• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

StuBurns

Banned
I'd really love a little clear picture of how the two version are performing, it's strange we don't already given it's out, no LoT or DF comparisons yet, bizarre.

Linkzg said:
I hate to get into this tech stuff more, but I'm just confused about what people are saying, So, is it: PS3 version has no tearing, but has texture pop in; 360 has tearing, but no texture pop in. Or is it that PS3 is the 360 version, tearing and all, but with additional pop in?

If there is decent parity, I might just go for the PS3 version. Kinda wish the EA connection would have meant a PC version, though.

and to be honest, the EA connection makes me think "$40 in a week" like Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, and most recent EA games. That's pretty much why I haven't bought it yet to sit in the backlog (while I play OoT first).
i should really feel bad that i'm playing other games over OoT which I've never played much... but i figure, whats another few days while i finish up Alice and Shadows of the Damned?

soultron

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Is the massive amount of bloom in the background hard on the eyes? All the video's i've seen make the game look so blurry. Is it better when you're playing it? I've mainly only been interested in this game for Akira's OST but people are saying the game is great on here too so now I want to try it out.
It wasn't bad at all. You need to at least rent this game.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Linkzg said:
I hate to get into this tech stuff more, but I'm just confused about what people are saying, So, is it: PS3 version has no tearing, but has texture pop in; 360 has tearing, but no texture pop in. Or is it that PS3 is the 360 version, tearing and all, but with additional pop in?

If there is decent parity, I might just go for the PS3 version. Kinda wish the EA connection would have meant a PC version, though.

and to be honest, the EA connection makes me think "$40 in a week" like Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, and most recent EA games. That's pretty much why I haven't bought it yet to sit in the backlog (while I play OoT first).

I'm on my second playthrough on the 360 version and I haven't noticed any screen tearing. I have noticed pop in though after dying and choosing continue.

eXistor

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I assume he meant it's not trying to hide its gamey-ness like so many modern "cinematic experience" games do. I still don't see why the comparison should be to Trojan and Ghosts and Goblins. There have been a million other gamey games since then.
You guys don't see or feel the similarities? Obviously there's been a lot of games that have similar mechanics and whatnot, but I feel SotD specifically feels like old Capcom games. It might be the blatant references like the map in the loading screens, but there's something about it that feels so much like those games, moreso than other games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
eXistor said:
You guys don't see or feel the similarities? Obviously there's been a lot of games that have similar mechanics and whatnot, but I feel SotD specifically feels like old Capcom games. It might be the blatant references like the map in the loading screens, but there's something about it that feels so much like those games, moreso than other games.

I haven't played it yet so I can't thoroughly comment (though I have watched a lot of footage at this point), but the map being in an old-school style wouldn't be enough to strongly affect the "feel" of the game for me.

eXistor

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I haven't played it yet so I can't thoroughly comment (though I have watched a lot of footage at this point), but the map being in an old-school style wouldn't be enough to strongly affect the "feel" of the game for me.
It's not just that, it's the way the levels are designed. For once being linear isn't a bad thing, it actually helps the game. The game calls itself a "road-movie" and progresses like one (for the most part). In every level you see Fleming's tower looming in the horizon. Every level gets you closer to your destination.

The basic premise for the game is also classic video game-like: girl gets kidnapped, you descend to hell to get her back from the tower she's presumably in. I know all these things have been done a million times, but it's the way they've presented them in SotD that makes it feel...80's (there's even an extended Evil Dead level in there, EDII being arguably thehorror movie of the eighties).

Maybe when you do play it you'll see it. Then again, I've not seen anyone else harping on it like I have, so I might be alone in this.

Bottom line: game is fuck-awesome, buy it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Varshes said:
It does, just tested it out.

Cool! Does that game automatically switch to Japanese (excluding the voice acting, obviously) when like with Platinum's and Capcom's (excluding the original Dead Rising) games? Is there anywhere in the options to change the display language?

Curufinwe

StuBurns said:
The GiantBomb QL is the PS3 version, certainly has notable screentear, but it also looks awesome so I'm buying it anyway.

It's kind of amazing how different their video coverage is to what Gametrailers made the game look like.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
StuBurns said:
It did with Darksiders didn't it? They patched it to lock it at 30 and clear up the tearing?

Yeah. Originally the PS3 version was locked at 30 with little screen tear, while the 360 version could go over 30 but with more screen tearing. They patched the 360 version to bring it to parity with the PS3 version.

But I'm not aware of any other games where such a patch occurred.

Dizzle24

atomsk said:
fuck those fucking electric shits in 5-2

about to ragequit on this goddamn game

A few charged Light Shots (Payload?) will do the trick.

Also, in other news, I managed to get the "Puppeteer" trophy after only 4 attempts lol.
Shoot off leg of demon, and keep firing as it hits the ground as you pray for a headshot before it hits.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
StuBurns said:
I don't understand that post.
He's suggesting that the prevalence of patching on consoles today precludes them from ignoring the various technical issues.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
thetrin said:
He's suggesting that the prevalence of patching on consoles today precludes them from ignoring the various technical issues.

If only that were the case. I don't think you even need a whole hand to count console games that have had their non-bug/glitch performance issues enhanced by post-release patches. Darksiders was already mentioned, and I guess Bayonetta counts.

Are there more examples?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Just got to the Final Act.

A little underwhelmed by the Justine fight... Was expecting some Suda-level of awesomeness, considering she looked straight out of No More Heroes.

Having a blast, though.

StuBurns

Banned
thetrin said:
If that's the case, it's really not a very valid statement at all. It would imply all games that ship with screentear have it patched out, which isn't the case, or even close. Darksiders is literally the only one I know of.

K' Dash

Brazil said:
Just got to the Final Act.

A little underwhelmed by the Justine fight... Was expecting some Suda-level of awesomeness, considering she looked straight out of No More Heroes.

Having a blast, though.

Well, I tought it was fucking awesome, didn't expect that at all.

Yuterald

Finished the game this afternoon on Legion Hunter (PS3 version). It was a decent challenge, there weren't too many parts that were frustratingly hard. WTF at the final boss though. I think it bugged out on me towards the end. I don't feel like describing right now what was happening, but there definitely was something going on with it and it felt buggy as shit.

The game definitely had some screen tearing too. It's kind of hard to notice though, but it's there. It's no where NEAR as bad as the texture pop in, but that's expected with an uninstalled Unreal Engine game, I suppose.

As a Suda/Mikami/GHM fan, I still liked it, a lot actually. With all of its shortcomings, the game was just too bad ass to hate. So much personality packed in, it was a total "I don't give a fuck, fuck everything" experience. I actually REALLY like the combat and enemies in this game. Everything packs a punch and it's got that 'crunchy' combat you'd expect from a good Japanese action game. Mechanically, I prefer this game over Resident Evil 5, easily.

I am still COMPLETELY boned that there isn't a new game+. I honestly cannot understand still why they skimped out on it. That one dude from GHM here said they wanted to balance and focus on making the game a fun experience so they had to leave out some stuff like new game+...but carrying over stuff IS FUN! It's so frustarting. I'd forgive the games performance issues if I could keep replaying the game searching for those Red Gems. Seriously, making you hunt/grind for 80 gems where checkpoints cut you off at every corner is nonsense. It's the exact opposite of fun.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
K' Dash said:
Well, I tought it was fucking awesome, didn't expect that at all.
I probably would've been more impressed if
I hadn't already seen that style of gameplay twice before in the same Act.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
StuBurns said:
If that's the case, it's really not a very valid statement at all. It would imply all games that ship with screentear have it patched out, which isn't the case, or even close. Darksiders is literally the only one I know of.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If only that were the case. I don't think you even need a whole hand to count console games that have had their non-bug/glitch performance issues enhanced by post-release patches. Darksiders was already mentioned, and I guess Bayonetta counts.

Are there more examples?
Hey, don't kill the messenger. I'm just communicating the intent of his post.

K' Dash

Brazil said:
I probably would've been more impressed if
I hadn't already seen that style of gameplay twice before in the same Act.

I didn't expect to fiight her that way, I loved it.

Yuterald said:
I am still COMPLETELY boned that there isn't a new game+. I honestly cannot understand still why they skimped out on it. That one dude from GHM here said they wanted to balance and focus on making the game a fun experience so they had to leave out some stuff like new game+...but carrying over stuff IS FUN! It's so frustarting. I'd forgive the games performance issues if I could keep replaying the game searching for those Red Gems. Seriously, making you hunt/grind for 80 gems where checkpoints cut you off at every corner is nonsense. It's the exact opposite of fun.

I'm with you buddy, I hope they can patch it, I love to do what I call the "revenge round" with the guns maxed out just to see demons explode everywhere.

StuBurns

Banned
thetrin said:
Although I replied to your post, it was still directed at that poster. And it wasn't meant to read as provocative or anything. My apologies.

Nemesis_

Very impressed so far, although trying to collect all the Red Gems is a pain in the ass, since I was meant to get two or three in the chandelier section but only got one. So annoying.

But yeah, besides that little annoyance this is a great and crazy game. Love the interactions between G and Johnson.

Yeah I'm certain that setting the 360 to 720p eliminates the screen tear, I am just waiting for someone else to back me up on it. Stubs 360 version is screentear free if you set your 360 to 720p.

I am sure of it.

jackdoe

plagiarize said:
Yeah I'm certain that setting the 360 to 720p eliminates the screen tear, I am just waiting for someone else to back me up on it. Stubs 360 version is screentear free if you set your 360 to 720p.

I am sure of it.
That makes sense. Resident Evil 5 teared badly on the 360 when it upscaled to 1080p as do other games.

Fjordson

Just listened to the soundtrack on YouTube. Holy fuck. So good. Is it 12 tracks? I think that's all I've found so far on YT.

Copy won't be here until tomorrow. Can't wait to play.

StuBurns

Banned
plagiarize said:

I am sure of it.
Thanks man, I'm not going to get it till I've finished WKC2, but I'll keep that in mind.

Ridley327

Fjordson said:
Just listened to the soundtrack on YouTube. Holy fuck. So good. Is it 12 tracks? I think that's all I've found so far on YT.

Copy won't be here until tomorrow. Can't wait to play.
It's only a sampler; the full soundtrack is coming out in August.

Grisby

plagiarize said:

I am sure of it.

I'm at 720p and haven't seen any screen tearing. I was actually a little baffled because it was brought up and usually I'm sensitive to these things.

thetrin said:

I wouldn't say it 100 percent likely they will patch it but I think the odds favor that they will.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
thetrin said:

Oh I know. I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with you. I was just quoting you because you were the latest entry in that conversation.

Basically, what StuBurns said.

Anyone else having issues using the PSN+ cloud save system with this game? My friend uploaded his save to the cloud about an hour ago and then came over to my place. When he tried to copy it to my HDD, this is the error message that he got:

2h3x8wj.jpg

Solune

AnEternalEnigma said:
Anyone else having issues using the PSN+ cloud save system with this game? My friend uploaded his save to the cloud about an hour ago and then came over to my place. When he tried to copy it to my HDD, this is the error message that he got:

2h3x8wj.jpg
Uhh... I think you can't download it until tomorrow? It says pretty clearly in the prompt...

Grisby said:
I'm at 720p and haven't seen any screen tearing. I was actually a little baffled because it was brought up and usually I'm sensitive to these things.
Thanks grisby. Hopefully we can knock that complaint on the head now.

I'm on 3-2 and kinda wishing I'd picked the hardest difficulty. Still we shall see how hard it gets by the end. Still early days.

Generally I'm really enjoying it so far though. The run animation is awful but that's my biggest complaint so far. I like the gameplay a lot it controls great like you'd expect from mikami.

Music is awesome of course and the writing is pure Suda so for me the collaboration works. I'd rate Alice higher so far, but its another really good sleeper kind of game.

Anyone bitching about no new IP better buy this.

And Alice, which is practically new IP.

Teknoman

So then Alice is actually good too? There was a PC release for that one as well right (probably so, since the first one released on PC).

Top Bottom