• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Pandy

Is there a strategy for the stage 2 Sawblade boss (without homing shot)? Seems like a total pain in the ass without it

EDIT: Freeshot+Homing+Lightning is hilariously OP against that whole stage. Probably others as well, but jeez

EDIT2: Yuuuuup.
Yup, although there are a few areas where it becomes a pain. Particularly useful for learning CQC, as it's much easier to focus on your character's movement when you don't have to worry about which direction you're aiming in, and you often run into enemies while your blue square of death is busy elsewhere.

Gunstar Heroes is my favourite Mega Drive game, and my most played Wii Virtual Console game. This has been a good day for me. :)

Intel_89

The backwards hits moves are really hit-and-miss too.

You can map that to one of the shoulder buttons in the options though, I've set that to the L button and works really well. It's the only addition to the controls that actually feels better than the original.

Gunstar Heroes came out today in Europe, how is it?

gerudoman

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with how the 3D effect in Gunstar Heroes looks. Streets of Rage 2 is the first and only 3DS game that I played in full 3D, it looks really impressive and natural at the same time.

Veal

Man I love how the 3D gives the world so much depth. It's almost like they remade it with simple polygons and textures but did it perfectly. I kinda wish M2 would just keep cranking these things out. Maybe work with Nintendo and do the 3DS Classics series we were sorta teased about.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know, all I've ever played of Gunstar Heroes is like... 2 levels, which I played on that GameTap service back in the day? Remember that thing?

I'm obviously going to buy the game to support M2's efforts, but I should actually play the thing, too, this time.

I plan on buying both. Was just curious on which one people liked the 3D update of more.
Ah, that's cool. I would personally go with Gunstar only because I've played SoR2 so many times, so Gunstar was a little fresher for me. Obviously, you can't go wrong with either.
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with how the 3D effect in Gunstar Heroes looks. Streets of Rage 2 is the first and only 3DS game that I played in full 3D, it looks really impressive and natural at the same time.
Have you tried Outrun? I think that's the most impressive Sega 3D classic to date.

kinn

Ah, that's cool. I would personally go with Gunstar only because I've played SoR2 so many times, so Gunstar was a little fresher for me. Obviously, you can't go wrong with either.
Have you tried Outrun? I think that's the most impressive Sega 3D classic to date.

Outrun is amazing...But Galaxy Force II ....Thats the best for me.

gerudoman

Still not, I'm waiting for a sale to get it. I do have Galaxy Force II which is impressive as well but too distracting for the kind of game it is (I'm playing on an OG 3DS as well).

ship it

WARNING

After playing this game ONCE, I have now have a weapon icon stuck on the top screen forever, like it was burnt in, but its 3d. It's not noticeable when you are playing GH cause the HUD overlaps, but once I home button out I can see a faint image of a homing icon from the HUD on top of the screen. It's really annoying and I am kind of confused as to what to do.

anyone know who to contact about this? I have some pics but its hard to make out with a still image. It pretty much just ruined my N3ds.

ship it

No its like a burn on image in the sense the icon remains on screen after the game is off. But it changes with the 3d setting, so its not burnt in on the screen. It's really weird and nothing like I've seen.

But its most definitely the homing icon. its in the exact same place it is when you play the game (one of the two weapon slots). Its pretty noticeable when you have the game off though and just sitting on the 3ds home menu.

the fact that it remains when you shut the system off is the biggest bummer. Thats what I mean about "burn in" but its not.

I wish there was some way to get in contact the dev team otherwise I have no idea what to do.

Here's how it looks now when I run Streets of Rage, you can see the homing weapon icon

ptxGbmU.jpg

ship it

edit: never mind edited with picture. that's odd. load up the youtube app and run one of the stuck pixel videos. give it 20 minutes and check to see if it changed at all.

I'll try it out, thanks!

edit: I think it helped. I didn't notice anything odd booting of SoR this time. I've never had an issue with pixel sticking before, but now it makes sense. It seemed that only 1 section of the 3d had stuck pixels, or something odd like that. Thanks again for the suggestion!

retroman

Yesterday I played Gunstar Heroes for the first time in twenty years (I sold my Mega Drive in 1995 to buy a Saturn), and I was just as impressed with the graphics and gameplay as when I played it all those years ago. Simply a stunning game. Hats off to Treasure and M2 for delivering such a quality experience.

Finished Gunstar, what a nostalgic ride. Cannot wait to play this with my Brother next time we see each other. Countless hours playing this game when we were kids.

So I've seen Alien Soldier been mentioned frequently in this thread and I always thought I knew what it was.

