• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SbF: Super Best Friends Play Thread: ReBoot

Xiraiya

same thing
It's literally not, don't be an idiot about information.

I will say though most of that gear is irrelevant in terms of how necessary it is, most people who are going to be able to research that gear have long since finished the game and it's easily beatable with far, far weaker gear. They would have gotten their Motherbase units into the high 60s/low 70s without FOB/online stuff as well.

So you don't actually need it for anything, but if you happen to get enough S+ or S++ Soldiers, then you have something to develop between level 70 and 99.
It's essentially the same as raid farming in MMOs like FF14, which begs the question what are they gearing players up for?

More FNF Vessel spoilers

Come on, Woolie. Losing using the boss character? smh.

Also, even when he doesn't know anything about the game he somehow ends up picking the boss character. It's like a 6th sense.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Could someone maybe do me a favor and tell me the timestamp(s) for the Assassins Creed talk in this week's podcast so I can skip over it?

Freakmonkey

Neo Member
Oh god when they were talking about how annoying it was for friends to be distracted with other stuff when trying to watch something, I couldn't help but think about how I do that shit ALL THE TIME. Every weekend me and some buddies will watch the X Files and we just talk and joke through all of it, I'm starting to feel like I should watch the show on my own time cause I'm probably retaining very little of what I've seen.

Edzi

Man, Woolie (and Pat, to a degree) going in way, way too hard on KOF14. I'm 100% with Liam on this one.

I'm on Pat and Woolie's side (though mostly Woolie, since I don't agree with Pat cheapening his point of view by saying they're acting crazy (which is something he seems to do a lot)). Dunno what Liam is talking about, but it's totally normal to react negatively when a mainline entry of a big fighting game franchise looks like a dreamcast game in 2015 (especially if you're a fan of said franchise) and it would absolutely be a stain on the series' legacy even if the gameplay was good. Liam repeatedly saying it looked fine was absurd. Maybe if we were talking about some low budget indie game would it be fine, but that's not the context here. I'm sure if mainline entry of a franchise he was a fan of came out looking the way KOF14 looks now then he'd also be throwing a fit.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm on Pat and Woolie's side (though mostly Woolie, since I don't agree with Pat cheapening his point of view by saying they're acting crazy (which is something he seems to do a lot)). Dunno what Liam is talking about, but it's totally normal to react negatively when a mainline entry of a big fighting game franchise looks like a dreamcast game in 2015 (especially if you're a fan of said franchise) and it would absolutely be a stain on the series' legacy even if the gameplay was good. Liam repeatedly saying it looked fine was absurd. Maybe if we were talking about some low budget indie game would it be fine, but that's not the context here. I'm sure if mainline entry of a franchise he was a fan of came out looking the way KOF14 looks now then he'd also be throwing a fit.

Yeah that was bizarre. The game visually looks like crap or well below an acceptable level considering the series pedigree (and the generation we are in). Could the game be good? Sure it can. But its not unfair to react negatively to what we've seen. Plus the amount of times the guys have shit on games for seemingly illogical reasons I don't know why this game is any different?

Contrarliam gon' contrare.

EDIT: Good podcast though. I like the 3-man format. It makes a nice change of pace and means less people talking over each other.

ArjanN

I'm on Pat and Woolie's side (though mostly Woolie, since I don't agree with Pat cheapening his point of view by saying they're acting crazy (which is something he seems to do a lot)).

That's because he's often playing it up by making overly reactionary hyperbolic statements , I actually like that he's self-aware enough to walk that stuff right back most of the time.

Alfebit

Banned
Wait, am I to understand that we've regressed back into the types of people that judge games based off of how they look instead of how they play?

What is this we? We're not a hive mind. We're allowed to have different opinions. That said, I think it likes like straight asshole but if it plays good I don't mind.

Best Buy has been a lot better recently. So much easier to pre-order/pick up games since most of it happens online and you just need to give the people your phone number to get your order (or have it delivered to your house same day). Its where I go now for pre-orders/new games, especially with GCU taking 10-20 off a new game.

I can't really speak for Canada though, so all this could be pointless.

Man, Woolie (and Pat, to a degree) going in way, way too hard on KOF14. I'm 100% with Liam on this one.

Same. The second they started hating on Iori and Kyo's new designs, I was team Liam. That was the only thing visually that could be considered redeeming about the game. I can totally sympathize with Pat and Woolie though since they are huge KoF fans and its artwork has always been one of, if not, its strongest point. At least Pat was acknowledging his irrational hatred for it.

I disagree with the "waste" point the most though. Woolie's argument started to shift towards the "I hope no one buys it and everyone just ignores it" point, even if the game ends up being good. If KoF XIV fails hard, I highly doubt we're gonna see a new game, so I guess he'd rather KoF just die for good then. Of course, if the game's bad, its bad. But we still know nothing about the gameplay and it does look significantly better since the first trailer, so there's still hope of it looking decent enough by release.

What is this we? We're not a hive mind.
Wait, then why do I have a USB port in my head?
I disagree with the "waste" point the most though. Woolie's argument started to shift towards the "I hope no one buys it and everyone just ignores it" point, even if the game ends up being good. If KoF XIV fails hard, I highly doubt we're gonna see a new game, so I guess he'd rather KoF just die for good then. Of course, if the game's bad, its bad. But we still know nothing about the gameplay and it does look significantly better since the first trailer, so there's still hope of it looking decent enough by release.
I thought that too. I doubt an inferior looking but amazingly playing entry really worth saying "it should just be dead". It might play like ass in the end, but even then it's not like KOF didn't already have bad mainline games.

I thought that too. I doubt an inferior looking but amazingly playing entry really worth saying "it should just be dead". It might play like ass in the end, but even then it's not like KOF didn't already have bad mainline games.

Yup. I have no problem with Woolie shitting on the game graphically. The drop off in quality from XIII to XIV is very jarring and the anger is completely justified. But then hoping that you'd rather have the game be terrible than actually good so that the game can be ignored and die off, and trying to justify that as rational? That's just dumb.

Skrams

That's because he's often playing it up by making overly reactionary hyperbolic statements , I actually like that he's self-aware enough to walk that stuff right back most of the time.
Yeah, I'm usually completely fine that he seems to be able to state his opinion and know he's possibly going to be one of the few people who see something a certain way.
Contrarliam gon' contrare.

Are people going to keep doing this every single time Liam prefers apples to oranges? It makes complete sense why Liam feels the way he does or why anyone feels the way he does. A lot of us are like Liam in that we're not big fans of KoF. We're able to take a step back, see that it's only been 2 trailers with less than 2 minutes of footage, know that it's far off, and we're able to say it looks fine relative to that information. It's shitty compared to the precedent set by the rest of the series so far, but to some people it looks average. We're not heavily invested in the series and need each new entry to set a new bar for amazing spritework. If the game can reach the same gameplay heights set by the rest of the series then that's what happens.

Edzi

Yeah, I'm usually completely fine that he seems to be able to state his opinion and know he's possibly going to be one of the few people who see something a certain way.

Are people going to keep doing this every single time Liam prefers apples to oranges? It makes complete sense why Liam feels the way he does or why anyone feels the way he does. A lot of us are like Liam in that we're not big fans of KoF. We're able to take a step back, see that it's only been 2 trailers with less than 2 minutes of footage, know that it's far off, and we're able to say it looks fine relative to that information. It's shitty compared to the precedent set by the rest of the series so far, but to some people it looks average. We're not heavily invested in the series and need each new entry to set a new bar for amazing spritework. If the game can reach the same gameplay heights set by the rest of the series then that's what happens.

I don't think it's really about Liam not caring, as that's normal if you're not a fan of the series. I think it has more to do with Liam being so baffled at why Woolie or Pat would care so much.

Skrams

I don't think it's really about Liam not caring, as that's normal if you're not a fan of the series. I think it has more to do with Liam being so baffled at why Woolie or Pat would care so much.

I could understand that since he seemed a little baffled at them piling on more hate due to it being 14 while justifying it by saying they're super fans. It seemed a little warped and close minded to me considering where we're at in knowing how the game actually is. Also Pat saying this was a 2 or 3 out of 10 for fighting games. Also anything that is a 2 or 3 is effectively a zero or subzero because why pay attention to anything under a 6 or 7 or whatever arbitrary number Pat has in his head? I had trouble even understanding what that conversation was at that point. Stuff about the game having no worth and wanting it to fail so we can move on. I know Pat said it hurt his heart a lot, but man that whole thing just felt the most bitter. A good chunk was emanating from Woolie's side to me at least.

Anung

Un Rama

If he didn't play devils advocate for everything it'd be easier to take what he says seriously. Also the way I see it the only value judgement we can make right now is off the trailer we have right now. And that trailer was a hot mess. Woolie and Pat are right in judging KOF14 harshly because the game looks awful. If this was any other series the fanbase would be equally justified. I'm sure several people here would dog pile a game if if didn't meet previous series standards or looked generations worse.

The game does have the capacity to be good down the line. But right now the only thing we can base it's quality off is the trailer. Which looks ridiculously bad. Pat and Woolie lose me a bit with the wanting it to fail even if it's good. That is stupid. But again they are not wrong acting negatively to the footage within the current context. Just like everyone judges everything with what information they have at the time.

I'm sure Detroit has the potential to be a good game. Or at least by that reasoning we should wait until it's out before we start making judgements on it's quality. Hasn't stopped them from ripping apart has it?

Skrams

If he didn't play devils advocate for everything it'd be easier to take what he says seriously. Also the way I see it the only value judgement we can make right now is off the trailer we have right now. And that trailer was a hot mess. Woolie and Pat are right in judging KOF14 harshly because the game looks awful. If this was any other series the fanbase would be equally justified. I'm sure several people here would dog pile a game if if didn't meet previous series standards or looked generations worse.

The game does have the capacity to be good down the line. But right now the only thing we can base it's quality off is the trailer. Which looks ridiculously bad. Pat and Woolie lose me a bit with the wanting it to fail even if it's good. That is stupid. But again they are not wrong acting negatively to the footage within the current context. Just like everyone judges everything with what information they have at the time.
Someone can feel free to tear me apart over the video if it's misleading, but after seeing this video get tossed around I'm not really in fear of the game turning out poorly for gameplay. A lot of stuff shown so far seems to be just straight lifted practically. Currently the annoyance simply seems to derive from the game looking ugly because it's early as fuck and the animations being stilted with transitions. Woolie even admitted that he thinks the gameplay will probably turn out alright since Oda is the director.
I'm sure Detroit has the potential to be a good game. Or at least by that reasoning we should wait until it's out before we start making judgements on it's quality. Hasn't stopped them from ripping apart has it?

David Cage has a history of nonsense and poor writing in his past to justify people not taking well to Detroit. KoF by that instance should be given a chance to see what happens considering it's only a line of mostly good shit over the years.

Anung

Un Rama
David Cage has a history of nonsense and poor writing in his past to justify people not taking well to Detroit. KoF by that instance should be given a chance to see what happens considering it's only a line of mostly good shit over the years.

I'm just aping the kind of contrarian shit Liam says. I mean Umbrella Corps can be good right? Even though the trailer and game play looks horrendous and Raccoon City was dreadful. I mean there's no reason with all that information to write off Umbrella Corps. It still could be good (somehow lol)

Skrams

I'm just aping the kind of contrarian shit Liam says. I mean Umbrella Corps can be good right? Even though the trailer and game play looks horrendous and Raccoon City was dreadful. I mean there's no reason with all that information to write off Umbrella Corps. It still could be good (somehow lol)

You used a poor example then since Liam was also railing on Detroit on the podcast.

Skrams

I wasn't using Detroit as an example I was using it to mock Liam plus I said 'them'.

Umbrella Corps is the better example.

I just don't see how yelling that Liam is a devi's advocate or contrarian each time he disagrees does anything. He's stated before that his opinions are truly what he thinks and he's not doing it out of being argumentative. Saying that he's a contrarian each time only makes it sound like you're belittling him and reducing his argument by saying he just wants to be different. You can easily continue to debate him and his opinions without having to jab at his sense of self thought because you disagree with him constantly.

xezuru

While saying something like, "I hope it gets destroyed even if the gameplay is good" is a bit too superficial, shitting on the game as it is now is entirely justified.
As a fighting game you know what you're getting into when you're buying it, you're getting considerably less playable scenario content and banking for the late game hoping that whatever this game does attracts a consistent multiplayer community online and off. With what little content is there, visual attractiveness and gameplay becomes more highly valuable.

BECAUSE this is a mainline game, this is the mentality, KoF13 is over and support is dropped in order to support a newer game, to not curb the words it means you're willing to drop that community and game in an attempt to relocate remainders to support the new product. Because it is a mainline game means choices in it are where they want the series to go period, sacrifices and commitments are always needed to push the fold but this is why it sucks.

KoF13 entered the fold strong, most importantly standing out from other fighting games with a great KoF-style entry we haven't had in years, and possibly the best looking sprite based game ever to date.

Assuming gameplay is the same, which is fine, but you're getting a similar KoF game but in unappealing 3D revamp in which:
1) The stylistic charm of KoF is lost almost entirely and may never go back to sprites due to this obviously being a choice to prioritize budget and gameplay over it.
2) Competitors like SF5 and Guilty Gear look immeasurably better and in GG's case still fantastically captures the sprite aesthetic.
3) As a fighting game since arcade days, fighting game's greatest strength are it's visuals because fighting games are spectator sports. With this art style you completely lost that wow factor of former game and that arcade attract mode, but more importantly to me even if the game play is good (assumed for argument), personally one of the biggest factors is how cool the characters look which fuels me and people I want to convince to play the game to get it and play often to see cool shit.

tldr; It just sucks that we're loosing a fantastic game who had a unique place in the industry, to get a game that is similar in game play, but pretty much uncontested down grade on it's only other strength, and I don't even play KoF13, rip.

