. It was probably the only time in the entire game. Wonderfully crafted (though I expect it's possible to come out at night and I was simply lucky to get that effect)
Another of my favourite moments was helping out a camp which was being attacked. I did it for a bit of money, and to loot the bodies of the attackers, and left feeling quite good about myself as I carried on with my journey. Then, travelling back later on, there were several mutants near the campsite dead and half of the camp was dead. On my third trip through there wasn't a single survivor. It made returning to another camp where there was a group of guys around a fire playing an acoustic guitar extremely poignant.

So yeah, for all of the rough edges and obtuse gameplay designs... it all works incredibly well. It's unforgiving in its approach to the genre and I really appreciate that. I'm going to dig in to Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat soon, but not right away. I think I'd die from stress/anxiety if I played them all in a short space of time. :lol

One of the best FPS ever, simply.

Facism

Sorry to bump this thread, but my brother recently bought Stalker for steam and has issues with his resolution.

He's using a 1440x900 LCD. Whenever he starts the game, he gets an "OUT OF RANGE" decal flashing around the screen. You can hear the starting videos and then the menu music. I've tried editing the user.ltx file to change the resolution, but it doesn't work.

Does anybody have a solution to this? I solved it for myself for the retail version a year ago but i'm at aloss at how to solve this for him now.

[edit] Solved. Basically, you need to create C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\stalker-shoc and copy -> paste user.ltx into it, then any changes to the file will be represented ingame. I didn't have that folder or path and had to create it myself.

Fucking hassle trying to get this thing to work. Seems to be an issue with the steam version of the game, it has a redundant user.ltx in the _appdata_ folder that does nothing. Install stalker complete 2009 and it creates a user.ltx in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Documents\STALKER-SHOC which is equally as useless.

Top Bottom