• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serena Williams takes to tennis court in a designer tutu after her catsuit is banned

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I swear I can't see what you people are seeing. You see this as high fat percentage?

o-SERENA-WILLIAMS-570.jpg

29serena-setf.jpg

Man I feel bad for women. :-(
It's mind boggling lol and I agree on that last point wholeheartedly.

Tapioca

Banned
Serena is all muscle and people are in here trying to call her fat. LOL.

Her body is at an insane level of fitness that most humans never reach.

It'd be like calling Brock Lesnar fat. Completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Beautiful Powerful Black Women always seem to piss off a certain type of person...
I love women of all colours, but she looks horrible in that jumpsuit.

Trendy people learn to dress to their body type. I make sure I look good before I leave the house.

She didn’t get the memo.

hecatomb

Banned
Yet I just posted a image of what some female runners wear, and no one cares, but if a black tennis player wears a fully covered suit everyone loses their minds.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yet I just posted a image of what some female runners wear, and no one cares, but if a black tennis player wears a fully covered suit everyone loses their minds.
Is it because one is black and one is white or because one has a fat arse and one doesn’t?

:pie_thinking:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They “clarified” the rules because of people like you screeching on the internet. In other words, they are changing the rules so it doesn’t happen again. They are doing the typical thing of responding to the backlash. The original rule was adjudicated correctly.

Where is the link to your quote btw?

The story I posted was in some dumb MSN breaking news thing that Windows 10 delivers to you, but now I can't find it. :-/
But that was the story word for word.

The sad part is nobody is talking about the fact that one of the reasons why she wore the Catsuit 2 is because it was for "women that've dealt with hard pregnancies". It was suppose to represent them.

Last edited:

Ke0

These last couple of pages remind me of that article I read where trainers of other stars said Serena being muscular is annoying and unfair because that's not how women should look, and it's important for female tennis players to keep their "feminine" figure. *insert eyeroll here*

Mohonky

These last couple of pages remind me of that article I read where trainers of other stars said Serena being muscular is annoying and unfair because that's not how women should look, and it's important for female tennis players to keep their "feminine" figure. *insert eyeroll here*

Haha which trainers were these?

The Williams girls have always been big (they are naturally very muscular), it's just their build. It's normal for them. Just because it's different to many other women doesnt mean its not their natural physique, why anyone would complain about that is beyond me.

Arkage

Banned
They “clarified” the rules because of people like you screeching on the internet. In other words, they are changing the rules so it doesn’t happen again. They are doing the typical thing of responding to the backlash. The original rule was adjudicated correctly.

Where is the link to your quote btw?

God forbid people voice their opinion and a dumb rule gets tossed. Oh, wait, that's called progress.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
God forbid people voice their opinion and a dumb rule gets tossed. Oh, wait, that's called progress.
I stated that I think the rule was dumb previously, try to keep up mate. More reading, less snark.

I was simply posting facts so we can get past the fake news being posted here by a handful of amateur keyboard activists.

Arkage

Banned
I stated that I think the rule was dumb previously, try to keep up mate. More reading, less snark.

I was simply posting facts so we can get past the fake news being posted here by a handful of amateur keyboard activists.

Your phrase "people like you screeching on the internet" led me to believe you would not approve of said screeching on the internet to change policy.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Your phrase "people like you screeching on the internet" led me to believe you would not approve of said screeching on the internet to change policy.
It is an apt description of this type of internet outrage culture.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
But would the rule have changed without the screeching? The screeching was good in this case, no?
The outcome is not a negative, no. The way it was achieved in this case (and many other situations) is not a positive thing though.

I think any level-headed person can agree that internet outrage culture is well and truly out of control.

Just a few thoughts. Banning that outfit was dumb. The tutu looks much better. Serena is a beautiful woman, but some hairstyles and outfits are a lot more flattering than others.

edit: Also, young Magic was really handsome.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Come on, that is not from the same time frame, we are talking about her current form. Many athletes gain weight during injury or after time off periods. In the pictures from the game we are talking about, she's overweight and needs to lose some to get back to the shape she's in here.

