• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shütshimi: Seriously Swole |OT| More Pumped Up Than A Blowfish (Wii U Coming Soon)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess if you consider Seaman a fish, I'd say that is my favorite fish related game. He's more of a Japanese David Lynch creature, though, that was the main draw for me since it was pretty unintentionally creepy. The voice commands were mind blowing back then, but now it seems more obviously shallow and broken. Don't matter though, watching that thing "respond" to your inappropriate suggestions was a weird and beautiful experience.

OnPoint

Seaman definitely counts, mattiewheels, so check your PM box :)

In fact I haven't really turned a game someone has said away yet because everyone has been great at describing why. Someone could have even come in and said "Call of Duty Ghosts because that fish AI is bananas" and I would have laughed and gave them a code.

I'm surprised the PSN version is moving faster than the Steam version in the giveaway, though. Either way, codes are still available for both.

The only benefit I know of invisibility is lock on attacks, like the first boss submarine cannot target Shutshimi, and the homing missiles he fires go completely straight instead of home in.

I suppose the benefit of it is to avoid enemies or attacks that specifically target Shutshimi don't work because his lack of visibility makes him untargetable.

You've got it. There are several enemies in the game that use lock on to attack, which invisibility affects. It's surprisingly powerful.

I really like the game. I beat the first round of bosses and scored over 9000. I always take the hat upgrades, no ragrets. 10 seconds feels almost too short though per round.

Loving the game so far. It reminds me of the rapid pace of a Warioware game but with the score attack structure and variety of Jetpack Joyride. It has become the new pick up and play game for my Vita

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm surprised the PSN version is moving faster than the Steam version in the giveaway, though. Either way, codes are still available for both.
You can't beat having it on PS4, Vita AND Playstation TV with one code. Cross buy is an awesome feature.

Yeah, this game really jams, I love the writing and the warioware feel, I would have expected more enemy variety to go with the gameplay variety, but it seems the further you play the more they change it up.

Primus

Thanks for the Steam code!

The game is fun in bite-sized pieces, I enjoy the craziness of the power-ups even if some of them are booby traps. The cannonballs are my nemesis. The difficulty ramp in the second level was a bit of a surprise considering how easy the first level was, so that took some quick readjusting. Game gets real very quick. :)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the game today. I thought it was pretty fun, and great for quick sessions. The shop items really make this game shine, and the other impressions make me want to check out Warioware now, if it's anything like this. I think the difficulty was fair, though having to start from the very beginning always sucked (I know, git gud, etc.) This was compounded by the fact that I didn't discover the special move button until literally my last run of the game, after I had beaten the main game and boss rush and everything. Whoops. Anyway, my biggest beef is with how bad the RNG was for hats. I'm still missing 6 of them, and I'm pretty sure at least 1, maybe 2 hours of my 4 hour playtime was from farming specific hats. Other than that, the game doesn't overstay its welcome, so I'd definitely recommend it.

I ended up getting all the steam achievements even though I think I'm still missing about 10 in-game ones, so here's a quick guide for those of you who were sort of confused like I was, or just want advice:

Invincible Defender - The boss rush is pretty hard because you only have 1 life to clear it. You might want the fish bowl item before the third boss, but you definitely need it for the fifth boss, or at least I did. Those bullets and those dragon head bullets that lock you in place are just a pain in the ass. Also it took forever for me to figure out the third boss telegraphs his tentacle hit with a phantom strike immediately before it (which doesn't hurt you). Go for damage increasing items (like the demon statue looking thing, or the cog item), the ketchup bottle for slow bullets, the pill for fast movements, etc. otherwise.

True Defender - Beat the sixth boss.

The Dead Sea - You just need 1000 defeated enemies.
Confetti Everywhere - Use the extra arms item/fishlets items, and just try to hit every enemy. If you can clear bosses fast enough (e.g., in a single round), they give bonus points as well (otherwise, they give ~1000). I got this after the third boss.

Hang Time - get the beach ball item, and stay to the top of the screen/bouncing off the top of enemies as much as possible.

Cool Fish - Pray to RNJesus that you get both the sunglasses from the hat items and a boomerang for a thunderstorm sometime afterwards.

