• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

MrHoot

That last podcast was fucking great.

I also don't care how much people would grumble on liam, i can't hate him.
The part about friends not watching something and their eyes on their tablet instead speaks very personally to me

Also vessel spoiler
The torment of woolie is back

b5cbec8e91.png

https://twitter.com/2BFLiam/status/663999170471141376

Told you guys they read here.

Also @Liam and the rest, fair enough. I made a stupid assumption and I apologize.

hupla

This weeks podcast was great but i really feel Liam was going overboard on the R. Mika/ Cammy stuff. Its super silly of him to say "dont show me something if youre gonna take it away", it makes it seem like he doesn't understand that products change during development even though as a tester he should and does know this. People getting into a tizzy over something changing during development is exactly why Devs are so secret and things like that Doom 4 trailer aren't shown to the public, we really run the risk of capcom not being open with their next fighter if people make a big deal out of this =/.

Okingjrr

So I'm rewatching the Anarchy Reigns Super Best Friends Brawl, and boy can you feel the salt oozing from the guys.

I miss brawls... :[

Edzi

So I'm rewatching the Anarchy Reigns Super Best Friends Brawl, and boy can you feel the salt oozing from the guys.

We all do. But hey, looks like they're checking this thread so they're probably aware of that and all the stuff we've been talking about for the last few pages, so there's hope.

Xiraiya

I don't understand Woolie and Pat's tirade about King Of Fighters, unless I'm looking at screenshots of the wrong game, it looks like it's perfectly decent.

Wait does this come down to them just whining about sprites?

I don't understand Woolie and Pat's tirade about King Of Fighters, unless I'm looking at screenshots of the wrong game, it looks like perfectly decent.

It's been pretty baffling to me as well. Matt's showed extreme dislike of it on Twitter too and I simply don't get it.

Xiraiya

It's been pretty baffling to me as well. Matt's showed extreme dislike of it on Twitter too and I simply don't get it.

If it's just a style preference thing of wanting sprites over models (Which is a perfectly fine preference), then boy have they done a terrible goddamn job at expressing that view in any understandable way, they sound crazy and idiotic.

Skrams

I don't understand Woolie and Pat's tirade about King Of Fighters, unless I'm looking at screenshots of the wrong game, it looks like it's perfectly decent.

Seems to simply be down to going from some of the best sprite work ever to average/crummy 3D models. Woolie doesn't feel like he's being irrational, but Pat says they're both most likely irrational in their hatred of it. Irrational hatred is more justified when you're a super big fan of KoF I guess.

MrHoot

I can understand it pretty well. It's similar to MGS5 compared to previous ones for Matt, but increased tenfold in their case.

KOF13 is arguably the supergold standard of pure 2d fighting games in recent time, in terms of design, animation and whatnot. So when you go from the best of the best to something that could be called average at best, especially when you're a really big fan of it, it just kills all the hype. Because numbered KoF games always had this super high standard in terms of visuals and suddenly it's being dropped almost completely.

Now I must say I mostly side with LIam as to me it'll be a completely competent game if it plays as well as KoF13. But for KOF fans like Pat and Woolie it can't just be "okay/competent" it has to like amazing to be considered like a good KOF game, mostly because that's the standard KOF set all these years. It's pretty irrational like Pat says it (i have the same feelings for instance towards Dark Souls 2, or like Liam towards Smash Wii U although both of us would still consider these good games in their own right) but it's completely understandable when it comes to them actually wanting to play it compared to previous titles

Xiraiya

Seems to simply be down to going from some of the best sprite work ever to average/crummy 3D models. Woolie doesn't feel like he's being irrational, but Pat says they're both most likely irrational in their hatred of it. Irrational hatred is more justified when you're a super big fan of KoF I guess.
I get being passionate about it, and feeling jilted because it's going from fantastic sprites to models, but the game it's self still looks perfectly fine, I just didn't understand what they simply preferred was it to be sprite based.
That entire segment of them debating could have been summed up to "I'm really disappointed that it's going with 3D models that are only "fine" instead of sprites that were "amazing" in a numbered release." and dealt with in 5 seconds, rather than it being confusing and sounding crazy.

Now I must say I mostly side with LIam as to me it'll be a completely competent game if it plays as well as KoF13. But for KOF fans like Pat and Woolie it can't just be "okay/competent" it has to like amazing to be considered like a good KOF game, mostly because that's the standard KOF set all these years. It's pretty irrational like Pat says it (i have the same feelings for instance towards Dark Souls 2, or like Liam towards Smash Wii U although both of us would still consider these good games in their own right) but it's completely understandable when it comes to them actually wanting to play it compared to previous titles
I do get it, because I had similar feelings about DS2, it feels floaty and unpolished mechanically next to DS1, but it has way more content and runs far, far better, so it's actually still a fantastic game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's not just a lack of sprites. KOF 14 looks hideous. The models, animation, flaccid impacts all look amateurish. The backgrounds are embarrassing. It's still early, but I can understand why peoples' faith might be shaken, especially considering SNK's previous attempts at 3D model fighters have been pretty ill regarded.

Seriously look at the animation. It's like they're using key frames only but without the advantage of motion distorted sprites/models like Blazblue or Guilty Gear.

But yeah, it's still early and the game will probably change a great deal from now until release. But I don't blame people for bashing the current state it's in. It looks bad. We don't know enough to tell how it plays.

Moonlight

Banned
Honest question, but how is this a complaint for KOF but not Fallout 4?
Because KOF has a track record of absolutely stunning 2D sprite artwork and animation, and its' deviations from that track record have been universally panned by its' fanbase. It helps very little that KOFXIV looks like an early PS3 title - Guilty Gear made the transition very gracefully, which KOF clearly has not.

It also is a complaint for FO4. Plenty of people are complaining about how dated it looks, but at least there's precedent for a Bethesda game looking dated.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honest question, but how is this a complaint for KOF but not Fallout 4?

Fallout 4 isn't a looker either. And it's already released, has some bugs, and has an inconsistent framerate.

So, you definitely can apply those negatives to Fallout 4. I would, and I'd argue they're important. But those things aren't quite as critical for a Fallout game as they are for a KOF game. Or any fighting game.

Xiraiya

Holy shit, the E-Mail from the guy who watches everything at high speed.

People are goddamn crazy, if I knew someone personally who did that with everything, I would want to go out of my way to cause them physical pain just on the principle of them being that weird.

Not alone there friend. If only everyone except Woolie and sometimes Pat didn't suck balls at fighting games, fnf could be this every week.
They need to bring back the real thing.

FnF is a great concept, as is SmS but the fact that it HAS to be an every week thing ends up killing a vast majority of them because you can't get gems like Dong Dong every week when your library is arguably somewhat limited.

FnF is a great concept, as is SmS but the fact that it HAS to be an every week thing ends up killing a vast majority of them because you can't get gems like Dong Dong every week when your library is arguably somewhat limited.

Plus, outside of dong dong, when you're just playing casually, it's not hella fun no matter what you're playing. 3rd strike? Or street fighter vs tekken? Might as well be the same thing. However hype they are as fighting games, were not getting that. We're just getting some trivia we've probably heard before and mostly tired jokes.
It's like watching kids playing football for parents. You love your kids, but theyre kinda crap at it and they're only passing out participation medals after so whats the point.

extension looks like its in the bag for Indivisible
Lab Zero is already asking for it
then everyone just need to shill like crazy for $600000 more

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Plus, outside of dong dong, when you're just playing casually, it's not hella fun no matter what you're playing. 3rd strike? Or street fighter vs tekken? Might as well be the same thing. However hype they are as fighting games, were not getting that. We're just getting some trivia we've probably heard before and mostly tired jokes.
It's like watching kids playing football for parents. You love your kids, but theyre kinda crap at it and they're only passing out participation medals after so whats the point.

But part of FnF, and Scrublords by extension, is exposing you to new titles that you've never seen or heard of before. And in many cases, games that the zaibatsu has never seen before except for Woolie. It's not supposed to be competitive or a showcase of skill, but a showcase of the basic game concepts, rules, and moves.

It quenches a different kind of thirst. I might be a little more biased regarding FnF because I can relate to the joy of exploring a fighting game for the first time and playing around with the systems and characters. The idea is that you're discovering things while they are, and it's an experience you're sharing together.

Basically, I think there's room for both, and I think that they should consider bringing back the brawls strictly for the competitive aspect of it.

Woolie discovering the greatness of Capcom Pro Talk is amazing. Pretty sure there's an episode on in an hour for anyone who wants to see how great the show is.

Mike Ross is perfect.

Edit: Or maybe not. There's usually an episode every tuesday night.

But part of FnF, and Scrublords by extension, is exposing you to new titles that you've never seen or heard of before. And in many cases, games that the zaibatsu has never seen before except for Woolie. It's not supposed to be competitive or a showcase of skill, but a showcase of the basic game concepts, rules, and moves.

It quenches a different kind of thirst. I might be a little more biased regarding FnF because I can relate to the joy of exploring a fighting game for the first time and playing around with the systems and characters. The idea is that you're discovering things while they are, and it's an experience you're sharing together.

Basically, I think there's room for both, and I think that they should consider bringing back the brawls strictly for the competitive aspect of it.

But if I know the game, I don't know about you, but I'm not getting any of that.
Plus, if it's a crazy 'poverty' game that I actually haven't seen, I more always wonder why the hell they don't get competitive then at least! For once, it's slightly fair, why not have some fun with it!
Probably, if Brawl never existed, I wouldn't keep remembering it and comparing fnf to it though. That's at least half my 'dis-hype', I'll own up to that.

Undertale Part 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYSp4zs3TSM&feature=youtu.be

enjoy the Alphys sandbagging.

edit: fucking Woolie set the video to private again.

She's the worst main character and she has the biggest slice of the plot,
and she's basically just a less funny Papyrus
. Sandbagging is unavoidable.

Woolie discovering the greatness of Capcom Pro Talk is amazing. Pretty sure there's an episode on in an hour for anyone who wants to see how great the show is.

Mike Ross is perfect.

Edit: Or maybe not. There's usually an episode every tuesday night.
Capcom Pro Talk with Floe aka Capcom Floe Talk was amazing.

MrHoot

She's certainly less likeable but I think the later stuff tied to her is super dope. Eager to see when the guys will find it

Xux

Crap what's Matt's ringtone in the Yoshi video again? I thought I had it bookmarked but I guess not.

Ilvocare

Alphys owns. Fight me if you disagree.

Agreeing with the latter here. Alphys is unironically my favorite character out of the game.

The comparison to Papyrus is tenuous to the point of not truly applying.

Alphys doesn't suck. She's just a lot lamer compared to almost all the other characters.

Without spoiling what happens past the point of the LP's current position, and for the sake of brevity, all I can say is that it's her lameness that actually makes her my favorite. Expanding on that requires going into spoilers though.

MrHoot

Alphys is probably the "realest" character of all Undertale, especially with hints later and certain informations given during certain endings where
It's heavily implied that she's considered or have comitted suicide due to her actions if I recall

I hope Liam doesn't completely reject her because of the anime trope, I think she's a pretty cool and interesting character, although it's true that the pacing in part of hotland can be a liiiiittle annoying (which is the point. I mean replace anime with video games and you'd probably get most of us or even some people of the zaibatsu in some sorm)

Crap what's Matt's ringtone in the Yoshi video again? I thought I had it bookmarked but I guess not.

get muns

Ilvocare

They're two characters with the exact same personality defects. One's just done up for laughs, and one's done more realistically.

They have the opposite defects, actually. Papyrus thinks he's lonely when he clearly has both Sans and Undyne as somewhat-reliable friends before you even enter the picture. Papyrus is also super overconfident. Alphys is clearly not, for reasons that are still beyond the grasp of the LP at this point.

Alphys is probably the "realest" character of all Undertale, especially with hints later and certain informations given during certain endings where
It's heavily implied that she's considered or have comitted suicide due to her actions if I recall

I hope Liam doesn't completely reject her because of the anime trope, I think she's a pretty cool and interesting character, although it's true that the pacing in part of hotland can be a liiiiittle annoying (which is the point. I mean replace anime with video games and you'd probably get most of us or even some people of the zaibatsu in some sorm)

get muns

Making her character more pathetic doesn't make her more likeable for me. I mean, she's seems like she's supposed to be a horrible person, that your supposed to feel sorry for.. Her and Papyrus both. But Papyrus cleaned up his act faster, and was funny the whole time, which made him awesome.
While Alphy is not that funny, and is more scraping for sympathy, and I didn't really feel it after like the fifth evil secret of hers gets unveiled.

They have the opposite defects, actually. Papyrus thinks he's lonely when he clearly has both Sans and Undyne as somewhat-reliable friends before you even enter the picture. Papyrus is also super overconfident. Alphys is clearly not, for reasons that are still beyond the grasp of the LP at this point.

Alphys, nearly identically to Papyrus, also thinks she's alone even tho she has the King, Undyne, and Mettatron in her corner. And yes, Papyrus is confident. But Alphys also desperately fakes confidence. And both come from the same place, self delusion. Just Papyrus is better at believing his own nonsense.
Hence why I call Alphy a more realistic version of him.

Top Bottom