• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just met the barkeep for the first time and got a scoped rifle.

What an incredible game. Escaping with the military documents had my heart pounding.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Y2Kev said:

What an incredible game. Escaping with the military documents had my heart pounding.

Playing Complete?

Y2Kev

_tetsuo_ said:
Playing Complete?
Yep. There were like 600 people in the building and I just ran like hell up the stairs to the roof and I found a ladder. Of course I fell down the side of the building anyway. Just barely survived :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Y2Kev said:
Yep. There were like 600 people in the building and I just ran like hell up the stairs to the roof and I found a ladder. Of course I fell down the side of the building anyway. Just barely survived :lol

Ya that part was crazy. Wait until you get to the lab, though. Come back and post your impressions after that :lol

Y2Kev

_tetsuo_ said:
Ya that part was crazy. Wait until you get to the lab, though. Come back and post your impressions after that :lol
I couldn't take any more. I used all my med kits and my armor was shot to shit. I ran all the way to the bar before I shot another bullet. :lol

Mr_Elysia

Just started playing this. About two hours in so far. My t.v. is set up in GT5 cockpit mode right now about a foot and a half from the g27. The wheel unclamped and my keyboard and mouse replaced in front of me I had hoped the distance would be alright. Now I don't get motion sickness or sea sickness or vertigo or any movement based sickness easily, but something about the way you move in this game is like looking up at a skyscraper. I got used to it eventually but I can see how this game could easily cause motion sickness in people who have a weaker stomach for movements.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Y2Kev said:

Oh I reached to steal the documents at night. The sneaking was so much fun. I turned off my flashlight, so I couldnt see anything either. It was pitch black. I was blind and they were blind. I had control key (crouch, sneak) the whole time. Damn! I couldnt even see the stairs most of the time. It was really great, so good.
And I find the sneaking very satisfying, but most of the time only when its night. Remember to keep your flashlight turned off and always crouch (keep an eye on the noise meter).

Reading the wikipedia page on S.T.A.L.K.E.R and came across this:

At the end of February 2009, due to popular demand GSC Game World released "xrCore" build 1935, dated October 18, 2004.[22] It uses a completely different physics engine with many cut monsters, levels, and vehicles. It was also significantly larger than the retail release. It is however somewhat unstable, but features the full game along with a "fully functional ALife system". It is currently available for free download from the GSC servers and mirrors.[23]

http://files.gsc-game.com:3128/oldbuild/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az4ZzioKOlI

Why have I never heard of this?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mr_Elysia said:
Just started playing this. About two hours in so far. My t.v. is set up in GT5 cockpit mode right now about a foot and a half from the g27. The wheel unclamped and my keyboard and mouse replaced in front of me I had hoped the distance would be alright. Now I don't get motion sickness or sea sickness or vertigo or any movement based sickness easily, but something about the way you move in this game is like looking up at a skyscraper. I got used to it eventually but I can see how this game could easily cause motion sickness in people who have a weaker stomach for movements.

Playing without complete mod? How dare you! It's very easy to install and comes with a hefty manual which includes troubleshooting section just in case.

Mr_Elysia

subversus said:
Playing without complete mod? How dare you! It's very easy to install and comes with a hefty manual which includes troubleshooting section just in case.

Is moddb reputable? Sorry, I did check the OT for mods but there were none listed.

Edit:The complete 2009 is presented with 2012 as presently in production. Wonder if I should just wait. No that sounds pretty silly doesn't it...

subversus

Mr_Elysia said:
Is moddb reputable? Sorry, I did check the OT for mods but there were none listed.

Edit:The complete 2009 is presented with 2012 as presently in production. Wonder if I should just wait. No that sounds pretty silly doesn't it...

2009 complete was finished in 2009.

Mr_Elysia

Lasthope106 said:
Son, we need to talk. Moddb is THE mod source destination of the internet.

Haha, fair enough. I usually play games as they are released because for some reason I like to believe that it is as they are intended. There's not much sense to the line of thinking really when all things are taken into consideration.

Edit: Downloading now. Thanks guys. Glad you didn't wait till I was twenty hours in.

Edit 2: What a world of difference.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But what part of the Zone attracts you? Just the eerie desolation or the oppressive tension as well? The second really isn't possible without the aggressive nature of the AI; the Zone is after all a deadly place.
The desolation, I suppose. I engage in urban exploration in real life (like so many others) and find abandoned buildings to be incredibly seductive. The areas in which STALKER take place are like a wet dream for me. I'm in love with the environment.

Was hoping for gameplay closer to something like Thief meets Deus Ex. I didn't expect massive armies to break the isolation on a constant basis. They are annoyingly aggressive all the time and completely kills any sense of exploration and atmosphere for me. It's as if they've created the framework for a game I would love and then ruined it by flooding everything with legions of brain dead enemies.

Scipius

dark10x said:
The desolation, I suppose. I engage in urban exploration in real life (like so many others) and find abandoned buildings to be incredibly seductive. The areas in which STALKER take place are like a wet dream for me. I'm in love with the environment.

Was hoping for gameplay closer to something like Thief meets Deus Ex. I didn't expect massive armies to break the isolation on a constant basis. They are annoyingly aggressive all the time and completely kills any sense of exploration and atmosphere for me. It's as if they've created the framework for a game I would love and then ruined it by flooding everything with legions of brain dead enemies.

Well, it really does sound STALKER regretably isn't for you. The Zone is actively trying to kill you as you approach the core areas; it's not an adventure. I can sympathise with you to an extent; I would say that the constant respawning of enemies at certain locations can get a bit frustrating after a while if you travel around a lot (as I do), but the actual firefight does make up for it.

"Legions of brain dead enemies" is an exaggeration, really. There are never that many opponents and STALKER's AI is quite capable, especially compared to other shooters. Actually, what you see in vanilla is a fairly toned down AI; people have reported that fully unleashing STALKER's original AI resulted in chaos...

bhlaab

When I was in an underground level with a bunch of military guys in the next room and I know that if I poked my head out they'd massacre me. So I'm sitting there trying to do the typical FPS AI stuff where you funnel them through a doorway and kill them as they run through.

Except I'm waiting. And I'm waiting. And I'm waiting. Then I turn around, there's a military guy there literally tip toeing behind me with his gun out. Fucker snuck around the entire map to get me. And the second I am able to register what happened he DID get me.

I like STALKER's AI.

subversus

notsol337 said:
I remember when I went to steal the military documents. I sat in a building and killed nearly everyone in the doorway :D

I tried to do it but they kept shooting at me through windows. So I cleared out the doorway with the grenade and ran out in the zone.

notsol337

marked forever
subversus said:
I tried to do it but they kept shooting at me through windows. So I cleared out the doorway with the grenade and ran out in the zone.

I was crouched in a corner just waiting. It took awhile but totally worth it!

So, after being stuck in the last area without having found the decoder I was somewhat disheartened that I would have to settle for a bad ending.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found myself in this less then desirable position.

But I've stumbled upon a solution! You can force locked doors open by dropping a Gauss Rifle "into" them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1_nizEqg8

I used this trick on the code locked door and also a standard locked door. Got the good ending, which allows you to keep exploring the zone once you are done.

1-D_FTW

notsol337 said:
I remember when I went to steal the military documents. I sat in a building and killed nearly everyone in the doorway :D

Was that the base just outside the opening camp?

I took that camp before I got the mission. Killed like a hundred guys before I cleared it out and could walk inside unmolested.

Then later on, when I get the official mission to attack, I'm told there's only 2 guys guarding it if you go at X time.:lol

subversus said:
Yes, AI in STALKER differs from other shooters by having an agenda :lol

SPOILERS below:

I had one encounter with the AI that was particularly memorable towards the later part of the game. In the road you have to take to get to Pripyat a firefight broke lose right next to the red forest. There were quite a few enemies flanking, throwing grenades, and taking cover. I remember it took a while to kill every single Monolith soldier that was shooting at me. Once all enemies were down I holstered my weapon and continued down the road.

