• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

.la1n

The game really is fantastic. Only a few small quirks keep it from being perfect but it's still a blast to play. It's really up to you individually if you think 6-8 hours of single player content is worth it. Personally I spent 8 hours + on the campaign and will play through it at least one more time. The game really deserves support so we can see more games like this (much like Alice: Madness Returns.)

confuziz

Banned
.la1n said:
The game really is fantastic. Only a few small quirks keep it from being perfect but it's still a blast to play. It's really up to you individually if you think 6-8 hours of single player content is worth it. Personally I spent 8 hours + on the campaign and will play through it at least one more time. The game really deserves support so we can see more games like this (much like Alice: Madness Returns.)

So you would recommend it to people who love NMH?

9.25 from Game Informer? Wow, that's great. Going to add that one to the OP as it's the first review I've seen from a fairly well known outlet. That score definitely exceeded my expectations.

Shurs

ToyMachine228 said:
9.25 from Game Informer? Wow, that's great. Going to add that one to the OP as it's the first review I've seen from a fairly well known outlet. That score definitely exceeded my expectations.

I bet it gets a 6 from IGN.

Carbonox

Game Informer: 9.25
GamesMaster: 90%

For those of you wondering, GamesMaster is one of the biggest multi-platform mags in Britain so I think it's worth adding.

I'm being reminded of Vanquish in terms of the complaints. Short, lack of content, etc. with the positives being around how the actual game plays. That's fine for me though, like Vanquish I'll play SotD many times through.

It's basically NMH, Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill's bastard love child filled with more dick jokes than anything should contain.

somehow it pulls it off. played the first hour and can't wipe that stupid grin off my face, even though this game is pretty much everything that I usually hate.
Suda has done it again :)

Damn it, seeing the good scores is even more disappointing in a way. I'm sure the game will be fun but lack of extra "stuff" is kicking me in the gut. In today's market, unless you offer a really compelling multiplayer mode, or are a <$30 title, not having tons of content is unforgivable.

whalleywhat said:
So RE4 wouldn't be worth buying if it didn't have New Game+?

RE4 was a 16-20 hour game first time through for most people. On top of that was Mercs. And if you don't think NG+ added to the legacy of that game, you'd be crazy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Speedymanic said:
OK, between that and the Gametrailers preview, I'm thinking of switching my pre-order to the 360 version. This is Unreal Engine, isn't it? The PS3 footage shows a lot of screen tearing that isn't present in the 360 video.

Is there any continuous PS3 footage around (rather than a bunch of random cuts)? I'd like to see a full sequence of PS3 gameplay before deciding.

Net_Wrecker said:
Damn it, seeing the good scores is even more disappointing in a way. I'm sure the game will be fun but lack of extra "stuff" is kicking me in the gut. In today's market, unless you offer a really compelling multiplayer mode, or are a <$30 title, not having tons of content is unforgivable.

I reject this. There's tons of games that pack extra content in, that's just a shitty waste of time. For example; Dead Space 2. The game's campaign is amazing. There's multiplayer and a few unlockables, but both the multiplayer and unlockables were just throwaways. There's no difference to me in how I'm going to enjoy both games. Whether there's any real "bonus" content or not. A lot of games tack on multiplayer for the sake of having it now and I think that's a bad trend. If you're going to do multiplayer, make it a full fledged feature not something tacked on for the sake of saying you have it.

Nooooo!

I just now realized that this comes out this week! I don't have the extra cash for it either, now! Well, enjoy it all of you who pick it up.

ToyMachine228 said:
I reject this. There's tons of games that pack extra content in, that's just a shitty waste of time. For example; Dead Space 2. The game's campaign is amazing. There's multiplayer and a few unlockables, but both the multiplayer and unlockables were just throwaways. There's no difference to me in how I'm going to enjoy both games. Whether there's any real "bonus" content or not. A lot of games tack on multiplayer for the sake of having it now and I think that's a bad trend. If you're going to do multiplayer, make it a full fledged feature not something tacked on for the sake of saying you have it.

Hence why I said either a REALLY COMPELLING mutiplayer mode, OR lots of content if they decide to keep it singleplayer. But to have it be a 6-10 hour experience with minimal replay value while STILL CHARGING $60 is part of the reason why stuff like Call of Duty has the industry in a stranglehold.

Would you, as a consumer, be more willing to spend $60 on a great 6-10 hour game with not that much after it's done, or a "good but not as unique" 100+ hour experience with CoD? Now drop that same great 6-10 hour experience to $40, and ask the question again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm debating buying this or Alice soon despite knowing a sale will happen soon just because there isn't SHIT to play this Summer(for me, at least.)

LOL

Review mentions there are tons of upgrades, and just wanted a new game + to allow maxing.

Seriously, how cheap would that have been to add? No new content just keep prior upgrades.

Or keep some super crazy weapon for new game + like mr toots or a light saber.

Curufinwe

It's weird that it (and Vanquish) has no New Game+ stuff, but I plan of playing Damned on Normal then on Hard so I'm sure I'll get 20 hours of it. Most of the time when people say a game is 6-8 hours long it'll take me 10 hours to finish.

Shurs

Curufinwe said:
It's weird that it (and Vanquish) has no New Game+ stuff, but I plan of playing Damned on Normal then on Hard so I'm sure I'll get 20 hours of it. Most of the time when people say a game is 6-8 hours long it'll take me 10 hours to finish.

Same here.

Though, with the backlog I have accumulated over the past few years, I never replay games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can only get it for the PS3, so I'm stuck either way. I played through Bayonetta PS3 though, so I'm toughened up.

The only worry I have is missing godrays. I've seen them in Xbox 360 footage, but no PS3 footage, and Bulletstorm suffered a similar fate. I love godrays :(.

Shurs

EatChildren said:
I can only get it for the PS3, so I'm stuck either way. I played through Bayonetta PS3 though, so I'm toughened up.

The only worry I have is missing godrays. I've seen them in Xbox 360 footage, but no PS3 footage, and Bulletstorm suffered a similar fate. I love godrays :(.

Earlier in the year, there was some PS3 footage shown of the game, so at least we know they're not completely hiding it.

ArjanN

Net_Wrecker said:

I don't really like this mentality. Quality is always my main priority, but I guess if you're on a limited budget it makes sense.

And New Game + usually doesn't add much for me. RE4's mercenary mode is a completely different mode, but most of the time having an overlevelled character/weapon only makes the game less fun to me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shurs said:
Earlier in the year, there was some PS3 footage shown of the game, so at least we know they're not completely hiding it.

Oh I've seen quite a bit of PS3 footage. I think most of the demo footage shown has been from the PS3 actually. But in none of it I've seen the godrays.

Such is gaming I suppose. If only they had released a PC version, like I thought they would.

daviyoung

Banned
I will buy this game and I will love it. Don't care about replayability or achievements. I'm glad there are people out there still making games for the sake of making games.

This'll be one for the collection. Like Child of Eden.

ArjanN said:
I don't really like this mentality. Quality is always my main priority, but I guess if you're on a limited budget it makes sense.

And New Game + usually doesn't add much for me. RE4's mercenary mode is a completely different mode, but most of the time having an overlevelled character/weapon only makes the game less fun to me.

I'm ALL for quality being the top concern. But even the most technologically advanced, most polished game ever has to be priced right if it's 5 hours long with minimal post-game content, or it's still not worth $60. How is wanting the most bang for my buck a bad thing, especially when a LOT of singleplayer titles (one of which a high profile member of the dev team was directly involved with) have shown what's possible?

Like I said, I'm sure it'll be a good game in the end, but I can't help being disappointed, and can't NOT say something. The pricing of disc based games, and the apparent fear of publishers to price accordingly is a joke.

And maybe NG+ does nothing for you, but I'm pretty sure you're in the minority on that one. Read any RE4, RE5, Bayonetta, Castlevania: LOS, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Chrono Trigger, etc. etc. threads, and you'll see how much it adds to the game for most people. Having upgrade paths without NG+ is a pretty weird decision.

frequency

Acquiescence said:
Is this game funny? I wanna play something funny. I was hoping Duke Nukem Forever would tickle my funny bone. It didn't.
It seems to have a lot of phallic humour and B-movie cheese. I guess it depends on how you feel about that.

Margalis

Banned
I'd rather play a average-length good game that I can replay just because it's fun and has good mechanics than a long game with a new game+ that I'll never want to play again or even finish the first time.

I played through Resident Evil 4 twice but not using New Game+, I just played it then later played it again.

Jerk

Banned
Margalis said:
I'd rather play a average-length good game that I can replay just because it's fun and has good mechanics than a long game with a new game+ that I'll never want to play again or even finish the first time.

I played through Resident Evil 4 twice but not using New Game+, I just played it then later played it again.

Same here.

It always bewilders me when people flat out refuse to play certain games because they do not have NG+.

Interview from Gamasutra with Game Director... Massimo Guarini?
I thought it was Suda :O

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6410/shadows_of_the_damned_and_the_.php

Reassuming:
- The company expanded from a workforce of 70 to 140;
- Suda's role is of the executive director of most of the projects, and he's also president of the company;
- Their background is one of like 35 to 40 years old people and having a huge background of movies and cinema, they like to mix it;
- There were some problems on the project from production point of view and they had basically to redo the whole game from scratch;
- The actual production time - in terms of pure game design - was about one year and a half;
- 40 people was the peak of people working at the game, with the lowest 20;
- They had to find specialized level designers from the U.S. because Unreal Engine is not widely used in Japan.

K' Dash

I'm disappointed to know about the lack of new game +, I like to play again like an overpowered bastard, I played RE4 like that 20 times...

Anyway, after I finish, gonna trade for F3AR.

theDeeDubs

These gameplay videos look fun as hell. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but some form of new game+ would have been nice. It's not a deal breaker, but something about it adds so much enjoyment for me. I try to 1k most games so I usually get a lot more time out of a game than the time estimates that are always given. This would've been a no-brainer if Amazon had a $10-15 credit. Due to Dungeon Siege III the same week, I'll probably wait for my $45 sweet spot.

zoner said:
I'm debating buying this or Alice soon despite knowing a sale will happen soon just because there isn't SHIT to play this Summer(for me, at least.)

Alice is going to be $35 at K-mart next week. I'll be getting it then.

.la1n

I have both a 360 copy / PS3 copy - the differences are minor, one of the better UE3 cross platform ports.

Net_Wrecker said:

RE4 was a 16-20 hour game first time through for most people. On top of that was Mercs. And if you don't think NG+ added to the legacy of that game, you'd be crazy.

I don't play multiplayer so the single player only focus is fine to me. I also have a huge backlog that makes replayability a non-issue.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
.la1n said:
I have both a 360 copy / PS3 copy - the differences are minor, one of the better UE3 cross platform ports.
I've been looking at videos for both, and the 360 version just looks smoother to me. There is additional motion blur in use that I haven't seen on PS3 and there seems to be more screen tearing as well.

I just went ahead with the 360 version just in case. With UE3, it's always the safest bet. It's just the collector in me that wants a PS3 copy as 360 game cases feel so flimsy and cheap these days.

.la1n said:
Minor, but they do exist right? Can you sum those up please?
I prefer playing on PS3 but if the 360 version is slightly better graphics wise I'd bite the bullet and go with that one.

Net_Wrecker said:
And maybe NG+ does nothing for you, but I'm pretty sure you're in the minority on that one. Read any RE4, RE5, Bayonetta, Castlevania: LOS, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Chrono Trigger, etc. etc. threads, and you'll see how much it adds to the game for most people. Having upgrade paths without NG+ is a pretty weird decision.

as someone who'll be getting it tomorrow, this: whether you like/use it or not (& i don't most of the time), ng+ should be a no-brainer. not every game need be multiplayer, but there really is no good reason for not including ng+ in almost any game...

"nothing short of a revelation" according to that game master review

would like to know the details

it doesnt look too special from videos so far - I dont see the imaginative variety of environments that alice madness returns has for example.

Top Bottom