• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serena Williams takes to tennis court in a designer tutu after her catsuit is banned

caffeware

Banned
Serena Williams has seen the black catsuit she wore at the French Open, which helped prevent blood clots she was susceptible to, banned from the tennis court.

But that doesn’t mean she’ll be conservative in her fashion choices.

In a truly badass move, the 36-year-old wore a designer tutu when she defeated Magda Linette in the first round of the US Open.

sei_26919107-f159.jpg

And the high fashion tutu did nothing to detract from her game, with Williams winning 6-4 6-0 against Linette.

Speaking after the game, Serena said of her outfit: ‘It’s easy to play in. Kind of aerodynamic with the one arm free. It feels really good.

‘Yeah, the tutu is easy to play in because I practiced in it before. That was fun.’

The banned outfit.

maxresdefault.jpg

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It looked hideous, tacky and just wildly inappropriate.

How is it wildly inappropriate?

She was wearing it for medical reasons and its not even the first time someone has worn one in competition.

caffeware

Banned
Why would they ban her catsuit? What was the problem?

But the catsuit won’t be welcome at Roland Garros again. While fans and the media praised the look, French Tennis Federation president Bernard Giudicelli said in a Tennis Magazine interview published Friday that it won’t be back.

“I think we sometimes went too far,” he said. “The combination of Serena this year, for example, it will no longer be accepted. You have to respect the game and the place.”

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nobody_Important

“I think we sometimes went too far,” he said. “The combination of Serena this year, for example, it will no longer be accepted. You have to respect the game and the place.”

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah and nothing says "Respect the game and the place" quite like telling abunch of women they gotta wear mini skirts if they wanna play lol

"In a truly badass move, the 36-year-old wore a designer tutu when she defeated Magda Linette in the first round of the US Open. "

there is literally nothing bad ass out of any of this. rich tennis player wears a designer tutu because she wasnt allowed to wear another outfit

Last edited:
She should have gone out like Russell Crowe in Gladiator-like garb.

I honestly see no problem with the catsuit. Does it somehow give her an advantage?

I mean, different sport, but guys wear that stuff in figure skating?

She should have sported pasties and one of those male half-thongs. Fuck 'em

Last edited:

brap

Banned
"In a truly badass move, the 36-year-old wore a designer tutu when she defeated Magda Linette in the first round of the US Open. "

there is literally nothing bad ass out of any of this. rich tennis player wears a designer tutu because she wasnt allowed to wear another outfit
umm sweetie rich women throwing a fit and wearing tutus is totes badass :goog_blowing_kiss:

I don't see the issue? How is that any worse than forcing women to run around in mini-skirts?
Probably because normal skirts have regular underwear underneath not undies that practically show your asshole.

Ridiculous ban. But sports tend to have ridiculous rules, especially around clothing, so not the first time I've seen a subject like this. Not to say that they aren't targeting her unfairly. Though I'd have to say the catsuit didn't really look that good on her.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah and nothing says "Respect the game and the place" quite like telling abunch of women they gotta wear mini skirts if they wanna play lol

I don't see the issue? How is that any worse than forcing women to run around in mini-skirts?

That apparently the only way to "respect the game" of tennis as a woman is to play in a mini skirt.
Do the new French Open rules for 2019 actually stipulate that a female player has to wear a skirt? I tried Googling that with no luck.

Did you make it up?

Last edited:

Greedings

Williams looks like the woman down the street who comes to the neighbourhood BBQ with 8 kids and a massive bowl of potato salad.

Lol banning her catsuit was stupid as fuck. People have literally worn the same outfit before but when she does it it's suddenly too much.

Nobody_Important

Lol banning her catsuit was stupid as fuck. People have literally worn the same outfit before but when she does it it's suddenly too much.

Yeah. Its bullshit. I'm glad she answered back the way she did with the tutu though. Its a nice touch lol

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah. Its bullshit. I'm glad she answered back the way she did with the tutu though. Its a nice touch lol
So, you did make it up? I assume so as you don't seem willing to answer my question.

You have stated 3 times in this thread that females are going to be forced to wear mini skirts. Where did you get this idea from?

Nobody_Important

So, you did make it up? I assume so as you don't seem willing to answer my question.

You have stated 3 times in this thread that females are going to be forced to wear mini skirts. Where did you get this idea from?

Well they took away their ability to wear a suit like hers. That leaves their only options as shorts and what? Oh right. Skirts.

I don't see what is wrong with the tutu? It looks fine, and I'm pretty sure she has worn something like it before. The catsuit is unflattering though, at least in those pics.

Nobody_Important

I don't see what is wrong with the tutu? It looks fine, and I'm pretty sure she has worn something like it before. The catsuit is unflattering though, at least in those pics.

She wasn't wearing it to look good. She was wearing it for medical reasons.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

So, they are not being forced to wear a mini skirt.

I thought so.

No they are just removing options from women until they only have two options. Thats obviously a big difference. How silly of me.

Helios

No they are just removing options from women until they only have two options. Thats obviously a big difference. How silly of me.
You mean like in every other professional sport and for every gender? Football players aren't allowed to come in tank tops and baggy jeans. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see this as a women issue.

Top Bottom