• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The theme is soooooooooo gooooooooooooooood.

I've already got my pre-order in so now its a matter of waiting.

Holy shit I'm listening to the soundtrack again. I thought Deus Ex would be the best one this year but Yamaoka really brought the ruckus here.

I swear this is my dream game right now. All the pieces are falling into place so surely. I love you Suda.

dochuge

I'm telling you guys I am PUMPED for this game. The great gameplay of RE4 and the crazy shit of Killer 7/No More Heroes. Hoping it opens up a bit and there are places that are explorable. It looks pretty linear so far from all the youtube videos I've watched. Still loving the look of the environments and some of the enemy designs are insane.

Doc

Furio53

~Kinggi~ said:
I wonder how long this game is. There havent been many details released for this title.

there have been some people saying they were 7-8 hrs in and halfway through, maybe 60%. So maybe 12-15 hrs?

~Kinggi~

Banned
cpp_is_king said:
Uhh, 12 hours is pretty damn short in my book. 17-20 hours is "good", and 25+ is long.
Huh? Last 4 years games have been of the average length of about 8 hours. Most games these days are 6-8 hours. Any game over 12 are usually rpg's or something.

~Kinggi~ said:
Huh? Last 4 years games have been of the average length of about 8 hours. Most games these days are 6-8 hours. Any game over 12 are usually rpg's or something.

idk, seems to me like every time an 8-hour game comes out people flip out and rage about how they got ripped off. Last few games I played were L.A. Noire, Vanquish, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, all more than 15 hours of single player content, some 40+ if you do everything and go for achievements. Fucking A even Mortal Kombat was 20+ hours of single player content just to complete story mode / challenge tower.

~Kinggi~

Banned
cpp_is_king said:
idk, seems to me like every time an 8-hour game comes out people flip out and rage about how they got ripped off. Last few games I played were L.A. Noire, Vanquish, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, all more than 15 hours of single player content, some 40+ if you do everything and go for achievements. Fucking A even Mortal Kombat was 20+ hours of single player content just to complete story mode / challenge tower.
Castlevania is the only game out of that list that was abnormally long for its game type. Uncharted and GOW 3 i beat in about 8 hours and Vanquish can be beaten in 5 hours. LA Noire is an open world game like GTA so i think there is an expectation it is longer.

This game is more along the action theme so if it is actually 12-15 then that is definitely a long game by todays standards.

Kusagari

cpp_is_king said:

Vanquish taking over 15 hours? WUT? You can beat it in under 5.

cpp_is_king said:
Castlevania is much longer than that; I'd argue far longer than it needed to be or should have been.

randomwab said:
Got hold of the pre-order soundtrack, thought I'd upload the theme 'cause it's so good. Yamaoka doing his usual fine work.

Theme of Shadows of the Damned

I'll try and upload the rest later.

Where did you order it from? I noticed Amazon had Release Date Shipping set up and the soundtrack download, but it said the code would be sent out after my copy shipped D: I really need this on my phone come Monday!

X26 said:
Hell even 3hrs is enough, although it had a ton of replayability

Because you looked at the screen at the end of the game and it said 3 hours even though it didn't factor in the hundreds of times you died?

If you played it on the hardest difficulty level, there is just no way in hell it was anywhere close to 3 hours.

Maybe all these numbers are "race to the credits screen" numbers, that's not a fair way to measure gameplay time IMO.

cpp_is_king said:
Because you looked at the screen at the end of the game and it said 3 hours even though it didn't factor in the hundreds of times you died?

If you played it on the hardest difficulty level, there is just no way in hell it was anywhere close to 3 hours.

Yeah I don't really get why people never factor in that they die plenty of times. It's actually a real pet peeve of mine. Take the original Ninja Gaiden for example: NO ONE beats that game in 5 hours without dying for a couple of hours worth of gameplay (or even more).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
cpp_is_king said:
Unless you count replays, Uncharted 2 and more so Vanquish don't even come near.

Nothing is wrong with short titles either. I'd rather have an extremely polished and fun 5 hours than a tedious, dull 20. Good example is Vanquish. Fantastic experience and great for replays.

cpp_is_king said:

Maybe all these numbers are "race to the credits screen" numbers, that's not a fair way to measure gameplay time IMO.

I timed my very first playthrough of Vanquish, on hard difficulty (because I'm awesome), and it was definitely less than 6 hours. Didn't die that much anyway.

Awesome game though.

Edit - I platinum'd UC2 and God of War 3 in less than 20 hours each. And no, I didn't cheat to get max stuff on God 3's Titan difficulty.

Sidzed2

There's an ad for this title running on Eurogamer which suggests it scored 90% in UK games magazine, GamesMaster.

I am intrigued and excited. Shinji Mikami is a deity.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont really care how long the game is. This has been, for a long time now, one of my most anticipated titles of 2011. Way up the top of my most wanted list, only edged out by Portal 2 and maybe coming on par with Skyward Sword.

All I know is that I will be picking up my pre-order that morning and chewing through the game all day. Its gonna be sooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood.

Sidzed2

For all those living in Melbourne, I should point out that a local import store by the name of Dungeon Crawl expects to receive the game tomorrow.

Nemesis_

Sidzed2 said:
For all those living in Melbourne, I should point out that a local import store by the name of Dungeon Crawl expects to receive the game tomorrow.

That's pretty exciting. I wish I lived in Melbourne though. =(

Tguy said:
I really want this game, but I'm kind of worried there's nothing else to do after you beat the campaign besides changing difficulty...

Yeah, Mikami really disappointed with that aspect in Vanquish. Here's hoping Shadows of the Damned features RE4-levels of replay value.

Sidzed2 said:

This makes me happy that I'm coming down to Melbourne for the upcoming weekend. THANK GOD for Shadowloo Showdown!

jgminto

Great soundtrack. Most of it I wouldn't listen to outside the game but It'll suit the setting. But I absolutely love the main theme. I could see myself circulating that in my playlist.

Nemesis_

I think the achievement list contains spoilers, and it's not even "secret" like some games.

SO DON'T LOOK AT IT

The Xtortionist said:
Yeah, Mikami really disappointed with that aspect in Vanquish. Here's hoping Shadows of the Damned features RE4-levels of replay value.

This is one of my biggest concerns. Vanquish, no matter how fun the core game was, was very lacking in content which brought it down from a possible 9-9.5 to a 7.5-8. It's INEXCUSABLE for games (shooters especially) with upgrade systems to not have New Game+, or bonus weapons, or alternate characters/skins, etc. etc. etc. As much as I want to rush out and buy this, I'm definitely waiting for news of length and post game options.

eXistor

Apparently Game Masters UK Magazine scored in 90/100 calling it the Batman Arkham Asylum of 2011. Can't find the actual review though.

eXistor said:
Apparently Game Masters UK Magazine scored in 90/100 calling it the Batman Arkham Asylum of 2011. Can't find the actual review though.

They also reviewed the Black Ops map pack a few months ago and said it was more innovative than Beyond Good & Evil..

I don't this game will have any problems getting some decent reviews regardless.

dreamfall

Is there any 360 footage floating around? I pre-ordered on 360, considering that it uses Unreal. But I may switch it- the Gametrailers preview seemed to be on PS3 (as are most of these videos), and I do like my Dualshock!

Top Bottom