• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior |OT| Who Wants Some More Wang?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
In chapter 5 and was wondering around looking for secrets, when I spotted two rabbits fucking like, well rabbits ;). I sliced them both at once and one of them
turned into a demon and started attacking me lol. Was a fucker trying to kill him as well.
Crazy stuff!

You can do this on every level with rabbits.

Zarx

Ptch nts pls

Shadow Warrior 1.0.3
- Fixed crashes while saving.
- Fixed the error when restarting the game would reset custom fov settings.
- Chapter 7 crash fixed.
- Fixed more places throughout the game where players could get stuck or fall below level geometry.
- Medipacks no longer spawn in containers after Lo Wang's pact with Hoji.
- Multi-screen setup fixed.
- Missing spanish texts fixed.

Sinatar

Difficulty achievements for beating the game are bugged, beat it on hard and it only gave me casual. Even loaded an old save and did the ending again, nothing.

Anyways, great game, shitty boss fights though.

KKRT00

Difficulty achievements for beating the game are bugged, beat it on hard and it only gave me casual. Even loaded an old save and did the ending again, nothing.

Anyways, great game, shitty boss fights though.

Have You changed it any time through the game to casual? Because it takes the lowest settings it was in. Just like i started on Hard and i'm playing on Insane and i get only Hard achievements.

----

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/npggu2/shadow-warrior-review

6.2 from GT. They said its too repetitive after half through and its too old school for today times - lol

Thats the reason why game like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic wont be done by big publisher again ...

Sinatar

Have You changed it any time through the game to casual? Because it takes the lowest settings it was in. Just like i started on Hard and i'm playing on Insane and i get only Hard achievements.

----

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/npggu2/shadow-warrior-review

6.2 from GT. They said its too repetitive after half through and its too old school for today times - lol

Thats the reason why game like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic wont be done by big publisher again ...

Nope, I never touched the difficulty setting. It just bugged out.

So my video was just called the "review of the year" by Devolver Digitals twitter account! LOL just glad they enjoyed it.
rNWzVXZ.png

Ifrit

If anyone is still interested in buying the game, I have some 1'% off coupons left on steam I can give away

Just PM me if you want one

Takuan

How's the multiplayer? Nothing was more satisfying than shooting off a nuke rocket in the vicinity of your opponent and then jumping/falling to a safe level in the original.

microtubule

A couple of recent patches:

Shadow Warrior Patch Notes:

Shadow Warrior 1.0.4b
- 'Shadow Warrior' achievement for finishing the game now unlocks correctly on all difficulty levels.

Shadow Warrior 1.0.4
- Some random crashes fixed.
- Fixed more places throughout the game where players could get stuck or fall below level geometry.
- Fixed Berserker's hit zone.
- Fixed crashes on troll shields break.
- Fixed enemy death lock.
- Fixed troll remains.
- Fixed a bug causing Mezu to fall off the arena after his death.

Two hours in, really having fun!

If these guys do a Blood remake - please don't dumb Caleb down!!

Tain

How's the pacing on the autosaves in this? Are they well-placed (SS3) or is the game just made assuming players will quicksave a bunch (SS1/2)?

Sinatar

How's the pacing on the autosaves in this? Are they well-placed (SS3) or is the game just made assuming players will quicksave a bunch (SS1/2)?

Checkpoints are all over the place, I rarely bothered with quicksaves as there was no need.

Tokubetsu

I really like the soundtrack. Only time I'm getting slow down is when a lot of stuff is blowing up. Nice as my pc is a little older.

NIN90

Game kinda started to drag for me at the halfway point because of several reasons.
For one, the game starts throwing enemies at you that are just not fun to fight (Necromancer, I'm looking at you) and your weapons just don't deal enough damage.
The guns feel really weak (just like in Hard Reset) and are mostly not really fun to use. The only decent weapon in my opinion is the shotgun and only when it's fully upgraded. I mean, even the standard cannon fodder enemies take 2 shots uplclose to kill them and the default shotgun can only hold 2 bullets before reloading. Using the sword is just way more effective than using any gun. At some point I just started abusing W W + LMB so fights wouldn't take forever. I just switched to guns so I could boost my rank. Maybe the joke's on me for choosing the hard difficulty but I felt the challenge was decent enough otherwise so I don't know.
The sword is a lot of fun to use but I hoped there would have been more moves to unlock. As it is, the sword fighting is kinda barebones.

So yeah, the game makes a great first impression but it falls apart around chapter 8.
Story is surprisingly interesting, though.

All in all, I'd still recommend it to every fan of late 90s to mid 00s era of FPS games. Those first 8 hours are still a lot of fun.

