• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serena Williams takes to tennis court in a designer tutu after her catsuit is banned

serena-williams-extravagant-outfits-won-t-be-accepted-at-french-open.jpg

Maybe this is the problem?
A devastating forehand? Only a problem if you're her opponent.
No they are just removing options from women until they only have two options. Thats obviously a big difference. How silly of me.
Wait, are you conflating something specific to one individual and using it as an argument that applies to all? I'm shocked.
I'm not shocked.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
You mean like in every other professional sport and for every gender? Football players aren't allowed to come in tank tops and baggy jeans. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see this as a women issue.

I just find it rather ridiculous that suits like this were worn before and no rules were made, but she wears it and immediately after the tournament there is a new rule and she is somehow not "respecting the game and the place"

i dont have to. she stopped wearing the catsuit. clearly im right

Yeah the guy took off the cast on his arm! Clearly his arm was never broken!

Nice logic there lol

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
She uggo let her wear whatever she wants

Who even watches tennis like calm down tennis officials

Helios

I just find it rather ridiculous that suits like this were worn before and no rules were made, but she wears it and immediately after the tournament there is a new rule and she is somehow not "respecting the game and the place"
From what I've seen in various articles Tennis tournaments have strict dress codes. Sometimes banning stuff like headbands or different colored shoe soles. So them banning her outfit isn't exactly unexpected.

Last edited:
How is pointing out the flaws in your logic "grasping at straws"?

You basically said "Well she took it off so that clearly proves she was lying!". Thats not how that works.

nope i proved you wrong. i came with a clear reason why shes lying. if she wasnt she wouldnt have changed her outfit then you came saying some weird stuff about somebodys arm cast. i dont know what it means and i doubt you do either. listen nobody import ants i love proving you wrong each and every time

Nobody_Important

nope i proved you wrong. i came with a clear reason why shes lying.

Except you didn't. All you said was that she took it off and that proves it. Except it doesn't prove anything. You are just claiming it does and declaring victory. Its rather funny actually lol

Except you didn't. All you said was that she took it off and that proves it. Except it doesn't prove anything. You are just claiming it does and declaring victory. Its rather funny actually lol

except i did. hey listen i know you dont like facts. but im begging and pleading with you to listen to them now. i mean you dont listen to gun facts. facts about race or sexuality or biology or facts about social situations but if there is one fact i want you to understand if thats serena is lying about the tutu

petran79

Banned
I remember 15 years ago at one tournament they hired fashion models for ball girls and Agassi was displeased. Plus they were so slow....

Nobody_Important

except i did. hey listen i know you dont like facts. but im begging and pleading with you to listen to them now. i mean you dont listen to gun facts. facts about race or sexuality or biology or facts about social situations but if there is one fact i want you to understand if thats serena is lying about the tutu

You do realize that just because you say it doesn't make it a fact right? You have no proof whatsoever that she was lying other than your own assumptions.

Papa

Banned
You mean like in every other professional sport and for every gender? Football players aren't allowed to come in tank tops and baggy jeans. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see this as a women issue.

It’s 2018, everything is a women issue.

Papa

Banned

Yeah the guy took off the cast on his arm! Clearly his arm was never broken!

Nice logic there lol

Can you show me an example of a suit like Serena’s being worn before?

Dude Abides

Banned

She wore the suit to prevent blood clotting. The risk of blood clotting is high after childbirth and gradually decreases over time. Now you can quit saying stupid things.

Last edited:

Tapioca

Banned
Williams looks like the woman down the street who comes to the neighbourhood BBQ with 8 kids and a massive bowl of potato salad.

Nope. She looks like a top-level professional athlete. Not very many people could afford to live down the street from her.

Tapioca

Banned
i dont have to. she stopped wearing the catsuit. clearly im right

The leggings of the TuTu appear to still be a compression garment. Compression garments are extremely common place in sports. Turn on ESPN at anytime they are showing any sort of physical sport and you will see them. They provide numerous benefits. And I don't know how she could be lying, she gave birth not long ago....

ymoc

I mean if it's for medical reasons and many people seem to have a problem with the skin tight suit to the point of banning it why doesn't she just wear a skirt on top of it? Seems like an easy win to me.

bigedole

What did other women who returned to Tennis post childbirth do? Did they wait until the risk had passed and could follow the rules properly? I don't understand why Serena would expect special treatment... if she considers the risk meaningful she should train privately until she feels comfortable competing under the same restrictions as everyone else.

This really seems like a nobrainer. Is there a part of this issue I'm not understanding?

Y2H

Hopefully Serena's tutu is banned and they make her wear baggy clothing instead. I'm sick and tired of seeing her disgustingly flabby arse and thighs corrupting my innocent eyes every year I watch Wimbledon. I swear the people operating the cameras are instructed to zoom in specifically on her lower half at all times during a match to try and make the viewers lose their lunch.

Shifty

Makes a pretty good case for tennis introducing an official attire akin to various other sports, rather than picking and choosing arbitrarily what is and isn't appropriate.

The official statement sounds like abstract hot air about 'the sport' to cover the fact that some official got offended by a big butt and decided to put their foot down.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Old school thinking related to sports dress is always an issue...I don't see why Serena would need to wear a skirt or a "traditional outfit" to play the game of tennis.

I fully accept that the sport wants to maintain a bit of tradition and stay in line with Tennis culture...but the times are changing. These players are essentially brands. Someone who's pretty good at tennis, but sticks out a lot is going to bring eyes to your sport more than someone who's amazing at the sport these days.

Try and define where the limits are as best you can and let these people be who they are and hopefully put on a great display of the sport.

I think the NBA is going in the right direction by allowing players to wear whatever color shoes they want. It seems like an obvious recognition that there's branding associated with the players themselves outside of the organizations and it allows people to better connect with their favorite players and give their players more freedom in representing them self.

Last edited:
Dress rules for tennis competition is nothing new. Andre Agassiz literally used to skip Wimbledon because they would only allow him to wear white.

The leggings of the TuTu appear to still be a compression garment. Compression garments are extremely common place in sports. Turn on ESPN at anytime they are showing any sort of physical sport and you will see them. They provide numerous benefits. And I don't know how she could be lying, she gave birth not long ago....

They provide many benefits but in no way are they a medical necessity. I guess women just didn't do anything active after giving birth prior to the invention of compression gear.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Doubling down on dumb isn’t a good look.

I think I can safely assume you don't watch professional sports.

First of all, every professional sport has a dress code, for visibility, tradition, or to make sure athletes don't gain an advantage due to attire.

Second of all, if an athlete is injured or at a high risk of injury, then they shouldn't be playing.

I don't know where's the controversy in not allowing someone to break the dress code, except due to silly social movements.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

First of all, every professional sport has a dress code, for visibility, tradition, or to make sure athletes don't gain an advantage due to attire.

Second of all, if an athlete is injured or at a high risk of injury, then they shouldn't be playing.

I don't know where's the controversy in not allowing someone to break the dress code, except due to silly social movements.

The controversy is in the fact that this is a NEW DRESS CODE!!! She didn't break the dress code. They are creating new Serena rules! They created this new dress code AFTER they saw her catsuit part II. How do people not understand this? And this catsuit was the 2nd best cat suit. She wore the Gold Medal cut suit like 14 years ago.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Bit torn on this one.

On the one hand, mandatory dress codes have never sat well with me even though I appreciate the reasons why certain activities/vocations may require them.

On the other hand people who think the entire universe should fold itself around their personal wants really get on my nerves.

Yup, it’s a bit of a poser.

Dude Abides

Banned

I think I can safely assume the only sport you’ve ever participated in is channel surfing. Athletes play injured all the time. They even use devices to mitigate the risk of reinjury. These little-known items go by many names, such as “braces,” “tape,” “goggles,” or “pads.”

Obviously this wasn’t against the dress code because they let her play. Then they decided to ban it because reasons.

Last edited:

NickFire

The controversy is in the fact that this is a NEW DRESS CODE!!! She didn't break the dress code. They are creating new Serena rules! They created this new dress code AFTER they saw her catsuit part II. How do people not understand this? And this catsuit was the 2nd best cat suit. She wore the Gold Medal cut suit like 14 years ago.
I don't get what the catsuit issue was. Maybe its just some tennis thing I'm not privy to since I've never really played outside of informally with friends.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't get what the catsuit issue was. Maybe its just some tennis thing I'm not privy to since I've never really played outside of informally with friends.

The guy just said the outfit was a disrespect to "the game". He really didn't explain how and why it's disrespectful though.

Top Bottom