• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Johnlenham said:
Im trying to convince people to see it! My brother had never heard of it and one of my female mates thought I was a promoter for it for the way I went on :lol

oh and the books does the film just take stuff from all 5 that were released then make up an ending or what? like how is it related to the films like The last Air bender was Book one of three for example.
Aren't they gonna make a book two and three for the airbender films?

Johnlenham said:
Im trying to convince people to see it! My brother had never heard of it and one of my female mates thought I was a promoter for it for the way I went on :lol

oh and the books does the film just take stuff from all 5 that were released then make up an ending or what? like how is it related to the films like The last Air bender was Book one of three for example.
It's a super compressed version of all 6 books. Vol 1 is the closest to a literal translation, everything else deviates a lot.

Suairyu

Banned
Saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. With a re-watch on blu-ray (and thus it having time to simmer in my head) it might very well turn out to be my favourite movie of the year*. Thought I'd share my thoughts!

The Good
- Wright did a pretty damn impressive job of re-interpreting the six books as a single film. Obviously a lot of stuff wasn't included, but for the most part nothing felt like it was missing.
- Casting was by and large very good. Kim, Knives and Wallace seemed like their comic counterparts leaping out from the book and onto the screen. All of the exes, given their short screen time, were note-perfect. Cera as Scott was good without being exceptional; could have been better, but not exactly wanting for it.
- The music, oh my god. The music.
- The opening scene was my kind of cinema - barebones and full of rich character-work. Dialogue and performance really shone through.
- The visual style was impressive. The only thing I wasn't 100% sure of was the sound-effect words, but they didn't detract from the experience.
-
Nega Scott was a funny addition. Had there actually been a fight it would have stretched the film too much, but as a quick reference to the graphic novels it was golden.
- Lots of other stuff.

The Bad
- The Twins got the stick. Big time. Had I not read the graphic novels I would have thought them a superfluous addition to the film.
- The film really could have done with another one or two scenes like the opening one - something slow and scaled back to let the characters develop a bit more. I appreciate Wright wanted to go for the frantic pace, and perhaps artistically he was trying to suggest that the pre-opening-credits was reality, the long-zoom-to-opening-credits was the amazing fantasia, but I felt there were a couple of places where the film would have been better if slowed down for a bit, particularly post exes 5&6.
- The timeframe of the film seemed to occur within a fortnight, which makes the whole falling in love thing ridiculous. It wouldn't have hurt the flow of the film to change a "later..." for a "one month later..." here and there.

The Don't-Know-If-It's-Bad-But-It-Isn't-Quite-Good-Either
- Ramona was much more aloof in the film than in the books. This was mainly due to the writing, but it also made it harder for me to judge the performance as well.
- Stills was whiny and lacked his bitter edge.
- The inclusion of "he's the best fighter in the district" would have turned Scott's randomly-incredible fighting skills to contextually-randomly-incredible fighting skills. Wouldn't have exactly hurt the running time, either. What gives?
-
"Gideon Graves has destroyed the power of love! What a dick!" would also have been awesome, but that's a stupid nitpick.

Bonus
- I couldn't decide if I found Knives, Ramona or Wallace more attractive. Knives had the catholic uniform thing; Ramona looked drop dead gorgeous in just her underwear; Wallace just looked perfectly yummy from start to finish. Who do I pick?

*Favourite as in I enjoyed the most. I've seen a few films this year I'd rate as superior to this one, but none as enjoyable.

XiaNaphryz said:
Err, what? All the Sex Bob-Omb versions of the songs do have Wells singing. The Beck versions of the songs sound distinctly different with him doing the lyrics.

And yes, there's a couple of songs that didn't make it in. Again, I refer you to the LA Times article I linked to earlier.

Beck supposedly wrote 21 "Sex Bob-Omb songs" for the movie, a good bit aren't released. I was asked if those had Wells singing, but they don't, they are Beck's first take demos. I said it is possible that they could have Wells replace Beck's vocals on some of those unreleased tracks and created more "actual" Sex Bob-Omb songs.

