• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Sapiens

Can't wait - First play through on hardest mode - I think I'll blaze though Alien Soldier (it's been a while, I think I remember everything) in preparation. Damned, work...

There's also Gunslinger Mode (gives you all the weapons and lets you switch on the fly), Mega Life (double health) and (unlockable, minor spoiler)
Mega Shot (weapons do double damage)

Thanks. Do you know if Free/Fixed is a toggle or a button hold? The rest sounds awesome.

tuffy

I've always had the most fun with Rapid + Fire due to all the explosions. Though Rapid + Homing comes in handy in boss fights.

This is the one I've been waiting for. Will be buying as soon as I get home this evening :)

Take it it's unlikely we'll ever get 3D Alien Soldier at this point as well then?

Only if Gigadrive reachs Super Saiyan level 2

I'm a double force or force + chaser kind of guy

Sapiens

Looks like we're getting the US art, ladies:

CM3D66oWEAAUKFi.jpg

*barfs*

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Gunstar is on the store!

...but Sega 3D classics are now $7.90 in Canada instead of the usual $6... Urgh...

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
EU gets both. Western art for the banner but JP art for the BG in-game.

Same for the NA version.

By the way, this is the first time I play this game and it's bananas. I'm not even mad about the boosted canadian price anymore.

duckroll

Wow, Gunslinger mode is AMAZING. A whole new way of playing Gunstar Heroes. Total freedom. Kinda nuts that no one ever thought to do a romhack with this function before. The Credits are once again amazing M2 quality. The 3D is out of this world. 10/10

Wow, Gunslinger mode is AMAZING. A whole new way of playing Gunstar Heroes. Total freedom. Kinda nuts that no one ever thought to do a romhack with this function before. The Credits are once again amazing M2 quality. The 3D is out of this world. 10/10

I'm agree. Gunslinger is a great addition to veterans. Very fun and add a lot of depth to the classic formula.

If anyone is wondering how Gunslinger works, L and R let you choose between the 4 types of fire and X toggle free/fixed shots

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ooooooh yeah, this is soooo good and I am just messing about with the setting. I should play this and then replay the sequel, I had a blast playing that.

VandalD

Once again, everyone should check out the credits for Gunstar Heroes. They're pretty great. I also appreciate the GH home screen sound.

Gunslinger is amazing if only for being able to switch between shooting styles, though I'm sure weapon switching will be particularly useful against Green with my typical strategy. Time to do an Expert run!
Date for Sonic 2 yet?
I'm expecting Sep. 24th for NA. They like to release middle of the month-ish, but they've been having to delay the games recently.

TheMoon

I'm expecting Sep. 24th for NA. They like to release middle of the month-ish, but they've been having to delay the games recently.

delayed once and then back to the 4-weekly schedule taking the one time-delay into account. so it's no longer middle of the month but third week.

i have to admit i haven't spent that much time with the genesis conversions relative to the arcade ones, but i'm really surprised by how good the 3D in gunstar heroes is. might have to give the others a deeper look if they're all this good.

gunslinger mode is nifty too!

Is there a strategy for the stage 2 Sawblade boss (without homing shot)? Seems like a total pain in the ass without it

EDIT: Freeshot+Homing+Lightning is hilariously OP against that whole stage. Probably others as well, but jeez

EDIT2: Yuuuuup.

VandalD

Nice!

Any other impressions for those familiar with the game?
Great port/remake, as always. Gunslinger mode puts a good twist on the game, making it more accessible for new players and also giving veterans something cool to mess around with. Switching from free shot to fixed shot on the fly is extremely handy, and so is being able to swap your weapons anywhere. I tend to go Laser+Fire throughout the game, but that's a horrible combination for when I prefer to keep my distance because it would mean I'd have to use just the single laser. Being able to swap anywhere makes the game feel like it has a lot more variety, instead of me just sticking to one weapon for most of the game. My only complaint has nothing to do with the game, really. Doing the space level on expert kills my thumb with the 3DS XL dpad. The only reason I could see for not buying this if you like GH is if you hate the 3DS as a controller for this type of game.
Is there a strategy for the stage 2 Sawblade boss (without homing shot)? Seems like a total pain in the ass without it

EDIT: Freeshot+Homing+Lightning is hilariously OP against that whole stage. Probably others as well, but jeez

EDIT2: Yuuuuup.
Homing+Lightning wrecks almost anything in the game except on the higher difficulties. It's a good beginner weapon with free shot since you can, for the most part, just focus on dodging the enemy. In doing so, you should be able to learn how to fight them in harder difficulties with better weapons if so inclined, since homing weapons (except homing+fire, but that's a whole different skill) get a heavy nerf the higher you go.

Does anyone have tips for not running out of energy in Galaxy Force 2? I feel like I destroy tons of shit yet still run out by the end of stage 2. Luckily there are plenty of options to customize the experience (praise M2) so I can enjoy it, but I want to be able to do better on standard settings.
I wrote a lot about beating Galaxy Force II on factory settings around release. Of course, there's only so many mechanics to master before you've simply got the levels themselves to learn.

3D Gunstar Heroes bought sight unseen, so excited to dive in!

That said, I only played a bit of the game back in the day (though that was enough to know that I liked it), so I'm a relative newcomer to it. Anyone have any tips for my first time through?

VandalD

That said, I only played a bit of the game back in the day (though that was enough to know that I liked it), so I'm a relative newcomer to it. Anyone have any tips for my first time through?
I think the most important thing to be aware of is just all of the controls. This isn't just a jump and shoot game. You can also throw dudes, slide into dudes, and belly flop/jump kick dudes. You can also jump off the side of the screen or walls by doing your jump attack.

Probably the very first game that made me jealous of Genesis owners back in the days. Still in my top 10 best games of all time. The port is ace.

Realize that there is an incredible boss with multiple forms that will only show all of them on the hard difficulty. Not saying you should start on hard, but that fight is a pretty cool thing to experience when you do.

zeioIIDX

Just bought, downloading now. Cannot wait to try it out in 3D! Don't care how many times I've played this game, it's amazing.

I wrote a lot about beating Galaxy Force II on factory settings around release. Of course, there's only so many mechanics to master before you've simply got the levels themselves to learn.

That's awesome, thanks!

Playing Gunstar Heroes for the first time last night was just......I had no idea how fucking good this game is. I was blown away by the amount of enemies on screen, the bosses, that part where you're sliding down the pyramid or whatever...just totally nuts. I'm replaying Wonderful 101 at the moment and somehow GH is holding it's own in terms of action.

RIP in peace Treasure, you are truly GOAT status.

Top Bottom