• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You suck! Surprising no-one!
If bad was a boot, you'd fit it!
You're a stupid poo-poo head!
I had sexual relations with your mother!
Your mother was not that good!
You, so, are a wretched soul!
I am rubber, you are glue!

The movie and books are 1:1 for Volume 1, then 2 is a little more condensed, 3 is pretty condensed, and Volume 4 and everything after hadn't even been written when they made the script for the movie so it's pretty different, but still uses ideas from O'Malley.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
A girl I know just told me she has thinks Michael Cera is quote "FUCKING HOT!" And she's quite hot herself. Well that's a first.

AgentWhiskersX said:
A girl I know just told me she has thinks Michael Cera is quote "FUCKING HOT!" And she's quite hot herself. Well that's a first.
My Ex said that Cera was totally hot and badass in the movie, unlike his other roles, so there you go.

JAD0109

Neo Member
G-Fex said:
Either way I'll get myself a punkish or hipster girl :lol

Yeah... After seeing this, I want to find a girl who either has blue hair or can be convinced to dye it.

I have a sick and twisted world perspective.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Messi said:
How close is this movie to the books? I am midway through the 3rd and I see the 6th (final?) book just released. I am sure the first 5 books are heavily spoiled in the film but what about the 6th?

Please no spoilers for the later books, im really enjoying them :D
IMO they're really different. I mean, both involve a fight against Gideon obviously, but the actual dialogue, fight, hell, everything around it is very different. (I prefer the books version personally)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
AgentWhiskersX said:
He might look like a nerd... but a nerd that has the nerve to headline movies and make lots of money... I'm not surprised there are some women who would be into him :lol

I don't know if people who look like Cera in real life would have that chance.

I know tons of chicks who are into fat/ugly comedians and that's kinda the same deal. Confidence/Power/Money tend to do that. And maybe its legitimately their quirky turn on... but having it confirmed by Hollywood goes a long way.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
FnordChan said:
Scott Pilgrim is not going to be for everyone, and I don't want to sit here and lecture people who aren't feeling it on why they're crazy or anything like that. But, if you really liked Wright's previous work, you're probably going to enjoy the hell out of Scott Pilgrim, and I'd hate to see a Wright fan miss out on the chance to see it on the big screen.

For what it's worth, I saw the movie this afternoon and was on the verge of walking out after about a half hour but didn't because a) I've never left a movie like that, no matter how bad, and b) I had to pay $11 for a mid-afternoon showing and wanted to at least get something for that absurd price.

All of my original concerns were applicable, and to me, it didn't feel at all like Wright's other projects. The vegan police made me chuckle briefly simply because I wasn't expecting Tom Jane and Clifton Collins, Neil seemed like a nice character that I would've enjoyed seeing more of, but everything else was highly annoying, unfunny and downright boring. Even the girl he ends up with in the end felt like the wrong choice... Oh well.

BocoDragon

Cosmic Bus said:
For what it's worth, I saw the movie this afternoon and was on the verge of walking out after about a half hour but didn't because a) I've never left a movie like that, no matter how bad, and b) I had to pay $11 for a mid-afternoon showing and wanted to at least get something for that absurd price.

All of my original concerns were applicable, and to me, it didn't feel at all like Wright's other projects. The vegan police made me chuckle briefly simply because I wasn't expecting Tom Jane and Clifton Collins, Neil seemed like a nice character that I would've enjoyed seeing more of, but everything else was highly annoying, unfunny and downright boring. Even the girl he ends up with in the end felt like the wrong choice... Oh well.
I am a Scott Pilgrim ultrafan... and Wright's movies have always seemed like they were in a completely different universe. I respected them but never loved them, personally. I don't blame you at all, as a Wright fan, for not taking to this.

Oh, and the movie was shot with the intention of him picking the other girl, but the newly finished comic forced Wright to reshoot the ending.

It creates some interesting problems..... I think many people would agree the girl he chose felt "off"....

I think if he chose Knives it would make for a better movie. Choosing Knives honestly makes for a more mature choice and just proves that Scott actually grew a bit and moved past just following for the "dream" girl. At least that's what I think.

Rahxephon91 said:
I think if he chose Knives it would make for a better movie. Choosing Knives honestly makes for a more mature choice and just proves that Scott actually grew a bit and moved past just following for the "dream" girl. At least that's what I think.
Ehh, Knives is the safe choice. Reach for the stars.

