• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point will they feel that upping the res is overkill. You could argue that 1080p for a phone the size of a Note is a bit much. I mean, I can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p videos on my note 3. 1440p? That's a little ridiculous. Those 1440p screens won't come cheap. Maybe they could have put that money somewhere else... Faster CPU? More RAM?

they have the fastest cpu and the most ram.

and metal edges. and an SD slot. and a big battery. and 32GB standard storage. and a wacom panel and EMR stylus.

what you should ask is why isn't everyone else charging less. at least Moto is, but the other peeps... what's up with them?

1+1

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Damn, Faceless is killing em.

My note 2 is running pretty well still. That kitkat update made all the difference. Wish we could get some solid. Stock android on here. I'm sure it would run better than a nexus 4.

ILoveBish

I'll be sticking with note 2 still. Note 4 is a stop gap phone. No water proof, no 64 bit CPU, no 4 gigs ram, no android L out of the box (not the phones fault). Next year will be so much better.

Krilekk

Banned
At what point will they feel that upping the res is overkill. You could argue that 1080p for a phone the size of a Note is a bit much. I mean, I can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p videos on my note 3. 1440p? That's a little ridiculous. Those 1440p screens won't come cheap. Maybe they could have put that money somewhere else... Faster CPU? More RAM?

Samsung is making those displays. Produktion costs go down by producing lots of them. Progress is life, if they start staying where they are they are as dead as Nokia within three years. I only wish they would make the same progress with batteries.

Bummer there is no new Note 10.1 Tablet. I've been waiting on that for a few months. I hope they dont skip that one for that rumored "foldable" tablet they have coming in 2015.

zpiders

I think the Note Edge looks pretty slick. I have had my note 2 for almost 2 years now and is due an upgrade so I may seriously look into getting the edge.

Whilst it may look gimmicky, I remember when the note 1 was announced and how people laughed it off. Large phones are now everywhere with even Apple jumping on board!

DarkFlow

Banned
The edge is meh. It looks okay I guess, but not very useful in the scheme of things. At least it's something different, so props for that at least.

Google gets high praise for taking up screen space for 3 software buttons that complete 3 functions while Samsung gets derided for an implementation that adds extra screen space specifically set aside for a host of functions including shortcuts, information display, navigation, controls, measurement, etc...

if that phone was the six, there would be near universal praise for its genius. questions would be asked like "why didn't anyone else think of this" and when fingers were pointed at the Samsung Continuum, the response would be 'this time it was done right' followed that ruler image. tech reporters would relentlessly hound app dev twitter accounts asking when their app would be updated to add something to the side panel and any positive response would be followed up by a small tornado of articles about it.

DJwest

In as much as I love the edge design, I hope that there is an option to have notifications on the main screen in addition to the side screen. My only concern so far, the phone looks slick.

effzee

Couldn't find a dedicated Samsung Galaxy 5 thread so figure I'd ask here:

Have Samsung Galaxy 5. My son (6 month old) was messing around with it the other day and now my notification display on the top is gone. Meaning I can still drag down the notifications bar and see my wifi/location/sound/blutooth/screen rotation settings along with apps open but on the home page I used to see battery %, time, data/wifi, and signal strength. I have no clue what my son did but I don't see it anymore and I have gone through seemingly every settings option to find it.

Any help? Figure some seasoned Samsung users might know.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
As someone typing on a Note 3 right now who considers it one of human beings greatest accomplishments I have to say that Edge is growing on me by the second. I think it's beautiful.

reading on all the info sure make me want a Note4, but on the other hand I love the S5 also. what are some of the most unique features the pen does on the Note? and anyone know when will it be able for Sprint? I'm still running a S3 and really hoping to switch soon.

Loxley

reading on all the info sure make me want a Note4, but on the other hand I love the S5 also. what are some of the most unique features the pen does on the Note? and anyone know when will it be able for Sprint? I'm still running a S3 and really hoping to switch soon.

It'll be available on Sprint (and I assume every other major US carrier) in October - unfortunately they didn't specifically say when in October yet. You can pre-register for the Note 4 on Sprint's website right now.

Schlep

The rumored release date is October 10th. Would make sense as it gives 3 weeks for all the iPhone hysteria to die down a bit and for carrier stores to recover.

DJwest

Damn. The iPhone 6 OT is already at 100+ pages, no hype here ? I'm going to assume it's because it's out next week. Can't wait for reviews of the Edge and Note 4. More inclined towards the Edge now.

Damn. The iPhone 6 OT is already at 100+ pages, no hype here ? I'm going to assume it's because it's out next week. Can't wait for reviews of the Edge and Note 4. More inclined towards the Edge now.

Lots of hate and truth bombs in all those Apple threads.

Android-GAF is getting stronger and stronger.

I dont need a review for the Note 4, it will be mine regardless. Just need a release date.

Volotaire

Well, it's the next large evolution of the iPhone, and there's a new size. And it's Apple, it's always going to garner interest.

luiztfc

I'm still rocking my Note 2, but I'm kinda on the fence with the Note 4.

Why did Samsung have to remove USB 3.0? And I supposedly a metal frame is worse for the phone's signal. I have a Note 2014 10.1 and the wifi signal is TERRIBLE. And with Android L coming, I'll have to try and buy a 64bit version...

On the other hand, I really loved the Montblanc leather cover (with the unlocking extras), but it'd be hard to fork out ~260 for it.

I'm still rocking my Note 2, but I'm kinda on the fence with the Note 4.

Why did Samsung have to remove USB 3.0? And I supposedly a metal frame is worse for the phone's signal. I have a Note 2014 10.1 and the wifi signal is TERRIBLE. And with Android L coming, I'll have to try and buy a 64bit version...

On the other hand, I really loved the Montblanc leather cover (with the unlocking extras), but it'd be hard to fork out ~260 for it.

probably gonna cruise on 2.0 until everyone moves to Type C

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Google gets high praise for taking up screen space for 3 software buttons that complete 3 functions while Samsung gets derided for an implementation that adds extra screen space specifically set aside for a host of functions including shortcuts, information display, navigation, controls, measurement, etc...

if that phone was the six, there would be near universal praise for its genius. questions would be asked like "why didn't anyone else think of this" and when fingers were pointed at the Samsung Continuum, the response would be 'this time it was done right' followed that ruler image. tech reporters would relentlessly hound app dev twitter accounts asking when their app would be updated to add something to the side panel and any positive response would be followed up by a small tornado of articles about it.

Anything that Samsung does is automatically terrible.

ElFly

The iPhone 6 makes me want to hold onto my Note 2 until Samsung decides to step up their game and make an even bigger phone.

I know the Mega exists, but I hear it is a little underpowered.

Need a Note 5 with 6" of screen at least.

Note 2 still going strong, maybe will get a replacement battery this year, but I still feel it is good enough as far as speed goes.

thuway

How stable or buggy is cyanogenmod 11 running on a note?

You should run a modified Stock rom as opposed to CM11. CM team cannot get their shit together when it comes to all the variants and it doesn't help that Samsung has two models Exnyos and the Snapdragon Variants. They recently unfied all the builds, but now broke them up again. It's getting stupid.

DJwest

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch price and date for the UK were unveiled by local retailer Clove. The new phablet flagship will launch a month from now in the week that starts on October 13 and will cost £575 with VAT.

Clove also has information on the Galaxy Note Edge won't be available at launch. Clove (and perhaps other retailers) will look to import units from elsewhere but that’s bound to have an effect on price.

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_note_4_coming_to_the_uk_in_midoctober_note_edge_is_not-news-9648.php

Dammit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom