• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Warrior |OT| Who Wants Some More Wang?

KKRT00

Ok, I hope game will get tougher, but shielded enemies are quite good sign that there will be varied encounters, but for now without upgrading anything i have no problem with Insane difficulty.

I'll probably buy good DLCs with very randomized encounters and bigger maps, because i'm enjoying sword combat and movement so much.

Ps. I'm uploading 4m video of my quite encounter from Chapter 3 :)

Video up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eydiz_vPg

One gif as a teaser :)
sw_gif1.gif

scitek

Here's some commands for cleaning up the picture thanks to JonasBeckman over at Guru3D..

pp_dof_enable 1/0 (Depth of field effect.)
pp_blur_enable 1/0 (Background blur effect.)
pp_film_grain_enable 1/0 (Film grain effect.)
pp_glow_enable 1/0 (Bloom effect.)
pp_sharpen_enable 1/0 (Sharpening effect.)
pp_screen_blur_enable 1/0 (Screen blur effect.)
pp_radial_blur_enable 1/0 (Radial blur effect.)
pp_sun_shafts_enable
pp_color_grading_enable
pp_ca_enable

pp_blur_enable is a crime, I don't know why the hell it even exists.

pp_ca_enable I would assume is chromatic aberration? I can't see any difference with it.

These commands are nice, though, because you can still keep things like sunshafts.

Also

You can press Ctrl+Tilde (~) to toggle the in-game console prompt, quite useful for advanced tweaking. :)

EDIT: Or changing the sword appearance to any available option. :D

g_player_sword *

w1_sword = Normal

w1_sword_energetic = Zilla Energy Blade

w1_sword_sw_classic = Classic Sword

w1_sword_hotline_miami = Hotline Katana

w1_sword_SS3_sledgehammer = Serious Sam 3 Sledgehammer

w1_sword_saints_row = Purple "bat"

epmode

Thanks for that. The camera gunk and other stuff was a little annoying last night. Why they'd want to hide some of that texture work for some approximation of a camera lens is beyond me. I mean, isn't the point of an FPS to put you behind someone else's eyes? Camera tricks and imperfections are just distracting.

scitek

Thanks for that. The camera gunk and other stuff was a little annoying last night. Why they'd want to hide some of that texture work for some approximation of a camera lens is beyond me. I mean, isn't the point of an FPS to put you behind someone else's eyes? Camera tricks and imperfections are just distracting.

The blur filter is one I really don't get. It looks like the camera's permanently out of focus with it on.

Here's some commands for cleaning up the picture thanks to JonasBeckman over at Guru3D..

pp_dof_enable 1/0 (Depth of field effect.)
pp_blur_enable 1/0 (Background blur effect.)
pp_film_grain_enable 1/0 (Film grain effect.)
pp_glow_enable 1/0 (Bloom effect.)
pp_sharpen_enable 1/0 (Sharpening effect.)
pp_screen_blur_enable 1/0 (Screen blur effect.)
pp_radial_blur_enable 1/0 (Radial blur effect.)
pp_sun_shafts_enable
pp_color_grading_enable
pp_ca_enable

pp_blur_enable is a crime, I don't know why the hell it even exists.

pp_ca_enable I would assume is chromatic aberration? I can't see any difference with it.

These commands are nice, though, because you can still keep things like sunshafts.

Also

Wow, so the pre-order sword and special edition weapons can be accessed by anyone?

epmode

Is there a way to get those tweaks to save permanently or do you have to type it into the console every time you launch the game?

scitek

Is there a way to get those tweaks to save permanently or do you have to type it into the console every time you launch the game?

Dude on Guru3D said you can make a config.cfg file in your exe folder and bind a button to execute it.

So how exactly do the basic and advanced sword swinging work?

Also, I have 2 10% off coupons for this game if anyone is interested. Just shoot me a PM.

eshwaaz

Up to Chapter 5, and loving it. Environments are more repetitive than I would like, but the action is so satisfying that it really doesn't matter (at least, so far).

I felt like an idiot when I finally realized in Chapter 4 that there are multiple pages of upgrades for each ability. Well, at least heal and rage are fully upgraded, I guess...

Enjoying this much more than ROTT. I appreciate the passion that went into it, but I just did not find it very fun.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Anyone with a NVIDIA SLI config want to try out 0x02400005 with AFR2? May fix the choppiness experienced with the Hard Reset profile that some folks are using.

Please report back with your results!

I'm really enjoying how responsive and intuitive the WASD combos are in this game. Did any other FPS try this or is this a new thing?

epmode

I'm really enjoying how responsive and intuitive the WASD combos are in this game. Did any other FPS try this or is this a new thing?

Unreal Tournament 2k4 had button combos like that. It's not very common, though.

Enjoying this much more than ROTT. I appreciate the passion that went into it, but I just did not find it very fun.

I'm liking this a lot more than ROTT as well. Too many hitscan weapons in that one.

KKRT00

Dark Messiah mostly and Dishonored in some degree.

-----
Damn, game is getting and better, i've just finished Chapter 5,and still dont know if to upgrade my skills :) Its getting harder and longer to kill enemies, but i fear that if upgrade stuff, it will be quite easy again ;\

HKnightz

From the videos that KKRT00 posted, this game manages to make you feel like one of those anime assassin characters where they're dashing around the field slashing people before they can react. Looks fun!

Ashodin

From the videos that KKRT00 posted, this game manages to make you feel like one of those anime assassin characters where they're dashing around the field slashing people before they can react. Looks fun!

DUDE the sword combat is SUPER fun. The dash makes it amazing, because you can get in front of enemies before they react and slash them to bits.

eshwaaz

I love that my two favorite FPSs of the year - Shadow Warrior and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - are "budget" games with little to no marketing or pre-release hype. Both of these titles are clearly about being fun first and foremost, with no gigantic set pieces that you barely get to participate in, no lengthy, elaborate cinematics, no tacked-on multiplayer. I'd love to see this become a trend.

scitek

I made a config file in the game's main folder with the following:

pp_dof_enable "1"
pp_blur_enable "0"
pp_film_grain_enable "0"
pp_glow_enable "1"
pp_sharpen_enable "0"
pp_screen_blur_enable "0"
pp_radial_blur_enable "1"
pp_sun_shafts_enable "1"
pp_color_grading_enable "1"
pp_ca_enable "0"

then named it 1.cfg and added

bind +l "exec 1.cfg"

to the binds.cfg in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Shadow Warrior\profiles\[profilename]

Then you just need to press L whenever you start the game.

epmode

I found that any changes I made in the console were automatically saved in the config.cfg file in <DOCUMENTS>\Shadow Warrior\profiles\<MY PROFILE>. They seem to save after I shut down the program but I'll have to test a little more to be certain.

edit: That binding method is a nice way to be certain, though, so I'll probably use it anyway.

KKRT00

Boss fight in Chapter 6 was terrible, total bullshit and boredom. I had to spend all my money for him and i havent upgraded anything since beginning of the game. I've bought all upgrades for Uzi which was almost half of my money and other half i used for ammo ...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Boss fight in Chapter 6 was terrible, total bullshit and boredom. I had to spend all my money for him and i havent upgraded anything since beginning of the game. I've bought all upgrades for Uzi which was almost half of my money and other half i used for ammo ...

Is that the boss fight were

you shoot the big armour parts and then shoot the crystals ?

KKRT00

I didn't find that too bad as I'm playing on normal but don't worry too much, easily the worst part of the game so far and I'm up to Chapter 12 or so.
I play on insanity and i needed about 250 ammo to uncover one piece be able to shoot at crystal and next 120 when shooting at crystal. I had to do that at least 4 times for every piece.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I play on insanity and i needed about 250 ammo to uncover one piece be able to shoot at crystal and next 120 when shooting at crystal. I had to do that at least 4 times for every piece.

Pistol works much better on him.

scitek

In fairness, you're going out of your way to intentionally make it as hard on yourself as possible.

KKRT00

In fairness, you're going out of your way to intentionally make it as hard on yourself as possible.

Yeah, but only to the playable degree with katana only, for example i have harder encounters now, so i bought some upgrades :)
And I couldnt even touch this boss with katana :p Also i used on him 10k ammo, so if i havent been able to buy it in menu, i would have to spend around 6-7 minutes running around and just collecting it from the ground in this fight.
I would prefer if that fight focused on precision, not bullet spam fest. I can get it that You need two full clips for such a fight, but not 10.

Is there any way to make shurikens not track enemies? I like using them to hit explosive things but they're always veering off and hitting dudes.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Man, this runs like complete ass. Load times are ridiculous. No matter how much tweaking I do, the framerate is never stable. It's constantly jumping between 30 and 60, which is giving me a headache. The graphics are poor. There's so much potential, but everything looks janky in-game. I'm having serious AA issues, which is ruining what could be a beautiful game. The art is fantastic, but it's held back by all the jaggies, glitches, and lack of good options.

I had the game crash after getting my first Ki Crystal. I applied it, then the camera swung below Lo Wang. When I exited the menu, it crashed to desktop. Here's a screenshot I took right before it happened:

My rig:
i5 3570K
Asus P8Z77-V
EVGA GTX 670 4GB
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

My computer isn't anything crazy, but by no means should a game that looks as rough as Shadow Warrior be performing so poorly. I'm not even downsampling it.

EDIT: there are some amazing images in the HD Screenshot thread, but even messing with the console commands doesn't improve it for me. Anyone have any advice? I'm loving the gameplay, so I feel it would be a shame to let the ugliness of it ruin my enjoyment.

scitek

For those with an Nvidia card, if you think the SSAO's a bit much, like I did, the Fable profile works in Inspector. It's much more subtle, and I haven't noticed any performance hit with it set to Quality.

in-game Ultra
sw_2013_09_29_09_12_4air0l.png

Forced through drivers
sw_2013_09_29_09_10_51xopc.png

That in-game shot is hilarious, I've never seen SSAO that exaggerated.

Thinking about grabbing this, do you have control over your sword mount and blade style or is it all random?

scitek

Just beat the game, I'll have a video review of it up later. Wow, the story's all serious business toward the end, huh? I'm moving onto EX Mode.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just had a great session. Played for about an hour and a half with no issues, and no graphical glitches. This game is great. The swordplay gets fantastic once you get some more Ki abilities, especially the 360 spin. So satisfying. Using all of your unlocked powers in a single firefight feels excellent, and I even managed to throw some guns into the mix with nice effects.

So I finish playing a level and go to the main menu afterwards. I get curious about what's in the extras menu. When I open it, my computer restarts. God. Dammit. My game had saved (thankfully), but I had taken some screenshots I was really happy with. I think I'm done until they put out a patch. 2/3 times I've played it have ended with it crashing. I want to enjoy the game, but this is just killing it for me.

I've played through the first section a couple of times now just to test different settings, and I gotta say I'm a little disappointed at how jaggy this game looks. I'm playing at 1080p and my 560 Ti is a bit starved for performance so I fell back on good old inject SMAA, and even on Ultra the difference is very subtle. Not worth the 5-10 FPS loss, and FXAA is just as blurry as usual.

DocSeuss

Woah. One of the best games I've played this year, except when lots of EXPLOSIONS happen, then it turns into a slide-show. The frame-rate could stand to be more stable throughout.

Just... fun sense of humor, great maps that encourage you to really explore, surprisingly avoids being offensive, combat encounters that feel thrilling, a HUGE variety of enemy and weapon types, especially by about Chapter 11 or so... the poor optimization is literally my only complaint.

Game keeps resetting my FOV everytime I launch it. This happening to anyone else?

Yeah, I'm having this issue too. Very problematic.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic game, loved it from beginning to end. Combat is incredibly satisfying with quite a few options as well.

r3n4ud

In chapter 5 and was wondering around looking for secrets, when I spotted two rabbits fucking like, well rabbits ;). I sliced them both at once and one of them
turned into a demon and started attacking me lol. Was a fucker trying to kill him as well.
Crazy stuff!

BPoole

That in-game shot is hilarious, I've never seen SSAO that exaggerated.

Thinking about grabbing this, do you have control over your sword mount and blade style or is it all random?

They have three different styles for sword control. There is casual which is just random, a middle one (forgot then name, but that's the one I'm playing on), and hten advanced, which from what I understand controls like Dark Messiah. ie D+LMB will swing from right to left, W+LMB swings top to bottom, etc.

The middle tier swings randomly if you just press LMB, but it still allows you to have directional control when you use the RMB to do a charged attack.

The swordplay is fun as hell though. If you're into melee focused first person perspective gmaes, this is pretty much a must have.

Top Bottom