• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still rocking my Note 2, but I'm kinda on the fence with the Note 4.

Why did Samsung have to remove USB 3.0? And I supposedly a metal frame is worse for the phone's signal. I have a Note 2014 10.1 and the wifi signal is TERRIBLE. And with Android L coming, I'll have to try and buy a 64bit version...

On the other hand, I really loved the Montblanc leather cover (with the unlocking extras), but it'd be hard to fork out ~260 for it.

Wait.. They removed USB 3.0? Did not know that.

I have a Galaxy S4 and I love it, but I am interested in the Note 4. The bigger screen and features are awesome. But it would be expensive for me to upgrade and I don't really need it.

Idk.

Definitely prefer that over an iPhone 6+. I also think the Hauwei Ascend Mate 2 is pretty interesting, and it is cheap.

Lanbeast

Note 2 user. I was ready to switch back over to iOS just for a change of pace since I like different things about each platform. I spent a little time customizing my phone with Action Launcher, new icons, and Echo Lockscreen and now it feels like I just got a new one. It's only sluggish at times and it looks fantastic. I think I'll hold off until the next iteration...but I think I'll definitely stick with Android. There's no other platform that allows you to completely change your phone like this does.

The edge looks cool but I would definitely want to wait to see what people can do with it before a purchase.

Note 2 user. I was ready to switch back over to iOS just for a change of pace since I like different things about each platform. I spent a little time customizing my phone with Action Launcher, new icons, and Echo Lockscreen and now it feels like I just got a new one. It's only sluggish at times and it looks fantastic. I think I'll hold off until the next iteration...but I think I'll definitely stick with Android. There's no other platform that allows you to completely change your phone like this does.

The edge looks cool but I would definitely want to wait to see what people can do with it before a purchase.

Same here. The iPhone announcement got me hyped for buying a new phone, and the Moto X seems like it would be awesome, but when I actually think about it my Note 2 is still working perfectly well with a full 2 day battery life even after all the time I've had it.

The only real benefit would be the fancy Moto X features like the Moto Voice (I can activate Google Voice on my Note 2, but it has to at least be unlocked on the home screen to work), the performance increase (there are a few games that get my Note 2 hot like PvZ 2 and Kingdom Rush, but it still plays them well without crashing or anything), and the crazy high res screen (which I'm nervous about since I prefer huge battery life to a huge resolution).

Schlep

I was really hoping the October 3rd rumor was true. Still, the extra cash from Samsung makes up for it. Got my calendar marked for September 24 @ 9AM!

PS, can someone edit the title to be Samsung instead of Samusng? lol.

Volotaire

I was really hoping the October 3rd rumor was true. Still, the extra cash from Samsung makes up for it. Got my calendar marked for September 24 @ 9AM!

PS, can someone edit the title to be Samsung instead of Samusng? lol.

You could ask a mod. I mean it's been like that for 4 weeks and I doubt it has bothered many.

Calibus

So after much deliberation, I decided that the Note 3 was to be my new device instead of the Note 4 (or LG G3 as I originally planned). The Note 4 just did not offer enough of a difference for me to justify paying $300 on contract. Had an insane promo going on today when I picked up my Note 3 -- traded in my old Galaxy S3 for $88 off the $200 on-contract price, plus I got 25% off a case for it, and they permanently marked down my normal $80/month bill to $60/month. Was expecting to have to pay $200+, walked out paying $140 plus $20/month smaller bill. This was Verizon.

As for the phone itself, I am in love. This will easily last me the next two years and will probably pick up a Note 4 once my upgrade date rolls around again :p

So after much deliberation, I decided that the Note 3 was to be my new device instead of the Note 4 (or LG G3 as I originally planned). The Note 4 just did not offer enough of a difference for me to justify paying $300 on contract. Had an insane promo going on today when I picked up my Note 3 -- traded in my old Galaxy S3 for $88 off the $200 on-contract price, plus I got 25% off a case for it, and they permanently marked down my normal $80/month bill to $60/month. Was expecting to have to pay $200+, walked out paying $140 plus $20/month smaller bill. This was Verizon.

As for the phone itself, I am in love. This will easily last me the next two years and will probably pick up a Note 4 once my upgrade date rolls around again :p
Should have read above. Could have gotten $200 for your S3. :(

Calibus

Should have read above. Could have gotten $200 for your S3. :(

I saw that promo, actually. What I was paying for the N3 after the in-store promo was so close to that online offer that I just went ahead and opted for the N3. The N4, while nice, did not offer enough new features for me to wait for it.

I saw that promo, actually. What I was paying for the N3 after the in-store promo was so close to that online offer that I just went ahead and opted for the N3. The N4, while nice, did not offer enough new features for me to wait for it.
Ah okay, cool. As long as you're happy with the Note 3, more power to you. I'm also on a Galaxy S3 right now and will probably cave on a Note 4.

goldenpp72

So for that 200 dollar promotion, is that 200 dollars on top of whatever the store paid you, or a promise they will make sure you get a total of 200 combined with the stores payout?

So for that 200 dollar promotion, is that 200 dollars on top of whatever the store paid you, or a promise they will make sure you get a total of 200 combined with the stores payout?

Promise that you will get a total of $200. Basically you get a check for $200 minus whatever you got from trading in your phone to the store.

Koppai

Any idea what phones they will accept?

Can I turn in my piece of shit Galaxy S3 AT&T for this? :p

Can I turn in an iPhone 4 from Verizon and buy the Galaxy Note 4 from AT&T, and they will give me a credit or does it have to be on the same network?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I really want the Edge, gaf. Please Google incorporate it into a Nexus. I want that always on, always streaming Twitter feed. Also, it seems like the Edge is much more expensive compared to the Note Poor People model.

SuperSah

Banned
Note 3 user here.

I guess N4/NE is useless for me right now.

I just wonder why they ditched USB3.0. It works great on my Note 3.

Calibus

Note 3 user here.

I guess N4/NE is useless for me right now.

I just wonder why they ditched USB3.0. It works great on my Note 3.

Wow really? That seems like a step back. The Note 3 charges super fast with the USB3.0.

Speaking of charge, this thing is a beast. Used it for 10 hours yesterday with screen at full brightness, watching videos, browsing web, texting, some casual gaming, went to sleep and woke up to still 30% battery left. My old Galaxy S3 would have choked long before that.

Volotaire

Not at all. I don't like social media. I want to use it for occasional YouTube, and of course, the web browser. No mobile games either.

That's what he/she means by 'facebook machine'. It is basically a phrase for light to medium use or non power user. Here, let me find a post I advised another person about:

- Resolution (that won't matter)
- Battery Life (good enough in Note 3) and difference is 20mAH ( 3,220mAH vs 3,200mAH) besides optimisation
- S Pen improvements (I guess this won't matter either)
- Aesthetic standpoint i.e. Note 4 has metal and a different back design without faux stitching (I doubt this matters as well)
- More features like the multi window up to 16 windows ( does this even matter?)
- More powerful chipset (again, it doesn't matter to the average consumer).
- Camera (3.7 front 16 back against 2 front 13 back) Again, does this matter at all?
-Dimensions slightly different (153.5 x 78.6 x 8.5mm (note 4) 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3mm(Note 3))
- Weight 176g (Note 4) vs 168g(Note 3)

At the end of the day, just get the Note 3. It's cheaper, and the differences won't matter enough to the general consumer or even to some avid tech head.

Also, how much is the difference between the handsets for you. If it's £30 ($50), then get the 4, or if you're on a tight budget/the price difference is high, then get the 3.

OraleeWey

That's what he/she means by 'facebook machine'. It is basically a phrase for light to medium use or non power user. Here, let me find a post I advised another person about:

Also, how much is the difference between the handsets for you. If it's £30 ($50), then get the 4, or if you're on a tight budget/the price difference is high, then get the 3.
Hmmmm. Thanks. Your information sways me to the Note 3. I can get the Note 3 for $520 from amazon, and the Note 4 for is $700-750 depending on the retailer.

Zapages

https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

Pre-order a Note 4, trade in any working smartphone and Samsung will mail you a check for $200 minus the amount you got for trading in your phone.

Sounds too good to be true.

this makes my decision for iphone 6+ a bit more complicated... I haven't bought iphone 6+ yet. This is going to make things really complicated.

200 dollars including case and everything... Considering this. How fast are they (Samsung) going to send the check back to us. hmm...

EDIT: Does Note 4 have stereo speakers? Is this true? http://blog.gsmarena.com/xl-size-ap...samsung-galaxy-note-4-vs-lg-g3/#disqus_thread

OraleeWey

Any idea what phones they will accept?

Can I turn in my piece of shit Galaxy S3 AT&T for this? :p

Can I turn in an iPhone 4 from Verizon and buy the Galaxy Note 4 from AT&T, and they will give me a credit or does it have to be on the same network?

for the promotion, you turn it into the carrier. AT&T will accept phones from other carriers. then you take the receipt for the trade in and send a copy of it to Samsung.

Wow really? That seems like a step back. The Note 3 charges super fast with the USB3.0.

Speaking of charge, this thing is a beast. Used it for 10 hours yesterday with screen at full brightness, watching videos, browsing web, texting, some casual gaming, went to sleep and woke up to still 30% battery left. My old Galaxy S3 would have choked long before that.

the Note 4 charges super fast too!

I have Note 3 and after the Note 4 reveal, I have zero interest in that. It's just not enough of an upgrade. The Note Edge does look interesting but I suppose I would have to wait on reviews for that to see how useful the edge really is. I'm a big technology/phone nerd so I kind of want to upgrade and I'm debating between the Edge and iPhone 6 Plus. I guess we'll see when the Edge comes out.

sdijoseph

Damn that promotion pretty much decides my next smartphone decision for me. I have a galaxy nexus on verizon that just has a few small scratches on the screen and back, and works 100% besides that. I will probably have to flash back to stock and relock the bootloader before I try and trade it in though right?

I feel the curve screen demand a new design language. Samsung just simply ham fisted the curve screen into a regular Note 4. Thats why I prefer the Note 4 order the Edge.

People want the extra Edge info scrolling will a smart watch anyway, which will make the Edge screen redundant.

Brandwin

I’ve been an iPhone user since the first one in 2007. I finally decided to make the switch and preordered the Note 4. The only thing that worries me is getting us to the OS on Android phones. Plus it seems iPhones have better cameras? Specs wise, it’s not even close is it? I am sure if I give it a chance I will love my new toy. Looking forward to getting my hands on this 10/17/14. Apparently it’s fairly easy to get all my information from my iPhone to my Note.

I was torn for a while on waiting for the S6 or going Note, but you can’t always stay up with the newest product, if I am ready to switch I might as well do it now with the Note 4. I am pretty excited to have that big screen.

Only other thing I am torn on is the black or white version. I went black, even though the white does look sexy.

Schlep

I’ve been an iPhone user since the first one in 2007. I finally decided to make the switch and preordered the Note 4. The only thing that worries me is getting us to the OS on Android phones. Plus it seems iPhones have better cameras?

I had an iPhone from 2008-10 and adjusted pretty quickly to the Evo 4G, and that was back before a ton of UI work went into Android. You'll be fine.

The cameras will produce nearly identical quality with one being slightly better than the other depending on the situation.

I’ve been an iPhone user since the first one in 2007. I finally decided to make the switch and preordered the Note 4. The only thing that worries me is getting us to the OS on Android phones. Plus it seems iPhones have better cameras? Specs wise, it’s not even close is it? I am sure if I give it a chance I will love my new toy. Looking forward to getting my hands on this 10/17/14. Apparently it’s fairly easy to get all my information from my iPhone to my Note.

I was torn for a while on waiting for the S6 or going Note, but you can’t always stay up with the newest product, if I am ready to switch I might as well do it now with the Note 4. I am pretty excited to have that big screen.

Only other thing I am torn on is the black or white version. I went black, even though the white does look sexy.

Congrats on your wise decision. I'm going black Note 4. Didn't pre-order yet. There will be plenty available here.

The iPhones generally have the best all-purpose camera. But under the right conditions, the other new phones beat it out.

In this Recent Camera Test of the iPhone 5S versus the 2014 android flagships. The Androids blew it out of the water

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
"Blew out of the water" is a gross overstatement. The quality of the pics and videos was undeniable. Unfortunately the article weighed pixel density quite highly thus putting 1080p and 8mp at the back. However for almost all practical applications, iPhone 5s (and presumably 6) don't fare as poorly as that article would have you believe imho.

With that being said, modern top tier androids are nothing to sneer at. Image quality close to Nokia and Apple and at pretty hefty pixel counts.

Brandwin

I had an iPhone from 2008-10 and adjusted pretty quickly to the Evo 4G, and that was back before a ton of UI work went into Android. You'll be fine.

The cameras will produce nearly identical quality with one being slightly better than the other depending on the situation.

Congrats on your wise decision. I'm going black Note 4. Didn't pre-order yet. There will be plenty available here.

The iPhones generally have the best all-purpose camera. But under the right conditions, the other new phones beat it out.

In this Recent Camera Test of the iPhone 5S versus the 2014 android flagships. The Androids blew it out of the water

Thanks for the advice. I settled on black. Looking forward to it.

Any tips you all want to throw out there for a former iPhone user, let me know.

Sammy Moving Up The Note's Release due to Apple's success with iPhone 6/6+

Samus is gone?
they need to push the US date!
I hope they do. Already moved it from 17th to 14th.

EDIT: COrrection, phones will starting be shipped on 14th, which could lead to people getting them before 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom