• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

Since I've been playing a bit, I thought I'd chime in. So far the game seems pretty solid. It has the same things I like about RE4, the tense gun play. Are all the complaints I've seen in reviews about how the game feels old because it lacks a cover system? Well I don't know, but that seems like it to me. Quite honestly though that's what I wanted. Thanks to the darkness mechanic and the how you are a magnet to the enemies, the game has many tense moments like RE4. But so far it does seem a bit more arcadey and simple compared to that game. Not a bad thing though. But as far as the mechanics go, they are very solid, even maybe great. It's also nice that it's full of personality, even if it doesn't go as far with it's Suda 51ness like Killer 7 or the first NMH. Still it's a very good game.
Teknoman said:
So then Alice is actually good too? There was a PC release for that one as well right (probably so, since the first one released on PC).
Yes. I've been playing that recently and I would say it's a very good game. A real game and maybe that's why it's gotten mixed reviews.

D3adend

Neo Member
Oh comparison wars!
Choose achievements or trophies, as looking at those dumb side-by-side pics the only difference visually seems to be gamma/brightness.
Or pick based on what controller you like more for shooting.

It's a rad game, it's got great pacing in terms of getting new shit and changing things up, or doing something.

It's a game that manages to feel more tense/intense than it should logically feel. I think it might have to do with how short the lifebar is compared to how many healing items are around.

It's also so much better than Resident Evil 5. Walking and shooting like a boss.

My current thing is pumping the lightshot's power up, so I can basically stun/brutal every dude easily. I'm sure I'm missing some red gems.. oh well.

So what would be worse:
No New Game+, or New Game+ as DLC?

Solune said:
Uhh... I think you can't download it until tomorrow? It says pretty clearly in the prompt...

He never downloaded it before coming over here. And nothing else we've ever uploaded to the cloud has had a once-a-day download limit.

Dizzle24

Just finished the game on Demon Hunter. What a fucking ride! I'm going to replay starting tomorrow.
I really hope for a sequel...SOOOOON.

So good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Teknoman said:
So then Alice is actually good too? There was a PC release for that one as well right (probably so, since the first one released on PC).
Alice and this are the best two games I've played this year not biased by my Yakuza boner

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
StuBurns said:
Have you played Portal 2?
Yes. I didn't like the direction they went with it being more about finding where the spots were rather than just making your own portals anywhere and figuring it out like that.

george_us

The atmosphere reminds me a bit of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne only with more humor. Liking the game overall but like some have said, the game does feel a bit simple.

Solune

AnEternalEnigma said:
He never downloaded it before coming over here. And nothing else we've ever uploaded to the cloud has had a once-a-day download limit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423920

You didn't mention it but, just wanted to say I wasn't trying to be snarky just in case.

Anyways I'll quote the bit that's in the post that I just linked to.

If the developer has chosen to implement copy protection on their game saves, you can still copy those files to Online Storage but there will be a 24 hour period, after each save, before you can then download them on any PS3.

I guess the cloud saves that you had been using before allowed it but not in this case. I haven't used cloud saving so I can't say based on experience.

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
Yes. I didn't like the direction they went with it being more about finding where the spots were rather than just making your own portals anywhere and figuring it out like that.
A fair complaint certainly. And 'better than Portal 2' is hardly going to unsell me on Damned. It's getting to the point where I'm going to just end up buying it without waiting to kill some of my planned backlog as I'd hoped.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
StuBurns said:
A fair complaint certainly. And 'better than Portal 2' is hardly going to unsell me on Damned. It's getting to the point where I'm going to just end up buying it without waiting to kill some of my planned backlog as I'd hoped.
To be fair, I am NOT a huge puzzle or Valve fan, and Mikami is one of my favorite Japanese developer, so I'm definitely showing some bias

Teknoman

Discotheque said:
DLC would be stupid, but if it's less than 2 bucks I'd get it for the new game +, but it really should be included free with a patch.

Yeah DMD 100% needs a new game + and very hard difficulty (DMD/Damned Hunter?) patch as soon as possible.

Snipes424

D3adend said:
Oh comparison wars!
Choose achievements or trophies, as looking at those dumb side-by-side pics the only difference visually seems to be gamma/brightness.
Or pick based on what controller you like more for shooting.

This can't be quoted enough. I don't know about everyone else but I am getting so sick of the comparison bullshit. As long as it's not a bayonetta disaster then who cares.

It seems like people only care about sales and pixels these days and it's depressing. Whatever happened to enjoying games because of fun and gameplay? Not because 2 flowers are missing or the game wont be in the top 10 NPD for the month, oh no!

But anyway back on topic, I watched the quick look on Giant Bomb and was very impressed, probably going to pick it up tomorrow.

StuBurns

Banned
zoner said:
To be fair, I am NOT a huge puzzle or Valve fan, and Mikami is one of my favorite Japanese developer, so I'm definitely showing some bias
I love Mikami certainly, the fact that you equate it more as a Mikami game is exciting in of itself. While I think Killer7 and NMHs had interesting aspects, but actually playing them was a terrible experience. I've been waiting for a Suda game that has gameplay that stands up to the trappings of the package. Looks like might be what I've been waiting for.

Snipes424, what's the big deal? If I can play either, what's wrong with wanting to play the better one?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Loving this game so far, huge grin on my face while playing. Noticed some minor screen tearing in the 360 version in 1080p like others have mentioned, but nothing major so far or I'm blind.

I wish RE5 had controlled this well.

Snipes424

StuBurns said:
Snipes424, what's the big deal? If I can play either, what's wrong with wanting to play the better one?

Because the comparisons have become absurd and it's taking the focus off what really matters in video games. On top of that, most people don't care if a version runs or looks a tiny bit better, they just want justification about the version they were going to buy anyway.

Persona7

Banned
Game is pretty cool.

I just bought both versions so I can share with my friend and because I got a rad discount on both copies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really don't think there's anything they can do to make the game difficult. The roll and light shot is way too good, they'd have to make it pretty much one hit deaths to do anything, and that would just be annoying.

green_focus

This game is full of tiger blood & Adonis DNA. so much winning going on here my brain feels like it's going to explode.

Only put in 30 min or so but it feels like RE4 with a dash of shadow hearts 2 if shadow hearts was an action series. That with a dash oh House of the dead overkill with less cheese.

Awesome soundtrack, fits the game well. Interesting enemy design thus far. Got a little hung up trying to switch weapons but whatev'. Having a great time with this one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This thread is killing me. I didn't want to pick it up yet because I'm playing OoT on 3DS, but god dammit, I think I have to pick this up tomorrow...

Well, I certainly like it a lot. I dig the style, and some of the music reminds me of the Suspiria score. Gameplay is simple and fun. I can see myself replaying this a lot and definitely going for all the trophies as they seem pretty fair and actually fun to go for.

I'm nearing the end and I'm really loving it. I'm a huge Suda51 fan and while I miss the lack of his truly out there stuff, I also dig the crazy B-movie flavor of SotD. Definitely an awesome game. The music and sound design is incredible.

Also, I've been both playing SotD and watching the Larry Sanders Show on Netflix over the last few days. If anyone's familiar with that show, I had the craziest dream last night where I was playing Shadows of the Damned but Johnson was replaced by the sidekick Hank from the show haha.

rdrr gnr

This being Suda 51, the art direction wasn't as crazy as I thought. Overall, I enjoyed playing it, but I wouldn't consider it anything special.

Music is superb however, will be picking up the OST.

canadian crowe said:
Just beat it. Great game.

A question about the end:
was Paula always Fleming's mistress, or was that just a product of him kidnapping her?

I think it was all along. You know how Fleming calls Garcia at the end? Think back to Garcia's story about how Paula screamed at him for trying to answer a phone call previously. I think that call was from Fleming.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the GB quick look and almost immediately ordered the game.

Sorry for the terribly obvious questions that have probably been answered over and over again, but how long is the game, is there a new game + and are there cool post-game unlockables?

rdrr gnr

Rez said:
I watched the GB quick look and almost immediately ordered the game.

Sorry for the terribly obvious questions that have probably been answered over and over again, but how long is the game, is there a new game + and are there cool post-game unlockables?
6-10 hours. There is no new game + feature. Trophies/Achievements for difficulty DO NOT STACK. There are no post-game unlockables.

Edit: There is a bonus difficulty.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MuseManMike said:
6-10 hours. There is no new game + feature. Trophies/Achievements for difficulty DO NOT STACK. There are no post-game unlockables.
That's a huge shame. :(

Looks like this will be a play and trade.

Diebuster

canadian crowe said:
Just beat it. Great game.

A question about the end:
was Paula always Fleming's mistress, or was that just a product of him kidnapping her?

I might be completely off the mark here, but I think Paula is the demon hunter in red from the story Johnson tells Garcia. Fleming does say Paula looks good in red, and it would explain her transformation at the end.

Yuterald

MuseManMike said:

There is actually a 4th unlockable difficulty. I believe it's called Satanic Hell. I played through the game on Legion Hunter first so I'm not sure if you have to beat the game on the highest difficulty available first to unlock it. So far it seems like enemies do way more damage and Red Gems cost 150 instead of 130, was it, on Legion Hunter?

But yeah, no new game+ or anything, worst part about the game. Good luck trying to max out all weapons on the 4th difficulty. It's probably not going to happen even with grinding for white gems at certain spots (max carry limit is 999, btw).

Diebuster said:
I might be completely off the mark here, but I think Paula is the demon hunter in red from the story Johnson tells Garcia. Fleming does say Paula looks good in red, and it would explain her transformation at the end.

I don't even remember that conversation at all. Both answers might be right though. Paula clearly isn't a fan of demons since she prefers Garcia.

Her being a demon might explain why they didn't die when they were consumed by darkness near the end.

Persona7

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Anyone else having issues using the PSN+ cloud save system with this game? My friend uploaded his save to the cloud about an hour ago and then came over to my place. When he tried to copy it to my HDD, this is the error message that he got:

2h3x8wj.jpg
You have to wait 24 hours after uploading.

Same thing when downloading as well. 24 hours in between.

Rez said:
That's a huge shame. :(

Looks like this will be a play and trade.

Wow, from Mikami this feels unexpected and cheap. Suda as well.

I guess Alice will be my guilty pleasure for the month of June then. Will pick this up eventually and will definitely buy the OST to support Yamaoka

plagiarize said:
Yeah I'm certain that setting the 360 to 720p eliminates the screen tear, I am just waiting for someone else to back me up on it. Stubs 360 version is screentear free if you set your 360 to 720p.

I am sure of it.

tried your advice here and no dice. there might be less of it but it's not completely gone.

anways game is really fun. i'll probably end up buying it soon even though i'll have it beaten by then.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh wow, I didn't realize you actually do unlock another difficulty after beating hard atleast. Too bad you can't skip the cutscenes or the tutorial stuff, lol.

Oh dear lord I love this game. Incredible atmosphere, tight gameplay, great soundtrack, surprisingly funny (in a really campy, immature sort of way), and just all around well designed.

I had such a good time playing it. My only complaint was that it was a little too easy, so I guess that means legion slayer would have been a better choice.

Papercuts said:
Oh wow, I didn't realize you actually do unlock another difficulty after beating hard atleast. Too bad you can't skip the cutscenes or the tutorial stuff, lol.

Needs to be like RE4 where you can skip everything including a 5 second scene of a switch being flipped.

Curufinwe

I spent a couple of hours last night replaying the start of the game until I got the Nasty Headache Achievement (5 headshots in a row with any weapon other than the Big Boner). It would have only been an hour if I could have skipped the cutscenes.

Non-stacking difficulty Achievements combined with non-skipable cutscenes would have been sloppy game design in 2006, let alone in 2011.

I was playing through RE5 for the first time before picking this up. I find Shadows of the Damned to be a much better experience although both are great games.

I find it funny how you unlock a 5pt acheivement just by starting the game.lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Curufinwe said:
I spent a couple of hours last night replaying the start of the game until I got the Nasty Headache Achievement (5 headshots in a row with any weapon other than the Big Boner). It would have only been an hour if I could have skipped the cutscenes.

Non-stacking difficulty Achievements combined with non-skipable cutscenes would have been sloppy game design in 2006, let alone in 2011.
I loathe to see the day when anything related to an achievement affects the score

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aaand its over.

Absolutely loved it. Typically clunky Grasshopper gameplay, but the package as a whole delivered exactly what I wanted. The shooting was satisfying, and the game never devolved into mindless corridor running. New mechanics, enemies, concepts and environments were introduced right through to the end. Level design, while linear, was satisfying to navigate and used well in the various goat head/switch puzzles. Every gun was useful (if overpowered by the end), and it was great to see secondary modes used for puzzles and fights. Battling enemies was a joy thanks to solid shooting mechanics that were very similar to Resident Evil 4, and creative enemy types with weaknesses that were never tedious to exploit (though occasionally quite easy).

Progressing through the game I was always excited to see what would be around the next corner. Whether it be a new gameplay idea or a bizarre character, I never knew what it would be.

As a game described as a 'road trip', that is exactly what it felt like. One long adventure with a colourful cast of characters, crazy events to remember, and a rich variety of locations. Throw in a satisfying ending (mechanically and story wise) and a sublime soundtrack and you've got yourself a winner.

Love love loved it.

Diebuster said:

Though it was never explicitly said, this is what I figured too. Especially since Paula is killed over and over and over and over, and the story said that Flemming took great pleasure in killing the hunter in red over and over.

Curufinwe

Even if you leave Achievements out of it, I can't remember the last game I played that didn't let you skip cutscenes. And you can only pause them on the 360 version by pulling out the battery pack.

Top Bottom