Reckless Shopper - Basically, don't let the shop counter get past 8 seconds.

Tsundere Shark - Lipstick is a hat, and you just have to bump the front of a shark enemy. It won't hurt you/take a life.

Pacifish - Easily done in the first 10 rounds. Don't even touch the button your weapon, just dodge enemies, and don't kill the boss.

Snappy Dresser - Easy, just choose three hat items before you get a game over.

Rite of Passage - Beat the third boss.

Party Hard! - Again, pray to RNJesus for the drink hat from the hat items, and survive ten rounds afterwards. Fishbowl saved my ass here.

celsowmbr

Banned
Thanks for the PSN code !
This game is funny like hell!!!

Random power ups and crazy backgrounds !

You need skill and a bit of luck, of course

Dambrosi

Banned
Sounds great, I might pick it up on PSN if I don't somehow score a code for free (nudge nudge wink wink).

Also, if you like retro-style fishy foolishness, then check out Sayonara Umihara Kawase (called Yumi's Odd Odyssey or something like that in the US, I think), the last in a long line of 2D physics platformers starring a needlessly well-endowed schoolgirl angler and her friends as they use fishing lines as grappling hooks to traverse treacherous terrain and dispatch the day's catch in checkerboard-patterned, pastel-coloured SNES style. It's like Bionic Commando with proper momentum physics and walking carp, and without the shooting or fake Nazis. SUK/YOO is available on both the 3DS and PS Vita, if you want to give it a go.

Also also, Neo Aquarium. That game's the crab's tits. PC only, through Playism and Steam.

Favorite fish-related game...probably Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast. Remember getting it + the controller for Christmas as a kid and loved it.

As for the code, I'd love a PSN code, if there are any available :D

Pudge

Thanks for posting my review from over at TechRaptor OP :)

Despite my professional nitpicks with the game, I had a really good time with it. The ascetic and the chaos that happens on any given run is really fun. Certainly worth more attention than it's getting.

OnPoint

Only 6 PSN codes left -- if you want one ask soon as they'll be gone before you know it! Steam has a good deal more than 7 haha so ask for that instead if you prefer.

Also hey Pudge. Glad to hear you found it fun. We're trying to get the word out!

Played the game for 20 minutes, reached up to round 22

I absolutely had a blast with it so far! Loved the item selections and the way the boss fights were done was quite new for me.

I'll play more later!

derExperte

Only 6 PSN codes left -- if you want one ask soon as they'll be gone before you know it! Steam has a good deal more than 7 haha so ask for that instead if you prefer.

Also hey Pudge. Glad to hear you found it fun. We're trying to get the word out!

I'll go for a Steam key then. Don't know if it counts (there are fish in it) but I liked Aqua Kitty last year, it's nothing special, just Defender with cute kitties and at the end the difficulty spikes a little too much on 'normal' but damn those kitties are cute. Plus the wonderfully animated 16Bit graphics in general and the soundtrack is lovely so it gets a recommendation if you want a not too complex 2D shooter. Too bad they never added online coop.

OnPoint

IndieGames.com ran an article on the design of the game today.

http://indiegames.com/2015/09/how_to_be_interesting_in_ten_s.html

I'll go for a Steam key then. Don't know if it counts (there are fish in it) but I liked Aqua Kitty last year, it's nothing special, just Defender with cute kitties and at the end the difficulty spikes a little too much on 'normal' but damn those kitties are cute. Plus the wonderfully animated 16Bit graphics in general and the soundtrack is lovely so it gets a recommendation if you want a not too complex 2D shooter. Too bad they never added online coop.

Sent you a Steam key, but I'm not trying to discourage anyone from asking for PSN. I just want people to ask asap so I don't run out before they get what they prefer.

Game looks a lot better in motion! The sshots actually thew me off!

Would prefer a vita version x10 times, but I'm EU. Steam v. it is please!

NineH

My favorite fish game would have to be sega bass fishing.

I'd like a PSN code if I am lucky enough to win one.

So this game was made by insane people ;) and I think it's pretty fun. WIsh there was some more enemy variety, sharks in outfits or something, i know it changes, but maybe a few new fish or squid, idk. Overall though I love the super quick levels and the RNG on the powerups. I think the bosses need some tweaking though. The Sub abd the Cat-Octopus thing went down super fast, whereas the dragon I had to fight three times before it got killed. Seems either to take less damage from me or more damage to take- if that makes sense. Overall though it's a pretty fun pick up and play title. Thanks again for the PS4 code and hopefully we'll see some neat changes in upcoming patches. I'd love some on screen powerups as well that are randomly sprinkled in, so it's not that you're too OP'd. Thanks again.

Ozium

I forgot about this game until I saw the topic pop up... I have this wishlisted on Steam the muscle flexing reminded me of Cho Aniki lol..

if giveaway is still happening I would like to enter for Steam version and my favorite fish related game is Seaman... it was such a strange experience I will remember it always

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Yo I want in on that sweet Steam copy giveaway

Fave Fish game: Legend of the river king, an incredible fishing rpg harvest moonish feeling game for the gameboy. Love everything about it, great fishing, and fun progression. Also, you can also raise a fish in a minigame which I enjoyed greatly as a child.

I would like to try for a steam key. My favorite fish realted game would probably have to be Fantasy Life. There was a whole job deicated to fishing . I loved the fact that there was different rods and time references you could use / had to deal with. There was a good variety of fish to collect and you could use those for helping out people with errands, sell them and even cook them in more fancier meals.

There were also special fish called Lordfish in the game. These fish were the "boss" fish so to say of each region. They would put up the most fight and their appearance conditions were often the hardest to meet. After catching these fish they would not go simply in your bag. You had to travel to turn them in as bounties and if you played the game you would know that you can lose your bounties by random enemies if they hit it too much. The Lordfish were often the most interesting ones. Like there was a fire Lordfish inside a pool of lava in a volcano. One was up swimming in the clouds . You could also put these fish up in your home as decoration. Out of all the jobs in Fantasy Life it was the first one I maxed out. (well not counting the DLC jobs)

Here's a pic of my character . blah I'll upload it when I get home.

5F04E433-EF61-478F-B837-0FF9D5914221_zpsynuj9rak.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Played a bit yesterday and yeah, it's pretty cool. The 10-second wave thing took me a little bit of time to get used to but it makes for some nice pick-up-and-play gaming. The sprites are crisp and clean, and I like the shop system-even though I am still having a bit of trouble figuring out what exactly the upgrades I'm buying actually do :p

The chip music is pretty cool, too. I do look forward to playing some more so I can get more detailed impressions - only made it to like Wave 8 in the 10 min blog of time I had to play.

Daigr

Looks like a good ol horizontal shoot me up. Wasn't this game at the last Bit Bazarr in Toronto? Unfortunately couldn't make it.

Favourite fish game? Does Darius twin count?
I also tend to fish in online RPGs. Or is that frowned upon

OnPoint

Looks like a good ol horizontal shoot me up. Wasn't this game at the last Bit Bazarr in Toronto? Unfortunately couldn't make it.

Favourite fish game? Does Darius twin count?
I also tend to fish in online RPGs. Or is that frowned upon

I can't PM you your code. Do you have your PMs disabled? (Can that even be done?)

derExperte

Many thanks for the key, I already played the old free version a bit and it's great to discover all the addition. Also good that compared to other shooters the difficulty is manageable and doesn't immediately beat you to a pulp while the collectibles and other modes should give it some longevity.

ZeroCDR

My favorite fish related game? The Little Mermaid for NES

384342-disney-s-the-little-mermaid-nes-screenshot-the-boss-eels-who.png

One of the many Capcom NES classics, but this one seems to be overlooked, it's a really fun 2d sidescroller. You navigate levels shooting bubbles at enemy fish, capturing them and throwing them at things, which made for very fun boss fights. There were even upgrades you find in treasure chests to make your bubbles more powerful. A great, solid little video game whether you liked the movie or not.

I would like a Steam key if still available, many thanks for the promotion! :)

So I been playing it for about an hour now and my fish just got the Guile hairdo while having fish buddies during a thunderstorm. Sounds like GOTY to me.

So far I think the length of waves are pretty decent, I do wish some waves had a longer time frame however I can see how that could cause problems. I do like how ya can choose which type of wave you want even if you aren't sure what you are getting. I always found it exciting when I saw a new item pop up and went to use it right away. I feel it has the right amount of troll, funny, and useful items/levels. With this system it really keeps you on your toes since you aren't fully sure with what you are getting. It is very pick up and play type of game which I would prefer on a handheld system rather than computer, but it still controls well and overall an enjoyable game on the computer. I told a few people about it who had no clue about it, so they seem interested at least. :D

Now I saw something in here saying the 3DS version is on back hold. Should I just give up on waiting for that and wait for the Wii U version?

OnPoint

Many thanks for the key, I already played the old free version a bit and it's great to discover all the addition. Also good that compared to other shooters the difficulty is manageable and doesn't immediately beat you to a pulp while the collectibles and other modes should give it some longevity.

If you bought it through Humble, an updated key should be available to you soon (if not by the time you read this).

So I been playing it for about an hour now and my fish just got the Guile hairdo while having fish buddies during a thunderstorm. Sounds like GOTY to me.

So far I think the length of waves are pretty decent, I do wish some waves had a longer time frame however I can see how that could cause problems. I do like how ya can choose which type of wave you want even if you aren't sure what you are getting. I always found it exciting when I saw a new item pop up and went to use it right away. I feel it has the right amount of troll, funny, and useful items/levels. With this system it really keeps you on your toes since you aren't fully sure with what you are getting. It is very pick up and play type of game which I would prefer on a handheld system rather than computer, but it still controls well and overall an enjoyable game on the computer. I told a few people about it who had no clue about it, so they seem interested at least. :D

Now I saw something in here saying the 3DS version is on back hold. Should I just give up on waiting for that and wait for the Wii U version?

Thanks for spreading the word to your friends. Glad you're having fun :) I would say definitely don't count on the 3DS version. I will say, though, that if the 3DS version comes out, we will do everything in our power to make it Crossbuy with a Wii U purchase (though I can't actually promise or guarantee that will happen).

Thanks for spreading the word to your friends. Glad you're having fun :) I would say definitely don't count on the 3DS version. I will say, though, that if the 3DS version comes out, we will do everything in our power to make it Crossbuy with a Wii U purchase (though I can't actually promise or guarantee that will happen).

Well thanks for respond, it's good to know that it's not totally dead at this point. Cause it's really is a fun little game that I would like to take on the go. :D

Tremis

This man does his research.
Favorite fish related game?

Probably E.V.O.

I believe that would count considering you are a fish for a good portion.

Edit: PC/steam for keys if any are left.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
My favorite fish-related game is probably Feeding Frenzy. Played that a lot when I was a kid and had a blast. I also enjoyed Ecco the Dolphin for the Dreamcast, and E.V.O. for the SNES.

I would like a Vita/PSN code if possible. :)

Cels

Played it a little bit today.

Nice little zany shooter. And I truly mean zany. I got a laugh when one of the powerups makes the next 10 seconds into a bounce house. Yes, your character actually bounces on the floor and off enemies. I think it's something that you might set out to play in a short session but end up playing a long time without realizing it.

Another thing I have to note is "Acquire" is misspelled in the achievements list.

Dambrosi

Banned
So, Shu- er, Shú-- Shu...how the heck do you type umlauts, anyway?

Yeah, the people who compared this to Wario Ware and Parodius were spot on, as far as the look and feel of the game is concerned - short, sharp bursts of gameplay interspersed with comedic interludes where you choose the next round's weapons, playing field or special conditions. It's a unique game, I'll say that, though best suited for handheld gaming due to its nature. If I hadn't gotten it for free (thanks to the OP, btw), I would definitely pick it up for a quick chuckle on the way to the fish market.

Two things, though. Firstly, I would have appreciated more variety in enemy types from the start, like, say, Gradius-style ground turrets/walkers, or maybe mini-boss challenges along the way to the real boss, or maybe a timed boss rush? Secondly, The Binding Of Isaac has spoiled me as far as persistent power-ups are concerned, and all the while I was playing, I was wishing I could mix and match various power-ups for different effects, which could perhaps have added some longevity and variety to the bite-sized gameplay chunks the game is at present. Now, I don't know whether these are available in harder difficulties, since I was only able to play in Easy and Normal modes for now, but if not, then I would suggest that for any possible sequel that might be in the works. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

I doubt this will count but... Eh doesn't matter the more love Breathe of Fire 3 gets the better. BoF3 has a fishing mini game that gives you special items and collections for getting rare fish. I literally bought the PSP version when I was in Japan so I could play the mini game on the go. I think I spent more time on that mini game than I spend on games now.... I still hear the announcer voice saying "good" "great!" when throwing a line and catching something.

Santar

Hmm, I bought the regular version of this game last year. Wonder if there's any way to upgrade to the Seriously Swole version?
EDIT
Looks like they're working on getting steam keys for the new version out to owners of the original.

OnPoint

Hmm, I bought the regular version of this game last year. Wonder if there's any way to upgrade to the Seriously Swole version?
EDIT
Looks like they're working on getting steam keys for the new version out to owners of the original.

Emails with codes should have gone out to those who bought the original version through the Humble store last night. If you didn't get yours, please PM me and we can look into it.

Is this local multi-player only or does it support online too? My wife and I were playing co-op but couldn't tell if online multi-player was an option or not. It's definitely more fun with more players!

OnPoint

Is this local multi-player only or does it support online too? My wife and I were playing co-op but couldn't tell if online multi-player was an option or not. It's definitely more fun with more players!

Local only right now, sorry. It was our first game and we're only three people, so online co-op hit the chopping block so we could actually finish up and get the game out. It's something we're exploring internally as an option for the future, but there are no actual concrete plans as of yet.

Ozium

played this for about 45 minutes yesterday and found it to be quite addictive.. I love the idea of the fast 10 second rounds, it's like wario ware shmup style... I've faced 3 different bosses but died before I could unlock the last one for boss rush..

is there an end game or is it more score attack type? fun regardless

So, Shu- er, Shú-- Shu...how the heck do you type umlauts, anyway?

umlauted u is alt-129 ü.ü

Daigr

Played for a few hours last night. Going in didn't know the way the levels played. Thought it was traditional level with a boss at the end.
When I saw Wave 1 come up I thought oh it's a survival game. But the wave was quickly done.
Then the shop appeared. This is probably the best part of the game. You have no idea what you are getting when you make your purchase. Could be a great weapon or a fancy hat. It could also mess with your controls or make the next wave harder than it should be.
Boss fights occur every 10 waves.
It's fun for quick play sessions and a little wacky too.
Thanks again.

If you play with others in co-op its actually really fun to take turns when it comes to picking shop items. Its always great when your teammate ends up picking an item that screws stuff up instead of being helpful and the cursing begins. =) Maybe there could be an update that adds a "Russian Roulette" randomizer/4th option that chooses for you.

OnPoint

Three PSN codes left! C'mon, who wants em?!

Also a reminder: if you participate, please leave what system you want in the post so I know what to send you.

If you play with others in co-op its actually really fun to take turns when it comes to picking shop items. Its always great when your teammate ends up picking an item that screws stuff up instead of being helpful and the cursing begins. =) Maybe there could be an update that adds a "Russian Roulette" randomizer/4th option that chooses for you.

We've had a LOT of internal discussion about an update, and a Russian Roulette mode is on the table, though not exactly the one you've proposed... if it gets in there, me thinks you'll really like it.

Matriox

So I finally got a chance to sit down and play now, game is great! Music is awesome, and I've died on the butt level 3 times now lol. The 10 second stuff was a little odd to me at first, but once you get into the groove and read as fast as possible about what's going on for your next level, the whole concept is really cool, I've gotten to the 5th boss and died before I hopped off to go to bed, but I am really excited to download this on my vita and play at work on my weekends!

Cth

Ps4 version

My favorite fish game last gen was Feeding Frenzy on XBLA. My daughter has since rediscovered the game when i handed down my old Xbox to her. With so many games going the bullet mash em up rouge ala geometry wars it was a fun reflex based game where you dodged large fish while trying to get smaller fish so you can get bigger. Hopefully it'll make the leap to BC on XB1.

Top Bottom