• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I haven't seen a cutscene that takes place in Stillwater. All I got was
a cutscene where the Saints are on a bridge and getting attacked after killing Loren and taking over his clone lab
That bridge and the city they're in is Stillwater and the city is even called out in the speech. I've driven over it many many times in the earlier game. The skyline is also familiarly Stillwater and not Steelport. ;P

haha at that
bdsm mission
haha hilarious and the chase was dfsjkhfdsfsfdslkjfds lol

amazing game, now i just need it to be on sale for black friday from amazon, a long shot but i can dream :(

Huggy

Happened off camera. I assume that's part of why they went back to Stilwater.

That bridge and the city they're in is Stillwater and the city is even called out in the speech. I've driven over it many many times in the earlier game. The skyline is also familiarly Stillwater and not Steelport. ;P

Okay, so the event is the bridge.
But when Shaundi says the Syndicate has to
pay for what they did at the funeral
, that's really sloppy, budget problems or not.
Oh well, back to blowing stuff up.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think it's just poorly written dialogue at that part - that sequence is technically a part of said event, it just happens somewhat afterwards.

ArchAngel

Is there a mission select mode after you finished everything? Didn't find it :(

And "Holding out for a Hero" for the last mission was bad ass :D

B-Dex

I just went a cross with another instance where they talk about events that happened in Stillwater. Seriously, are they going to explain what happened in DLC or something?
It feels like I'm missing out on some major plot component.

The bridge being blown up was in stillwater

Oh Volition, why give me a Sophie's Choice...

Fucking Burt Reynolds

OR

Zombie homies

Ah hell naw, quite easy which one to pick right? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNKq1AJ_KAA&feature=related

Man this is some catchy shit. It's from the Gen X radio station btw.

I also put my speakers up real high when this song comes up

Dilemn - Pitiless

When it played during a certain mission my face went fuckyea.jpg, bass pumping full out and my friend coming in the room to check out the hot beat. Amazing.

Ploid 3.0

Wow these missions. It reminds me of Uncharted in how the action gets kicked up to 11, but here it goes to 13 or something. Though it don't linger much and gets interrupted by a load screen or weird pause after a cutscene.

If they make another one this gen I hope they have the time and resources to take it even further and keep the blood pumping. These kind of action situations fits so well in a sandbox game. (example) From building to chase sequence, then standoff type stuff. It's not limited to a linear world situation, so it feel like you are actually running away.

MYeager

Okay, so the event is the bridge.
Oh well, back to blowing stuff up.

If you think that's sloppy, you should see some of the other stuff that happens. Spoilers for the ending and other things:

DO NOT READ if you have not finished the game.

If you choose to remove Killbane's mask, he'll be wearing it in another cutscene at the end of the game anyway. If you choose to go after Killbane he'll be back without his mask again. Angel tells you not to kill him and let him live in shame, but then at the end of the game Angel tells you it's more important to go kill Killbane than save Shaundi.

If you go after Killbane the Saints take over Steelport, and make Pierce the mayor, despite having the current mayor on their side.

At the beginning of the last mission the main character says that the Saints will never sell out again and will not do a Ganstas in Space movie. If you do save Shaundi, you end up playing an epilogue mission where the Saints are in fact making Gangstas in Space.

STAG blows up the Saints HQ and there's a mission where you move out, but after it is just fine and you continue to take missions from there.

Maybe they got rushed, seems lame that they cut multiplayer to focus on the single player, but so much of the main story missions are just training for different activities and the writing is sloppy.

nateeasy

Banned
Im confused on how the taunting/complementing works. Ive done the taunts several times but my saintsbook still shows 0/50. Any help?

obonicus

At the beginning of the last mission the main character says that the Saints will never sell out again and will not do a Ganstas in Space movie. If you do save Shaundi, you end up playing an epilogue mission where the Saints are in fact making Gangstas in Space.

That's actually not contradictory.
That's the sell-out ending. The idea, I imagine, is that gangstas don't give a fuck about homies -- thug life is about not letting anyone get away with shit. Hence not killing Killbane = Sellout. Note that it's also the 'happy ending', as per the movie clicker.

On the note of endings
is it just me or does the Gangstas in Space Killbane boss fight play out like a lampoon of Uncharted 2's boss fight?

Ploid 3.0

New saints row 3 mods. http://idolninja.com/

Temporary weapons made permanent (as in they are selectable and changeable with your other weapons).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTpeZW5Ee4Y&feature=player_embedded

Additional effect on incendiary and explosion rounds removed but keep the stat upgrade from level 4 upgrades.
https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9

Mod community site/forums (guy with Gentlemen of the Row)

Edit: Minigun using Rockets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yJ9_x3YUl14

Has there been any info on the DLC? I was thinking about getting the season pass.

Three mission packs will be released for SR3 in the coming months: Mission Packs

Genkibowl VII (Scheduled to be available January 2012) - The Wide World of Genki takes over Steelport for a sporting tradition totally and utterly unlike any other.

Gangstas in Space (Scheduled to be available Winter 2012) - The Saints go intergalactic in this science-fiction misadventure.

The Trouble With Clones (Scheduled to be available Spring 2012) - Copy-cat killing at its finest.

Messi

Three mission packs will be released for SR3 in the coming months: Mission Packs

Genkibowl VII (Scheduled to be available January 2012) - The Wide World of Genki takes over Steelport for a sporting tradition totally and utterly unlike any other.

Gangstas in Space (Scheduled to be available Winter 2012) - The Saints go intergalactic in this science-fiction misadventure.

The Trouble With Clones (Scheduled to be available Spring 2012) - Copy-cat killing at its finest.

hey, i got the market cornered on olivia wilde avatars :p. nice to see someone with good taste for a change.

My opinion has softened on this game a bit, when you get into the actual missions (not side missions) its amazing but the side mission stuff they force you into are for the most part terrible.

MYeager

That's actually not contradictory.
That's the sell-out ending. The idea, I imagine, is that gangstas don't give a fuck about homies -- thug life is about not letting anyone get away with shit. Hence not killing Killbane = Sellout. Note that it's also the 'happy ending', as per the movie clicker.

On the note of endings
is it just me or does the Gangstas in Space Killbane boss fight play out like a lampoon of Uncharted 2's boss fight?

It's contradictory when you consider
the entire motivation for the story of Saints Row The Third is getting revenge for the death of one of your homies, and then fucking up his funeral procession.

Plus they have a funeral for someone he could have saved, and Angel telling you that Killbane must die completely contradicts his saying to let him live in shame earlier. I mean if Angel really wanted him dead, that opportunity existed during Murderbrawl.

XAL

the entire motivation for the story of Saints Row The Third is getting revenge for the death of one of your homies, and then fucking up his funeral procession.

Plus they have a funeral for someone he could have saved, and Angel telling you that Killbane must die completely contradicts his saying to let him live in shame earlier. I mean if Angel really wanted him dead, that opportunity existed during Murderbrawl.

When playing it I said out loud, "hey this is exactly like
Uncharted 2's boss fight
but with less jumping"...

obonicus

What you said isn't contradictory at all.
Also, the motivation isn't so much Gat's death -- Shaundi is hung up on it, the boss wants to take down the whole Syndicate because Steelport is YOUR city now.

Also (MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS)
having a funeral for Shaundi isn't a problem at all -- it's not that the boss doesn't care that she dies, but rather that her death is less important than not letting Killbane get away with nonsense. It's the sort of thing SR2 boss would have done, and did with Maero.

The Angel thing I didn't want to disagree with, because you have a point. But on the other hand, Killbane was the one pulling the shit that led to the city nearly being destroyed, with STAG going all-out vs the Luchadores. That's the context in which they can't let him get away with it. I guess Angel was flat-out wrong that demasking him was enough to defeat him (also, I think that the game 'assumes' that no one would take something lame like Killbane's mask over the apocofist -- though I did)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
after few hours of playing this game.

-Crazy game is crazy,I am looking forward to destroy the other gangs but for now what I played and saw was insane.

-Needed some time to "feel" the game, the intro was too crazy to let you smell the "Saints Row" soul but it don't take much longer to know you are in a real SR game.

-Gunplay/shooting is really good,not as good as Red Faction: Guerrilla but it's almost there, which is really good since this type of games usually have shitty shooting.

-Driving is really great, need few time to get used but it's good and feel good.

-I Need more pedestrian in the street ( a patch will be nice), I guess they made this with console limitation in mind but a patch to have more people in the street for fuck with is really needed.

-Steelport size is alright, not big not too small, I like smaller maps, but I think it's alright,UI don't know how to say this but it don't have that feel of the Neo Stilwater, it's like the old Stilwater (in SR1) I guess.

-Again Laura Bailey's performance is good, I am happy about that so many kudos for her work
AIaiQ.gif

but still not good as Katie Semine tho. :(

-Troy Baker was too much Nolan North-ish for my taste.

-Leveling system is great, too much shit to upgrade.

-PC version is good, no problem, no crash yet, run great, another flawless PC work from Volition. (sorry for AMD people)

-It look great graphically speaking, models, cars and everything look very good, a nice surprise really.

- UI is great with mouse or with a 360 controller, Bethesda should take some notes.

so yeah, Good stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've played 2 hours of this game and it's fucking amazing. It sounds like the voice actress from SR2 is back as well, which makes the game doubly amazing.

I'm curious though, I'm at the point where you need to choose a bonus - which one ends up paying off better in the long run?

obonicus

I chose the money, because early on money seems more scarce than respect, and there are far more respect bonuses than cash bonuses (I had +10% cash, but +60% respect) by end-game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
obonicus said:
I chose the money, because early on money seems more scarce than respect, and there are far more respect bonuses than cash bonuses (I had % cash, but +60% respect) by end-game.
Ah, that makes sense. They don't lock out story missions based on respect this time around, do they?

MYeager

What you said isn't contradictory at all.
Also, the motivation isn't so much Gat's death -- Shaundi is hung up on it, the boss wants to take down the whole Syndicate because Steelport is YOUR city now.

Also (MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS)
having a funeral for Shaundi isn't a problem at all -- it's not that the boss doesn't care that she dies, but rather that her death is less important than not letting Killbane get away with nonsense. It's the sort of thing SR2 boss would have done, and did with Maero.

The Angel thing I didn't want to disagree with, because you have a point. But on the other hand, Killbane was the one pulling the shit that led to the city nearly being destroyed, with STAG going all-out vs the Luchadores. That's the context in which they can't let him get away with it. I guess Angel was flat-out wrong that demasking him was enough to defeat him (also, I think that the game 'assumes' that no one would take something lame like Killbane's mask over the apocofist -- though I did)

What are you talking about? They were leaving Steelport. The boss never considered it 'his' city. He was getting revenge on the Syndicate after the attack on the bridge. Steelport wasn't considered his city until STAG made an issue out of it. He got a team together in order to take them out (not that you really get to take any of them out unless you go with the Killbane ending). Right after you kill the Belgian dude he even says 'Let's go home'.

If it was important to kill Killbane, then why didn't he at any of the moments he could have? The main character even says 'let's go shoot him' and was told no. That wasn't the way to do things.

As far as his mask, again it was on when he was running to the plane, then off again when you take the plane down. That's just sloppy no matter what way you cut it. If they didn't want people to take his mask, they shouldn't have made it an option and have Angel encourage it. Or at the very least program it so that the choice would actually reflect later in the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Very nice. Hopefully it sees a release soon.

Well there is some cool results already, and unlike Gentlemen of the Row/SR2 they don't have to fix the game, but just add stuff so yeah I hope soon.

I've been away so this would have been spoken about but is the PC version good this time because of the in-house development?

I think it's the definitive version this time because it was simultaneously developed with the console versions ( mean it's not a port)

obonicus

What are you talking about? They were leaving Steelport. The boss never considered it 'his' city. He was getting revenge on the Syndicate after the attack on the bridge. Steelport wasn't considered his city until STAG made an issue out of it. He got a team together in order to take them out (not that you really get to take any of them out unless you go with the Killbane ending). Right after you kill the Belgian dude he even says 'Let's go home'.

You're right, I got confused. Still, the issue was about the
sellout/happy ending. I did phrase myself poorly, saying that they don't care about homies. They do care, inasmuch as revenge is caring. But between fulfilling important goals through violence (killing Killbane for trying to destroy Steelport) and just letting it slide so you can save your homies, violence comes first, especially for the Boss. Personally, I still read it as the 'happy' ending being the sellout ending. Which is why one has Gangstas in Space and the other has the Saints declaring themselves a government. (You're right about Burt Reynolds -- he showed up unsummoned during the previous mission, maybe he was supposed to die there?)

If it was important to kill Killbane, then why didn't he at any of the moments he could have? The main character even says 'let's go shoot him' and was told no. That wasn't the way to do things.

Well, the main reason is that it's much funnier if they make the whole thing seem like it's out of WWE. Just going up to a Luchador and shooting him in the head would out of genre. Complaining about plotholes or logic errors misses the point. The other reason is Killbane is starting a new mess of trouble by the end of the game. There is a problem there, in that it would be more keeping in genre if Killbane wasn't raising trouble by the end -- Killbane really needed a toady/manager.

As far as his mask, again it was on when he was running to the plane, then off again when you take the plane down. That's just sloppy no matter what way you cut it. If they didn't want people to take his mask, they shouldn't have made it an option and have Angel encourage it. Or at the very least program it so that the choice would actually reflect later in the game.

I don't disagree here, they goofed.

Which hood is the hardest to take over by force?

The luchadores are the most annoying to fight against, thanks to their mini-grenades.

The_Dude

For some reason, the Saints Book says I've finished 6 of the 30 challenges, even though only five are complete when I look at the list. Anyone else had this happen? Hope it doesn't mess anything up with getting 100%.

Edit:
So, I see more challenges open later, and the one I'd finished was one of them. No problems then!

jediyoshi

You may be correct about a few things, but you are taking this game way too seriously.

The game isn't exempt from sloppy plot points because the events that take place within it are inherently absurd, they're not mutually exclusive critiques.

MYeager

You may be correct about a few things, but you are taking this game way too seriously.

I don't think it's too much to expect the developers to be able to keep the continuity of their game from one cutscene to the very next cutscene.

Saints Row 2 is my favorite game on the 360, and Saints Row 3 was the game I was looking forward to the most this year. I personally found it extremely disappointing, and not just in what I listed. Since they said they didn't include multiplayer to focus on the single player, the fact that the single player has a lot of sloppy mistakes, missing a lot of features from the previous title, and has DLC on day one that's just a 316KB unlock...well yeah, it's hard not to take that seriously.

I'm glad people are enjoying it, but it feels like a step back to me, and since I spent $60 on it, that pisses me off.

Top Bottom