Why are you feeling bad for women? Athletes have to be in great shape to compete, such a ridiculous statement.
But she can compete at her current weight and fitness level. 99% of women tennis players (probably 100%) would kill to be able to compete at her level. But somehow you are the expert on her body and her optimum weight and not her or the trainers and physios.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The catsuit wasn't banned. She can only not wear it at the French Open, she is free to wear whatever she likes at any other tournament. So this wasn't a reaction at all, she never wears the same dress twice.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
But somehow you are the expert on her body and her optimum weight and not her or the trainers and physios.
For her age and height, her optimum weight is 64-65kg. She currently weighs between 84-90kg apparently. Not that it matters as long as she can compete, like you said. But that is heavy for a female athlete not involved in weight/strength sports. I have no problem with it. She is a champion and all-time great.

For her age and height, her optimum weight is 64-65kg. She currently weighs between 84-90kg apparently. Not that it matters as long as she can compete, like you said. But that is heavy for a female athlete not involved in weight/strength sports. I have no problem with it. She is a champion and all-time great.

She does a ton of strength training, her workouts are extremely strenuous.

mckmas8808

The outcome is not a negative, no. The way it was achieved in this case (and many other situations) is not a positive thing though.

I think any level-headed person can agree that internet outrage culture is well and truly out of control.

No people like "you" especially think that this so-called "internet outrage culture" is out of control. I don't agree with you. I view it as hundreds of millions of people giving an opinion. That's it! Sometimes it leads to things changing, sometimes it's just alot of conversation and nothing happens, and sometimes it's alot of people saying and believing dumb things that don't make sense. But it's not out of control.

Who are you to say what's the "optimum" weight for Serena? You want her to compete at 145 lbs or 65kg, but Serena has always competed between 155-165 lbs (70-75 kg). If she really is 190 lbs today, that would TOTALLY surprise me because she still looks super athletic and quick.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Who are you to say what's the "optimum" weight for Serena? You want her to compete at 145 lbs or 65kg, but Serena has always competed between 155-165 lbs (70-75 kg). If she really is 190 lbs today, that would TOTALLY surprise me because she still looks super athletic and quick.
I didn’t say it. The field of medicine did. Take it up with them.

She certainly doesn’t pass the eye test though.

mckmas8808

I didn’t say it. The field of medicine did. Take it up with them.

She certainly doesn’t pass the eye test though.

The field of medicine also said that LL Cool J was overweight\obese when he looked like this. His BMI was at 30, because he was like 6 foot 1 inches tall and 225 pounds. Sometimes the medical industry can say some weird stuff.

51-QcWDgADL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The field of medicine also said that LL Cool J was overweight\obese when he looked like this. His BMI was at 30, because he was like 6 foot 1 inches tall and 225 pounds. Sometimes the medical industry can say some weird stuff.

51-QcWDgADL._SX383_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
It’s an estimated guide, not written into law. You should put the shield down once in a while. No need to get so worked up.

Many people think she looks a bit large. As long as she can still compete and do what she wants, it doesn’t matter.

Like I said, she’s a champion. If she keeps winning, more power to her.

mckmas8808

It’s an estimated guide, not written into law. You should put the shield down once in a while. No need to get so worked up.

Many people think she looks a bit large. As long as she can still compete and do what she wants, it doesn’t matter.

Like I said, she’s a champion. If she keeps winning, more power to her.

Why is it so hard to have genuine conversations on the internet and social media? People are always thinking everyone is so mad and outraged. I'm not worked up at all. Just have a normal/basic conversation about a sports athlete.

Serena lost the baby weight and is back down to her competition weight. She did it by doing her normal raw vegan diet, training and giving up breastfeeding.

You can't do an eye test, especially after any kind of physical activity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom