• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Was on the fence about getting this day 1, but now that I've seen some positive reviews I've gone ahead and just preordered it. Luckily Amazon is still offering release date delivery. I'll try and post some impressions after I've put in some time with the game.

Yuterald

As soon as I wake up tomorrow I am going to blast off on my rocket ship to pick up my reserve. Because I will have ditched my rocket in an awesome, bad ass explosion, I'll be doing back flips and cartwheels all the way home.

BentMyWookiee said:
Was on the fence about getting this day 1, but now that I've seen some positive reviews I've gone ahead and just preordered it. Luckily Amazon is still offering release date delivery. I'll try and post some impressions after I've put in some time with the game.

is there an embargo review date though? if there is expect the bad reviews afterwards, like DA2

so far reviews are higher than I expected, game informer in particular. really interested in seeing what eurogamer gives it as I usually trust their reviews

Wizpig

I remember all the whiners (not gamers, mainly stupid reviewers) for the "three hours" of Vanquish, but if you add the trials and the replayability it's something like 20 hours+.

So I'm okay with this game being 10 hours or so.

One thing I have to say though is that i never gave much credit to "New Game+", but thinking back to Resident Evil 4 i had so much fun, and it's a pity that this game doesn't have it.

Still, like or hate, you get Achievements if you want to play the game 2 or more times, i guess.

About the scores: those are great, but GameInformer is still a shitty magazine.

Doomrider

Speedymanic said:

Gotta love Cam Clarke.

Can't wait to see just how scary the game really is. Other than that, the lack of New Game + is kinda disappointing, but if it really does plays like a smoother RE4 and has great pacing, I can see myself replaying this lots of times.

For those who have played it: can you disable the huge button prompts? I could do without those...

cleveridea said:
is there an embargo review date though? if there is expect the bad reviews afterwards, like DA2

so far reviews are higher than I expected, game informer in particular. really interested in seeing what eurogamer gives it as I usually trust their reviews
Honestly, while I thought the game looked fun from the videos that I've seen, I had some low expectations after I realized that the game was actually releasing now (I thought this was a 2012 release for some reason). So the fact that it's gotten a few good reviews is enough for me to justify spending the money on the game.

Kambing

I really want to get this day one but i can't help but feel that it will enter BOMBA status pretty fast. Soooo confused meng.

Kambing said:
I really want to get this day one but i can't help but feel that it will enter BOMBA status pretty fast. Soooo confused meng.

yeah price deals been crazy, like the toys r us deal 2 for $50 including LA Noire and Fear 3.

Kambing said:
To help make your decision harder easier you can get the soundtrack if you preorder.

Man, all of the positive buzz this is getting makes me feel awful. I've been day one on every suda game after killer7, and I can't believe I let this slip under my radar so much. I tried to keep my distance since I spoiled myself too much with info on nmh1/2, but I regret not following it now!

YOU GUYS HAD BETTER APPRECIATE THIS GAME.

Kambing

To help make your decision harder easier you can get the soundtrack if you preorder.

Man, all of the positive buzz this is getting makes me feel awful. I've been day one on every suda game after killer7, and I can't believe I let this slip under my radar so much. I tried to keep my distance since I spoiled myself too much with info on nmh1/2, but I regret not following it now!

YOU GUYS HAD BETTER APPRECIATE THIS GAME.

Oh... I did not realize that you get the soundtrack free if you pre-order. Damn you man! I am more torn now. The soundtrack sounds so good >.<

yeah price deals been crazy, like the toys r us deal 2 for $50 including LA Noire and Fear 3.

Tell me about it. I thought i got a deal buying LA Noire with 20 dollars credit from amazon, but now, i just feel robbed.

By the way, how do you quote to include the users name? My account was approved today and i can't seem to figure it out.

EDIT: Never mind, i figured it out =D

Alessandro said:
Interview from Gamasutra with Game Director... Massimo Guarini?
I thought it was Suda :O

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6410/shadows_of_the_damned_and_the_.php

Reassuming:
- The company expanded from a workforce of 70 to 140;
- Suda's role is of the executive director of most of the projects, and he's also president of the company;
- Their background is one of like 35 to 40 years old people and having a huge background of movies and cinema, they like to mix it;
- There were some problems on the project from production point of view and they had basically to redo the whole game from scratch;
- The actual production time - in terms of pure game design - was about one year and a half;
- 40 people was the peak of people working at the game, with the lowest 20;
- They had to find specialized level designers from the U.S. because Unreal Engine is not widely used in Japan.

Someone see what the game's credits say if/when you get it?

Ridley327

Blast Processing said:
We've known that Suda is in more of a producer role on this title since it was announced. He is writing the script, though.

Blast Processing said:

Suda 51 is credited as Executive Director.
Shinji Mikami is credited as Creative Producer.

This does not stop other people from being credited as other things such as Director and Producer.

Jay Sosa

Can't wait..

This game has none of this move/kinect bs right?

I was a bit pissed when I couldn't play the NMH2 demo because my friend has no move controller

Just hope this is more Killer 7 than Resident Evil 4, trailer look interesting.

Special J

Banned
Jay Sosa said:

ya its like RE4, exploding barrels and third person precision aiming @ weakspots. with the obvious current gen control improvements like right analog turn and moving while aiming.

ToyMachine228 said:
Suda 51 is credited as Executive Director.
Shinji Mikami is credited as Creative Producer.

This does not stop other people from being credited as other things such as Director and Producer.

I see. So this Guarini is credited as Director, I take it?

Dascu

Jay Sosa said:
I was a bit pissed when I couldn't play the NMH2 demo because my friend has no move controller
...What? I assume you're talking about the NMH PS3 port. In which case you can play it with a dualshock. Move controls are optional.

Hmm, nope.

Curufinwe

JohngPR said:
The launch trailer for Shadows of the Damned already had Game Informer's 9.25 score in the trailer.

Hmmmm....

GI probably got the game early so they could have the review ready for the magazine, and Phil Kollar has always been a fair guy going back to his 1UP FM days.

Blast Processing said:
I see. So this Guarini is credited as Director, I take it?

Yes, he is the actual director of the game, I didn't play any of his other games he worked on, but I'm sure he's already a better director than Suda51.

Montresor

Gosh this generation of gaming has been unparalleled. I'm so excited about Shadows of the Damned tomorrow! I love Mikami goodness, and I welcome it being mixed it in with Suda's craziness. Bayonetta is one of my favourite games in this gen, and I love almost all of Kamiya and Mikami's big games (God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, RE4, Bayonetta, and now hopefully Shadows of the Damned).

Also, when I'm done with Shadows I'll probably load up Vanquish and play that for the first time too. I'm so excited!

codhand said:
Off Topic, what games besides RE and Bayonetta have New Game + ?

RE5, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Chrono Trigger, Ratchet & Clank series, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, lots of RPGs., Prototype, Demon Souls, DMC4, Borderlands, MGS4, etc. etc. etc. Just throwing some random ones out there. Not nearly enough though.

.la1n

I am fairly certain this game will hit bargain prices fairly soon but i'm sure voting with the dollar would be beneficial in seeing more games like this (and trust me, you want more games like this.)

Otherwise stop complaining about Modern Warfare [insert number here]

Yuterald

I'm surprised there isn't a Chapter/Act select where your upgrades would carry over/apply. Sucks there isn't a new game+, but I would have at least expected some sort of chapter selection screen.

Teknoman

Yuterald said:
As soon as I wake up tomorrow I am going to blast off on my rocket ship to pick up my reserve. Because I will have ditched my rocket in an awesome, bad ass explosion, I'll be doing back flips and cartwheels all the way home.

idbIlW.gif

Curufinwe said:
GI probably got the game early so they could have the review ready for the magazine, and Phil Kollar has always been a fair guy going back to his 1UP FM days.

Bingo! Thanks for the kind words also. I'm looking forward to other people getting the game and seeing what they think. Also looking forward to playing more of it myself, which isn't something I can say for many games after I review them.

Just a quick reminder, if you want a free soundtrack pre-order the game at GameStop.

Also, K-Mart is offering a $15 gaming coupon with the purchase of the game this week.

So if you're looking for a deal, or looking for some goodies, those are your two options. Haven't seen any other deals or promos yet.

Atolm

This game has "bomba" written all over it, sadly...

Reviews seem pretty solid, tbh I didn't know the game till a few days ago, will keep a close eye over this thread to see what Gaf users say about the game.

Despera

Banned
Dammit! why is the merchant immune to bullets!?

In all seriousness though, anyone looking for some sort of challenge should start this game on Hard. Normal is like a walk in the park.

Also, for those buying the 360 ver., make sure to install the game since it improves performance significantly.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Got it on Amazon. Xbox version ships tomorrow, is $55, and comes with the sound track. Hell. Yea.

derFeef

Man, I want this, but I really want to know if I can play this in english with the german uncut version (360). Someone knows where I can get that information?

Top Bottom