• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Khaz

Puyo Puyo Tsu... in 3D? What's the point? I mean, I love Puyo Puyo, but I think any other game would benefit more from the 3D treatment.

Puyo Puyo Tsu for the 3DS is good news regardless. (We already had Game Gear Dr Robotnick's Mean bean machine in the Virtual Console.)

Tizoc

Puyo Puyo Tsu... in 3D? What's the point? I mean, I love Puyo Puyo, but I think any other game would benefit more from the 3D treatment.

Puyo Puyo Tsu for the 3DS is good news regardless. (We already had Game Gear Dr Robotnick's Mean bean machine in the Virtual Console.)

Look I like 3D gimmicks as much as the next guy.
But this is Puyo Puyo 2.
This is the game that makes EVO Moment 37 look like a casual winning with a wake up Ultra.
This is the competitive game that separates the pros from the casuals, the lions from the lamb.
We just need to convince SEGA to release it westward and we'd be 1 step closer to #Puyo2@EVO16

AmyS

Power Drift has been my #1 most wanted games to get the M2 3D conversion. It's going to make eyeballs melt.

I'd absolutely love to read the M2 interview for 3D Power Drift, assuming Watch Impress did interviews for the new games.

BearChair

So what do you think are the chances that Sega might bring these over?

On one hand, the company didn't bring over the master system games from the first collection.

Although at least in the case of Power Drift, these are actual arcade releases. That seems to suggest a slightly better chance. Doesn't it?

duckroll

So what do you think are the chances that Sega might bring these over?

On one hand, the company didn't bring over the master system games from the first collection.

Although at least in the case of Power Drift, these are actual arcade releases. That seems to suggest a slightly better chance. Doesn't it?

There's a much better chance because Power Drift and Puyo Puyo 2 are not "bonus games" but actual major titles debuting for the first time in the collection. The bonus games for this collection are the Master System versions of Maze Walker and Fantasy Zone 2.

There's a much better chance because Power Drift and Puyo Puyo 2 are not "bonus games" but actual major titles debuting for the first time in the collection. The bonus games for this collection are the Master System versions of Maze Walker and Fantasy Zone 2.

yeah this feels like a soft confirm for volume 3

@MUWANdo

Banned
By that logic, we might as well confirm Sega 3D Archives 3 with Afterburner, Super Hang-On, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes and...?

(Revenge of Death Adder? Space Harrier II DX? Something Model 1? Zaxxon 3D? Some weird obscure pull like Congo Bongo?)

sörine;178323800 said:
Puyo Puyo Tsu is also the arcade version it seems.

The arcade platform Tsuu was built for shares some architectural similarity to mega drive though, right? I wonder if that factored into the decision.

sörine

Banned
The arcade platform Tsuu was built for shares some architectural similarity to mega drive though, right? I wonder if that factored into the decision.
Yeah, MegaDrive was modeled off the System-16 board I believe. In some ways it's sort of like a cut down S16 with a SMS tacked on.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The early Puyo arcade games ran on System C2 boards which are pretty much just a MD minus the Z80 and with a couple different bits and pieces like the DAC from the System 16 board. The internal name was "System 14".

I'm thinking of special modes/functions M2 would likely put into 3D Power Drift. First they'd come up with something to make the game more accessible for players old and new (those who can't play as well as they used to and those who have grown up with easier games). But I'd love to see an Endurance Mode where you play through each course back to back in various orders (or maybe it would mix up each stage at random, forcing you to keep your wits together and strategies committed to memory). Real question is, would they include this feature if that would feasibly work for the arcade original? Loading in each stage is snappy in Power Drift but only because everything's made of similar bitmaps, and the physics/mechanics are probably loaded into memory during the race countdown.

Odds are we're getting both Power Drift and Tsu because M2's put a lot of work into them and knows there's a vocal, highly receptive (if limited) audience for these releases overseas. None of the arcade game releases have been left over in Japan, that's for sure, and this duo's not the "bonus games" for Archive No. 2.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I don't know if Puyo's a game that really required a lot of work; the producer brought it up in one of the interviews as an example of a game M2 proposed because it'd be easy but it got vetoed because there's basically no 3D element to it.

As for Power Drift, the obvious extras would be to port the network version and/or replicate the extras from the Saturn port.

AmyS

sörine;178326833 said:
Yeah, MegaDrive was modeled off the System-16 board I believe. In some ways it's sort of like a cut down S16 with a SMS tacked on.

I think what sixteen-bit specifically means is (I mean the answer he's looking for) Puyo Puyo 2 was on Sega's System C-2 Hardware, one of I think three boards based directly on the MD (tho all had some slight differences)

http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=705

Slermy

My god, I want portal Puyo Puyo on my 3DS so bad.

Yes, I know there's the Virtual Console release of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for Game Gear, AND there's the Puyo Puyo Minigame in Project Mirai DX. I have both, but this would be THE REAL DEAL.

Remk

Puyo Puyo Tsu and Power Drift??!!

NNhhrghh!!!

Come on Sega (and whatever western publishing staff is left), dont fail us here and confirm a western digital release.

For old times' sake maybe? :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sega saw my predictions & decided to be all LOL NOPE. The 24th is the latest we've ever gotten a 3D Classic within the month.

Tizoc

So this week's the week right?
right?!
Sonic2_box_jap.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Uuuhhhh, weird, did they run into some weird tech problems they had to delay the US/EU releases? Maybe they're secretly adding in Knuckles &/or Hidden Palace Zone after tons of feedback?

They said Sept., so something must be up, considering this is the last Thursday of the month.

TheMoon

Uuuhhhh, weird, did they run into some weird tech problems they had to delay the US/EU releases? Maybe they're secretly adding in Knuckles &/or Hidden Palace Zone after tons of feedback?

They said Sept., so something must be up, considering this is the last Thursday of the month.

Why would it be tech? The more likely reason is that there's a ratings hiccup or it's jammed up in lotcheck somewhere.

Tizoc

Wait wasn't there word that Taxman would work or help with the Sonic 2 3DS ver.?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why would it be tech? The more likely reason is that there's a ratings hiccup or it's jammed up in lotcheck somewhere.
Bah, you're right. I was just getting my hopes up considering JPN didn't get either Knuckles nor Hidden Palace Zone.

Hopefully, we'll hear from Sega on the matter later this week (or maybe today, but doubtful).

AmyS

No, 3D Sonic 2 isn't coming this week.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/41203/sonic-boom-fire-and-ice-3d-sonic-2-delayed

3D Classics version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 which was originally slated for September has slipped slightly, as it is missing from the European download list for this week. Sega's usual 3D Classics developer blogs which are posted during the week of release have not yet been posted. Unless the Sonic remaster has a "Sonic 2sday" release next week, it appears the earliest the title can release is October 1

Hmm...

Espiox

This doesn't technically confirm anything, but Sonic 2 isn't listed on the EU eShop yet. Normally these games seem to appear there about a week before their release date.

@MUWANdo

Banned
On the same day as Sega 3D Archives 2, you'll also be able to pick up a double-pack with both retail releases for 6990 yen. It sounds like it's both releases in a slipcase or something but the PR doesn't talk about the packaging at all.

Top Bottom