• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

For the people who're watching it, should I bother with the Dangan Ronpa lp? I was busy with other things when it started, and now that it's almost over, i've heard nothing good about it. Is there at least a specific episode that's worth watching, or is it all a dud?

aly

For the people who're watching it, should I bother with the Dangan Ronpa lp? I was busy with other things when it started, and now that it's almost over, i've heard nothing good about it. Is there at least a specific episode that's worth watching, or is it all a dud?

Nope. A complete dud.

Nope. It's arguably one of their worst LPs.

What a shame. Personally, I wish they did an lp of the first one. I think that would have gone better. How is Ultra Despair Girls, anyway? I've been blind to anything to do with it.

There's mixed opinions, but I thought it was alright. It definitely doesn't hold up to the main games, but that's to be expected of a spin off.

There's mixed opinions, but I thought it was alright. It definitely doesn't hold up to the main games, but that's to be expected of a spin off.
Alright, as long as it isn't just plain bad, i'll pick it up eventually. I never expected it to hold up to the main games because, as you said, it's a spin off, so I won't be disappointed that it isn't great.

Should I play Black Flag? I feel like I should play Black Flag. That said, I tried Asscred 2 a few years ago and couldn't stand the gameplay.

Its probably the one game you would enjoy since the boat stuff is apparently cool.

RoyaleDuke gave me the game for free on Xbone and I downloaded it and never got around to playing it. I got super burned with 3, but might be willing to give the franchise another chance soon.

Its a good game. Also the boss boat battles are literally dark soul bosses.

If you can get it really cheap, I recommend it, because the best parts of Black Flag involve the significant portion of the game you are not actually playing an Assassin's Creed game. The story is genuinely pretty fun (my personal favourite, actually), but some of the missions are actual horseshit, so it's sort of give and take.

I'd hesitate to recommend spending anything over, like, ten bucks at most for it if you don't like AC games, though. Tailing missions encapsulate every single thing wrong with Assassin's Creed.

What's the time commitment like? Is it a slog, or will I get what I need in 20 hours or so?

Squishy3

Black Flag also has probably one of the best Assassin's Creed endings. Outside of the fact the final boss isn't a fight against the Pope

What a shame. Personally, I wish they did an lp of the first one. I think that would have gone better. How is Ultra Despair Girls, anyway? I've been blind to anything to do with it.

A very mixed bag. I personally loved it as someone that has become obsessed with the Danganronpa franchise and its lore. It also tackled some themes you don't often see in games, and while how well they handled them is up for debate, I thought it added quite a bit to the series.

It also most likely has info you'll need when 3 hits.

Holy frick, Doc Evil just got banned!
Good luck, and hope it's not perma buddy.
... Maybe try watching some Trigun while you wait for it to be over. Oh, old jokes.

Moonlight

Banned
Dio is the greatest.
That version of him look wise ain't.
Can see why they went with it tho.
Not even the best villain in his own series. Kira Yoshikage (the GOAT), Enrico Pucci, and even Kars outclass him. Dio's brand of evil is a blunt instrument. He just brute forces cruelty.

What's the time commitment like? Is it a slog, or will I get what I need in 20 hours or so?
Depends on how many boxes you want to check. Main story is like 15 hours long or so, and you'd tack on however many hours chasing around boats and conquering forts.

MrHoot

Fuck.
Finally managed to get my FF 14 sub back after many tribulations.

Get online, all giddy.
Massive power outage 5 mins later. I type this, frightened and alone in the dark, with only my 4G working.

I'm sorry Pat I won't mock your puzzle skills ever again please do not blight me further

Numb

Not even the best villain in his own series. Kira Yoshikage (the GOAT), Enrico Pucci, and even Kars outclass him. Dio's brand of evil is a blunt instrument. He just brute forces cruelty.

Depends on how many boxes you want to check. Main story is like 15 hours long or so, and you'd tack on however many hours chasing around boats and conquering forts.

Dissing Dio
tumblr_ns5iwnvwJH1s1mluxo1_400.jpg

I'll cut you!
Prefer him over others. He is just evil. Nothing else holding him down.
Pure bad dude and there is enough of him for so long you get to love him.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. For me, no villain in the series has been able to surpass Dio yet. Kira is a close second, though. That's not to say I dislike the other villains. I rather like most of them. One of the reasons why I enjoy Dio the most is because he was the first main villain. That gives him a special place in my heart. I also love how much of a dick he is.

I agree. Dio, at least the part 3 version of him, is actually pretty boring compared to most of the other villains apart from Diavolo. Part 1 Dio is still cool tho and Diego is probably one of my favorite characters in the series. Also, yeah, Kira is the GOAT.

Squishy3

Dio just likes to play with his food too much and it always comes back to bite him in the ass

Part 7 spoilers, don't click if you haven't finished
You forgot Johnny alternate Diego

Alfredo

I liked the game a lot. It has the best gameplay of any Danganronpa game...but it's not hard to be better than crappy hangman mini games, lol. Story isn't as cool and crazy as the original games, though.

A shame that Woolie and Liam apparently didn't like it.

Okay, I'll admit Dio is a bit overrated anytime... but Kars is just a lame, overpowered copy of him. Dio is better than frickin Kars.

Hmm, that's a lot better than I expected. I'll look out for it.

Demons Souls being Liam's favorite makes me happy. That game deserves more love. More love meaning a Remaster.

Edit: Wait, Pat finished Nocturne? I thought he said he didn't make it past Matador?

Well we did get the sequel as the form of
Dark Souls 3.

Yeah, Dark Souls 3 is definitely giving me some Demons Souls vibes. I hope the game turns out to be just as good.
Should play it one day. Got the damn thing already.
Was looking forward to strange journey one day aswell but then Pat freaked me out.

Like Liam said, it is somewhat hard to go back to if you're already played Dark Souls, but it's well worth it. It has some amazing levels and bosses. Tower of Latria is one of the best areas in the series.

Should play it one day. Got the damn thing already.
Was looking forward to strange journey one day aswell but then Pat freaked me out.

I could freak you out more about if you want?
Literally right at the final boss, checked out how much grinding I was actually gonna have to do to beat it, and promptly said fuck that. And that's after hours and hours of grinding throughout the game already.

Moonlight

Banned
Diego is great, I'll admit. OG Dio is just something I never really 'got', though. Always found his evil just kinda... crass. I get that there's appeal there, but eh, most of his evil acts always just struck me as kinda boring. Doesn't help he doesn't really get to bounce off any of the more interesting Jojos. It's one of the reasons I put Kars above Dio, ultimately. He gets to have Joseph (the best) as his mortal foe, and the premise of the Pillar Men and especially THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM I found a lot more memorable than most of Dio's moments.

Numb

I could freak you out more about if you want?
Literally right at the final boss, checked out how much grinding I was actually gonna have to do to beat it, and promptly said fuck that. And that's after hours and hours of grinding throughout the game already.
Dang. If there is anything i hate it's grinding.
And that sounds like alot of grinding.
Diego is great, I'll admit. OG Dio is just something I never really 'got', though. Always found his evil just kinda... crass. I get that there's appeal there, but eh, most of his evil acts always just struck me as kinda boring. Doesn't help he doesn't really get to bounce off any of the more interesting Jojos. It's one of the reasons I put Kars above Dio, ultimately. He gets to have Joseph (the best) as his mortal foe, and the premise of the Pillar Men and especially THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM I found a lot more memorable than most of Dio's moments.

Kars ultimte lifeform thingy was his goal. Most of the time he never cared about his rival and let his minions deal with them till the end. Dio is always actively doing shit to people. Literally a continent away and fucking with peeps. There are many versions of him to like.
This dude ain't good and he wants to stop good. He isn't also like divine and unshakable.
I could say alot about him but i'll leave it. He is the most villainy villain i'll say.

Alright, I gotta throw this out there
I think part 2 is my favorite Jojo arc so far[anime watcher]... but I gotta say that whole story feels like it's held together with paper clips and elmer's glue. The nonsense plot twists, I could feel this epic struggle with writer's block bursting through the animation.
I swear Kars revealing how evil he his post Wham's death isn't a twist. Instead, it feels more like the writer got tired of Kars, and just decided to write him as Dio instead for the final sequence.
I can't not see it.

Dang. If there is anything i hate it's grinding.
And that sounds like alot of grinding.

Strange Journey revolutionizes grinding. Not only do you have to grind regularly, no matter how much exploring you do, you often need to change your whole demon team when you face up to a powerful boss. Which can be even more of a hassle, considering alignments.
The story is not bad, but it's hardly worth that nonsense, trust me.

Neol

No doubt the first 3 parts are a bit shaky in plot.

Definitely from part 4 and onwards the increase in quality story wise is pretty significant in my opinion. Also starts to feel more of a seinen than a shonen.

Numb

Strange Journey revolutionizes grinding. Not only do you have to grind regularly, no matter how much exploring you do, you often need to change your whole demon team when you face up to a powerful boss. Which can be even more of a hassle, considering alignments.
The story is not bad, but it's hardly worth that nonsense, trust me.

Thanks man. I'll trust you on this.
Backlog is crazy too.

Demons Souls being Liam's favorite makes me happy. That game deserves more love. More love meaning a Remaster.

Edit: Wait, Pat finished Nocturne? I thought he said he didn't make it past Matador?

He probably meant 4 when he said that. I think 4's difficulty balance is kinda fucked and that Matador is a much better boss then Minotaur. I also don't think that Nocturne has aged as badly as Pat is saying.

I really disagree with Pat on the hardest to go back to SMT game that people praise the fuck out of(Nocturne). That should really go to SMTII. That has bullshit bosses that you need a specific rare spell or else your fucked.

Top Bottom