• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Ive played this a bit more and the boss fights are crazy lol

I do like the chapter loading screens as it shows your progress which is neat.

However one thing that kinda annoys me is when you reload the camera zooms in like when it zooms in as your aiming and shooting.

I'm not really putting much stock into reviews these days when game journalists call stuff like Risen 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution too complicated and clunky.

But their lolintegrity aside, suda51's games are ones that I don't need to read an opinion about. The gameplay can be poop, the gameplay can be good. I don't care, just give me a copy and take my money!!

And I have to say again Akira yamaoka has a winner with this soundtrack. I hope for more collaborations with him and suda.

And I hope he does some stuff with mikami too.

edit: I hate to say this but maybe leaving Silent Hill was a good move on his part. 2's one of my favorite games of all time but the series is going down and this gives the composer the opportunity to work on different ventures.

Curufinwe

I just pre-ordered the 360 version from Amazon. But I signed up for the Amazon Visa and got a $40 gift card deposited in my account right away so it only cost me $16.99.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Discotheque said:
I'm not really putting much stock into reviews these days when game journalists call stuff like Risen 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution too complicated and clunky.

But their lolintegrity aside, suda51's games are ones that I don't need to read an opinion about. The gameplay can be poop, the gameplay can be good. I don't care, just give me a copy and take my money!!

And I have to say again Akira yamaoka has a winner with this soundtrack. I hope for more collaborations with him and suda.

And I hope he does some stuff with mikami too.

edit: I hate to say this but maybe leaving Silent Hill was a good move on his part. 2's one of my favorite games of all time but the series is going down and this gives the composer the opportunity to work on different ventures.
Considering he works at Grasshopper now, I'd say that is likely.

todahawk

Damn, I'm wavering on day 1, the lack of re-playability or alt. modes (so far) is concerning. Hard to justify when it's likely gonna drop in price quickly.

greenjerk said:
Damn, I'm wavering on day 1, the lack of re-playability or alt. modes (so far) is concerning. Hard to justify when it's likely gonna drop in price quickly.

Yeah, I'm in the same camp. Just a 6-8 hour campaign is probably reason enough for me to wait til it drops.

you know shit is fucked when achievement hunting is all a game can offer in replayability.

honestly i think a rental will suit me just fine. what a shame.

InternHertz said:
It seems the difficulty achievements/trophies don't stack, so at least you'll have to play to game thrice to get everything.
If true that's fucking pathetic, I hate when developers do that. Why would I want to play the game on easy when I already beat it on hard?

dochuge

WickedLaharl said:
you know shit is fucked when achievement hunting is all a game can offer in replayability.

Yeah bummed out about the length, the linearity (which I had a sneaking suspicion of), and zero replayability. BUT I'm still buying the game, everthing else looks really really good. I usually take my sweet time playing games anyways. For me it will probably take about 10 hours or so. I leave nothing unexplored.

WickedLaharl said:

I couldn't agree more. No difficulty achievement stacking, no new game +, I mean seriously? What the fuck? Pre-order canceled.

dochuge said:
Yeah bummed out about the length

I don't get why people are constantly disappointed in the length of action games and shooters. 7-9 hours is basically the standard these days. Action games have taken on a certain model. Pack fantastic content into a 7-9 hour campaign. Don't stretch it out and water it down for length's sake. To be honest, unless it's an RPG, I start to get bored with longer games these days. Give me a really great short to medium length campaign and I'll play it over and over and over. Give me one long, pretty decent one, and I'll play it once and never look back.

I have my Kmart coupon ready to go. Really looking forward to this one. I'm a big fan of Suda and Mikami, and with Mikami overseeing Suda's shortcomings in gameplay this should be something special.

There's a Shadows of the Damned segment in Major Nelson's new podcast that just came out today. Major Nelson does an interview with the game's Executive Producer. Listening now.

Teknoman

WickedLaharl said:

Umm isnt that all Vanquish and Bayonetta (to a certain extent) offer? Replaying on harder difficulties, pushing yourself while experiencing the game all over again? RE4 is sorta the same too. Different costumes and some extra cheap weapons sure, but if the game is fun to play the first time, it should be even better on a harder difficulty the second time around.

Contra and Metal Slug also fall into this...and about that CAG review, while pretty informative...since when is RE4 an open world? Some of the environments are more open than others, but its not like the game plays different the second or third time through.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teknoman said:
Umm isnt that all Vanquish and Bayonetta (to a certain extent) offer? Replaying on harder difficulties, pushing yourself while experiencing the game all over again? RE4 is sorta the same too. Different costumes and some extra cheap weapons sure, but if the game is fun to play the first time, it should be even better on a harder difficulty the second time around.

Bayonetta had a ton of stuff to do with Infinite Climax(which can completely change the way you play), the hard as hell secret boss, and the way the game worked meant you always kept your same progress, like a constant new game+. After I beat it once I could immediately go up to the next difficulty level with all of the levels available to play and all of my weapons with me. I didn't play Vanquish yet but I heard it was really disappointing on unlocking/replaying.

RE4 is the absolute king in this area though. New game+ with all of the upgradable weapons, being able to unlock an Infinite Rocket Launcher, Handcannon, and the Chicago Typewriter to blast through the game again, along with unlocking Mercenaries, which is now a game in itself.

Shadows of the Damned seemingly having no New Game+ despite seeming to follow an RE4-esque path is extremely disappointing.

Teknoman

Papercuts said:
Bayonetta had a ton of stuff to do with Infinite Climax(which can completely change the way you play), the hard as hell secret boss, and the way the game worked meant you always kept your same progress, like a constant new game+. After I beat it once I could immediately go up to the next difficulty level with all of the levels available to play and all of my weapons with me. I didn't play Vanquish yet but I heard it was really disappointing on unlocking/replaying.

RE4 is the absolute king in this area though. New game+ with all of the upgradable weapons, being able to unlock an Infinite Rocket Launcher, Handcannon, and the Chicago Typewriter to blast through the game again, along with unlocking Mercenaries, which is now a game in itself.

Shadows of the Damned seemingly having no New Game+ despite seeming to follow an RE4-esque path is extremely disappointing.

Time out, Bayonetta has a secret boss? :p Just beat the game on normal the other day, so I had no idea. But as far as what I mean about RE4 not really changing up this is that it's still pretty much the same game after you beat it, albeit with better weapons/costumes, but it doesnt hurt its replay value. Carrying over weapon upgrades for harder difficulties couldnt hurt though...and maybe that can be patched in?

Vanquish doesnt have much in the way of carrying things over, but its so insanely fun to play, its not that much of a bother. That and its really easy to upgrade weapons.

EDIT: Looking at the video, the HUD is kinda big. And Chris is really really creepy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teknoman said:
Time out, Bayonetta has a secret boss? :p Just beat the game on normal the other day, so I had no idea. But as far as what I mean about RE4 not really changing up this is that it's still pretty much the same game after you beat it, albeit with better weapons/costumes, but it doesnt hurt its replay value. Carrying over weapon upgrades for harder difficulties couldnt hurt though...and maybe that can be patched in?

Vanquish doesnt have much in the way of carrying things over, but its so insanely fun to play, its not that much of a bother. That and its really easy to upgrade weapons.

EDIT: Looking at the video, the HUD is kinda big.

RE4 hit some crazy spot with me there made me really want to replay it multiple times, doing an all knife run, RPG run for laughs, stuff like that. So while the game doesn't 'change', it carries over your buffed health and powered up weapons and lets you just completely break it, which I love. It also helped that RE4 was already a really meaty ~18-20 hours when I first went through it.

Owzers

Decado said:
Sounds like this one will have a huge price cut soon after it's release.

i might just buy it when it hits $30 instead of renting it, i still want to support the developers. Shouldn't take that long....

eh with the advent of services like gamefly i just don't see any reason to drop $60 on games with little replay value and can finish in a few sittings.

hate me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can only assume people are comparing Shadows to Resident Evil 4 because of Mikami, because really, RE4 is the king of all game replay value. The campaign alone is a rich ~16 hour affair, and once you're done with that you unlock Mercenaries, Assignment Ada and Seperate Ways. Those three extras will chew up hours upon hours of additional game time. Then, because you wont have been able to upgrade or unlock everything in a single playthrough, you can chew threw the campaign with new guns and costumes.

Fact of the matter is that for a game of its type nothing compares to Resident Evil 4 in terms of value for money. Its an action/horror third person shooter with arguably ~50 hours worth of enjoyment, more if you really love the game. Its insane. The only game that has come close since is Bayonetta.

Vanquish really, really needed more content and could have made great use of Resident Evil 4 style unlocks and extras, but that didn't stop it being some of the most fun I had last year. Shadows of the Damned will be short, and probably lacking replay value, but so was Killer 7, and so is No More Heroes.

The value of this games is hinged on pure fun factor; the adventure from start to finish. Obviously some people will be disappointed at the lack of replay value and thus not wish to pay full price, but thats the beauty of having the option to wait.

Shadows of the Damned being short wont be too much of a problem unless you paid through your teeth at launch and are a stickler for replay value. A far worse problem would be the game being flat out boring.

frequency

My personal "problem" with short games with high replayability is that subsequent playthroughs never have the same impact as seeing something for the first time. People talk about how they would rather have short and replayable than long and repetitive, but isn't replaying a level/area the very definition of repetition? I mean... you're literally repeating a level/area. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what people mean by "repetitive"?

Maybe it's because I was almost exclusively an RPG gamer before this generation of consoles, but if I can finish a game in a few sittings I usually feel a bit of buyer's remorse. I very rarely replay games. And when I do it's always after an extended period of time away from it.

But anyway... sounds like this doesn't even have replayability so...

Anteater

frequency said:
My personal "problem" with short games with high replayability is that subsequent playthroughs never have the same impact as seeing something for the first time. People talk about how they would rather have short and replayable than long and repetitive, but isn't replaying a level/area the very definition of repetition? I mean... you're literally repeating a level/area. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what people mean by "repetitive"?

Depends on the game, some games are different the second playthrough on a different difficulty, and since you're more familiar with the game and controls, the pacing is a lot different and sometimes better, Bayonetta is a good example, different enemy placements, more accessories, more weapons, my second/third playthrough is a lot better than the first, the experience is different on different playthroughs.

Repetition usually comes from the lack of any sort of progression and variety with the combat/AI/map, and not the objective. You could design a game revolving around killing a bunch of enemies, but if it's designed right, you should have plenty of stuff to "play" with.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Wow, I was expecting those exact qualities from RE4 in this game: replay value and decent length. No Day 1 for me I guess... I was so hyped for this one too.

Nemesis_

Tremis said:
Wow, I was expecting those exact qualities from RE4 in this game: replay value and decent length. No Day 1 for me I guess... I was so hyped for this one too.

To be fair, it wasn't developed by Capcom Production Studio and it was largely made by Grasshopper Manufacture Inc. who I would expect didn't have as big a budget for this as they did RE4. =/

I wasn't expecting much to be honest.

Playr (UK game show) gave this 8/10, they were impressed with presentation, gameplay, etc but echoed complaints about the lack of replay value.

I don't get why everyone is bitching, this is Suda so you should have come to expect this. You get the clunky design decisions, the wild and crazy ride of a story, and then exit the vehicle to your left. Mikami being creative producer is somewhat nebulous in what he actually did on the game. For all we know he could have just been looking at concepts for monsters and giving thumbs up or down and not necessarily involved with the decisions of making extra content or modes. Also this is Grasshopper, I doubt they have the extra time and budget to make additional content.

Anyway I can't wait to play this game. It's going to bomb at retail something terrible. Now Suda can concentrate on NMH3.

Chuck

Still without luck
Phil Kollar of Game Informer reviewed the game. He liked it a lot. 9.25/10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/shadows_of_the_damned/b/xbox360/archive/2011/06/20/this-goofy-thrill-ride-to-the-depths-of-hell-plays-like-heaven.aspx

Shadows of the Damned is unapologetically adolescent, but instead of trying to be cutely ironic and wink at players, the humor comes off as genuine, playful, and fun. Even if you don’t find the idea of a sniper rifle called “the Big Boner” funny, you should still enjoy the solidly designed shooting and bit of thought required to play the game. Grasshopper has finally come into its own, and I hope it carries this momentum (and Mikami) forward to whatever project is next.

Top Bottom