However, to my surprise, there was a single Monolith soldier which took cover for minutes, and just hid there quiet behind a large rock. When I passed the rock, this guy started shooting me. My health was decreasing rapidly so I equipped the most powerful weapon I had and shot him. He went down immediately but wasn't dead as the cross-hair was still glowing red. I slowly walked toward him, and noticed he was holding something on his hand. When I got closer he dropped the damn thing and my eyes went wide as I realized what it was. A fucking grenade!

I sat there with my jaw wide open to what just had happened. That was the most "emergent" video game experience I've ever had in a video game.

Dennis

Banned
These screenshots are all with the Complete 2009 mod.

The atmosphere in this and the other STALKER games is so unique. There is nothing else like it. I hope they can maintain the visual style even with the new engine for STALKER 2.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Poimandres said:
So, after being stuck in the last area without having found the decoder I was somewhat disheartened that I would have to settle for a bad ending.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found myself in this less then desirable position.

But I've stumbled upon a solution! You can force locked doors open by dropping a Gauss Rifle "into" them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1_nizEqg8

I used this trick on the code locked door and also a standard locked door. Got the good ending, which allows you to keep exploring the zone once you are done.

Never knew that. I just tossed grenades in through the window to get the decoder or whatever within reach.

Verdre said:
Never knew that. I just tossed grenades in through the window to get the decoder or whatever within reach.

I'd actually missed the part with the decoder (the only part of the game I rushed through... doh!) and didn't have any saves within several hours of that area.

The weapon in the door hinge trick can apparently be used to open any locked doors in the game. Now that I'm done with the story, I'm going to explore the zone unlocking every door :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i just reached "The bar" in this game. So far this has been fucking amazing. Right before i got out of the sewers alittle while back some creature attacked me and scared the shit out of me. Reloaded my save and tossed like 3 grenades at that little psychic fucker.

There are some genuinely dreadful parts of this game, atmosphere-wise. The Complete Mod added even more with the day/night cycle. Firefights in an abandoned apartment complex at night are amazing.

Sotha Sil

The Big Rig said:
There are some genuinely dreadful parts of this game, atmosphere-wise. The Complete Mod added even more with the day/night cycle. Firefights in an abandoned apartment complex at night are amazing.

God, this. Infiltrating the military base, at night, and getting to the top of the building surrounded by the sounds of helicopters, monster screaming outside and gunfire, was incredibly intense. I try not to save often to add some challenge; makes the stealth part all the more stressful.

What an amazing game, indeed. And what an incredible mod.

DangerStepp

DennisK4 said:
These screenshots are all with the Complete 2009 mod.

The atmosphere in this and the other STALKER games is so unique. There is nothing else like it. I hope they can maintain the visual style even with the new engine for STALKER 2.

/images
Those shots are spectacular. What other mods did you use in addition to the 2009 (weapon updates, etc.)?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So why does this game studder so bad? Running complete mod 2009 and i get 60FPS+ always but when weather starts(Sometimes) or every 20 mins or so i get a game stopping studder that freezes the game for like 2-5 seconds.

Ive never experienced this in any other game before and running fraps always says 60FPS. Its not game breaking or bad in anyway since its not too often but kinda had me worried something was wrong with my GPU ect...

I just got a scope for my Ak-47 and ohh my god everything just drops dead now.

JADS

Metalic Sand said:
So why does this game studder so bad? Running complete mod 2009 and i get 60FPS+ always but when weather starts(Sometimes) or every 20 mins or so i get a game stopping studder that freezes the game for like 2-5 seconds.

Ive never experienced this in any other game before and running fraps always says 60FPS. Its not game breaking or bad in anyway since its not too often but kinda had me worried something was wrong with my GPU ect...

I just got a scope for my Ak-47 and ohh my god everything just drops dead now.

Yeah that's normal, I have the same "problems". The engine that all three STALKER games use can only utilize one CPU core. So yeah, that can lead to stuttering and all other kinds of nastiness if a lot of stuff is going one. You could try setting thread affinity to one core in the windows task manager, that got rid of some of the stuttering for me.

DangerStepp

DennisK4 said:
I remember seeing an update to the 2009 complete, though I could be wrong.

I just started up a new game the other day--I'm going to finish it this time. I think I may go through normally and then start a new one with the complete 2009. Whaddya think?

I just recently installed this again and downloaded the updated 2009 Complete. Man what a great game. I plan to put some time into this one, however, I'm playing on Novice. What more can I say than "this game is fucking awesome?"

Dennis

Banned
DangerStepp said:
I remember seeing an update to the 2009 complete, though I could be wrong.

I just started up a new game the other day--I'm going to finish it this time. I think I may go through normally and then start a new one with the complete 2009. Whaddya think?
If you are asking me if you should quit and then start over with Complete 2009 then: yes, you should.

Link to newest version - STALKER Complete 2009 1.4.4 (scroll down)

http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/

chixdiggit

What an amazing game, just finished it a couple of days ago.
I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is kind of like the punk rock of video games. The game is raw and unpolished in many ways but its kind of what makes it good.

Sotha Sil

chixdiggit said:
What an amazing game, just finished it a couple of days ago.
I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is kind of like the punk rock of video games. The game is raw and unpolished in many ways but its kind of what makes it good.

That's what I like about it, really. And this quality is part of what makes it feel... real, I guess. Venturing into the Zone, you know anything can happen, and that anything can kill you. Apart from the map and the quest pointers, there is next to no hand-holding. You're lost into a tunnel full of bandits, soldiers and invisible monsters, and you're nearly out of ammo? Tough luck. Nice knowing you. You really feel like you have to prepare; that you have to plan your actions in advance, because the world - and the game - doesn't give a damn about you.

(Note: realistic difficulty and limited saving are indeed a plus.)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Alright i've done this one mission like 10 times now. Supposively its possible but i don't believe it is. I'm trying to save professor kruglov.

The ai is this game is horrible in so many ways. Half the time he dies during that cinematic i have to watch everytime i want to do this mission. So much frustration from this.

Edit: It seems the mission was bugged for me all those times, Unreal. 14th time he doesn't go out and die but stands still and lets me talk to him to escape.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I went into "The Lab" tonight and was pretty much so scared i kinda sat there for a second wondering wth i was hearing/seeing. I unloaded a full 30 clip into nothing :lol

The orange radiation suit has by far the best vision in the game so far. Nightvision is okay.

Metalic Sand said:
I went into "The Lab" tonight and was pretty much so scared i kinda sat there for a second wondering wth i was hearing/seeing. I unloaded a full 30 clip into nothing :lol

The orange radiation suit has by far the best vision in the game so far. Nightvision is okay.
CoP has some even scarier parts. There's a fucking baby crying.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
The Big Rig said:
CoP has some even scarier parts. There's a fucking baby crying.

ughh that must be scary :lol

Just encountered some "zombie" guys. I crouched down thinking to myself what is that? Looked like a regular guy hunched over like he may be sick from radiation but there all mindless and start firing on me. Freaky!

been streaming as i play as well. No idea how good it comes through though. Livestream/MetalicSand

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Just brought a new gaming rig. Played about 5-6 hours so far and I love it! I just entered the lab and saved. Once I go home I will begin my quest again!

Dennis

Banned
deejay8595 said:
Just brought a new gaming rig. Played about 5-6 hours so far and I love it! I just entered the lab and saved. Once I go home I will begin my quest again!
You should get the two sequels as well. I am sure you can find them cheap.

Solo

GAF, I need your assistance. Im replaying the game for the first time since I beat it in 2007. I am inside the Chernobyl NPP, just minutes from the endgame, but I cannot proceed. Too little health, too little supplies, too much radiation.

So what Im looking for is a trainer or a god more or whatever so that I can finish the damn thing. I beat it legit the first time, but its just impossible this time, so cheating here I come! If anyone has such a thing it would be greatly appreciated.

bee

Solo said:
GAF, I need your assistance. Im replaying the game for the first time since I beat it in 2007. I am inside the Chernobyl NPP, just minutes from the endgame, but I cannot proceed. Too little health, too little supplies, too much radiation.

So what Im looking for is a trainer or a god more or whatever so that I can finish the damn thing. I beat it legit the first time, but its just impossible this time, so cheating here I come! If anyone has such a thing it would be greatly appreciated.

there's loads of them at that famous no cd site that is obviously banned from being mentioned

Top Bottom