ArjanN

I just don't see how yelling that Liam is a devi's advocate or contrarian each time he disagrees does anything. He's stated before that his opinions are truly what he thinks and he's not doing it out of being argumentative. Saying that he's a contrarian each time only makes it sound like you're belittling him and reducing his argument by saying he just wants to be different. You can easily continue to debate him and his opinions without having to jab at his sense of self thought because you disagree with him constantly.

Pretty much. It also hard to accuse Liam of playing the devil's advocate role too much when the other guys are guilty at least as often of hyperbolically pooping on something for laughs.

About KOF14 specfically: yeah what they've shown looks rough visually, but likely that game isn't coming out until the second haf of 2016 at least and it's clearly too early to write it off based on very little and very early footage.

Skrams

Mystery Box #22

Website

Youtube

The title isn't uniform with the rest of mystery box and the thumbnail isn't the usual thumbnail. This seems pooped out. Also the random application of 60 FPS to only some best friends vids continues to be weird.

tldr; It just sucks that we're loosing a fantastic game who had a unique place in the industry, to get a game that is similar in game play, but pretty much uncontested down grade on it's only other strength, and I don't even play KoF13, rip.

I'd like to think with the fan feedback we're getting plenty of now plus SNK leaving the pachislot game would mean that a change back to sprites for KoF15 would not be out of the question. Their only two choices now are to do that or step up their 3D game. Or the not secret third choice of KoF dying too.

Competitors definitely look better and GG pulled it off out of the gate. I can see why people say SNK have no excuse in 2015 to release a trailer like this, but I still remain in it will get better camp considering how early we are. If it doesn't then goodbye KoF.

I'm glad to see a point like number 3 since I hadn't considered the mass appeal to fighting game fans through the artstyle. If people are worried about the audience that would be effected by it or how it would turn away potential fans or older fans then I understand that.

The next test will be PSX for it. I would hope by then that they've sorted out a demo/trailer that proves that they have this under control.

Yeah, I totally get why this game didn't sell. If you don't give a shit about the aesthetic, there's not a lot of stuff there for you if you don't care about puzzle platformers.

aly

Yeah, I totally get why this game didn't sell. If you don't give a shit about the aesthetic, there's not a lot of stuff there for you if you don't care about puzzle platformers.

Because it was a Vita game and then a PS4 game sent out to die is the most likely reason. Also Pat is the worst person they got to play this. MM games clearly aren't for him.

Anung

Un Rama

I'm sorry, Liam his entitled to his opinion. But when his opinion or what he is saying runs on broken logic (like umbrella corps) its okay to call him out on it. Maybe its just a coincidence but the sheer number of times he's put himself on the opposite side of any debate makes me doubt its what he believes all the time. Like I've said before I don't know if he does it to promote discussion or if he is just ridiculously optimistic. I'd be less inclined to think he was just playing devils advocate if he backed his opinion up with more than just "oh well, fuck you Pat it could be good eh?"

I just don't understand how Liam won't accept people writing off (fans especially) something with the information we currently have.

Tearaway
as a mystery box? That is a truly bizarre choice for this channel. Christ if Pat is on controls its going to be bizarre.

MrHoot

The game evolves a lot throughout the game, it's not limited to what you see during Pat and Liam's playthrough. Not only jumping but rolling, and the sucking windpiano weapon that can suck in and expulse enemies, as well as (at least in the vita version) a lot of interesting platforming gimmicks later on like platforms movement based on the gyro or quickly folding/unfolding platform. It's honestly a great platformer, but it takes it's time

Vessel spoilers:

Holy christ was that panel cringe. Flying by the seat of one's pants doesn't even begin to describe the gross level of mismanagement that went on there. Even the sound booth guy ignored them. Remember folks, always represent your local cons. Shitdamn.

Skrams

Like I've said before I don't know if he does it to promote discussion or if he is just ridiculously optimistic.
I think it's heavily the latter. That's just been his demeanor forever. I think the particular KoF thing was just one of those things where you have a hard time understanding the other persons point of view since you're so ingrained in yours. Some thought beliefs or habits like his unbridled positivity just naturally conflict with others. In the moment I think it's just hard for him to adapt at times to fully understand the negative view point.
The game evolves a lot throughout the game, it's not limited to what you see during Pat and Liam's playthrough. Not only jumping but rolling, and the sucking windpiano weapon that can suck in and expulse enemies, as well as (at least in the vita version) a lot of interesting platforming gimmicks later on like platforms movement based on the gyro or quickly folding/unfolding platform. It's honestly a great platformer, but it takes it's time
It definitely gave you a lot more access to powers than I expected of the game honestly. Not sure if the PS4 version adds even more. My only problem with it is that it's piss easy so I never really had to do much. It definitely takes its time and has cool sections. It's the same feeling I got from Kirby's Epic Yarn. Great visuals and great music, but I have no fear of anything. I'm just plugging away time at the game until I win.

Top Bottom