"Gasoline Eyes" is most likely going to be released, and there might be some "actor" Sex Bob-Omb practicing/jamming with some of those songs too...its tough to say.

Great article btw.

ultron87

Suairyu said:
- The timeframe of the film seemed to occur within a fortnight, which makes the whole falling in love thing ridiculous. It wouldn't have hurt the flow of the film to change a "later..." for a "one month later..." here and there.

I actually really liked the way this change showed why
the Power of Love didn't work out too well for Scott. Because he was really still just infatuated with her and not in love at all.

-ImaginaryInsider said:
Beck supposedly wrote 21 "Sex Bob-Omb songs" for the movie, a good bit aren't released. I was asked if those had Wells singing, but they don't, they are Beck's first take demos. I said it is possible that they could have Wells replace Beck's vocals on some of those unreleased tracks and created more "actual" Sex Bob-Omb songs.

"Gasoline Eyes" is most likely going to be released, and there might be some "actor" Sex Bob-Omb practicing/jamming with some of those songs too...its tough to say.

Great article btw.
I'd think that "We're Not Having No Fun" will be released too, because it's actually IN the film. And whatever song the "Come on, come on" is from when they open for tCaD.

ultron87 said:
the Power of Love didn't work out too well for Scott. Because he was really still just infatuated with her and not in love at all.

I liked how the movie ended.

I heard in the book sthat
it lasted over a year, so his love was genuine i guess? I mean love needs time to develop, so was the difference that in the movie he figured out he was just infatuated with her and that they'd actually start a relationship and in the books he actually loved her

Hope that wasn't too confusing, just wondering about the difference in the book and film :lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
WordAssassin said:
I'd think that "We're Not Having No Fun" will be released too, because it's actually IN the film. And whatever song the "Come on, come on" is from when they open for tCaD.
A few have speculated that it was Indefatigable.

big ander

demosthenes said:
I liked how the movie ended.

I heard in the book sthat
it lasted over a year, so his love was genuine i guess? I mean love needs time to develop, so was the difference that in the movie he figured out he was just infatuated with her and that they'd actually start a relationship and in the books he actually loved her

Hope that wasn't too confusing, just wondering about the difference in the book and film :lol
Yeah, in the books
the time frame is something like a year and a half, and Ramona is a much more developed character. You see a lot of Ramona and Scott just hanging out and stuff, and you can really understand why they're in love.
In fact, there's a ton more on everyone in the books. You should read them pronto.
Just realized: since Kim never
has to move and all that, we don't meet her roommate OR Joseph. Too bad.

Suairyu

Banned
ultron87 said:
I'd agree with you if
The Power Of Self Respect wasn't also destroyed.

XiaNaphryz

big ander said:
Yeah, in the books
the time frame is something like a year and a half, and Ramona is a much more developed character. You see a lot of Ramona and Scott just hanging out and stuff, and you can really understand why they're in love.
In fact, there's a ton more on everyone in the books. You should read them pronto.
Hollie did get a namedrop though, along with Lisa.

big ander said:
Yeah, in the books

Thanks, planning on it.

ultron87

Suairyu said:
I'd agree with you if
The Power Of Self Respect wasn't also destroyed.

It does last way longer though. And after that
he learns that he can't do everything on his own and needs to at times rely on his friends (in this case, Knives).

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dead said:
Scott Pilgrim is losing almost 50% of its theaters this weekend :(
Faster Blu-ray release for the win.

Edgar Wright made one fucking awesome film and gets recognition for it. He doesn't need the money. And SP doesn't need a sequel. And Cera's career ( as much as I liked him in SP) is over, in the end, it's a win-win situation.

MNC

Cera's acting career over? So far without having seen the movie he seems way less the neurotic teen he usually is in SP. So... Why is it over?

saw it, loved it, went on cheapy Tuesday, the theater was decently filled,
from Montreal though and there were tons of hipsters and slacker types that day

i will buy the BluRay

XiaNaphryz

Edgar Wright posts one of the extras that'll be on the home release:

So finally ‘Scott Pilgrim Vs The World’ gets its release today in cinemas all over the United Kingdom and Ireland. For all those who complained that they had to wait, I can only apologise.

However to celebrate the release of the film, I would like to treat you to a little nugget from the eventual DVD / Blu Ray.

This is a piece of animation that my amazing brother Oscar did way back in June 2008 to explain the physics of the battle between Scott Pilgrim and Matthew Patel.

I think you’ll agree that all movies should be plotted out in this fashion from now on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBYOZ99tKDY

the movie is not for everyone though,
I can see certain people who are not nerd, geeks, comic book readers or gamers who can not get this movie

growing up as an arcade junkie, the movie touched me and I loved it

but I cannot say the same for people who are 45 years old + who don't get it

Shit, just found out Scott Pilgrim comes next year in the Dutch theaters. :(
Or does that mean it doesn't even come in theater or something?
I was already hyped and people I know seemed to like it.

andymcc said:
my cousin once told me she thinks family guy is funnier than the first nine seasons of the simpsons. that's inexcusably bad taste.

Most of my friends also think Family Guy is the best cartoon on tv. Although I think most have only the seen later seasons of The Simpsons.

It's playing in 2 theaters here in Burbank but next week it's down to 1. Oh well I can still go see it at the one for at least another week so I'm happy. :p

MNC

Prophet Steve said:
Shit, just found out Scott Pilgrim comes next year in the Dutch theaters. :(
Or does that mean it doesn't even come in theater or something?
I was already hyped and people I know seemed to like it.
I know, it's so odd. imdb says september 16th, all cinema sites say january 6th. It's so odd too, we don't even dub films and still get them later than all the dubbing countries!

MNC said:
I know, it's so odd. imdb says september 16th, all cinema sites say january 6th. It's so odd too, we don't even dub films and still get them later than all the dubbing countries!
I really don't wanna download the movie, but if I cannot see it until January I'm really doubting. Would probably still rent the movie or maybe even see it the cinema, but still.

Suairyu said:
The Bad
- Stills was whiny and lacked his bitter edge.
My guess is that they figured Kim (and Julie) filled the bitter quota for the film.

...and damn, it would be amazing to transform Scott Pilgrim into a TV series. (Short-run only.) But, it would lack the necessary production values of the film.

MNC

Prophet Steve said:
I really don't wanna download the movie, but if I cannot see it until January I'm really doubting. Would probably still rent the movie or maybe even see it the cinema, but still.
Your best bet in legal ways would seriously be importing the DVD/Blu ray. I'm pretty sure that will release even earlier than the movie in theaters :(

Loved it. Saw it last night when it finally debuted in Ireland. Loved it but the sound went for 5 minutes when
He first enters the club. Kinda ruined it when they returned and the alternate ending jokes were lost on us :/ Also, what was the significance of that door?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fucking love the soundtrack. About a week after, I feel like this is my favorite movie for the year. Outside of Cera and Ramona, it was ace.

Definitely looking to be my only movie purchase for the year.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Aside from voice matchups and reusage of the same scenes, that was one of the more awesomer ones.

really highlights the awesome choreography in the fights, which the real advertising shoulda done.

photo-1.png

possibly my favorite panel ever

I'm kinda sad that the rest of that was cut out, but in the situation they used it they couldn't have put it all in anyways. Unless they had Wallace constantly turning up the volume to drown out Scott until he finally left.

threenote

Banned
Started reading this comic series a few days ago. It's fucking incredible--how can anyone dislike this series?

Once I finish the books, I'll be watching the film.

MNC

Man, I think I could read all of the little dialogue in the panel right afterwards :lol Character interaction in scott pilgrim is so great.

Messi

How close is this movie to the books? I am midway through the 3rd and I see the 6th (final?) book just released. I am sure the first 5 books are heavily spoiled in the film but what about the 6th?

Please no spoilers for the later books, im really enjoying them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom