• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

sjay1994

You just reminded me of how lame the child solider part has been. Mostly because we've rarely seen the kids.
Liquid best kid though.

Do you even know the names of the
other kids besides Baby Foxhound
Because I sure don't.

aly

Do you even know the names of the
other kids besides Baby Foxhound
Because I sure don't.

lol, Ch. 2 spoilers
there's that dead Ralph kid, yellow hat kid, and that kid Liquid picks on called Etepe. I called all the other kids Drebin since they don't have names.

kewlmyc

Yeah, neither of them liked DR:AE and only got hyped at the end reveals. Woolie especially hated it. Wonder if they'll bother with a DR3 playthough (I doubt it).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, neither of them liked DR:AE and only got hyped at the end reveals. Woolie especially hated it. Wonder if they'll bother with a DR3 playthough (I doubt it).

They should never have started with AE. I still don't know why they didn't go with DR1. It would have made too much sense.

kewlmyc

i hope they dont just not play 3 at all because of a spinoff

No, according to their ending talk,
they still love DR1 and 2, and respect what little AE did for maybe setting up for DR3, but they rather the game had been a maximum of 10 hours, the only kids be Nagisa and Monoka, and cut out all the shit shooter gameplay.
They didn't like AE, but it didn't kill their love for the series. They're still hyped for DR3, as long as it's a Visual Novel like the first 2 games. I agree with them honestly, AE was kind of a chore to play, but the story bits that were there were pretty cool. Nagisa, Monoka, and determined Komaru were good characters and this game made me like Toko. Kotoko and all of chapter 3 needed some serious work. It's fine to handle material like that if you do it tastefully or have a powerful message to prove, but the game didn't.

sjay1994

No, according to their ending talk,
they still love DR1 and 2, and respect what little AE did for maybe setting up for DR3, but they rather the game had been a maximum of 10 hours, the only kids be Nagisa and Monoka, and cut out all the shit shooter gameplay.
They didn't like AE, but it didn't kill their love for the series. They're still hyped for DR3, as long as it's a Visual Novel like the first 2 games. I agree with them honestly, AE was kind of a chore to play, but the story bits that were there were pretty cool. Nagisa, Monoka, and determined Komaru were good characters and this game made me like Toko. Kotoko and all of chapter 3 needed some serious work. It's fine to handle material like that if you do it tastefully or have a powerful message to prove, but the game didn't.

I've only played through 1 and maybe 3/4's of two (watched the rest of it on youtube, because holy fuck I hate those minigames in 2)

but honestly, yeah I am actually considering not even bothering with 3 because I am getting tired with this series narrative. I am sick of hope and despair just being constant black and whites, the constant repetition of the "oh, I the hero am not great at anything" "oh this is terrible, that ____ was killed, how will I ever get over this" and villains who constantly go "YOU DIDN'T WIN". I am so sick of
Junko and her shit, and this vague barely explained most terrible event in human history

Also, on the point of Woolie and Liam commenting on how many "nothing characters" there are in AE, thats been a problem with danganronpa in general, because of how big their casts are there are some really good characters, and then there are just nothing characters, like that girl who likes to eat and threatens to beat people up in 2.

I only got into DR because I wanted something to fill my Ace Attorney hunger, but its plots aren't great, its cluttered with dumb mechanics and I am tired of
look at all this shit Junko did

sjay1994

Hope and despair was only black and white in the first game. Since then, hope has had a heaping helping of grey everywhere (despair is still jet black though).

Sorry, I mispoke.

I was more tired of how much those words are said in those games. Not sure if thats just a japanese writting style, because for example in TPP Kojima uses the word "phantom" whenever he can, even though "shadow" or "ghost" could also be used. But he just uses phantom so much that the word stops sounding real.

Don't know why I said black and white though. Maybe because of how much those words are said in these games, it feels like the only two options.

They should never have started with AE. I still don't know why they didn't go with DR1. It would have made too much sense.

You're right about them starting with AE being a dumb idea, but I don't know if a DR1 LP would've been a good idea. The game is almost twice as long as Another Episode and the majority of that is text. Sounds like it could get boring quick. At least imo.

sjay1994

You're right about them starting with AE being a dumb idea, but I don't know if a DR1 LP would've been a good idea. The game is almost twice as long as Another Episode and the majority of that is text. Sounds like it could get boring quick. At least imo.

Not to mention they would have probably definitely switched to the japanese Voice Track.

Numb

17djyaF.gif

Seems like the right thread
Didn't know Liam-senpai was also a saiyan

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Because they got AE early. I forgot who gave it to them, but they began the LP before the game launched.

What an unfortunate backfire.

You're right. It's a difficult balance. They'd have to make some sacrifices or have a gameplan on how to approach it because simple exploration and reading the same stuff over and over again would just get old really quickly. It'd still be better than jumping straight into AE.

Squishy3

It gets way better the more it goes on, though. Feep (Byakuya) talked about it some on here and I think they didn't even get to see the lines for the other characters they were interacting with in any given scene. Nevermind, that part's not true. You can find some posts by Feep and the script editor in the OT for the first game. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99788789&postcount=491

Yeah, I know. I listened to the english voice acting in DR AE and it sounds pretty good. Also, wow, that sounds like a terrible way to do voice acting.

Squishy3

Yeah, I know. I listened to the english voice acting in DR AE and it sounds pretty good. Also, wow, that sounds like a terrible way to do voice acting.
I hate the kids (specifically Monaca and the mask kid) but Chihiro and Toko are both really good. So is whatever his name is, the resistance leader guy. Nagito is really good still too but he was also really good in DR2 so that's not exactly a surprise.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I tried going back to the English voices in DR1 after playing in Japanese and I couldn't. I've had to just keep the track set to Japanese since.

Numb

Don't know if they are doing the Paris Sony conference but hope to see it.
Dang and the podcast wasn't early today.

They really should have. Choosing to play this game first is sadly going to turn people off of the ACTUAL games.

I hope Pat brings the The Beast of no Nation hype. God damn such a good movie, almost makes up for True Detective season 2 sucking so much. Fukanaga had better things to do.

What's that, the guys jump to conclusions before finishing games?

Boy this has never happened before. What a shocker.

You're right. It's a difficult balance. They'd have to make some sacrifices or have a gameplan on how to approach it because simple exploration and reading the same stuff over and over again would just get old really quickly. It'd still be better than jumping straight into AE.

You know what helps with that? Edits

Top Bottom