Doikor

Game kinda started to drag for me at the halfway point because of several reasons.
For one, the game starts throwing enemies at you that are just not fun to fight (Necromancer, I'm looking at you) and your weapons just don't deal enough damage.
The guns feel really weak (just like in Hard Reset) and are mostly not really fun to use. The only decent weapon in my opinion is the shotgun and only when it's fully upgraded. I mean, even the standard cannon fodder enemies take 2 shots uplclose to kill them and the default shotgun can only hold 2 bullets before reloading. Using the sword is just way more effective than using any gun. At some point I just started abusing W W + LMB so fights wouldn't take forever. I just switched to guns so I could boost my rank. Maybe the joke's on me for choosing the hard difficulty but I felt the challenge was decent enough otherwise so I don't know.
The sword is a lot of fun to use but I hoped there would have been more moves to unlock. As it is, the sword fighting is kinda barebones.

So yeah, the game makes a great first impression but it falls apart around chapter 8.
Story is surprisingly interesting, though.

All in all, I'd still recommend it to every fan of late 90s to mid 00s era of FPS games. Those first 8 hours are still a lot of fun.

Necromancers aren't that bad but once you get two or three of those beserker/minotaur thingies that you can only shoot in the back at the same time it really gets very tedious. Your only choice is to shoot at one for like 0.2s and then run/dodge the other ones and then rinse and repeat. Also you most likely wont be able to dodge all of them so you will be spamming that heal spell a lot.

Guy.brush

Why oh why does this game not have co-op?
That was one of the integral features of any BUILD engine game back then. DUKE3D, BLOOD, SHADOW WARRIOR, they all had co-op.

Tokubetsu

Necromancers aren't that bad but once you get two or three of those beserker/minotaur thingies that you can only shoot in the back at the same time it really gets very tedious. Your only choice is to shoot at one for like 0.2s and then run/dodge the other ones and then rinse and repeat. Also you most likely wont be able to dodge all of them so you will be spamming that heal spell a lot.

Ki attacks are really powerful against them and shields.

Sinatar

Yea the only enemies I'd call tedious are the stupid charging guys with the weak point on their back. Even going off on their weakpoint they take way too many hits.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Finally getting a smooth 60 fps after the latest patch and a driver update for my card. Also threw some SweetFX on there.

This may be the most fun I've had with an FPS in a long time. Using the katana just feels so perfect once you get the ki attacks down and get a feel for how your movement changes your slashing. I'm only on the fourth chapter, but this is already looking like a GOTY contender for me.

Just beat the game on Hard and had a generally positive experience. I think I'd give the game a slight edge over Rise of the Triad, though RotT was much more faithful to the original experience.

Overall, the enjoyment of the game was built on the sword combat being very fun. Plenty of moves to play with. Once you get skills that restore health on Ki attacks it can get real interesting. It almost becomes like Space Marine, where you kind of throw caution to the wind and just go buck wild with your sword.

But the game had its issues. Guns felt weak and weren't fun to use. Boss fights, while a cool spectacle, were not particularly fun. There just wasn't really good feedback on whether you were fighting the bosses correctly. And those charger enemies that others have complained about, those were just bad encounters. They do too much damage, turn too sharply, daze you if you get hit, can pin you in a corner. When there was two of them or they had a ton of other guys around it was downright unenjoyable. And then I felt some of the levels dragged on a bit too long.

Still, I was able to enjoy the game. Even was pleasantly surprised by some of the dialog and story bits. Thought those would be very weak, but both were better than my expectations.

squall23

I beat the game too. Is there any way to unlock or cheat the level 3 sword before we normally get it? I just want to mess around with it in the earlier levels

KKRT00

Finally finished Shadow Warrior, it took me almost 22h on Insane Difficulty, stats below:

ibn3IJaWtdSEjF.jpg

----
Length and Progression
A little too long, it could be shorter, but they forced You to some unnecessary fights and made levels too long. Progression is mediocre, it takes too much time [5-6h] to get to good weapons and decent upgrades, fortunately Katana compensates for most of that. I would prefer shorter game focused on difficulty and speed running.
Boss Fights:
Boss fights are terrible, i dont know who thought that was good idea. Even though the idea behind boss fight is quite decent, which nice variety in stages, but execution is very bad. They are long and boring, hit boxes of bosses attacks are awful, You're too slow for certain attacks even with upgraded stamina. Next annoying thing is that they move so much and theirs hit zones are all the time covered by their arms or weapons, which makes it almost impossible to hit with anything other than revolver and uzi, because other weapons have short range or slow projectiles.
Enemies:
Liked most of them, quite a nice variety, lower demons are insane joy to fight with.
Big demons were too big, which made hitting with Katana them annoying, also most of theirs AOE attacks hit You through walls - not cool.
In last few chapters, dev throw at You too many big Demons which are total bullet sponges, with freaking fucked up Charge Demon with weak point on back - who the fuck tested this game and wasnt annoyed by them? Especially the fight with two of them in room with destructible cardboard was awful and unfair.
Level design was from time to time bad too. Flying Wild Hog You cant put tons of enemies with big ones in very tight spots, also why You give player dash when he cant use it effectively?
Weapons:
Katana - Godlike, one of the best weapon ever created in FPP games.
Shurikens - WTF? Totally omitted weapon by devs and they dont even fly in straight line, totally wasted potential for something cool, especially with upgrade system
Revolver - havent upgraded it, but had quite nice damage and aim
Uzi - decent at the beginning when fully upgraded, i used it sometimes on bosses, because there was no better weapon, but generally very weak
Crossbow - upgraded it once on boss and it was terrible, could be decent for demons
Shotgun - havent upgraded it, probably quite good, if reload is fast
Flamethrower - flame damage is terrible, but grenades were quite decent for sub-bosses, very slow though, slow projectiles, extremely short range
Rocket Launcher - terrible, i dont know have can You fuck up something like this, when so many games in the past, did it so great. Very slow projectiles, unresponsive shooting, bugging 3 shot loader etc. Unfortunately You have to use it on many sub-bosses and all bosses, and You'll be annoyed every time, You do it.
Generally i think Flying Wild Hog lacked decent testers, because some of those design flaws are very basic, like for example slow projectiles when You have big bosses in big areas or unresponsive shooting and constant reloading in very fast paced shooter.
Story and dialogs:
Decent story and superb dialogs. I've anticipated every conversation between Hoji and Lo Wang and all fortune cookies advices :)
Graphics:
Terrible at the beginning, much, much better later on. Very focused art direction and sometimes very gorgeous lighting. Very good use of high quality shaders to enhance textures patterns.
Difficulty:
Too easy for a first few hours, very good later on, except for instances with bad level design as i mentioned earlier.
Game is so hard in later levels that it would be impossible to finish it on gamepad on Insane difficulty. I'm very interested to see how they change difficulty for next-gen consoles :)

Even with all those flaws, i loved the game. There is not many good FPP shooters this days and Shadow Warrior is one of the best and fastest with excellent melee combat. Its awesome, but flawed game and i hope that it will get bigger and more focused sequel someday with coop feature perhaps :)
To sum it up, i would say, that I take easily Shadow Warrior like game over any linear, scripted console title, i like Uncharted, but this game is so much more fun to play.

I'm playing Shadow Warrior on insane, I passed through 9 levels, I think that the game is well balanced on insane. Tough enough to push you for using all weapons.

Katana is the best weapon I've ever used in a first person shooter. Powers are good, good idea to enrage enemies if you use it. I don't think weapons are too weak, game is focus on melee combat, you've to use weapons for different monsters and they do their job quite well.

Arena combat are great crafted, Flying Wild Hoh know how to build an FPS.

I hope this game is selling well, because is the craziest funniest game of all time. I really tide on it, I can't play any other game. I don't think is the most polished game, ofc, but the funniest yes.

PS: at default katana is set on normal, turn directly on advanced, so you never feel the aim assist.

KKRT00

I don't think weapons are too weak, game is focus on melee combat, you've to use weapons for different monsters and they do their job quite well.
Actually, it isnt :)

Get back to me with weapon balance after You finish the game :)

---
Damn i would gladly playthrough this game again on Heroic if You i could skip those stupid bosses and chargers sub-bosses ;\ Its like additional 6h that is not fun.

KKRT00

I read carefully your accurate review and I'm little worried. :D Which chapters do you think are unbalanced?

Chapters are not unbalanced, just some have totally ridiculous encounters and weapons arent as good as they should be. For example Uzi is totally useless, flamethrower without grenades too, rocket launcher has decent damage, but is clunky. Even when flamethrower grenades are good and rocket launcher helps, You cant use them, because You need all their ammo for sub-bosses like Chargers or ridiculous amount of Summoners + Bulls.
I cant really talk about crossbow, revolver or shotgun, because i havent upgraded them, so maybe they compensate, but You cant earn enough money for all weapons and You have to have grenades from flamethrower + extender, Uzi on full for bosses and triple barrel on rocket launcher.

Oh and You will love 3rd upgrade for Katana :) Its just pure awesomeness, just very short awesomeness. I think in EX Mode You keep it though, i have to try.

===

Fun and hard fight from Chapter 16 and awesome Youtube compression ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-ndDdMH3jg&feature=youtu.be

I was bummed that I missed the pre-order sword because I waited until the last minute to buy it. But GameFly had it on sale, as well as there being a coupon for an additional 25% off, so I was able to get the Special Edition with the pre-order sword for $30. Not bad.

Oh, and a new 1GB patch is out. Here are the notes:

Shadow Warrior 1.0.6
- Saving is now disabled when player is dying.
- Fixed a rare crash when a level ends.
- Fixed more crashes while saving.
- Fixed a crash when using 'Wing of Crane' skill.
- Changing language in the main menu does not require restarting the game anymore.
- SSAO Ultra mode optimization.
- Fixed checkpoint freezes in 'Heroic mode'.
- Fixed audio in some movies.
- PDW damage slightly increased.

-MD-

Friend gifted me this for my bday a couple days ago and it's amazing, the sword is crazy fun. Really hope this game sells a lot so we get DLC and/or a sequel.

Definitely in my top 5 games for the year.

Haines

Banned
is there a lets play or something of this?

I loved the game when i was younger but dont have the time to buy and play this

Top Bottom