To my mind it was a game I had years ago, wherein you choose between multiple characters to battle aliens.
The female had a flamethrower weapon and the stages were fast-paced 2D stages which sometimes switched to first-person shooting gallery sections which were in supermarkets.

Turns out this isn't Alien Soldier!
(Does anybody know what it is?)

Looking up Alien Soldier now... I've never seen it before.
A Treasure games I've never played! Looks amazing too.
I really want it now so add me to the group hoping for a future 3D release ha.

Soltype

So I've seen Alien Soldier been mentioned frequently in this thread and I always thought I knew what it was.

To my mind it was a game I had years ago, wherein you choose between multiple characters to battle aliens.
The female had a flamethrower weapon and the stages were fast-paced 2D stages which sometimes switched to first-person shooting gallery sections which were in supermarkets.

Turns out this isn't Alien Soldier!
(Does anybody know what it is?)

Looking up Alien Soldier now... I've never seen it before.
A Treasure games I've never played! Looks amazing too.
I really want it now so add me to the group hoping for a future 3D release ha.

Alien Storm is what you're thinking of, and Alien Soldier in 3D would be nuts.I'd love to see Outrunners, but i don't see that happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5w707nUsnU

OH!
The first-person sections were unlike anything I'd seen too. (Doom's inspiration...?)

No, just Sega being Sega, it came out in 1990.

Alien Storm is what you're thinking of, and Alien Soldier in 3D, would be nuts.I'd love to see Outrunners, but i don't see that happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5w707nUsnU

OH!
Thanks for posting, I haven't seen this game in years.
As a kid I loved the Alien films (and just aliens in general I guess) so this game was the coolest thing in the world when I first played it.
The first-person sections were unlike anything I'd seen too. (Doom's inspiration...?)

I still remembered it being pretty neat, but not something I'd want M2 to tackle above Sonic 3, Power Drift, et al. so the constant suggestions were a little baffling.
Glad I've got it cleared up :)

Aizo

Banned
Are there any unlockables in Streets of Rage 2 besides the knockout mode (I don't know what it's called in English, but it's 必殺)?
I've been playing a lot of arcade beat em ups lately, and this was a really solid one!

sörine

Banned
Do we know what extras are in Sonic 2 yet? I'm wondering if M2 stuck Knuckles or flying Tails in there?

I'm also praying these do well enough for a Wave 3. I still need Power Drift!

baconcow

sörine;177580361 said:
Do we know what extras are in Sonic 2 yet? I'm wondering if M2 stuck Knuckles or flying Tails in there?

I'm also praying these do well enough for a Wave 3. I still need Power Drift!

I don't think the Japanese version (which came out recently) has Knuckles.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think the only bonuses were that "Half Ring Mode" where you start with 10 & instead of losing all your rings, you just lose half of them when hit, & then instantly starting with Super Sonic.

Intel_89

Someone datamined Gunstar Heroes 3D and found this in one of the files:

6oFgPJq.gif

It's apparently unconfirmed but it sure would be pretty cool to have more 3D Classics.

Does anyone else have problems with text being blurry in gunstar with 3D on or is something wrong with my 3DS? For example, on the stage select screen I can't get the text in the lifebar section AND the text on the bottom portion to both be clear unless 3D is off or at max, its one or the other.

This is the first time I've ever seen something like this in a game.

Japan's getting a second retail compilation with 3D Sonic the Hedgehog, 3D Altered Beast, 3D Galaxy Force II, 3D Fantasy Zone 2 DX and 3D Thunder Blade, plus more titles to be announced. Ken Sugimori is handling the artwork once again, and there's a preview of the work with a very suspicious mosaic...

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/08087662.html

edit: new news, new thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108616

I'm so glad we're getting Volume 2. That's so unexpected. Weren't Volume 1 sales abysmal?

Does anyone else have problems with text being blurry in gunstar with 3D on or is something wrong with my 3DS? For example, on the stage select screen I can't get the text in the lifebar section AND the text on the bottom portion to both be clear unless 3D is off or at max, its one or the other.

Weirdly my brother had this when he first booted it up (on a n3DS.)
Since rebooting it hasn't occurred again, first time I've seen anything like it too...

ToD_

I have noticed this with other titles as well. Looks like the 3D effect only has unscaled pixels at the max or off settings, anything between will add scaling and therefore blur. At least, that's what it looks like. It's pretty subtle, however. In addition, the 3D effect appears to be stronger in Gunstar Heroes, which makes me want to turn it down a bit, whereas I have no issues with the max setting with other games.

Top Bottom