• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

What if Jack Spares Aku?

I'm starting to think it will happen.

giphy.gif

Trokil

Banned
Tumblr shippers are pretty much the worst filth out there, they don't need to hide behind the alt+right, they are just as terrible. And as any good hate group does, they mask their bullying with some justification about equality and all that crap.

In reality they are just egomaniacal bullies who reflect their own fantasies into work of others and also bully or threaten anyone who will not support their “official” views. Rebecca Sugar made the mistake and did not ship one of their fantasies in Steven Universe and she had to leave the internet for quite a while after that. The shippers started a hate campaign against her, which was pretty much on the same level as anything the alt+right would do. Ever since they got their stuff into Glee or Legend of Korra they feel entitled to have their wishes included into any TV show.

But it does not end there. They also bully or threaten fan artist who ship the “wrong” couples. Most of the time straight couples and usually call them homophobes or anything down this line, because they have their own fantasies. In some way, this made me happy, that they are pissed off now. However personally I would have liked it more if it was just more of a master student relationship and that she would take over as the hero / guardian after Jack left back into the past.

Kinyou

I don't really have anything against Jack and Ashi being a couple, and Season 5 has been very clear in introducing Ashi as an equal partner to Jack (in terms of ability) instead of being a disciple or daughter figure.

There is even balance in how they have helped one another, as Jack saves Ashi from hatred while Ashi saved Jack from despair. They tangibly make each other better and that's really the main quality I look for in a proper romance.

I never, ever saw the daughter aspect at all, even with the age difference. When it comes to relationships, both are mentally brand new, so I don't see a creep factor. Maybe that's a naive point of view but I stand by it in this specific case, as Jack's innocence in these areas override any creepiness that might be there.
Pretty much. It's not like Jack acted like a 70 year old in this episode. More like a highschool kid.

Steejee

Pretty much. It's not like Jack acted like a 70 year old in this episode. More like a highschool kid.

I'd say another factor is that he's still pretty young physically, somewhere in his 20s, as a result of not aging. So they're physically pretty similar, sorta the inverse of the '1000 year old dragon in little girl's body'.

Mentally he hasn't changed much either - he still has a charming naivity to him (like the weird food he wanted to try) and has been alone so long, outside of the occasional rescue, that he hasn't aged much mentally. Ashi broke the hardened shell he developed, and now he's somewhat reverted back to how he was when he first reached the future.

In other words he's been stuck in time in every way, and now Ashi has unstuck him. So it works for me overall.

Trokil

Banned
This is a cartoon show, who cares about how old Jack is supposed to be and how old she is and time difference and all that stuff. The Scotsman has about twenty or more daughters all of pretty much the same age. How would that even work?

If you really are trying to explain fantasy you will always end up with something like midichlorians.

Steejee

This is a cartoon show, who cares about how old Jack is supposed to be and how old she is and time difference and all that stuff. The Scotsman has about twenty or more daughters all of pretty much the same age. How would that even work?

If you really are trying to explain fantasy you will always end up with something like midichlorians.

SPINOFF SERIES!

Paskil

Yup, and it's obvious they were both into it. It isn't like Jack was some old dude creeping on her and stole away her innocence through his evil, wily charms.So what if Ashi saw some deer and didn't know what the hell was going on? It isn't like she is still his prisoner and only started to like him because she developed Stockholm Syndrome.

As for the "didn't advance the plot" argument, we don't know that. Ashi could be the reason Jack stays in the future after he defeats Aku. Or she could play some pivotal role in the final confrontation. Hell, both Ashi and her mom might play some huge role. Also, the first four seasons are full of shows that have practically nothing take place over the course of an episode. In terms of advancing the plot, I'd say Jack falling in love is HUGE in that regard. Easily one of the most important moments in the series.

Jack deserves to dip his wick. Dude has been basically alone and blue balling it for decades.

Problem is that there's not much use to imprisoning him, he'll be held back a few decade​s at best.
Yeah I agree. The only path is to destroy him with the sword.

I also can't imagine Jack having a way home and not taking it, regardless of how he may feel for Ashi. To do so would feel completely out of character to me.

rackham

Banned
Aku hasn't killed Jack or doesn't even try to do it, so I guess he spares Jacks life several times?
Aku can send a damn boulder and splat Jack in his sleep for god sake

Nah. It's implied during the first four seasons that Aku is basically relentless. The fifth season is about both Aku and Jack kind of giving up during those 50 years.

Aku is too slippery for Jack to kill and Jack is too strong for Aku to do anything about. I think they will have to kill Aku in the future and the past. 2 more episodes though? Crazy

caliph95

Aku hasn't killed Jack or doesn't even try to do it, so I guess he spares Jacks life several times?
Aku can send a damn boulder and splat Jack in his sleep for god sake
There is nothing to imply that besides cartoon logic and plot contrivance Aku legitimately tries to kill Jack and even cheats during a fair duel and as far as Jack concerned Aku is responsible for every wrong thing in his life that could be solved by killing him and his goal for his entire life. There is little reason to spare him

Xe4

Banned
Yeah that's what I'm thinking

There was one episode where Aku was half a centimeter from gutting Jack. It was only his sword that saved him, because it could only be used by someone of good heart. Aku would totally kill Jack.

Yeah I agree. The only path is to destroy him with the sword.

I also can't imagine Jack having a way home and not taking it, regardless of how he may feel for Ashi. To do so would feel completely out of character to me.

If he finds a way back, Ashi will presumably also follow him to the past. It's not like she has any personal reasons to stay in the future.

Nah. It's implied during the first four seasons that Aku is basically relentless. The fifth season is about both Aku and Jack kind of giving up during those 50 years.

Aku is too slippery for Jack to kill and Jack is too strong for Aku to do anything about. I think they will have to kill Aku in the future and the past. 2 more episodes though? Crazy

With only the two episodes left, I don't think Jack is going to deal with both Past and Future Aku. He'll either abandon the future, and it'll be a weird timeywimey thing where the future is erased despite typical time travel logic, or he'll deal with future Aku, then step in to the portal alongside Ashi and the series will end there, not showing him dealing with Past Aku.

Assuming Aku is dealt with at all, which would be a disaster to leave us hanging.

rackham

Banned
If he finds a way back, Ashi will presumably also follow him to the past. It's not like she has any personal reasons to stay in the future.

With only the two episodes left, I don't think Jack is going to deal with both Past and Future Aku. He'll either abandon the future, and it'll be a weird timeywimey thing where the future is erased despite typical time travel logic, or he'll deal with future Aku, then step in to the portal alongside Ashi and the series will end there, not showing him dealing with Past Aku.

Assuming Aku is dealt with at all, which would be a disaster to leave us hanging.

I think him having to defeat Aku in the past to fix the future might be a bust. He may end up just defeating Aku in the future and having to learn to live in a world that Aku has created by uniting all of those races

If he finds a way back, Ashi will presumably also follow him to the past. It's not like she has any personal reasons to stay in the future
Would defeating Aku in the past erase Ashi from existence? The only reason she was born was to defeat the Samurai for the Daughters of Aku. So if Aku is defeated, then there would never be a Daughters of Aku, therefore no Ashi. Not sure how time travel works in this show though.

Would defeating Aku in the past erase Ashi from existence? The only reason she was born was to defeat the Samurai for the Daughters of Aku. So if Aku is defeated, then there would never be a Daughters of Aku, therefore no Ashi. Not sure how time travel works in this show though.

again, it entirely depends on whether Genndy is going on linear vs multiverse time travel theory. If he goes linear then yes, Ashii would disappear. If he goes multiverse, it just means that the reality Ashi existed in would continue to exist and have to rebuild, and when Jack goes back in time and in theory defeats past Aku, then a new timeline is made where Aku was defeated.

Then at this point, the timelines split even further.

In one timeline, the three gods flood the world when Aku is returning, and a tiny cartoony Jack must travel on a boat to fight a reincarnated Aku.

Jocund

Is anyone expecting a Twist™ as to how Jack will have to return to the past/dispatch Aku, what with the next episode dealing with the Guardian and all? I don't know what it could be, but the Guardian's been something of a question mark the entire season, and ever since Jack dealt with his PTSD everything's been going a wee bit too smooth for me to feel comfortable. I'm expecting some instability (aside from Ashi) to be introduced somewhere in the next 40-ish minutes we have left of the series.

Guy, Zone is a guy

People were referring to Zone as a lady in that stream, so I wasn't sure.

I'm wondering how they're gonna handle Past Aku. Are they gonna be able to cover that in the finale alongside future Aku's defeat, or will they cliffhang the confrontation of the past?

Though that assumes Jack even makes it back.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is anyone expecting a Twist™ as to how Jack will have to return to the past/dispatch Aku, what with the next episode dealing with the Guardian and all? I don't know what it could be, but the Guardian's been something of a question mark the entire season, and ever since Jack dealt with his PTSD everything's been going a wee bit too smooth for me to feel comfortable. I'm expecting some instability (aside from Ashi) to be introduced somewhere in the next 60-ish minutes we have left of the series.

Maybe he can't make it back yet. Maybe he's got to live out his life on that side of the time portal before going back and killing Aku.

Or maybe he'll be faced with the option of going back or saving Ashi (having learned that beating Aku in the past won't save this future).

Really a lot is going to depend on the kind of time travel Genndy is using here.

Gorillaz

Yea the whole tie up of this thing has had me think back and forth. Part of me felt that they might do a twist and have him actually stay in the future as it was his current home then I shrugged it off.

Then that last episode happened with ashi and now im back on track thinking they will pull a fast one. If this dude seriously stays in the present for ashi after 50 years lol.

Yea the whole tie up of this thing has had me think back and forth. Part of me felt that they might do a twist and have him actually stay in the future as it was his current home then I shrugged it off.

Then that last episode happened with ashi and now im back on track thinking they will pull a fast one. If this dude seriously stays in the present for ashi after 50 years lol.
If Jack does this, than he has truly forgotten his purpose.

Edit: I'm just playing off the scene from the first episode this season. It could pulled off and could keep his character consistent depending on how they handle it.

TheSun

Oh yeah, was hoping to see more of that sweet Aku-ness this season.

His voice still isn't doing it for me and is distracting as hell no matter how much I try to ignore it.

Crayolan

Got around to watching episode 8.

First half of the episode I was like "why, why, why, no, no, why"

Second half of the episode I was like "is this a joke? Is Genndy just trolling us hard?"

What if Jack Spares Aku?

I'm starting to think it will happen.

Page 36

*Interior, AKU'S CITADEL. Storms ravage the landscape as the final encounter between JACK and AKU boils to a fever pitch.*

A weakened AKU lays on the ground at JACK's mercy. JACK begins to raise his blade to deal the finishing blow.

AKU winces before glancing to his side. Gears are turning. His eyes widen, and he returns his view to the samurai. He laughs.

AKU: "So much for the tolerant left!"

Battle-ravaged, ASHI calls to JACK from a mild distance.

ASHI: "If you kill Aku, you'll be no better than him!"

JACK pauses briefly, contemplating. He firmly locks eyes with the viewer.

JACK: "It's true! Even though Aku may be an entity of pure evil, whose very presence marks blight and sorrow to those around him, responding with violence would be intolerant."

AKU regains some of his strength and composure, slightly lifting himself from the ground with his arms. He, too, gazes directly at the audience.

AKU: "Where would we be as a society without free speech?"

JACK and ASHI nod in resolution.

*Watch out!*

GOTTA GET BACK, BACK TO THE PAST, SAMURAI JACK

Toa TAK

Banned
Page 36

*Interior, AKU'S CITADEL. Storms ravage the landscape as the final encounter between JACK and AKU boils to a fever pitch.*

A weakened AKU lays on the ground at JACK's mercy. JACK begins to raise his blade to deal the finishing blow.

AKU winces before glancing to his side. Gears are turning. His eyes widen, and he returns his view to the samurai. He laughs.

JACK: "It's true! Even though Aku may be an entity of pure evil, whose very presence marks blight and sorrow to those around him, responding with violence would be intolerant."

AKU regains some of his strength and composure, slightly lifting himself from the ground with his arms. He, too, gazes directly at the audience.

*Watch out!*

I kinda need this to happen now.

Mr Swine

Banned
Page 36

*Watch out!*

Should end with scaramouche saying DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!

daffy

Banned
damn some of y'all mad jack getting buns

its not like they were friends last season or something damn, chill. Of all the ships this is the last one to be getting hot about

I'm guessing Jack will stay in the future. He's been living a lifetime there longer than he ever had in the past.

I'm starting to think, what if Jack remains in the future, but Ashi goes to the past? With her being a foil to Jack in so many ways, maybe she comes back bearing news of Jack's success / message following the endgame with Aku, and depending on how weird the time shenanigans get Jack could start seeing Ashi's own legacy start springing up in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom