• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadows of the Damned - |OT| of Demons and Girlfriends from Hell

PS3 problem here:

Whenever I put the game in the tv gives a no signal for both video and audio output, it happened the very first time I put the game in but after that it was smooth sailing till today. I literally tried 8 times and it did the same thing.

help?

G.O.O.

Bought my copy, played a few minutes. Gameplay is great, don't really care about visual problems. The translation seems to suck though ("lemon hunter" has been translated, and "lemon" doesn't sound like "demon" in my language, it just sounds dumb)

Also, are the cutscenes really dark for anyone else ? (PS3 version here)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Finaika said:
How does this compare to, lets say Vanquish?

In what sense? Just from watching footage it's pretty obvious that it's not much like Vanquish beyond superficial aspects like being in third person and involving shooting.

Persona7

Banned
G.O.O. said:
Bought my copy, played a few minutes. Gameplay is great, don't really care about visual problems. The translation seems to suck though ("lemon hunter" has been translated, and "lemon" doesn't sound like "demon" in my language, it just sounds dumb)

Also, are the cutscenes really dark for anyone else ? (PS3 version here)
It is not supposed to be demon.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Persona7 said:
It is not supposed to be demon.

Not sure what you're saying exactly, but the gag is clearly based on the similarity of the words "demon" and "lemon" so it doesn't make a lot of sense to translate "lemon" into another language. The joke should have been rewritten but I guess they couldn't spare the 4 seconds it took to come up with any of the jokes in the game.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've just started my second playthrough towards the Platinum after finishing the first. Really liked the ending.

Nemesis_

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Not sure what you're saying exactly, but the gag is clearly based on the similarity of the words "demon" and "lemon" so it doesn't make a lot of sense to translate "lemon" into another language. The joke should have been rewritten but I guess they couldn't spare the 4 seconds it took to come up with any of the jokes in the game.

I dunno, I think Lemon has been a word Suda has associated with being crap in other games, at least that's how I remember it. It could also be a tie back to his "Bitter" mode in No More Heroes.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Nemesis556 said:
I dunno, I think Lemon has been a word Suda has associated with being crap in other games, at least that's how I remember it. It could also be a tie back to his "Bitter" mode in No More Heroes.

If it's a reference to past Suda stuff, then that makes more sense and I withdraw my comment.

Nemesis_

I love the way Christopher is surrounded by blue and the music almost always becomes calmer. It really reminds me of the merchant from RE4, down to the blue flames too. Except I can't (and will never want to <3) kill Christopher.

Montresor

Anyone else think this is one of the best looking games on the 360. The graphics are good technically but what impresses me the most is the colourful art style. It's a damn demon hunting game so I was expecting gloomy dark colours all around but the game is always so beautiful. I love how bright and crisp and smooth everything looks. Everything seems to have a beautiful glow to it in this game.

I also adore the music. The music at the save file selection screen gets me so pumped! It's the really slow guitar tune.

novery

Anybody get the "Fiesta Caliente!" achievement? (Defeat 5 enemies at once using the Hot Boner)

I would like to achieve this, but no clue how!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
novery said:
Anybody get the "Fiesta Caliente!" achievement? (Defeat 5 enemies at once using the Hot Boner)

I assume you'd have to use the secondary fire. There cant be many places in the game where you're swamped with that many enemies though.

Is it sad that, despite having a lot of fun with the game so far and loving the atmosphere, that hearing Silent Hill 2 music within the first hour is what truly makes me feel like the $60 was justified?

edit: damn now Homecoming music and SH2 music at the same time! son of a bitch!

Wazzim

Banned
Has someone seen both versions running? Which is better? I just watched the quick-look and it's exactly what I would expect from a Suda51 game, gotta get it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Man im not sure about this game. Watched the entire preview on Giant Bomb and this game just looks horrible. Yeah it has a good art style but the cheesy ass lines, and the goofy and outrageous characters just makes it look to me like a crap game.

Now I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just not a fan of these artsy over gameplay type of games at $60.00 each his own, but the cheesy stuff kills it for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dorfdad said:
Man im not sure about this game. Watched the entire preview on Giant Bomb and this game just looks horrible. Yeah it has a good art style but the cheesy ass lines, and the goofy and outrageous characters just makes it look to me like a crap game.

Now I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just not a fan of these artsy over gameplay type of games at $60.00 each his own, but the cheesy stuff kills it for me.

Artsy over gameplay? I think maybe you're mistaking this for a more pretentious kind of game.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
See you got your feathers ruffled :) Not downing anyone who likes the game. I just feel the art style was way eastern, and the chessy dialog took away from what could have been a better game. However I've not played it and should just leave it at that.

Ill continue to read these impressions but im starting to think im not a true GAFFER since I don't play games in my argyle socks and scotch..

I guess I just prefer different types of games.

Dorfdad said:
See you got your feathers ruffled :) Not downing anyone who likes the game. I just feel the art style was way eastern, and the chessy dialog took away from what could have been a better game. However I've not played it and should just leave it at that.

Ill continue to read these impressions but im starting to think im not a true GAFFER since I don't play games in my argyle socks and scotch..

nothing wrong with the gameplay in this. nothing wrong at all. animation is janky, but the gameplay is good. i don't think it's an art over gameplay kind of game, even though i do like those kind of games.

rdrr gnr

Dorfdad said:

? Read harder.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dorfdad said:

I don't actually see any ruffled feathers except for yours. I think people are confused as to why you think the game is "artsy". The Last Guardian is "artsy". This is a juvenile, gory gun-toting romp.

And you seem pretty defensive yourself if you poke fun at other GAFFERs without a whole lot of provocation. What kind of games do you like?

GuardianE said:
I think people are confused as to why you think the game is "artsy". The Last Guardian is "artsy". This is a juvenile, gory gun-toting romp.

And you seem pretty defensive yourself if you poke fun at other GAFFERs without a whole lot of provocation. What kind of games do you like?
he likes whatever games won't get him accused of wearing argyle. obviously.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
GuardianE said:
I don't actually see any ruffled feathers except for yours. I think people are confused as to why you think the game is "artsy". The Last Guardian is "artsy". This is a juvenile, gory gun-toting romp.

No I'm just defensive because 99% of the time if you go against something here you get lambasted.

My game choices are Mostly Western RPG types (Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fallout, Starcraft, Battlefield BC2, COD X, And Nintendo games.

The socks thing was a joke :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dorfdad said:
No I'm just defensive because 99% of the time if you go against something here you get lambasted.

My game choices are Mostly Western RPG types (Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fallout, Starcraft, Battlefield BC2, COD X, And Nintendo games.

So, you like mainstream Western games, and really only mainstream games. Nothing wrong with that, but non-mainstream games aren't "artsy" by default. It kinda makes you look like you don't know what "artsy" means.

Dorfdad said:

i think the word you're looking for is cult. i think that fits.

Trevelyon

Gosh! Fourth lock-up between two PS3 slims. All well ventilated, currently about 9 degrees in the room, dead of winter, noticing it happens in brief transitionary moments, like for example when you mash square to light the fireworks, it just hangs and never comes back.

Been noticing a few weird hitches or hang ups with gameplay to in-game cutscenes transitions, like when
George's beast form gets beheaded by Death, it sort of stutters into the cutscene, not smooth at all.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
novery said:

Just wait till you get to an area with 5 or more enemies and put the charged bomb shot things all around the room(I think the amount you can put down is unlimited?) and shoot one to set off a chain reaction explosion. As long as the enemies are inside the bombs radius they should die and you'll get the achievement.

Montresor

Garcia Hotspur is your GAF handle??? Holy shit!

And I love this game so much. This will probably be my goty. Perfect RE4 game play mixed with crazy Suda style IMO. Love it.

Ridley327

Garcia Hotspur said:
Just wait till you get to an area with 5 or more enemies and put the charged bomb shot things all around the room(I think the amount you can put down is unlimited?) and shoot one to set off a chain reaction explosion. As long as the enemies are inside the bombs radius they should die and you'll get the achievement.
The best place for this is right after the first confrontation with
Elliot
, since they throw about 6-7 normal demons at you and they're all quite slow.

Hex

Banned
Shalashaska161 said:
So is the 360 version the one to get? Been thinking of trading in L.A. Noir towards this.

People who are squabbling all this time about which version to get, really need therapy.
Buy the PS3 version.
But the 360 version.
But any version.
You have heard from both sides, and you will not get the answer that you want.
I will tell you that the PS3 version has been fantastic with no issues and no tearing.
Others will say the same about 360.
Others will say that the PS3 of the 360 has tearing or whatever.
Just play and enjoy the game, obviously neither side has had any gripes.

StuBurns

Banned
Hex said:
People who are squabbling all this time about which version to get, really need therapy.
Buy the PS3 version.
But the 360 version.
But any version.
You have heard from both sides, and you will not get the answer that you want.
I will tell you that the PS3 version has been fantastic with no issues and no tearing.
Others will say the same about 360.
Others will say that the PS3 of the 360 has tearing or whatever.
Just play and enjoy the game, obviously neither side has had any gripes.
How is this post at all helpful to anyone?

Consoles aren't different, if the PS3 version has screentear, all PS3 versions do, if you can see it or not.

I don't see why people have a bug up their arses about people wanting to buy the better version.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What an amazing game. Definitely Suda51's best. If anything, it has the strongest game play.

I had no idea it would be this good from what media I saw pre-release, and wouldn't have even thought about picking it up without GAF's impressions.

My only problem with it are the pre-rendered movies that play pretending to be in-game in-engine cutscenes. My god do they look awful. Is there better compression on them in the PS3 SKU, given there is more space on the disc?

StuBurns said:

Consoles aren't different, if the PS3 version has screentear, all PS3 versions do, if you can see it or not.

I don't see why people have a bug up their arses about people wanting to buy the better version.
i'm sure you do know why.

some people don't get that some of us can afford to have every platform. it doesn't occur to them that maybe we own every platform in no small part so that we can always play the better version of any game.

Wazzim

Banned
StuBurns said:

360 version it is then, thanks!

StuBurns

Banned
plagiarize said:
i'm sure you do know why.

some people don't get that some of us can afford to have every platform. it doesn't occur to them that maybe we own every platform in no small part so that we can always play the better version of any game.
Maybe. And I don't want to sound too harsh, there's nothing wrong with not caring which version is better, but there's also certainly nothing wrong with wanting to know which is better.
Wazzim said:
I'm not saying the 360 version is better. I don't know yet, mixed reports. Hopefully DF will have a breakdown soon.

Hex

Banned
Wazzim said:
360 version has it too.
That was my point is that both versions have issues depending on who you ask.
The game is too good to not play though so pick a version and enjoy the ride.

StuBurns

Banned
Hex said:
360 version has it too.
That was my point is that both versions have issues depending on who you ask.
The game is too good to not play though so pick a version and enjoy the ride.
Some GAFfers are saying it doesn't if you set it to 720p.

Tokubetsu

It doesn't matter what anyone else says as long as you're the one bursting with love for the game.

O2eSE.gif

Hex

Banned
StuBurns said:
Maybe. And I don't want to sound too harsh, there's nothing wrong with not caring which version is better, but there's also certainly nothing wrong with wanting to know which is better.

I'm not saying the 360 version is better. I don't know yet, mixed reports. Hopefully DF will have a breakdown soon.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the best version, people should want the best version.

But people have become so anal that there HAS to be huge issues with one version when shockingly enough there can be games where it is pretty much neck and neck.
If the issue is so minute that you have to count frames and investigate that hard then gaming has become a sad mess.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
StuBurns said:

This is the first I've heard of this (this thread). Is there any validity to it or is it a placebo effect? I mean, it seems like a pretty simple solution to a lot of games' screen tearing.

StuBurns said:
i think i saw some last night, early on in chapter 3.

it probably drops vsync when it drops below 30 fps. so far that doesn't seem to happen much at all... but it might become more common as the game goes on if it starts throwing more stuff at you at once.

until DF report back, i'll keep updating you.
GuardianE said:
This is the first I've heard of this (this thread). Is there any validity to it or is it a placebo effect? I mean, it seems like a pretty simple solution to a lot of games' screen tearing.
tearing is CONSTANT and obvious for me when i set my 360 to 1080p. i have experienced this before. sometimes when i have experienced it, setting the game to 720p greatly reduces or resolves the issue. RE5 was such a game. sometimes it doesn't.

since setting it to 720p i've seen tearing in one scene. it could have happened more than that, but if it did, it happened near the top of the screen where it isn't really noticeable.

it's not a placebo effect though no, because at 1080p tearing is constant. it's not that tearing is occasional, and so it could be placebo where you think it's less occasional with one or the other. at 1080p it seems to always tear.

i usually leave my 360 set to 1080p cause we use it for netflix and streaming videos from my PC some of which are 1080p. any time a game has constant tearing, dropping down to 720p is always the first thing i try, because as mentioned, it often resolves it. this was one of those times.

Curufinwe

I only played Act 1-1 in 720p last night, but I didn't see any tearing there. This weekend I'll pick up again at the start of 2-2 and see if the fairly constant tearing I saw playing 2-1 in 1080p is gone.

360 Dashboard is really compressed in 720p.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
That was a bunch of fun with some inspired moments, but probably one of my least favourite Grasshopper games. It never really seems to go all the way with anything, and I would have preferred either Kurayami or the 'out there' original version that EAP kaiboshed - in comparison the tone feels like they're taking the piss out of 'what the West wants'. (And not that well.) It's all very machined and controlled where I was hoping for carefree and punk, although not as disappointingly so as Bulletstorm.

Still, it was a great couple of rides, thanks in no small part to Steve Blum clearly enjoying the hell out of his role and that I would happily go gay for Garcia. The quality of character design is all over the place, but he and Christopher are absolutely amazing.

Tain

I'd imagine that those more interested in the Grasshopper presentation than the action itself would consider this their least favorite Grasshopper game.

StuBurns

Banned
GuardianE said:
It's not like a fix all for all games or anything. But there are games where the upscaling introduces (more) screen tearing. In fact a bizarre one is when running Mirror's Edge in SD you get way more screen tear on PS3.

plagiarize said:
i think i saw some last night, early on in chapter 3.

it probably drops vsync when it drops below 30 fps. so far that doesn't seem to happen much at all... but it might become more common as the game goes on if it starts throwing more stuff at you at once.

until DF report back, i'll keep updating you.
That's cool thanks. I'm in no rush, it'll be a week or two before I get it no doubt. I wonder if they'll even be a DF thing though, there isn't one for Alice yet.

EDIT: Actually, now there is an Alice one.

Top Bottom