BocoDragon

My date the second time I saw it was like "uhhh.... why didn't he end up with the Chinese girl? That made no sense" and of course I never told her about reshoots, the comic ending or anything like that.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I don't really see Scott actually loving Ramona by the end of the film, but I see it as him getting over the honeymoon period of a mature relationship and by the end he actually sees her as a real person. That's why self-respect" sword is more important the "true love" sword. In the end, he sees her not as something he desires just to get with her for a short fling he can toss off, but as someone he wants to spend a long time with and get to know well.

BocoDragon

It's funny how things change in the adaptation process.

In the comic, I had written off Knives as a real love interest during the first volume... it was cute that she was still around as a side character to get jealous/fight Ramona/date young Neil.... but I never thought of her as still "in the game" at all.

But in the way the movie went down... Knives got robbed.

G-Fex

Knives was fucking great in the movie, she was one of my favorite characters I loved the the first few lines with her. Attack hugs and then her breathing Love all over Scott. :lol

Knives: So what do you play?
Young Neil: Uh....Tetris....Zelda....that's..a big question.

BocoDragon

G-Fex said:
Knives was fucking great in the movie, she was one of my favorite characters I loved the the first few lines with her.

Knives: So what do you play?
Young Neil: Uh....Tetris....Zelda....that's..a big question.
I loved that part so much :lol It's so true. I thought of GAF (and myself).

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I don't really see Scott actually loving Ramona by the end of the film, but I see it as him getting over the honeymoon period of a mature relationship and by the end he actually sees her as a real person. That's why self-respect" sword is more important the "true love" sword. In the end, he sees her not as something he desires just to get with her for a short fling he can toss off, but as someone he wants to spend a long time with and get to know well.
Thats what I thought ,but I saw Knives as the girl who cared about him more then Romona.

BocoDragon said:
It's funny how things change in the adaptation process.

In the comic, I had written off Knives as a real love interest during the first volume... it was cute that she was still around as a side character to get jealous/fight Ramona/date young Neil.... but I never thought of her as still "in the game" at all.

But in the way the movie went down... Knives got robbed.

reading the comic i dont really get the appeal of ramona.. shes kind of an arrogant bitch

BocoDragon

brianjones said:
reading the comic i dont really get the appeal of ramona.. shes kind of an arrogant bitch
She's kind of like the triforce.

Why do we want to quest to get her? We just DO. She's awesome. So we hear.

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
The thing is with FilmKnives she's the reassignment of his relationship with Kim in the book. I wish there was a bit more Kim love myself, but while the direction seemed to show that Knives was the right choice by the end, it wasn't. While it might be hard to believe that Scott is in love with Ramona and vice versa, what is shown in the film is that how Ramona and Scott handle their relationships are similar in the way that make them both pretty much the assholes. They belong together by trying to work out their previous faults in their own relationship.

I like this aspect because the books it isn't very apparent that Ramona is pretty much a female Scott until book 5 and book 6 makes it so apparent to the point of
making a Chrono Trigger combo tech reference
. While the books resolution of relationships between Scott and his exes was handled more substantially, I felt the film did a good enough job to show that relationships shouldn't be built on idol worship of which Ramona had for Gideon until roles were reversed after she left him, Knives with Scott and Scott with Ramona. But instead working out the flaws.

G-Fex

I can't believe I forgot those awesome lines between Scott and Todd

Todd: We have unfinished business I and him.
Scott: He and me.
Todd: Don't you talk to me about grammar.
Scott: I dislike you capishe?
Todd: Tell it to the cleaning lady on monday
Scott: What?
Todd:Cause you'll be dust by monday
Scott: ...
Todd:Cause you'll be pulverized in two seconds. And the cleaning lady? She cleans up dust....she dusts.
Scott: So what's on monday?
Todd: Cause...it's Friday now, she has weekends off so...wait..right?

I would have felt fucking robbed if Scott wound up with Knives at the end of the movie.

Ok, so I just spent two hours watching a guy fight to the death 7 evil exes of the girl he thinks is his dream girl, the ENTIRE MOVIE focusing on the idea that he has to fight these people to be with her, and then in the last 10 minutes, after he's defeated them all and learned the power of love and self respect, he picks a different girl? And then he and Ramon don't even talk about it, she just walks off into the darkness? Why the fuck did I just watch him fight for two hours for a girl he doesn't even wind up with?

G-Fex

WordAssassin said:
I would have felt fucking robbed if Scott wound up with Knives at the end of the movie.

Ok, so I just spent two hours watching a guy fight to the death 7 evil exes of the girl he thinks is his dream girl, the ENTIRE MOVIE focusing on the idea that he has to fight these people to be with her, and then in the last 10 minutes, after he's defeated them all and learned the power of love and self respect, he picks a different girl? And then he and Ramon don't even talk about it, she just walks off into the darkness? Why the fuck did I just watch him fight for two hours for a girl he doesn't even wind up with?

Experience points. Plus getting over heartbreak from blondie.

G-Fex

WordAssassin said:
Yeah that's not satisfying in the least.

Plus, as Julie says, Knives was his rebound from Nat/Envy.

Yeah but he grew as a person and got over her and finally can respect and treat women as people too and generally stop being a little douche. Watch Spoony's review a little for some more insight.

DarwinMayflower

Neo Member
WordAssassin said:

In some respect that type of ending would have reminded me of Corpse Bride.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
WordAssassin said:

Well, Scott himself said at the end that he wasn't really fighting for the girl but for himself. The power of love by itself isn't enough. ;P

I feel the best ending would have been him choosing not to go with either, with the experiences and knowledge gathered being what was most important so that everyone could move on and mature.

BocoDragon

WordAssassin said:

Oh I understand. And that's why in the comic, under the original premise, Scott was destined to be with Ramona....

But while the movie adaption had the same starting point, the narrative nonetheless made Knives seem like the rational choice, even despite the "7 evil exes" setup. There are many storytelling hints that make Knives the "right" choice... which is probably because Wright put them there. He wanted Scott and Knives to end up together, so the screenplay was crafted that way... But to make it congruent with the comic, that ending was thrown out.

Just watch, you will see non-fans (particularly females) who are confused by why Scott and Ramona get together in the end. Call it their intuition of people or their intuition of how Hollywood screenplays work, but they will know something's "off".

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Neither relationship is going to last more than 18 months or so, anyway, so he might as well go with the non-jailbait.

Puddles

Banned
Just saw this last night... definitely one of the most entertaining films I've seen in awhile. I read the first two volumes of the comic before going in, but I didn't have time to finish 3-6. I'll definitely do that soon.

I thought the fight scenes were fantastic. Everything with Todd was great, especially the bass battle. Then the later fight scenes just took it to a whole new level.

I can't believe they got such a cool-looking movie for such a low budget. Shame it won't make that budget back in theaters. Audiences are retarded.

G-Fex

XiaNaphryz said:
Well, Scott himself said at the end that he wasn't really fighting for the girl but for himself. The power of love by itself isn't enough. ;P

I feel the best ending would have been him choosing not to go with either, with the experiences and knowledge gathered being what was most important so that everyone could move on and mature.

Are you calling Huey Lewis a liar?

BocoDragon

Puddles said:
Just saw this last night... definitely one of the most entertaining films I've seen in awhile. I read the first two volumes of the comic before going in, but I didn't have time to finish 3-6. I'll definitely do that soon.

I thought the fight scenes were fantastic. Everything with Todd was great, especially the bass battle. Then the later fight scenes just took it to a whole new level.

I can't believe they got such a cool-looking movie for such a low budget. Shame it won't make that budget back in theaters. Audiences are retarded.
Is 60 mil+ really a low budget?

The only cues through the movie that he should have been with Knives were the last 10 minutes during their team-up. Everything else was Knives pining after him, he had already moved on to Ramona the moment she skated through his dreams.

And had they actually crafted an ending with her where Ramona and Scott had like a conversation about it, with like, "You two make a good team, you suit each other. I need to deal with my own shit, but thank you for helping me get through my baggage, even though we're not right for each other we can now move on in life. You helped rid me of my evil past and I helped you learn to stand up again."

But that's not how it ended. It ended with Scott dating Knives, dumping her for Ramona, spending two hours fighting evil exes to be with her, and then at the very end of the movie he winds up with Knives after they combo-fight Gideon for two minutes, and he and Ramona don't even say anything, they just nod at each other and she walks away. Fuck that ending, that is a horrible, horrible ending and thank God it was changed.

G-Fex

Well it's not the real real end. I haven't a clue if him and Ramona last but maybe they will, they just might and work at it. I see the glass half full.

Rahk

WordAssassin said:
The only cues through the movie that he should have been with Knives were the last 10 minutes during their team-up. Everything else was Knives pining after him, he had already moved on to Ramona the moment she skated through his dreams
Pretty much this.

I also didn't feel that Scott liked Knives as more than a friend at any point either. As already said, she was just a rebound. I don't see how that would be a better ending.

BocoDragon said:
Just watch, you will see non-fans (particularly females) who are confused by why Scott and Ramona get together in the end. Call it their intuition of people or their intuition of how Hollywood screenplays work, but they will know something's "off".
My girlfriend didn't find anything off about it.

Still, it would have been nice if the Scott/Ramona romance was expanded a little. Even just a couple more scenes with them together or something. It didn't resonate emotionally to me as much as the comic did.

Monocle

Just got back from seeing it tonight. Easily the most entertaining theater experience I've ever had. I'm trying to say as little as possible to avoid making an outrageous overstatement about this movie's quality, but honestly...Scott Pilgrim blew me away.

G-Fex

Monocle said:
Just got back from seeing it tonight. Easily the most entertaining theater experience I've ever had. I'm trying to say as little as possible to avoid making an outrageous overstatement about this movie's quality, but honestly...Scott Pilgrim blew me away.

It's fucking great I love it. Damn shame it bombed cause it's so so so good.

I'm in lesbians with it.

BocoDragon

Rahk said:
My girlfriend didn't find anything off about it.

Sorry... but you gotta check for a penis now.

:lol

No but really I have heard from many girls, and people in general, that:

1. cheating on Knives was inexcusable in the Hollywood romance screenplay sense. (I'm sure there were ways to make up for it... but that didn't happen. In the comic... it was rather excusable as the type of thing a young person would do in an indie comic. In Hollywood, he's a scumbag.)
2. the movie didn't show us the reason why Scott had affection for Ramona, but it did show a genuine connection between Scott and Knives.
3. the screenplay seemed to hint that Knives was a mature, realistic choice for a nerd like Cera, while Ramona was some impossible fantasy who the movie showed us wasn't worth it anyway.
The ending of the movie had Scott almost choose Knives... but he didn't... and it felt like a false bait and switch

I think most of these are mostly unintentional results of the adaptation process... and partially a result of the original cut of the film where he does
choose Knives.
As I said, the comic didn't hint at a Knives relationship at all. Most of us comic fans are pretty biased toward Ramona.

Rahk said:
Pretty much this.

I also didn't feel that Scott liked Knives as more than a friend at any point either. As already said, she was just a rebound. I don't see how that would be a better ending.
Exactly. He even says to his sister that it's just nice to have something simple and he doesn't even know himself if it's for real or just him being crazy. He clearly enjoys having someone look up to him and fawn over him, but when he meets Ramona he finds someone he's willing to fight for, to go through hell to be with. To have him actually fight for her the whole movie, to have him DIE FOR HER, and then in the last 10 minutes have it just switch to, "Oh, you weren't meant to be with her after all. Just nod at one another in silent understanding and get back together with Knives, who you have even less of an emotional bond with than Ramona, and end scene." That's just... ugh. Knives even says to Scott,
"What are you doing? You've been fighting for her the whole time."
Even she thinks it's a bad idea! :lol :p

Edit: Also my ex and several other girls I've seen it with didn't think he was going to wind up with Knives or that something felt off either. If anything they found it to be the typical movie switch of, "Oh, you think he's gonna give up on the dream girl, but--ah! Gotcha! He's actually not."

Edit 2: I do agree, however, that Scott's getting out of cheating on them felt kinda... not resolved. He was just like, "Yeah, I cheated on you. Sorry. We cool?" and they were. WTF? :lol

BocoDragon said:

Oy, I'm a male fan and -I- found something to be off with the ending.

Eh.

---

And whomever is asking for more Young Neil is weird. He's just the fifth wheel in the story. Hell, the reason he's relevant is because he looks like Scott!

WordAssassin said:
Edit 2: I do agree, however, that Scott's getting out of cheating on them felt kinda... not resolved. He was just like, "Yeah, I cheated on you. Sorry. We cool?" and they were. WTF? :lol

Well, they all knew what he had done, sometimes people just want to see someone admit guilt so they can move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom